• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 710 Views, 4 Comments

Return - MadameDragonFlower



Princess Luna's captain of the guard from one thousand years ago has returned and now has to find his place in this new world he has awoken to.

  • ...
2
 4
 710

Chapter 5 - Contrapositive

T’was not I who ordered thee against my sister’s forces. The words rang in my mind. But it had been her. Hadn’t it? How could I know, for sure, after what she had told me?

I stared into the coals of the fire in my room, which had burnt out hours before. The heavy curtains were drawn back against the early-afternoon sun. The room was almost completely dark, thanks to those curtains. Plenty dark enough to sleep, with barely enough light to see by. I could have gotten up, to see what my princess had in store for me, were she awake yet. Or simply familiarize myself with the castle more. But I chose to stay abed.

My sleep had been anything but restful. My mind had been abuzz the entire time with questions, uncertainties, and memories of what I now knew to be a thousand years past. It seemed like yesterday to me. Yet here I was. And so was she.

She, who my world revolved around. Her beauty both entrancing and overwhelming. Her wit appropriate and uncanny. Her mere presence a soothing balm to any tortured soul. That presence was what I desired more than anything else.

I set my chin down on a pillow, closing my eyes and bringing my thinking back around. Princess Luna’s order’s had not been her own during the struggle against Celestia, or so she claimed. Did she speak truly? Last night she had seemed so... weak. I had never seen her in such a state before. But then, I had only ever been her captain before now. Was this what it meant to be her Companion? To be allowed to see her in her weakened state? To be.. dare I think it... her friend?

I shook my head. Such a thing was unthinkable. Yet was that not what she had implied last night? I couldn’t be certain. Just as I couldn’t be certain that it was not she who ordered us against her sister. All I really knew was that she was still my princess. I would still follow her and serve her regardless. I had to trust. I could already see that it would not be easy.

“But I did not sign up for easy,” I said aloud to the empty room and myself. I rose and stretched, then made for the door of my room.

☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁ ☁

I sat across from her at a table in the same dining room as the night before. The sun still shone brightly out the balcony window, the curtains thrown back and a cool winter breeze teasing the room with smells of wood fire and pine trees. The repast set before us was delightful. A salad made mostly from star flowers, a small white flower that bloomed only in the light of the moon, as well as crescent-shaped biscuits and plump blueberries on the side.

I looked from the meal to Princess Luna questioningly.

“The food?” she asked to my unspoken question. With my nod, she smiled almost shyly. “My idea. I thought it should be nice, to all those who dine in the palace, to be reminded of the balance we must strive for, no matter what time of day or night. To that end, we partake of foods that remind us of night during the daylight hours, and those that remind us of the sun during the night.”

“And thy sister, she did agree to this?” I asked skeptically before biting into a crescent-biscuit. I couldn’t imagine the despot agreeing to such a thing without a fight at the very least.

“Aye, readily. She thought it a marvelous idea. I daresay the cooks have become quite creative because of the request. Though the stipulation is not always adhered to, of course. Sometimes only a side dish to a meal is thus.”

I felt my mouth fall open in shock, biscuit half-eaten. I closed my mouth quickly. “I... see. ‘Tis a good idea, I’ll warrant.” I went back to my biscuit.

“Thou’rt surprised at my sister’s agreement.” It was a statement, not a question. But I still felt the need to answer it.

“Yes. She was not so easily agreeable before--” I stopped, looking into Luna’s steady eyes. She was regal even sitting at a table to eat. I bowed slightly. “Forgive me, your Highness.”

“Cloud Twist, there is nothing to be forgiven. Thou art my Companion. Thou art allowed to speak thy mind to me when asked a question.”

I kept my silence, continuing my meal. Luna sighed across from me.

“Keep in mind this, Cloud Twist. Celestia’s victory over me was necessary, but hollow. Dost thou not think that she has not acquired some wisdom over a thousand year span? She is not the same princess thou once knew. The passage of time that thou did not mark, was marked by me and my sister. We have grown from this, and thou must adjust thy thinking to suit. There is no other way for thee.”

“Yes, my princess,” I responded, my voice hoarse. Battle maneuvers had been an easy thing. This? This was something else entirely.

“This evening, before court, I would like for thee to do me a study,” the princess changed the subject abruptly, taking a bite of her star flower salad.

“Majesty?”

“I would have thee get to know my royal guard. Captain Shield Wright has proven himself most reliable and honest thus far, however, I know little about the rest of the uniforms I oversee. I trust thee more than any other, Cloud, and I would receive thine input on this matter. I trust that such a thing would not be a chore for thee?”

“Nay, Majesty. T’would be a pleasure, indeed,” I smiled broadly.