• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 912 Views, 21 Comments

Celestial Tortures Book II: Nightmares - Rarity Belle



Months after the sealing of Discord, Celestia is confronted with a new thread to the land she rules and loves. But this threat is coming out of a corner she never had expected. Shall she succeed in her ridiculous quest to let the night last forever?

  • ...
3
 21
 912

Chapter 1

Being of royal blood often is to be considered a blessing by many

But few actually know that hard events that happen behind the curtains

And even less know the personal tortures

A gray magenta iris glared once again down from the window. It just looked down upon the garden below as the rain gently ticked against the very glass. Its very sound disrupting the harmonious silence that always occupied the room. The eye gradually fell upon many of the statues that were housed within the garden. Statues that were carved by the greatest artistic minds that the land had to offer. The normally so proud and joyful statues were then nothing more but gray shadows while the dark clouds moved over the ancient castle. But the eye of the white coated, multi colored maned and tailed mare, never left them alone. Her other eye was always hidden by the mane, it didn't matter in what direction they or she stood, there was always one that remained hidden from the crowds. One eye that could never be read by anypony, not even family.

Eventually did the visible eye fell upon one statue in particular. That of the only being she ever loved in her life, truly loved. The only creature that loved her, for her. A small tear ran down her face as the eye closed itself from the world. “How could I have been both so blind and stupid,” she mumbled to herself in a soft tone. She turned itself around in order to face the throne she occupied during the day. The eye was revealed once again, but was filled with a sadness of a distant past.

---

For months had it stood outside by then, all while watching the ponies around him who made fun of him every now and then. The statue was not one of just marble or granite, or any other commonly used construction material. No, this was made out of a living being. A being that had become the spirit of chaos and terrorized the land for many years until the two sisters of harmony locked him within the cold stone. It was against the will of the elder one that the creature was imprisoned into stone. The perfect place to keep the silence and powers in tone.

The mighty alicorn princess sat down on the throne with a deep sigh. She just allowed herself to drop on it without any regalness. Things have been going rather easy but in her mind it was chaos. The nature of the beast in stone never truly left her. Another deep sigh found its way out of her nose as some of the guards looked over to the princess of the sun. They were wondering if everything was alright but none of them dared to ask. But after the sigh turned the breathing into a relaxed one as her ears twitched ever so lightly at the gentle ticking of the rain.

Though locked away into his stone prison, there was that hurtful image still on his retina. One that haunted him deeper than anything. Screams, curses and pleads all did their turn within the cold rock while he tried to find a way out, day in and day out. Only to be growing even more mad over time. Able to live on but not to move, hear the outside world but not able to speak to it. It was truly the worst of the worst punishment in this land of harmony.

But things would only get worse. No matter how bad things are, it could always get worse.

---

The head of Celestia lowered itself with the golden aura around her horn. Her eye closed off from the world while she was one with the sun itself. She guided it to its place to rest before her beloved sister would raise the moon and thus allowed the stars to shine in the dark night. The lips of the princess were moving gently. Nopony heard them, but they mumbled words in an unknown language. The sun lowered itself behind the hills of the land where it allowed the skies to turn from their warm blue into an inviting red. A thing done just before the darkness took over the land and it consumed every single inch of it. The horn of the mare discharged itself thus letting the aura disappear as her head rose up. “Now, it is up to you sister. It is your turn to shine, allow the night to fall upon our land, drag it out of the horrible twilight once more,” Celestia mumbled to herself in a quiet tone. The soft clatter of her hoofshoes made its way down the path of stone.

It was when she entered the throne room that her eye caught the dark blue mare, her sister, the very princess of the night. A mare that lived her life under the name of Luna had awoken from her daily slumber as a loud yawn left her mouth before she mumbled her words. “Evening Tia.”

“Evening sister, did you sleep well?” the elder one asked in her usual and caring voice.

“Suppose it could be better, maybe a good night might actually help me to get some sleep. Say, are you going to stay for dinner with me?” she spoke and questioned in return while she tried to fight off the sleep.

Celestia gave a confirming nod to her sister, who smiled a little tired in return. Of course had the elder sister taken note of the happened events. But when she asked about it, Luna always managed to avoid the question it something else. It would be during the dinner that she would ask again and hoped for an answer, even if it wasn't one she would truly like.

“Then I shall see you after the moon rise, Tia,” the tired voice of the younger mare spoke. The sound of glass against stone did its turn over the floor once more. For they carried the alicorn out of the room and made her way over to the lunar altar in the garden.

When she stood outside made the soft blowing of the wind its way gently over her coat whereas her flowing mane and tail weren't affected by it. Her moderate cyan eyes glared into the deep darkness of the dreadful twilight. The darkness was a darkness that went back to the ancient times of ponies, a primal darkness of pure nothing. It was during that time, that critical time between day and night that the wall to the mythical ‘Void’ was at its smallest. Sometimes the spirits of other realms would find their way into the mortal world by passing through. Some being a soul granted another chance, others that would wreak chaos and disorder.

A spark went through her eyes while her horn gently charged itself in its cobalt blue aura. “The moon shall rise ever so majestically, the skies filled with my stars...I hereby, let the night begin!” Luna lowered her head so deep that her horn could touch the ground and it send pulses of magic through it. Circular pulses of blue light where literally the only things to be seen for two minutes before her head rose up carefully.

On the far horizon there was a faint light that could be seen. And soon enough became the tip of a white orb visible as her head raised itself even higher. Many small tremors did its turn through the ground as the younger sister rose upon her hind legs. “The night, has began!”

Her wings spread themselves with vast amounts of regalness before she rose up into the skies themselves. All while the orb followed with her in a graceful manner. It had began to illuminate and indulge the land within its wonderful light. Revealing the land shrouded in darkness with the only light visible being that of the orb that was the very thing she ruled over. The thing that was bounded with her name. The orb being a rock, a rock of complete silence, the always so beautiful moon.

Her horn charged up even further and released bolt after bolt into the dark skies above her. Each of them pierced the skies like it was nothing where they created holes in them which filled themselves up with light. The stars were awoken and formed their given constellations which many knew, all under the keen eyes of their goddess. High above the land the moon could be found and it would stay there for the upcoming twelve hours.

Luna allowed herself to both discharge her horn and fall back to the ground with her hooves as she smiled in the inviting light of the moon, her reign had begun. The night was hers and hers alone to rule. There where her sister took the day.

---

Upon her return into the throne room was the moon casting its wonderful light right into it, therefore creating an even more wonderful play of light. Her older sister could be found behind a table with a smile. “You never seem to fail, now do you, Luna?” she spoke with a soft chuckle.

“Never sister, I strive for perfection and you know that, perhaps better than anypony. All despite the organized chaos I drop myself in every night. So, what is up for breakfast?” Luna chuckled just before she took place on her own seat.

“The same as usual for you,” replied Celestia to her. Moments later they ate their gotten food. All while the discussion of what happened the day before took place. Many different subjects took their turn as Luna listened to each one carefully, taking them all into her mind as she took a bite out of her bread.

“So you are saying, that the guards are getting a more strict time schedule? Why was this not discussed with me before? Or do this only involve your guards?” Luna started to question after hearing the story. Something was not right, and she wanted to know the fine details of it.

Celestia gave a nod of confirmation at the question. “Why yes, they do involve my guards, but that doesn't mean yours won’t be needed. Sister, evil is raising from the kingdom in the north, it is time to prepare our defenses as well. If that heart is truly as dark as the rumors suggest, we need to be prepared with all of our might. I suggest you start to train your guards on evacuation moves, given how agile they are,” the elder sister warned, heeding the words from far north already.

A deep sigh left through the nose of Luna. The slice got place back on the plate and she glanced right in the eye of Celestia. “I can only pray those rumors aren't as bad as they, they say.” But near the end of that, a soft winch raced through her body. One that caused a flash to appear before her eyes. A horrific sight of her sister in the very stone she once was placed in, but only forever.

The elder sister took a deep note of the sudden winch in Luna and placed her fork back on the plate. Celestia would have stared a bit worried to her with her visible eye. “Woona, are you alright? For the last months, you know you can tell me everything right?” she reassured her little sister.

“I, I am alright, Tia, just didn't got as much sleep as I desired it to have, it is nothing all too serious, don’t worry too much about me please,” the younger sister replied in an instant. She shook her head a couple of times to get everything straight again.

A slight moan left the elder mare as she stood up. “Then so be it sister, but if you wish to talk, you know where to find me, I wish you a good night for now.”

Having finished her own breakfast, Luna left the table under a small sigh of discomfort before she made her way over to the throne. Her hooves made their distinct and unique clattering sound on the steps given her glass shoes. The princess reached the platform of the chair and lowered her behind on it in order to assume a sitting position. Her blue eyes just started to glaze over to the many stained glass windows, letting herself to wander off into realms where no mortal ever has been going nor ever should go through.

All of the celestial guards made their exit as their shifts were over when the princess of the sun went to bed. Each of them did their salutes before they marched out of the room as a group. For a few minutes Luna just sat there, all alone and by herself, waiting for her own guards to arrive.

When the time was there eventually, the lunar guard made their entrance through the open windows of the room. All of them looking like pegasi, but there were a couple things that made them different from the flying race. Their gray coat and wings were the most notable changes. The wings weren't as feathery, soft and warm. No, these wings were cold, skinned and boney. The wings of a bat where the ones these ponies carried, the branch of pegasi was simply known as bat ponies. Many myths and legends surround their kind as nopony, with the exception of themselves and the princess, knew their true origin. Their armor was also a lot different from the celestial guardians. Where those had smooth curves and were shining in the light, the armor of the lunar one was rough and dark both meant to indulge fear in their enemies and remain hidden in the darkness.

Two different guards, two different ways of doing their job. Celestia wasn't the biggest fan of their manners of work, but understood the way they did. Countless arguments have done their turn through the room in the months after the chaotic incident of the old love. Arguments that often ended in both sisters angrier than when they started. They would have simply walked away from each other, not speaking a single word to the other. Both of the sisters shared blood, but their personality was reflected in what they represented, they differed day and night from each other.

While the guards nodded respectfully to their master, it became obvious they all either preferred one type of weaponry or were given the order to wield it. Where spears were common by the daily guards, the nightly ones were carrying something rather unusual, a two toed claw with sparks of an electric current going through it. Metal braces connected the hoof and the weapon with each other, a fierce and powerful weapon.

The durga –as it was called– was something that had been invented by Luna herself. She never liked the original weaponry given to them. They needed something that matched their armor and personality. After a long time of thinking, that was perfect design. When in the heat of battle would the sparks become more intense which therefore created a solid, electric claw ready to both stun and shred the enemy in front of them. But as per usual she needed the acceptance of her sister, who gave it under one condition: that her own infiltrators had to get the same set of weaponry. To that, Luna got back to the drawing board and actually managed to change the electric current into a fiery one, resulting in another set of weapons which they use now. The effect is still the same with the exception that there is a claw of fire for them would be shredding and burning the objects it goes through.

---

When she saw that her guardians had taken their place, the princess of the night nodded before her eyes closed themselves for her nightly adventures. Luna had gained a power over the months after the incident that not even Celestia nor Starswirl could explain to her. But no matter what, it always felt it belonged to her, that it was her in more than one way.

Relaxed in- and exhales were made by her. She had began to call upon the magic of the night while letting her horn coat itself into the cobalt blue aura. Her mind released itself from the body. It didn't took that much longer for her eyes to open up, but instead of the cyan colored rims, all that could be seen was white. A pure white coloring had taken over as her soul joined the departing mind for the mythical realm of dreams.

A realm she owned and could bend and morph to her own desires. Giving ponies either the nicest of dreams or the worst of nightmares. Her mind and soul found themselves in the very center of this realm, a place she always explained as ‘the white plains’, for that was what it was. But from there she had an eye to every single dream in Equestria, from the just born and sleeping foal, to the elderly ponies whose time wouldn't be that long anymore.

Passed many dreams she flew, bending them to her will as she went, changing nightmares for those who didn't deserve them into dreams of fun. But she never, ever showed herself to them directly. Though there was one exception. Something terrible she had to do every night.

The guiding of the soul.

It wasn't something she liked to do but it had to be done. And that night wouldn't be any different for soon enough she found herself in a dream of pleasure. Luna was greeted by a pleasant sun in what appeared to be a park of some sort. Young fillies and colts were playing on the field and everything just was so calm and peaceful. Not a single cloud that occupied the pleasant spring sun. An old stallion was just sitting on a bench with a cane to the ground where he rested his forelegs on. He simply watched over the ponies playing and Luna knew it. She knew it was time for him to go, to go to the life beyond. “S-Sir?” she spoke in a quiet tone. Only after she had come to a standstill next to the bench. The last thing she wanted, was to startle the stallion.

The head of the aged stallion rose up from the many thoughts that went through the mind. His old eyes opened themselves and found their resting place upon hers. “Yes, young one?” he asked in a gentle and respectful tone.

“Your time has come, I, I am afraid you have to come with me,” she spoke in a voice that was filled with mixed emotions of her own. The stallion however, just gave a nod before he stood up. His eyes made one last look over to the playing fillies and colts before he made his way over to her. But then he passed her with a friendly smile and waited for her a dozen hooves ahead.

The actions done surprised the princess a little bit. Most of the time, many would just struggle against her will. Luna turned herself around and walked up to the stallion as she simply asked the burning question. “W-Why art thou coming so easily? Did thou lost thy will to live?”

He allowed a sigh to leave through his nose as he shook his head before the words left him. “No your highness, quite the contrary, I have lived for long enough. For eighty beautiful years I have wandered over the surface of the world as we know it. For eighty years I explored many unknown things the world had to offer. Until I met my beautiful wife, gained wonderful foals, a filly and a colt. I have seen them growing up into a great mare and a stallion to be proud on. I didn't lose the will, I just want to give it a nice ending. Passing over in the sleep, a passing over I wish everypony. Don’t worry about my family and friends your Highness, I have taken the time to say my goodbyes and they know it would happen tonight,” he explained to her with a small smile.

The attention of the princess was fixed upon the stallion but couldn't help it to look back at the bench and the rest of the part. All of it was slowly surrounded by darkness, the darkness that originated out of the body that was dying slowly. While they were walking over the plain, they came towards a light that was unknown to almost everypony yet they all knew about it. Luna knew what it was but never even dared to go through it, for behind that barrier laid the afterlife.

“There is only one thing left to do, and that is to thank you, princess, thank you for the guidance you have given us, we shall never forget you, princess Luna, her majesty of the night,” he spoke while he stood before the gate of light.

Luna didn't knew any words to speak and therefore gave a simple smile under a thankful nod. And then he was gone. He had stepped through the light and into the great unknown as tears built up within the eyes of the mare. Luna always took those things deeply personal, she didn't know why but she just did. “G-Goodbye then,” she spoke as she held a moment of silence for him.

---

All of the sudden did the white eyes of the princess regained their blue coloring as both her soul and mind returned themselves forcefully into the body they always found themselves again. Her right forehoof made its way over to her right eye in order to wipe a small tear of utter sadness away. Her cyan colored eyes glared over the small drop of body liquid as she watched her own reflection, “Just what does it truly mean to be immortal? To be blessed, or to be cursed?” Willing to just dispatch of the though, Luna brought her hoof down to the ground while her eyes stared at the clock. Her shift was over and the night had to make way for the day once again.

She removed herself from the throne under a deep sigh and walked down towards the doorway for the desire to meet her sister wasn't there anymore. Luna didn't want to meet up with Celestia and talk about the matters that happened in the other realms. It was something she always did when the event of letting a soul pass over happened. Celestia played herself dumb for the most part, but she knew what was truly going on. She knew her sister and Luna always had taken those kind of things very personal, if not a bit too personal. Just one glance was more than enough to give it away. The elder sister didn't wanted to bother her even more than she already was.

The mare found herself in the many hallways of the castle as she was making her way over to the lunar wing, her wing of the castle. It was decorated to her own liking and desires. Walking through its dark halls always created a small smile upon her face. But that time she simply walked up to a door which had her cutie mark encrusted on it and two guards on either side of the door who both nodded respectfully to her.

The horn of the princess allowed itself to charge up and the door swung open for her and closed just as rapidly when she passed them.

Inside her own room, could a room filled with organized chaos be found. For the stacks of papers and quills laid everywhere while her bed was oddly clean from everything. Her eyes glared over to the desk while a deep sigh left her nose. Both her little crown and chest piece removed themselves from her body and were placed upon it. Luna let them rest peacefully as her shoes were put off and she just jumped into her bed, the mare just wanted to sleep through the wonderful day. And to suffer yet another nightmare.

---

A little princess of the night found herself galloping over the plains close to the ever so feared Everfree Forest. The clouds were nonexistent as the sun shone down upon her blue coat ever so wonderfully. Her giggle was the only sound to fill the air while the soft blowing of the wind made her hairy mane move in an out of her eye.

But hidden deep in the forest, lured the creature of pure darkness. A mare whose heart was as black as the deadly twilight between the night and day. A creature from who its origin was shrouded in mystery yet was as clear as day. Its cyan, cat-like eyes glared over to the little filly, lurking upon her, upon its innocence, waiting for the right moment to strike.

And that moment didn't came much later began clouds of darkness to arise for out of the Everfree. Clouds that would be blocking out the sunlight where they went as the ground got covered by a dark and thick fog. Slowly it left the forest and crawled up on the plains and to the little princess of the night.

The little mare gently cocked her head upon the very sight of the fog that was crawling up. But the fear she had was truly awoken by the dark clouds, which kept drifting towards her, shrouding her in their darkness. Luna carefully sat down on her behind and simply watched as she spoke her words. “M-Mommy? D-Daddy? S-Sis? Q-Quit the games! They are not fun!”

But not a single response came from anything. Not much later had the little Luna found herself sitting in the middle of the dark and foggy plain. She tried to keep herself tough despite being scared for her life. “L-Leave me alone!” she shouted out while her eyes appeared to be bursting out into tears.

Out of the shadows of the forest could those cyan colored cat eyes be seen doing their turn again and made their way up to Luna under a thick and black fog as a seducing female voice spoke to her. “Leaving you alone? I am afraid I can not do that child... You see, you are perfect.”

“P-Perfect for what?” the filly princess replied in fear and surprise. She tried to place the voice by anything and anypony she remembered. That was the odd thing, she had heard it somewhere before. She just couldn't pinpoint it.

“Hmhmhm, you shall see soon enough little Luna, soon enough everything will be clear to you, you need time, and I... I need to feed,” the mist replied to her. And then there was a set of pure white fangs that appeared out of it and opened in a jaw like manner. In the gaping hole was an entire galaxy of darkness that was revealed, almost making it look like a black hole. Luna was frozen with fear upon the sight and was unable to move. The fog made no time to waste and it just swallowed her whole under the screams of utter agony and fear that came from the little princess.

---

The eyes of Luna opened themselves forcefully, only to burn themselves into the burning light of the sun accompanied with another yet more realistic loud scream of agony before she pulled the blankets over her head. As her eyes were given some rest again, Luna released a deep and angry growl of utter hatred. “Bloody nightmares!” she muttered almost in a shout from under the blankets.

Both of the guards that stood outside of the room had their eyes growing small when they heard the growl. The both of them could only release a gulp for what was going to happen soon enough. They made their way away from the door and just looked at each other like it was going to be their last moment together.

Soon enough did the doors flung open while a beam of cobalt blue magic magic was shot through the hallway. From both of the doors was nothing left as both guards were hiding on either side of the hallway. They shivered in fear before the princess of the night left her room whose very eyes stood on thunder. A loud huff left her nose as the bags under her eyes could be seen before her horn discharged itself. Without a word spoken she ventured through the hallway and down towards the throne room where her sister was wondering just what that explosion could have been.

The grayish magenta iris glazed over to the angry sister who wandered into the room without a word, huffing out a little cloud of smoke with each exhale. “Bad night again, sister?”

“And would your highness just shut up against me!?” Luna replied in anger before she spread her wings in order to take off.

“Well excuse me for caring about you to begin with.”

“Ugh...” Luna then looked over to the open door of the balcony and simply galloped towards it, jumping into the air at the last possible moment as her wings spread themselves majestically in order for her to simply fly away. Flying through the air as her mind tried to forget the stress of the dream she had, but also tried to understand its meaning. It is spoken in wise words that a knife always slices on two sides of something and that, was exactly what happened.

Back on the throne released the princess of the sun a deep sigh. She allowed her own mind to dive into the matter, beginning to consider things deeply as she began to speak in herself. “Luna is growing more and more angry... These nightmares keep plaguing her, yet she won’t share what they are about nor what they want... Why do you make this so hard for me sister?” All of the guards stared a little bit to each other before they returned to their original pose.

In the meantime had Luna made herself comfortable on a cloud high in the skies. There where she allowed herself to bath gently in the sun while her head hung low. Her eyes glared down upon the land and the ponies that were working, playing or just relaxing. It was at the sights below that the feeling of incompleteness and of unworthiness crawled up inside of her. For where ponies often praised Celestia for the day, none would ever come to her and praise her for the night. Of course there were exceptions and this case it were the bat-ponies. But never one of their original supposed subjects. She didn't had a school for unicorns like her sister, nor a personal student. She had quite literally nothing except a fancy title and the blood of royalty running through her veins.