• Published 30th Aug 2013
  • 325 Views, 4 Comments

The Settlement of Loyalties - LeeWhiteField



Following the conclusion of a massive conflict spawned by radical pegasi and griffins over the Lunar Moth's revolutionary advent, the mane six pick up the pieces as peace tentatively returns.

  • ...
 4
 325

Bustling in Canterlot

Canterlot was glistening. Gifted with sunshine that was typical of the months leading up to the beginning of winter in tandem with fiery trees that would soon require the athleticism of ponies in one of the two remaining “Running of the Leaves” in Equestria to free said receptacles of sunlight from the unflinching grasp of their branches, the city was as beautiful as ponies liked to remember it. It was certainly busy as well.

The damage from the events surrounding the early days of the war as well as the griffins’ strike and subsequent occupation of the outskirts, whose perpetrators had managed to cover the ground between the east coast and the capital before the Wonderbolts could intercept, was fully repaired at this point with the exception of the palace which was nearing completion. The defenses, however, were bulked up to a point at which they were even more constricting than the network that had been in place during the royal wedding of the still relatively new Crystal Empress and her dauntless but somewhat less jovial husband as of late. Today, as it had been for the first half of the week that had past, the city was in a state of unusually high alertness thanks to what The Daily Equestrian was referring to as possibly the greatest triumph of the last century and certainly the last decade. After all, it had been at nearly 100 years since a royal palace for the Equestrian diarchs had been completed; and the fact that it was even grander than the original iconic “residence on the cliff” had made it a rally point for the entire nation.

Throughout its pristinely handsome whitewashed streets with their indistinguishable layout inspired by the city’s sister metropolis of Percheronis, the capital of Prance, ponies were buzzing with chatter regarding the event scheduled to commence in two days. They were draping, rigging, and painting Equestrian flags all over the city’s elegant buildings with their noteworthy architectural mix of late Queen Victrottian era and Versaillerion. These had become an increasingly more common sight on virtually every structure in the country since the griffons had been repulsed from the capital. Following the destruction of the palace by a Pegasus squadron which had razed it with portable griffon bombs, ponies had become friendlier to one another in Canterlot albeit more paranoid. It was one of the more uplifting stories to come out of the war and certainly one of the most patriotic. Nowhere was this more apparent than Canterlot’s main street.

The royal boulevard was flanked with banners and murals painted on the walls of public and private structures alike by independent artists. These works had been embraced when the city was in desperate need of refurbishing and depicted everything from reverent tributes to the princesses in their blessed glory and the ponies of the new Equestrian Response Force who had not come back from their first assignments, to lighthearted stories in pictures of the heavenly regents when they were still fillies who argued with their surrogate parents about bedtimes and most notably that of the Pegathlon that had made the Lunar Moth a household name.

These paintings were designed as much to conceal damages as they were to help ponies forgive the contraption for its surmised role in causing the Flight War when they observed the brave face of the flight suit’s notoriously dashing test pilot Pip and the deadpan face of the hapless Sir Paladin as he pursued the Moth’s underhanded contenders only to have his coat dyed a ridiculous pink as a result of one of their traps. It gave them something to laugh at which in itself had become a rarity throughout the nation.

Canterlot’s impressive courthouse had witnessed a massive increase in hoof traffic with its partial conversion into a royal court. It now bore a painting in its rotunda depicting the endless cycle of the princesses heavenly duties atop a perfectly balanced crystal scale with a prismatic aura. It was the fourth major alteration to the décor since the court of law had been established. While the demi-goddess sisters had steered clear of any interference with the court’s traditional responsibility of deciding cases that had violated royal edicts from at least 10 years prior, the stern faced but respectful justices and their zealous but humorously naïve clerks were ready to get their building back. Across the street however, at what was arguably the most beautiful of the public complexes, a certain former student of the regent of the sun was still enjoying her new quarters to no end.

Twilight Sparkle understood and was highly supportive of the new palace’s construction but she was nonetheless perfectly at home in her room in the far corner of the library. Her apartment, which had been an office before the original convening site of the royal court’s destruction, was small but cozy. It had actually been an offer by the head librarian who had been a friend of Twilight’s since her elementary days and was happy to give the scholar a place to stay. He claimed that he had never needed an office anyway and preferred to do most of his work in the library’s grand rotunda of a reading room. The least utilized piece of furniture in the room itself was understandably the bed in the corner, given the co-inventor of the Lunar Moth’s nocturnal research habits. On the facing wall was a modest roll-top desk that bore the Canterlot public library’s seal, denoting its origin as a housewarming gift to the now famous academic. It was notable in that it was the only item in the room that was permitted to be disorganized. Documents that ranged from letters and papers sent by students at the Canterlot University where Twilight had taken to teaching a class based on her own famous findings on friendship, to outlines of new inventions that would contribute to the already significant array of creations from Harmony Innovations. Many of the latter were pushed to the bottom of the veritable mound of beckoning work; an indicator of the scholar’s belief that the revolutionary company would not exist if it weren’t for the principles that she and her friends extolled. This principle was further demonstrated by the bureau’s lone decoration which consisted of a picture of the lavender unicorn and her 5 closest friends in the midst of a heartfelt group hug. It kept itself free of dust thanks to the frequency with which Twilight would sit back for a study respite and pick it up with a warm smile or as of late a few tears.

The wall that the desk rested up against was the most prominent feature of the unicorn’s room in that it was completely lined with an impressive bookshelf. It was a collection that ranged from tomes which dated back to the days of Clover the Clever and her initiative into the intertribal healing power of friendship, to the latest newspapers with articles that dealt with Harmony Innovations and the great conflict that had been partially caused by radical Pegasi who refused to accept the existence of the company’s flagship product. The latter were what Twilight occasionally, and often not without a biting dose of sarcasm, referred to as her “light reading.” Nonetheless, these were the documents and resources that she preferred to have within reach of her magic rather than out in the surrounding library where she would most likely be required to conduct a search given the obscurity of many of the books she needed. With Spike living with the dragons of Quillina’s clan and serving as an envoy between his country of birth and his origins, Twilight had become better at this over the years but she still preferred to have her regular references in proximity. Currently, however, she was scurrying about her room rummaging through just about everything but her books.

A cloth bearing the Harmony Innovations insignia lay on the bed with toiletries to last for a weekend along with a few books that Twilight never had to look for on top of it already. The luggage in question were her diary, the most advanced book on magic to date in her readings which she had incidentally contributed to, and her daily agenda which she filled with events that she was likely to forget after reading her master schedule. The unicorn herself was searching through her one closet which was rapidly becoming less and less occupied as she tossed various articles of clothing and implements for daily life out behind her with focused pulses of magic after she enveloped them in an aura.

After clearing the floor of her closet to no avail in her search for a specific and special item the bearer of the Element of Magic let out an exasperated groan. “How could I have misplaced it?!” She practically hollered in a barely contained voice when one considered the location of her room. “Let me go through the process one more time. I came home with it, put it down on my desk, went out to grab some Saddle Arabian takeout from 1,001 Dishes, came back and cleaned off my desk so I could grade papers, and now I have no recollection of even touching it. This is ridiculous!” She finally blurted out, stomping her hoof which shook the bookcase against the wall just enough to knock over a book that had been standing on the very top above the shelves.
Hearing the thump Twilight peered up and urged the book down to her view with a string of magic. Instantly recognizing the title in her aura as the latest in the “Song of Eagles and Lions” series which fictionally retold the story of the Griffins’ early struggles for a single ruler, Twilight’s frustrated expression quickly became deadpan. She recalled that she had levitated the book to the area of her shelf reserved for the rare instances when she truly read for pleasure having completely forgotten that it was meant to be a gift.

“That’s the last time that I take the manager at Dishes up on his offer for a quick round of hookah.” Twilight muttered with a small smile returning as she placed the book on top of the small pile on her bed. “Let me see, my books, Rainbow’s gift, toothbrush, toothpaste, washcloth, towels, shampoo, curry comb, brush, and hoof pick. I think that about does…” She got out before being interrupted by a silvery squeal from her doorway.

She turned to see the element of Generosity peering about her room with a mixture of shock and dismay written on her alabaster face. Rarity hustled into the room as Twilight stepped forward to embrace her old friend. “Wonderful to see you darling, it always feels like too long. But please tell me, and forgive my effrontery, what happened to your boudoir?”

Twilight giggled gently at the frequency with which her encounters with Rarity began this way. “I misplaced the book that I got for Rainbow and I ended up looking everywhere but where I should have to begin with.” She said with a roll of her eyes.
“Does it not always happen that way for all of us,” replied the fashionista unicorn with a reminiscent shake of her head at the thought of the barely contained mess that was her inspiration room.

“I’m sorry about this Rarity, I know I said 1 PM but I’m going to have to reorganize quickly or I’m going to worry about it all weekend. It shouldn’t take me more than 10 minutes or take. You can wait in the reading room if you’d prefer.”

At this Rarity shook her head again before replying with a smile. “Let me give you a hoof darling. Just tell me where things go and I will find homes for them.”

Twilight turned back to look at the considerable mess before protesting. “I can handle this Rarity. It was my own fault for losing it in the first place.”

Her friend raised a hoof before saying “We might miss the train if you try that. I insist my dear.”

Twilight looked back one last time with a wan expression before acquiescing. “Alright then. Thank you Rarity you really don’t have to.”
“I want to darling.” The alabaster unicorn replied before stepping next to her scholar friend and beginning to maneuver the various components of the piles according to her friend’s indications of where each piece belonged. As they worked, progressing far more quickly than Twilight would have on her own, she reflected with a warm feeling that with the buffer that she had given them in their schedule, they still would have caught the train with time to spare even if she had cleaned up her apartment on her own. It really was nice to have friends like Rarity.

10 minutes later the two unicorns were briskly walking up to the Canterlot train station. It was going to be narrow but they knew they would make it. Along the way they chatted lightheartedly about the murals they passed, about Twilight’s newest studies which as of late were focused on a new magic driven power system for Harmony Innovations, and about Rarity’s latest addition to the Carousel Boutique line. As they reached the station they both paused for a moment as they usually did to admire the statue of Pressurized Piston, the Earth pony prodigy who had patented the engine system that was used in even the most modern steam engines. Following their reverie they crossed the threshold into the station and were greeted by the massive lobby. Despite the comparatively grim atmosphere that permeated the land of the celestial regents, the new concourse was as lively as ever. Ponies hustled to and from platforms, counters, and relatives whom they were either greeting or parting from. One such pony emitted a happy cry upon seeing the two friends approaching the central tower with its grand clock whose daily winding with its sizeable key was always a small event at the magnificent station.

Twilight could not help but smile as Rarity bounded forward to greet her younger sister. The designer had talked about Sweetie Bell incessantly during the walk. Twilight understood given her personal knowledge of how a packed schedule such as her own or that of the Canterlot Opera House diva could limit one’s contact with the most important ponies in life, who were often ironically the ones who could remind a pony of what was really important and force said pony to take a break from said seemingly indispensable schedule.

“It is so great to see you two! The dear Maestro,” she started with a genial roll of her eyes, “has determined that the only way for the choir to learn the latest arrangement is to practice each part at least 50 times. And that’s not an exaggeration.”

“Is he the same one who caught the male lead in the Rustic Cavalry when he tripped over the female’s costume and fell into the pit?” Twilight inquired with some incredulity.

Rarity nodded grimly, “Maestro Metronome certainly lives by the creed, the show must go on.”

“The reason they do go on is frequently thanks to his rehearsal techniques,” the diva conceded with a grudging smile. “But enough about me, how are you two? Have you heard from everypony else?”
Twilight giggled at the fact that she hadn’t even been chatting with Sweetie Bell for 2 minutes and she already wanted to laugh. Rarity had launched into a relation of her latest extravaganza. Twilight had heard this one before on a lunch outing and didn’t like to interrupt her friends apart from a brief interjection to remind the sisters that their train was leaving soon. She knew Rarity well enough to understand that she would get her chance to talk to Sweetie Bell in due time. As they briskly walked through the station, continuing to talk as they went, Twilight found her thoughts drifting to Ponyville.

She had been keeping in touch with Applejack and Pinkie Pie but Fluttershy had been difficult, even more so than Rainbow Dash. The latter of her Pegasi friends would at least write to her but the former had been unusually quiet, which was Twilight’s method for gently stating that she was depressed. A war invited anything but kindness and the last 4 years of constant fighting had certainly been stifling and sad for the gentle Pegasus in question. Twilight hoped that their first gathering as six blood sisters would provide some comfort for all of them. She put aside her musings as Sweetie Belle posed a question to the two older mares.
“So who exactly is there now? I know Scootaloo’s flying in tomorrow because she has to wrap up her prep for the Moon Lake tour and Applebloom told me that Pip’s riding in from Manehattan today but that’s about it.”
“We’ll probably see him on our train then.” Twilight replied. “I know Rainbow Dash got there yesterday and I think that’s everybody who’s traveling.”
“Everypony else should be there for dinner tonight and then the race itself tomorrow.” Rarity added.
“Great so we’ll have a big crowd tonight! And a Cutie Mark Crusaders reunion tomorrow!” Sweetie interjected happily.
Twilight and Rarity were now both laughing as the Manehattan Express steamed onto the West platform of the terminal. The cheerfully decorated locomotive raised a cacophony of rattles as its worn drive rods cycled through their housings. The festive heart engraved on the front of its sizeable boiler was warped as testament to the immense heat restrained within. Regardless of the ailments associated with steam propulsion the train, as per the norm, had been punctual. The clock tower within the terminal struck an echoing half hour in time with the pistons muffled bursts. Twilight, however, understood that from this point until its termination in Ponyville that the train would in all probability experience some manner of delay. Through the fault of nopony in particular, the run from Canterlot through the Stalliondoah Valley was significantly slower than the trip from Manehattan owing to kinked tracks and mechanical issues due to the locomotive draining its tanks to its last reserves of water. The scholarly mare had determined that if they were to arrive in Ponyville before six PM when dinner was scheduled at Sweet Apple Acres, they would have to set out early; even though the trip was only supposed to last three hours. As the doors opened and the three friends waited for the stream of arriving passengers to subside, Twilight glanced forward at the engine as it shrouded itself in released excess vapor.
“Just how long have we been using steam for power?” she thought as they clambered into a coach and began to search for Pip.
“Do you know where he might be darling? Rarity inquired of her sister.
“He told me once he likes to sit as far away from Manehattan on the train as you can. Something about how there are always more open seats.”
“He’s right.” Twilight replied. “That’s a commuter trick my mom would use when she worked in Manehattan. I guess it makes sense that somebody as well traveled as Pip would have figured it out too.”
Passing through the coaches as the typical influx of passengers that accompanied a stop in Canterlot sought out seats of their own, the mares had almost reached the locomotive before a friendly exclamation from nearby compartment drew their attention. With another squeal of her own, Sweetie Belle tore the door open and bounded over to Pip; wrapping him in an excited embrace. Rarity and Twilight followed her and were pleased to find that the young stallion had been the sole occupant of the compartment before their arrival.
“I honestly expected that we would have to separate right after we said hi.” Twilight commented as she pulled the Lunar Moth’s test pilot into a hug of her own.
“That’s right clever traveler’s trick at work for you.” Pip responded in a somewhat less pronounced Trottingham accent compared to when they had first been acquainted. “Simply pretend to snore like you’ve got a whoopee cushion jammed up the old nostrils and bob’s your uncle, sally’s your aunt you’ve got yourself a private compartment.”
Rarity and Sweetie Belle chuckled before proceeding to occupy the better part of three quarters of the overhead varnished wooden racks. Twilight took the seat next to Pip and placed her own light travel bag, which had been the cloth on her bed that was loaded with her supplies for two days, in a small corner above her that was empty. She and the sisters then settled in and began to ask Pip about the conclusion of his commitment to the Equestrian Scout and Runners Corps.
“Toward the end, we were mostly just lingering here and there waiting for the thanks and the all clear to pack up and head for the train station or apartment nearby if, like me, you were right lucky.”
As Pip tried to relate the process and some of the more interesting individual tales that went with it, the conductors shut their last doors and leaning out windows waved their green lanterns. The locomotive whistled a farewell to Canterlot before the coaches rocked together and apart as the rickety but nonetheless functional engine pulled forward. With the train bound for Ponyville, Twilight glanced out at the smoke and steam that rushed past their window and listened intently to the pistons as they continued their relentless pulsing; and mused. Rarity thought she caught a familiar gleam in her old friend’s eye before both turned their attention back to Pip.
“It’ll be smashing to be back in old Ponyville.” Pip stated with an excited smile that then melted to one laced with tenderness. “There’s a very special somepony that I haven’t seen in 4 years too long.”

Author's Note:

Hey guys as you've probably noticed, chapter 3 got some minor edits and this one just got a big addition. I apologize for this potentially confusing development in the story's continuity. I promise not to do this anymore. Thanks for bearing with me and again sorry. Hope you enjoy!

*All the characters and settings used herein belong to Hasbro, Lauren Faust, and Warren Hutch. This work is meant to be a fan based fiction and no copyright infringement is intended.*