• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 2,285 Views, 19 Comments

Faster Than Light: Intelligent Lifeforms - sev62fmj



The crew of the Kestrel encounter multicolored horses.

  • ...
2
 19
 2,285

2. Bring some of the creatures on board to sell

Upon exiting the shuttle, the crew of the Kestrel was immediately crowded around by the natives. A few rough shoves from the Rockman made them keep their distance.

"Obviously these. . . horses will serve no use to us." The Mantis grabbed a smaller pony by a red bow on its head and flung it unceremoniously back into the crowd. The Mantis dusted his head with his bladed appendages, "We're wasting time and we should leave. I would rather not be torn limb from limb by the Rebels while we frolic in a field of. . . ponies."

"Perhaappssss I can provide a more profitable ssssooolution?" A slithering voice crept into the crew's ears.

The Mantis hissed back, "Shut up, you slimy backstabbing Slug!"

The Slugman slithered forward. "Take a good look at theeessseee. . . ponieeeesss. They are--how would you humans ssssay?--adorable. The human crossed his arms and huffed. The Slugman continued, "Perhaappssss we can provide theessee eexxotic creaturessss to thoosseee willing to ssssacrificcceee a. . . ssssmall fee?"

The Zoltan pushed the Slugman aside and placed himself between the Slugman and the nearest pony. "You would bring suffering and slavery to these obviously peaceful creatures!?" The Zoltan turned to the human, "Captain, I will not allow these creatures to be sold as slaves and pets!"

The simple, yet technical speech of the Engi was almost instantly recognized, "Primary directive is to deliver intelligence of Rebel fleet to final Federation fleet. Sale of equine creatures: time consuming. Chance of profit to acquire new cloaking device: present. Chance of success: uncertain."

The Slugman's voice slithered again, "You ssseeee. I am only trying to assssisssst our mission, just like our ever ssssoo helpful Engi has said."

The Zoltan gestured to the human, "The choice is yours then, captain. Shall we leave or shall we. . . sell these creatures?"

The human held his chin in thought. He first looked toward the Slugman, who was incessantly chuckling. On the other hand, the Zoltan's pleading eyes told him to leave the ponies alone.

"Alright, I can unterstand where you're coming from Cerro. Believe me, I want to leave these ponies be as much as you do. But that ride through the Rock homeworlds was a wake up call. The universe is a dangerous place and we need to get to the Federation fleet without dying. If we can come out of this with a few extra weapons and equipment, I'll do it. I hope you understand, Cerro. If its any consolation, you don't have to help us. Just hang tight in the shuttle."

"I knew you would ssssseeee it my way, heh heh heh. . ." The Slugman slithered to the Zoltan. "And yeeeessss, you sssshould go hide in the ssshuttle. Lessst we-"

"Shutup Klyp and get to work. It's your idea, you work it."

"As you wissshhh, captain."

The Slugman slithered forward toward the crowd of ponies, who began showing fright and agitation. "Don't worry my little ponieeeessss. I won't hurt you, eheh heh heh heh."

He randomly plucked out a smaller pony from the crowd and began dragging it back to the shuttle. He got halfway before he was slammed into the ground. A cyan pony with wings and rainbow mane and tail was holding him down surprisingly tightly. It made some sort of cry before the entire crowd of ponies turned hostile and came bearing down on the Kestrel's crew.

The stampede forced the crew to draw their weapons and make a hasty retreat. The Mantis barely made it into the shuttle: an orange pony that apparently had a cowboy hat close on his heels the entire way. After arriving back to the Kestrel, the human took a head count. Someone didn't make it back. . .

1. Continue

+ ============================================================================== +

Rainbow Dash almost fell off her cloud when a mob of ponies ran for the field like Apple Cider Season had arrived early. She paid no mind to it until she heard the crowd oohing and aahing at something. Ponies oohing and aahing at something that isn't Rainbow Dash? Unthinkable. Problem. Must fix.

Rainbow lept off the cloud and headed toward the center of the commotion. On the way, she spotted Applejack, who was somewhere in the middle of the crowd. "Hey AJ, what's going on up there?"

"Oh hey RD, this big metal carriage just came in flyin' down from the sky and the townsfolk are all excited about it. Heard that a buncha aliens came out of it."

"Wasn't Applebloom supposed to be helping you with the farm stuff?" Rainbow glanced around. "Where is she?"

"Cutie Mark Crusaders Alien Ambassadors. . ." Applejack said it like it was obvious. "Well, most if not all the folk are here if somethin' happens."

"I dunno AJ, that giant slug thing creeps me out. I mean, what the heck is he chuckling at?"

On cue, Applebloom's voice screeched, "Heeeeeelllllppppp!!!!"

One look was all it took for Applejack to figure out what was going on. "Hey! They're tryin' to take mah sister!"

"On it, Applejack!" Rainbow Dash launched herself at Applebloom's kidnapper and rammed the slug into the ground. She turned her head toward the crowd. "They're trying to kidnap the foals! GET 'EM!"

The crowd didn't need to hear another word. They shouted angry slurs at the aliens before charging them. The aliens made a shambolic retreat to their carriage and flew away. Fortunately, there were no major injures except for a shaken Applebloom and a bruised giant banana slug in Rainbow Dash's hooves.

"I'm going to beat you into next Tuesday!" Rainbow Dash couldn't understand the slug's plea to stop, nor did she care. She drew a hoof back and launched it forward.

Author's Note:

I mashed two outcomes into one chapter. Not a big deal me thinks.