• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 7,727 Views, 300 Comments

Aged Scales - XineLegacy



Spike is returning from a long trip to Canterlot and the gang is planning a welcome back party for him. But what happens when his maturity is brought up? The Mane Six are about to discover a darker part of Spike no-one knew existed.

  • ...
30
 300
 7,727

A Dragon's Heart

"It's taking a long time," said Rainbow with a large yawn. "When do you think we will be able to go in, Princess?"

"I don't know," replied Celestia.

All of the ponies sat anxiously waiting for Princess Luna to open the door that had been shut for over three hours. Three long agonising hours. Everypony couldn't help but think, What if Spike died? They tried to comfort themselves and each other, but they all knew that there was a large chance he wouldn't make it.

Pinkie Pie had fallen asleep after an hour, and still lay snoring quietly on a cushioned chair. Fluttershy and Rarity sat side by side in silence, Fluttershy having succumbed to tears twice within the past hour. Rarity had calmed her down both times with a hug and warm but empty smile. Celestia had been standing nearly the whole time, trying to maintain a reassuring aura for everypony else, but even she found she could only do so half-heartedly. Rainbow had simply spent her time flying in slow circles near the ground, and once her wings had gotten tired, she had started pacing on hoof. The only sign of hope that would come from the room that harboured their friends was the glow of purple light which could be seen under the door. Every time a glow was seen, they knew he was still alive, that Luna was still trying to heal him. But no such glow had been seen for over ten minutes, and the ponies were beginning to fear the worst.

"Come on Princess Luna," said Rainbow. "Let's see some light, vibration, anything..."

Chik!

Everypony turned to face the door; that was the sound they had been waiting for. The sound of the door opening. Luna opened it slowly and stepped into the waiting room.

"At last!" cried Rarity. "What happened, Princess?"

"Is Spike going to be okay?" asked Fluttershy, her ears peeking up halfway.

"Well," began the Princess. "I've done all I can."

"Is he...dead?" asked Rainbow painfully.

"No, no he isn't."

"So he's going to be okay?" Hope became visible on the yellow pony's face once again.

"I can't say for sure. The time has come for fate to make its decision. The most important factor now is his will."

"His will?" asked Rarity.

"His will to live. His inner strength. Twilight's presence in the room is definitely helping. I think yours would, too." Luna stepped aside and allowed the ponies to enter the room. Applejack was still unconscious (or asleep; it was hard to tell) and Twilight had her eyelids half-open. Spike lay almost completely still, except for the unusually slow rise and fall of his chest.

"Princess Luna," said Twilight, her voice still weak. "Is he going to be okay?"

"I can't tell, Twilight. We will have to wait and see." Everypony gathered around Spike's bed.

"Is there anything we can do to help?" asked Fluttershy.

"Not much. Just...let him know that you're here for him."

"Spike," began the yellow pegasus. "I don't know if you can hear me but, If you can...We need you Spike. All of us. You're so kind and helpful to everypony and I couldn't even imagine my life without you." Tears started to appear in her eyes. "None of us could, Spike! You-you can't die now! Please, I-I don't know what I'd do! We love you, Spike!"

Rarity put an foreleg over Fluttershy's neck. "We do, Spike. We really do."

Celestia felt tears streaming down her face as well. "Spike you're like...you're like my own son. I raised you and...I can't watch you die now!"

Rainbow hung her head and stared at the edge of the dragon's bed. "I'd do anything to help you right now Spike...anything..."

Twilight watched, exhausted but still anxious. Tears had already made their way down her face, and she felt almost too weak to say anything.

"Wait," said Rarity. "Princess Luna, you said that his will to live will better his chances of surviving, right?"

"Yes, that is true."

"Well, I know a spell that might increase his will."

"You speak of a memory sharing spell, correct?"

Rarity nodded. "Do-do you think it would help?"

Luna thought for a moment. "Yes, I think it would."

Rarity closed her eyes and her horn began to glow purple.

She sighed deeply and allowed herself to fall into her mind's thoughts and memories.

"What's she doing?" asked Rainbow Dash.

She searched herself for memories of Spike.

"It is a memory sharing spell,"

The dragon whose heart she had been given.

"What does it do?"

The dragon whose heart she had unknowingly broken.

"Memory spells allow a unicorn to gain control over their memories."

The dragon whose heart she now had to revive.

"The memories can be manipulated and relived or...forgotten using these spells."

Happy memories of them together. There were plenty.

"Memory sharing spells are special; they allow the user to force their own memories upon another."

All those days, with him helping her at the boutique, laughing and telling jokes.

"Mutual memory sharing spells, the kind your friend is using, are used to project and refresh memories for two or more ponies, memories which they both share."

Going gem-hunting.

"Experiences which they both have had with each other in the past."

The moment he gave her the fire ruby.

The recollected memories played through Rarity's head, and the glow on her horn began extending towards Spike.

At the same time, Celestia's horn started to glow yellow.

Spike's mind was nearly blank, as he remained almost completely unconscious. He began to feel a strange sensation overcome him, and images started to form in his mind. Images and...Memories. He thought to himself. Memories of him and Rarity.

Working at the boutique...

Laughing over a cup of tea at Sugarcube Corner...

Her smile when he gave her the fire ruby...

Her smile when he was about to confess his love for her while falling through the air...

Sharing a hug after they escaped the diamond dogs...

Then, he felt another wave of memories being projected in his mind. Those of him and Princess Celestia.

Studying in the library...

Telling stories about ancient myths and legends...

Taking a walk in the palace gardens...

And the day he was assigned the job of being Twilight's assistant.

And he felt one more memory from Rarity.

Their kiss in the forest.

"His heart rate is increasing!" said Luna. The two ponies magic receded slowly before their glows disappeared.

I..can't die now...they're all counting on me. Me, Spike the dragon. He felt as if he was about to lose himself. Lose his own body. Let go... It seemed so easy, so easy to just die. No, I won't die! Images of Twilight, Rarity and all of his friends flashed through his conscious mind.

"I-I think he's alive!" Luna exclaimed.

I'll live through this! For them! He felt himself re-enter his own mind. He began to feel his body, and he felt pain. Physical pain. The kind which can only be felt if one is...alive.

Spike forced himself to open his eyelids. "If I'm dead, I hope you guys are crying your eyeballs out in the real world."

"Aw yeah, nothing can kill this dragon!" Rainbow flew a quick loop in the air. Everypony laughed.

"You survived Spike!" cried Rarity.

"Well, you really helped. I don't know if I could have done it without you. You and Princess Celestia."

"We don't know what we would have done of you lost you." Celestia wiped away her tears.

"Spike," said Twilight. "I wanted to thank you but...just now I was afraid I was never going to get the chance."

The dragon slowly got off his bed and grabbed Twilight's neck. He hugged her tightly, and she quickly returned the gesture. He let go of her slowly and turned to see a troubled Fluttershy. "Hey Fluttershy, is something wrong?"

"Oh? I'm fine. It's just f-for a moment there I really thought that you were...gone."

"Fluttershy, don't worry about it. It's over, and it's never going to happen again." Spike embraced her, and the others quickly followed.

"Hey, don't group hug without me!" Twilight said. She shifted her weight and sat up. "Ack!"

"Twilight, are you okay?" asked Spike, putting an arm on her chest.

"It's alright, it doesn't hurt as much now." She placed her hindlegs on the ground, then her forelegs.

"Come on," said Spike. "Let's go home."