• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 602 Views, 29 Comments

A Heart as Red as Love - sharkray24



Nurse Reeda Heartley (Red Heart as most ponies call her) has a very stressful job and finally she meets her breaking point. Can she go on like this?

  • ...
4
 29
 602

Awake and Walk

When I woke up there was silence, and after a few seconds, noise erupted around me. The slow beep of the heart monitor, the flipping of papers, the voices of several different ponies. I saw blurs as different ponies moved across the room. I slowly started to be able to make out the different shapes of ponies. Slowly, ever so slowly, the sounds became more audible. When the chaos had died down, a doctor came up next to me, and I heard him say “Miss Red Heart, can you hear and understand what I am saying? If yes blink twice.”

I strain my mind, trying to make myself blink, once. It was harder to re-open them than it was to close them. I strained again and gave a second slow blink. The tension in the room seemed to loosen its grip by quite a bit.

“OK Red, this is a very interesting situation you've found yourself in, you see, you were dead for about three minutes.” He paused to let that sink in. “Dr. Bris was about to unplug you after one minute, but Dr. Goodwin stopped and insisted on giving you more time, they got into an argument which soon became physical and they are both in their offices cooling off. We've sent word to them that you are awake again.”

I heard a familiar deep, feminine voice say, “It’s like she rose from the dead or something like that. Damn.” It was Sugar Spoon standing on the right side of my bed.

Just then the door opened and Dr. Bris, and Dr. Goodwin entered the room, the pale yellow walls outlining their figures. The ceiling fan turned around and made a click with every rotation. “See I told you she would be OK!” snapped Dr. Goodwin.
“Don’t be stupid, it’s only mere chance that your constant screaming brought her to.” Dr. Bris snapped back. “Besides, it’s a lost cause anyway.”

“There’s no such thing as a lost cause.” retorted Dr. Goodwin.

“Yes there is, sometimes it’s better to know when to not waste the resources so you don’t lose more lives than you have to.”

“Dear Luna, shut up!” the shout came from a place nopony could tell. Until that is, they noticed me sitting up in my bed.” My heart monitor was beeping at a fast rate; my mane had been taken out of its bun and hung over my eyes. I turned to get out of bed and stepped onto the cold tile floor.

“Red. You shouldn't be doing that.” Said the first Doctor who I had seen when I woke up.

I didn't listen to him; I continued walking towards Dr. Hugh Bris, with every step pulling off another wire and occasionally a tube. Where the tubes had been pulled out, blood started to seep out. “You are the most coldblooded, no-good; low down, sorry excuse for a Doctor I have ever met Mr. Bris.”

“That’s Dr. Bris!” he replied sharply.

“See, you before you think about the harm happening to your patients, you’re concerned if everypony knows you have a piece of paper with three letters on it. You do not deserve the title of ‘Doctor’ or any other title worthy of mention.” I stopped in front of him, looking at him through my mane. He showed no emotion what so ever. He was so pathetic; I just wanted to kill him. But instead I tilted my head up to his face and spat. What came out was a mixture of saliva and blood. As my blood splattered on the lenses of his glasses, his emotion didn't change; he kept a straight look, even as the blood made contact with his face. I gritted my teeth for about a second and then started coughing up blood violently onto the floor. As I stood there, blood running down my chin, neck, torso, and even to my leg I heard the muffled sound of Dr. Bris’s voice saying, “Miss Heart, you’re fired.” in a flat, emotionless tone.

I looked up in disbelief, what? Fired? No that can’t be, I had patients to take care of, and they expected to see me every other day. What would happen if there was a change in routine, especially to the younger or less stable patients? Little Jingle Bells who had always loved to see me every day, to be honest, I think he had some puppy love for me, he would be heartbroken. I couldn't perceive what reality was and what was not. The room was spinning, and my knees became weak. I felt tears running down my face, and then, I blacked out.