• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 628 Views, 6 Comments

Las Pegasus baby! - DarkSecrets



Rarity and Applejack get stuck going to Las Pegasus together

  • ...
0
 6
 628

Chapter 1

“Applejack, darling, is there any party that you can’t ruin by bringing your food cart?” Rarity chided, stepping down from the chariot.

Rarity would have been a vision in the elegant blue dress fringed with diamonds that currently adorned her, save for if it wasn’t torn straight down the side, ruffled around the collar, wrinkled beyond repair and stained with greasy golden splotches of apple strudel, pie and fritter. She had approximately three horseshoes gracing her feet and one floating behind her head that had been demolished beyond recognition.

“Well ‘xcuse me for wantin’ to try and boost my family’s business like you do your own at every event ya go to!” The farmpony snapped back, landing behind her with frustrated stomp.

Behind her came Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash, all looking just as haphazard. Two weeks prior they had been invited to a garden party organized by the Princesses. This was supposed to be a thank you party for upper crust ponies, low nobility, and heroes of Equestria like the elements themselves, but what had occurred had nearly destroyed the clearing set aside for the gathering, and while deeply insulting all the upper-crust ponies, left Princess Luna rolling on the floor like a little filly and Princess Celestia happily content that another one of her events had been, well, eventful.

“Girls can you please stop fighting? You’ve been arguing the whole way back and even though we nearly set the place on fire, the Princesses said everything was fine and nopony got hurt!” Twilight Sparkle pleaded.

She was marginally incorrect there, they had set the place on fire. Applejack had decided to bring along her apple cart with her, but when a certain ultra-sheltered, three-times-removed-from-royalty-yet-his-family-still-acts-like-they-weren’t, colt had sampled an apple fritter, and then found out he was deathly allergic to apples, all tartarus broke loose. In his fit a medic on standby had tried to calm him down, but accidentally knocked over one of the stove tops warming the spread. As a fire started growing animals from the edges of the garden panicked and stampeded, ponies got bumped, shoved and yelled at, and someone in a heroic attempt to save the day kicked away a spare propane tank with such force it flug across the lawn and rolled right under the Apple cart. And started to leak. Next to another full propane tank. The resulting blast was less of an explosion, and more of a concussive pop, but still shattered the cart and sent Apple confectionery flying everywhere, much to the rampaging animals delight.

Scratched, bruised, and exhausted the mane six made their way towards the center of town, where they would branch off to all go home.

“When I promote my boutique I don’t stand next to the buffet table trying to hock some unrefined Apple treat at everypony!” Rarity shot back.

“Unrefined?!”

Applejack spread her hooves in a halt, turning to face her accuser directly. “I know fer certain that you think my Apple treats are the tastiest things in Equestria!”

Rarity sputtered. “Well...that may be true, but it still doesn’t account for you always having to bring your rustic cart along to everything! Especially if it’s to the royal gardens!” Rarity shot back.

“Well at least I spend my time at these here get-togethers havin’ some fun while I’m selling! All you ever do is go on about high fashion an’ proper Etiquette, trying to sell off froo-froo dresses!” The Farmpony nearly shouted.

“GIRLS!!!” Twilight shouted at the top of her lungs. All eyes settled on her. “Stop fighting!” You’re friends! It wasn’t anypony’s fault! It was an accident that ruined the night, not anypony in particular! And a little bit of frustration is no reason to shouting insults at one of your PFF’s!

“PFF she may be,” Rarity began, “but Applejack is certainly the most difficult of us to get along with! Every gathering has to a be a wholesale!”

“Look who's talkin’ miss high class business-pony!” Applejack seethed. “I didn’t do nothin’ wrong and you’re bein’ rude only cuz another opportunity to be high class an’ proper got blown to bits!”

“Like the apple cart” Rainbow whispered to Pinkie Pie. Rainbow turned her head to see the reaction her joke got, only to be startled by her pink friends expression.

“Uh, you okay Pinks?” Rainbow asked out aloud.

Up until a minute ago Pinkie Pie had been happily bouncing alongbehind her friends, but had now slowed to a trot. Pinkie’s eyes drooped, nervously flicking between Rarity and Applejack. While her mane remained as poofy as ever, her demeanor and speed were fading fast, and a deep frown adorned her face.

At Rainbow’s question the others stopped and turned to look at their pink friend, save for Rarity and Applejack who continued to trade blows.

“What’s the matter Pinkie?” Twilight asked, her voice shaky.
“Friends aren’t supposed to fight. Well, sometimes, but not like this. They’re being mean to each other!” The pink earth pony exclaimed.

“Well that’s the last straw!” came an exasperated yell with a strong southern drawl. “I’ve had it with you tryin’ to be all high and mighty and puttin’ me down just come something went wrong and even though it weren’t my fault, I’m your go to target, just cuz I’m not ‘couth’ enough for ya!”

“That’s not even a word!” retorted the fashionista. “And not your fault? If your apple cart hadn’t been there, none of this would have happened!”

“What’re you talkin’ ‘bout?” If I didn’t have my cart, the tank still woulda exploded!”

“Maybe but at least we wouldn’t all have been showered in Apple a la mode!”

“Huh? There wasn’t any ice cream.”

Rarity stopped fuming and turned up her nose. “Actually for once Applejack I agree with you, this is indeed the last straw. I need to have a break from farmpony for a while, so I don’t wish to see you for at least a month!”

“Fine by me! It’ll be nice to not be told how I’m supposed to ‘properly’ live my own life for once!”

As both girls huffed and started to proudly trot away, a pink ball of fury erupted.

“NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE!”

The entire group looked on, stunned by Pinkie’s outburst.

“YOU TWO ARE FRIENDS! PFF’S FOR PETE’S SAKE! AND YOU’RE GONNA FIGHT AND ABANDON EACH OTHER JUST CUZ OF SOME SILLY APPLESPLOSION?! YOU TWO NEED A REMINDER OF WHY YOU’RE BOTH ELEMENTS OF HARMONY. THIS WEEKEND I’M PUTTING YOU THROUGH THE FRIENDSHIP RINGER! AND BY SUNDAY YOU TWO WILL BE FRIENDS AGAIN OR SO HELP ME CELESTIA ILL BAKE BOTH OF YOU INTO A BATCH OF CUPCAKES AND FEED YOU TO EACH OTHER SO AT LEAST YOU CAN SEE HOW SWEET YOU BOTH SHOULD BE!

Pinkie stood, chest heaving, eyes filled with fire. Everybody’s jaw was on the floor. Applejack shakily composed herself.

“Sorry Pinkie, but I ain’t putting up with Rarity anymore, ain’t no way, no how!”

“And no way am I sitting through a friendship ‘ringer’ if it’s with her!" Rarity shot back.

Both girls turned and raced off, exteriors like rock but insides trembling.

Pinkie turned, expression still stone, and slowly walked towards Sugarcube corner.

“What are you going to do now Pinkie?” Fluttershy asked, wilting under Pinkie’s gaze as the normally bubbly earth pony turned her attention to the pegasus.

“Don’t worry Fluttershy, I’ll get their smiles.” Pinkie calmly explained. A sly grin spread across her lips while she began to walk off. “Pinkie Pie always gets their smiles.”

~~~

“OW! Consarnit!”

The road to Sweet Apple Acres had been mostly quiet, save for the hoof steps of an orange farmpony who was now face down in the dirt.

“Stupid slippers!” Applejack mumbled while desperately trying to untangle herself.

“Stupid dress!”

As her temper flared, she whipped her head around, bit down on the hem of the dress and yanked back. A large tear rang out as three separate pieces of a once beautiful gown flopped to the ground unceremoniously.

“STUPID RARITY!”

She sat there on the ground, panting out her anger.

“That mare can be so uptight sometimes.” the farmpony said quietly to herself. “I didn’t mean to ruin the party. It wasn’t my fault. But there she goes insulting me and my own. She makes it so difficult sometimes to be her friend!”

“Well I may not agree with you, but I’m not disagreeing with you.” Pinkie Pie said nonchalantly.

“WHAT THE HAY?” PINKIE WHERE’D YOU COME FROM?”

Pinkie Pie turned and gave her friend a deadpanned stare.

“Right” Applejack muttered, giving in to the enigma that was Pinkie Pie.

“Ya know, what I said earlier wasn’t a choice.” Pinkie Pie said.

“Come again?” Applejack said nervously.

“Rarity may be difficult to be friends with, but you’re stubborn too. And when you put you two in a bad situation it’s like putting two cats in a sack together! Also don’t ever tell Fluttershy I said that or alluded to knowledge of such an instance in anyway.”

Before applejack could respond, Pinkie continued.

“You two are spending tomorrow, Friday, Saturday and Sunday going through my own friendship rejuvenation experience!”

Applejack looked to her friend expecting a happy wild face, but got only a serious expression in return.

“Pinkie, there is no-”

“This isn’t something you can back out of. Be there and be on time, or I’ll come get you myself.”

Pinkie’s eyes were full of fire, yet her glare was as cold as stone. She emphasized her point by poking on hoof into Applejack’s chest as she finished, then turned and walked off into the orchard.

Applejack knew there was no getting out of this.

By the time she had made in back to her home, the moon was rising. The sun had long been set and the night was thick, but still relatively early. Applejack walked in, knowing her hard working family would definitely be asleep by now. She checked the mail as she made her way to the stairs.

“Junk...junk....bills....invoice for apple export....junk....what’s this?”

The brightly colored flyer had images of hotels, bits, and bright lights everywhere.

“Offer for two ponies to spend three nights, four days in Las Pegasus? Either come with a friend or let yourself be paired with one roommate of our choosing and fill our empty hotel rooms at, holy cow eighty percent off?!”

Applejack inspected the flyer carefully. High quality card stock, the best unicorn magic powered photo printed images and professional grade designing only pointed to this being a legitimate flyer from a real company.

“I’ve never even been to Las Pegasus before! I never could afford it, but at this price. No, I have work to do here. even if Pinkie-

This isn’t something you can back out of. Be there and be on time, or I’ll come get you myself.

The words and the pink pony’s stern face hung in Applejack’s mind.

“Pinkie won’t get me one bit of rest here, and if I’m in Las Pegasus, she won’t be able to set me up through a ‘rejuvenation experience,’ whatever that is.” the farmpony thought out loud.

“Besides, after Rarity and the garden party, I could use a break.”

Applejack smiled to herself, then headed upstairs to pack. She could tell her family in the morning when they all woke at the crack of dawn, right now she needed to make sure she could get out of dodge, or Ponyville for the matter, before Pinkie could find her.

~~~

“GET BACK HERE I’M NOT DONE TALKING TO YOU!”

Rarity raced as fast as she could avoiding a certain pink baker who had tried to inform her that her presence at a certain friendship rehab was mandatory.

“Pinkie just go away I am NOT going to your silly class thing!

“It’s a rejuvenation experience and I’m not asking!”

Rarity knew she couldn’t outrun Pinkie, eventually the earth pony’s endurance would win out. As she saw her home approaching, a light bulb flicked on in her head. She abruptly turned down a side street, the pink pony in hot pursuit. another turn and she was heading the opposite direction from home.

Alright Rarity just like Twilight said, the fashionista thought to herself. Imagine your destination, connect your magic, build..and pull!

In a sapphire flash Rarity appeared in the Carousel Boutique, exhausted but safe. She knew Pinkie wouldn’t connect the dots, at least not right away at first, so for the moment she was safe. But she still had the weekend ahead of her.

“Think Rarity think!” she voiced out loud to herself. “I need to find a way to get out of Pinkie’s hair-brained scheme! What’s this?”

A certain flyer with dazzling lights lay on her kitchen table in her mail pile.

“Las Pegasus hmm? Couldn’t hurt to break out my hotel and casino cards again. Yes this is just perfect. And such good rates too!”

The white unicorn hummed happily to herself as she reviewed the ticket to her escape.

~~~

The deal for the hotel room in Las Pegasus had been fairly straightforward. Apparently the flyers had been a promotion from the city of Las Pegasus to other cities in Equestria in an attempt to drum up business after major events in the city such as large shows or rare performances concluded. All Applejack had to do was bring the flyer to the mayor’s office, sign up for the offer and the mare behind the desk gave her the voucher and a list of hotel’s it would work at.

“Now you just have to make sure to follow the three nights four days rule, room with your randomly assigned roommate and the deal is all yours. If you don’t follow the rules you’ll simply have to pay full price.” Said the cheery secretary

“You know I’m surprised you came across one of these. They are in every major city but usually are only spread from friend to friend, and certainly only among the most wealthy and well connected. You must have some good friends.”

“Actually I just found this in my mail yesterday.” Applejack responded.

“Really? Well lucky you I guess! Have a nice trip!” Replied the mare.

As Applejack walked towards the train station, her mind kept bugging her.

I wonder how this ended up in the mail. If only the most well connected ponies get these things, then how come it came to me? Well best not to look a gift pony in the mouth i guess. She thought to herself.

By the time she arrived at the platform, the train was waiting. However as she headed to her car, train ticket in hand (another part of the deal), she spotted a recognizable pony. A white unicorn with a perfectly done up mane and eight tons of luggage. And she was staring daggers directly back at her.

“And pray tell where exactly are you going?” The unicorn practically spat.

“It’s none of your darn business, but between you and Pinkie I’ve decided to get a little R&R and head over to Las Pegasus if you must know!” The farmpony snapped.

“WHAT?! Oh nonononono, you are NOT going to Las Pegasus the exact same time I am as well. You’ll have to move your trip.” Rarity said, her eyes closed and her nose turned up and away.

“No way! This deal only works for this weekend, I’m all booked up, and I ain't never even been! Besides why in the hay would I move my trip for the likes of you?” Applejack replied.

“You’ve never been to Las Pegasus? Oh Applejack you sheltered thing, how could you possibly expect to know your way around. I on the other hand know that city like the back of my hoof, and that is why I am going and you are staying! And what deal are you talking about?”

“I’m most certainly not staying! And this deal. Bet you ain’t getting eighty percent off hotel prices and premium access to almost everything there!” Applejack said. She smiled smugly as she handed Rarity the flyer.

“This can’t be! This is the same deal I’m using! how did you get this?” Rarity stated in shock.

“Come again now? You have the same deal? but if only a couple ponies know about these and both you and I are going on the same weekend from Ponyville, and were randomly paired up that means...”

“We’re being “randomly” paired up to share the same hotel room.” Rarity finished

The mares stood staring at each other, aghast.

Rarity broke first. “Well since we are NOT spending four days together in light of recent events and since neither of us can afford this trip at full price, I guess neither of us is going to Las Pegasus.”

“Fine by me, staying here in Ponyville is way more preferable to seeing Las Pegasus for the first time if you’re around! Applejack said.

As the mares stood on the platform a shadow crept over both of them.

They looked up in horror at the pink pony standing on the roof of the station, glaring at them.

“I forgot about her!’ Applejack said.

“WHERE DO YOU TWO THINK YOU’RE GOING? YOU WERE BOTH DUE AT SUGARCUBE CORNER THIRTY MINUTES AGO!” Pinkie Pie yelled at the duo.

“On the train! Now!” Rarity screamed.

Applejack turned around and expertly bucked her luggage into the car, then made a beeline for the doors herself.

Rarity picked up her numerous bags in her magic and raced forward as well. As she tumbled through, Applejack slammed the door shut, just as a pink blur slammed into the closed window.

“YOU MISSIES GET OUT HERE THIS INSTANT” The Pink baker shouted, drawing the attention of nearly everyone at the station.

The train whistled and lurched forwards, slowly accelerating. Pinkie raced alongside it, shouting, but was soon left behind at the end of Ponyville station’s platform.

“That was a close one.” Applejack said.

“Indeed it was, but now we have a bigger problem on our hands.” Rarity responded.

Applejack turned and looked at her.

“It would appear you and I are going to Las Pegasus.”

Author's Note:

Hey everypony! So this is my first attempt at writing! This was supposed to be a one-shot but that failed epically so now I'm thinking three chapters. Feel free to let me know how well I did, notify me of any errors, give tips or praise or constructive criticism, just try not to be unpleasant please.