• Published 23rd Sep 2013
  • 7,677 Views, 0 Comments

Lingering Chaos - nightelf37



There's something stranger than 'normal' going on in the Everfree Forest. With the Mane Six absent for the time being, four unicorns band together to investigate this threat.

  • ...
 0
 7,677

Open Wounds

POV: Mystic Shield

Seeing Tango follow him, Mystic let out a little smile as he let him catch up. Once the two (three if you count Crinoline on Tango's back) of them were side-by-side, he turned to the other stallion and asked, "I know you seem to have refused my offer, but if that's the case, may I ask what's your business in Ponyville? Unless you actually live here now and I don't recall your face."

"I expect not. My face is difficult to forget," Tango replied with another pearly smile. "Just doing some deliveries here for the shop. Herbs and the like. I handle all the non-local deliveries and services. Don't come to Ponyville much. Ponies around here can tend to their own gardening needs well enough and don't have much demand for the plants you find in other places."

"Yeah. I seem to not be able to take much note of anyone who's not a unicorn," Mystic Shield put in. "Save for some ponies my co-teacher introduced me to, like Dinky's mom the mailmare Derpy Hooves, Lyra's marefriend Bon Bon, Minuette's best friend Berry Punch, the schoolteacher Cheerilee, the Cakes, the time-keeper Time Turner, the mayor—especially after that article about her actual hair color—and our local heroes, if you catch my drift." As well as non-unicorns who come straight to me. After taking another turn, they could see a set of doors that he guessed led to the kitchen. "Oh, and there's also the zebra alchemist Zecora. I wonder how she's doing? After all, she lives in the Everfree Forest, and we all know what's happening there."


POV: Crinoline Ruffle

As Crinoline listened to Mystic Shield, more and more "??"'s arose. Like his unicorn fixation, and if an earth pony or pegasus thief would target him someday because of that.

After all, he wouldn't be able to recognize them later on. What did he mean with local heroes? Never heard of any heroes. They do not seem to be local anyway at the moment.

Finally, she asked the most important question. "Lyra, Bon Bon, Marefriend? You mean two mares that are in a love relationship? Why is that? I understand not every stallion is as adorable as my Tango here, but with another mare?" She nuzzled his neck.

It sounds really strange for me that two mares can be in that kind of relationship. First time I hear about something like that. At least I don't have to worry about them taking Tango away from me, but when two mares are a normal thing, that also means…

"SOooo, do you have a marefriend, Herr Mystic Shield?"

The purple pony seemed a little flustered at her question, but then looked down in sorrow. "Well, I don't know. They act so intimate together, closer than best of friends like six certain mares I know a bit of, two a fair bit more since they're unicorns. As for me having a marefriend? No, I don't. But I was married once. We broke up. As far as I know, she and our foal are back at Baltimare. I don't really want to talk about it, if that's all right with you." Damn, I sound like her. What does Chronicle see in her? He then gave a sigh and thought out loud. "The Elements of Harmony would prove really useful right now. I wonder what threat their keepers are facing at the moment at Canterlot or wherever they're sent to? Is it possibly bigger than whatever we're gonna face real soon?"


As usual, Tango didn't seem to be listening, judging by his usual vacuous smile plastered across his face. They soon reached the kitchen door at the end of the hall and he held it open. "After you," he said as he lingered behind to fluff the end of his mane in the reflection of the door's window pane.

Mystic Shield turned to face Tango, then Crinoline before starting to move forward.

Crinoline sulked a little when she slid from Tango's comfortable back, though shortly afterwards it was replaced by a confirming smile as Tango held the door for her. She got out a piece of candy from her bag and gave it to Tango.

"Here. A reward for your courtesy, my dear Tango," she said while caressing his mane before entering the room.


Thinking about what Mystic said made her feel a little angry. What a coward with his constant self pitying, but the worse has to be the lack of trust in his own abilities and the ponies around him. And he thinks he is qualified to train other ponies with this demeanor? Nonsense, I feel so insulted now by this philistine. Who does this plebian think he is?

Feeling huffy, disgusted, and repulsive she replied to the self-conscious stallion without looking at him. "Oh, you are such a pitiful gentlecolt, Herr Mystic Shield. Like it is your very essence. Don't worry though, you can depend on us getting the job done if you feel unsure. Oh, and I understand that everypony has some things they don't want to talk about. And that is very fine with me."

Mystic turned to her and said, "Thank you, Miss Crinoline. I'm not usually like this. It's just that my admittedly self-proclaimed burden of being the next line of defense for this town is bearing down on me. Not to mention my four best students severely hurt because I sent them there."

burden…

Memories of her childhood started to rush in.

burden…

Her own life and choices, all too similar.

burden…
And who I am to speak like that…?
No, I have changed…

Her eyes opened widely as they started to nearly release teardrops, though she managed to keep herself from crying. "It is not your fault Herr Mystic! We all have a choice… " Is this even true? "You are not like me, though you act like it would be expected of me. And I am not you, who had years of practice and training. Still I act with confidence in my skills and expertise, even though it would be expected of you to do so. Are you going to neglect your training, the ponies you trained with and trained you, their time, effort, hope and expectations? Be honored that ponies have expectations in you!"

Mystic seemed to take her words into heart as he finally replied. "You're right, Chroni—I mean Miss Crinoline." He looked up with resolve. "I can't give up now that I know that there are those looking up to me. I've got to fight for my students! For the new students I haven't met yet! For me! For Chronicle! For the bearers of the Elements of Harmony! For Ponyville! And Equestria!" He then realized that he was shouting and quickly calmed down. "Oh sorry. Thank you for the pick-me-up, Miss Crinoline."

Overwhelmed by his gratitude, Crinoline slightly blushed. "Y-your w-welcome, b-but don't think I d-did this because I-I like y-you or anything!", she said in a very unconvincing voice. She then realized that and only blushed more, the embarrassment causing her to hush. She reached into her dress to get a piece of candy out, ran up to Mystic without looking at him, and placed the candy on his back, only to run out the room afterwards to calm herself.


POV: Ashen Rise

Walking through the halls to the kitchen with Graceful Breeze, Ashen thought back to a time in which she spent much more time within these walls. Back then she had to eat the food made in the very same kitchen almost every day.

Grace had always described it as 'being good for you but not for your taste buds', something Ashen wholly agreed with, though she'd grown used to it over time due to her extended time in the hospital. Still though, she'd rather not eat it herself unless she had to and though she knew that the patients probably wouldn't like it, it would help keep them healthy.

It's for their own good, she thought to herself as they arrived at their destination…just in time to hear Mystic Shield and Crinoline Ruffle's conversation.


Hm. Ashen did not consider herself the type to eavesdrop unless she was suspicious of somepony, but with the volume the colt was speaking it was hard not to overhear. She can't help but let out a short giggle at the mental image of one of the nurses shushing him, though most are probably too busy at the moment or out of earshot.

Still though, she could hear the conviction in his voice. He's sure of himself, that much is certain. How disappointed he would be if this 'chaos' story is proven to be just a tall tale from his students. But at least I know part of your name now, Mystic.

Still out of their sight, Ashen put her hood back on. No need to concern them with my appearance.

"It looks like we're all already here," Grace said. "I doubt it would hurt to get an early start." She walked up to the door and saw the plates of mashed vegetables, and a small square of gelatin to wash it down neither of which look appetizing what-so-ever.


POV: Tango

Tango stood aside silently while Crinoline and Mystic Shield had their heart-to-heart. His concern with the emotional nature of the discussion abated as some sort of resolution seemed to be reached. He complacently stored the candy he received from Crinoline in an easy-to-access pocket as he watched her flounce back out of the room for a moment.

"…Well…" Tango began to say, a little confused by the sequence of events, but was distracted by the arrival of the nurse ponies, immediately returning to full radiant amicability. "Why hello again, Miss Breeze…Miss Ashen! We were just going to start helping out with the kitchens, I think. I hope that's alright?"

Mystic seemed to recover from a confusing feeling as he turned to face the two. "Oh. Right. What is it we should do, Miss Breeze?"

"I think we should split up," she proposed. "Miss Crine and Mystic can come with me. And Tango, my daughter will show you where to go on the east wing." Breeze pulled out two trollies to push the food on and and waved Mystic and Crine over, the latter returning and having recovered from earlier.

"Oh. Alright. I'll see you later, little miss, Mr. Mystic Shield. Have fun," Tango said with cheerful compliance, turning to Ashen with a dazzlingly oblivious gaze of expectancy as he awaited her order.


"As you wish, mother," the hooded mare said to Grace as she began moving the cart farthest from the pegasus towards herself, the blue 'flaming' aura of her magic clinging to the metal and her concealed horn, which illuminated the inside of her hood with an eerie blue shade. She turned to face the black stallion as she approached him. "Tango, right? Follow me, please." And with that, she and the cart make for one of the kitchen's exits.


Tango followed Ashen in dutiful silence, but not for very long. Taking her shortness of speech as a result of unfamiliarity, Tango reflexively more than consciously exuded even more friendliness than normal as he trotted with a graceful increase in speed until he was just maintaining a respectful half-step behind her.

"Miss Ashen, you've been here in Ponyville a while, yes? Sonata used to tell me that there were all sorts of rare plants in the Everfree Forest, if I ever got the chance to take a look at the place. It wouldn't be a problem if I harvest some samples, would it? Waltz says I ought to make sure there aren't any laws on that sort of thing before I do it… Oh, but never mind that. Focus on the job at hoof first, Waltz always says. What do you need me to do? I'm good at carrying things and…" Tango took a very brief pause of reflection. "Yes. Carrying things."


POV: Mystic Shield

After seeing Tango leave, Mystic Shield made a groan as he was reminded of a pony named Pinkie Pie, who threw him a party just hours after he first moved in to Ponyville. Incidentally, that party had also been for a certain jerkass griffon, who had blown her top and seriously insulted ponies everywhere, or at least Ponyville. His co-teacher Chronicle, though he wasn't that yet at the time, had gotten into a scuffle with her prior to that party and got a number of scratches for his troubles. Luckily for him, Mystic was in the area after she left and he gave him basic-though-mediocre first aid, which was basically wrapping the wounds in bandages.

He quickly shook the memory off his head, berating himself for getting himself distracted. As he then walked over to his designated trolley, he turned to Miss Crinoline and said, "Let's get started."

Crinoline answered by giving a soft nod, all while avoiding eye contact. She wanted to speak up, but ended up saying nothing.

Graceful Breeze led her group down the hall, stopping at every door and giving the patients their food, then leaving after she had a short chat with them.


POV: Ashen Rise

Ashen, not used to being called "Miss", blushed a bit under her blue-lit hood. "I know little of the plants found in the Everfree Forest other than the randomness of poison joke, but I don't think it's forbidden to collect them though at one's own risk. Anyway, I believe a zebra lives in the forest who could tell you more, though all I know of her is that she knows the Everfree and speaks in rhymes."

Entering the eastern wing of the hospital, Ashen half-dreaded what was to follow.

It had been a very long time since she'd last worked or helped at the hospital, and back then the patients didn't always react too well to her. Some got used to her as time passed, but now most of the patients would probably hardly know or remember her.

She'd rather work in the background, aiding the nurses and doctors or keeping watch over vulnerable patients at night; out of sight but just as crucial. But she could not refuse her mother's request. She owed her everything, so facing this fear for their sake is the least she can do for now.


As they got to the first room, she spoke up again to answer Tango's earlier question. "Why don't you give them their desserts while I distribute the meals and then go to the next room? That way, we won't get in each other's way…and that way the sight of me won't leave them too sick to eat…"

"Give them desserts, and then next room. Alright," Tango repeated, seriously absorbed with remembering each step of the task as Ashen related it. "Sorry, Miss Ashen, what was that last bit?"

Not expecting the question since her whisper was more a loud thought that she let slip, Ashen was a bit startled but tried to keep her composure. However, her spell breaking accidentaly shoved the cart for a moment before she managed to take hold of it again.

"Nothing important, shall we begin?" she said a bit shakily as she moved her telekinesis from the cart to a couple of the plates on it.

"Certainly, Miss Ashen," Tango replied, beaming with joy.


POV: Tango

The dark stallion followed Ashen Rise from room to room, levitating desserts from the tray and presenting them to each patient in turn with a handsome flourish and idle words of chit-chat regarding the patient's well-being, current events of Ponyville, and whether or not he would look good in a hospital gown ("Yes, I do believe I could pull if off.") regardless of whether the patient seems entirely inclined or capable of responding.

"Miss Ashen, should I be wearing a robe like yours while I'm doing this?" Tango asked of the mare while in-between transferring a pudding to the tray of an elderly gentlecolt and a mare with a fractured hoof. "I don't know much about hospital dress code, but I'd guess it doesn't include armor."

Ashen had been checking temperature of a young colt before delivering his meal, when he asked her. "No, there's no need for you to get a robe. The dress code are more guidelines to keep this place clean and the personnel identifiable," she said as she checked the thermostat she'd removed from the child's mouth.


"Just one more night and you should be good to go, Berry," she told him just before he had a coughing fit. Getting closer, she tried to comfort the colt by putting her front legs around him in a loose hug and petting him on the back. "There, there, just take it easy and let it out."

The coughing was quickly diminished and the child fell silent before she lay him back down on the bed and pulled the blanket over him. Tango failed to catch her whisper while completing his own task as she levitated the plate over to the cupboard next to the bed, leaving the thermometer there as well.


Slowly backing away now that her job was done, Ashen motioned Tango to follow her out as she led him and the food cart out into the hallway before continuing her answer to the stallion's question.

"My robes are for more personal reasons." Her voice had a somewhat sullen tone to it. "I'm sure you will ask me to show my face but I must warn you, I do not make a pretty sight."

"Oh, whatever you like," Tango responded rather indifferently, an incredibly warm and uncharacteristically thoughtful expression melding with his usual grin as his mind wandered elsewhere. As per usual, the transition from thought to speech was near-instantaneous with him.

"That's nice, isn't it? Just once, when I was a little foal, Sonata made me a soup while I was sick. It tasted pretty awful," Tango recalled fondly. Having no apparent point to this recollection, Tango continued working, humming pleasantly to himself.


POV: Mystic Shield

As Crinoline's apparent embarrassment from Mystic's sudden praise slowly faded away, she turned to Grace and asked, "Would it be okay to help in another way? I am really skilled at sewing."

Pushing up the hall, Grace said, "No, I don't think there is really much need for sewing right now. Clothes will definitely be torn in the forest and in battle, so patching them up will be very useful." She opened the door into a smaller one bed room. Under the covers there was a middle aged mare. Grace put a tray of food on the table next to her and asked her how her day was and how she was feeling.


Mystic Shield remained silent throughout this entire ordeal, following Grace's orders without much question. All the while, he thought back on his time in Ponyville. Over the months, thanks to Chronicle, his life had gotten interesting, moreso than his adventuring in his younger years. Dealing with the parasprite infestation, the Cutie Mark Crusaders leader Apple Bloom getting the Cutie Pox, the Running of the Leaves, dressing up as a knight in Nightmare Night, the Smarty Pants incident, the Gabby Gums scandal, a short tyrannical "rule" by a pony named Trixie, the Mysterious Mare Do Well, the attack of "Spikezilla"… It's a wonder the townsponies remained after all this, especially since the Everfree Forest was right close by.

And then he realized he was smiling. Unfortunately for him, Crinoline caught him in the act and was charging at him. "You think this is funny?" She then started kicking his side a couple of times with her meekly hind legs, looking more adorable than threatening though.

"These don't sound very serious compared to what happened to your students, right?" Crinoline remarked.

Grace was quick to step between the two and break up the fight before it started, staying planted between them. "Woah now, fillies. Save your feistiness for the creatures in the forest."


Suddenly from the doorway, a green and brown stallion, somewhat interested in the commotion, spoke up. "No, you two aren't right. You're not the same." He then turned around and mumbled "But you're gathered already. It's about to happen." While the second part was barely legible, Mystic's ears were keen enough to understand it as the stranger galloped down the hall.

Just after he left, Mystic wondered, "Huh? Not the same? Whatever does he mean?" then turned to Crinoline and said, "No, this matter is serious to me. I was just remembering the interesting events that have occurred in this town, that's all. Parasprites, Smarty Pants, Nightmare Night, Mare Do Well, Gabby Gums, this place being right next to the Everfree Forest… I wonder why this place remained even before it was realized that the Bearers of Harmony reside here, though I think one did hail from Canterlot."

At the same time, Crinoline said in a shaky voice, "I-I am sorry I didn't want to cause a scene, it is just…I feel very uncomfortable with the situation at hand, please excuse me." She then trotted out of the room, probably in search for Tango.


"We should give her some space. All of this is coming at her so fast," Grace said to Mystic Shield with a smile. "What is your take on all of this? Being a local pony, you know this town attracts trouble. But without the elements here, you four will have to take the reins."

"Four being me, Miss Crinoline, Tango, and Ashen who I presume is your daughter, right? I have some other students aside from the four currently in this hospital, but I haven't got the time to ask for their help. Most of them probably don't have the will to go, although I think Firecracker Burst may be rarin' to. I don't know where to find her, though. She roams around at times, practicing her fire, always getting into Minuette's nerves—who has an ice spell, by the way—, who else can I call…"

"Yes, you four seem like you can handle yourselves very well," Grace pushed her cart outside the room and headed to the next room. "I don't think you need to—or should—get extra help. You ponies are very tough, and others might not be completely up to the challenge. I'm here to help ponies heal, not send them out and risk getting hurt."

"Are you sure, Nurse?" asked Mystic as he followed her, doing what needed to be done. "Because I'm sure Firecracker would definitely want to join in. I did mention her fire abilities, right? Of course, I'll brief her in so she'll know what exactly she'll be getting herself into, then ask if she still wishes to go. If she refuses, then she won't go, simple as that."


POV: Ashen Rise

He didn't press the issue, either he's just being nice or… Ashen's line of thought was suddenly cut off.


While Tango was half-distracted, winking at a nurse, a mysterious pony galloped past the two, knocking Ashen across the shoulder, pulling her hood down, and almost knocking over the food cart. He didn't slow down to apologize or even look back at her, and just kept running to the entrance.

"Hey! No running in the halls!" she shouted after the figure. "Some ponies are trying to rest here." She was more annoyed by the stranger's reckless behavior than actually hitting her.

"Dear me…"

Then she noticed something was off as she turned to look at Tango as he steadied the cart and reached out to lend a supportive hoof to her. As it was, Tango has seen her cracked and split leathery gray skin she had been hiding.

Tango and exhaled through his snout with mild disapproval. "Being in a hurry is one thing, but you can always take a second to be polite, Waltz always says. Besides, somepony could have been hurt! There's pointy things all around this place. You're alright, aren't you?"


Surprised by this sudden change, and not registering anything else that Tango was saying, she can't help but let out a scream as she panicked. She tried to grab her hood with her magic and pulled it back over her head as she backed away but she pulled too much on it, and ended up pulling her head down with it as she backed up into the wall.

She was expecting to hear Tango scream as she knew he'd seen her scars, but instead she only heard her own echoing through the halls. As she let go of the hood and allowed herself to breathe again, she looked up and saw Tango trotting off in the direction the stranger went.

Sitting down against the wall and letting her head hang, she can't help but sigh, thoroughly embarrassed by her own reaction and the fact that she probably managed to scare somepony away again. "Well, isn't that just great." She let out a sigh.

Author's Note:

You didn't understand Tango? Me neither. But that's what Ivan typed, so that's what I'm putting.

Bad news. The Lingering Chaos roleplay has been cancelled. However, I will do my best to continue writing up to the point where it ended.