• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 2,508 Views, 30 Comments

One Week Til Her End - Bakmah Genesis



Rainbow Dash faces the emotional challenge of only one week left to live due to Wing Cancer.

  • ...
10
 30
 2,508

Surgery

Rainbow woke up, but her eyes stayed shut, not wanting to open them. She tried to roll onto her side but the pain was unbearable. She groaned and sunk her head deeper into the pillow. All she wanted was for it to end, but she had to wait. She knew Twilight could do it, but if she didn't, she was prepared to die. She got to be a Wonderbolt, even if it was for a day, saved Equestria multiple times, and most of all, she confessed to love of her life. She did all the things she could have ever wanted has been done, she was ready.

She sighed at the thought, she was still troubled at the thought of leaving Twilight and having her final moments just staring into those beautiful eyes as she passed on. A tear rolled down her cheek and she opened her eyes, looking up at the ceiling.

There was a knock on the door. Rainbow called for them to enter and a nurse walked in, a big smile on her face. Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow as she saw the cart. It had a tub with soapy water and a brush.

"What, now I'm going to be bathed by brush?" she asked the nurse as she walked up to her bed. The nurse laughed and shook her head.

"No. I'm here to prep you." This caught Rainbow's attention.

"Prep? Prep what and for what?" The nurse's smile grew wider.

"She finished the spell, Rainbow. We checked it and confirmed it will work, they even had me cast it so I knew the spell. As for what, I'm here to clean your wings and the area around your wings so when they start the surgery, dirt and filth doesn't get into the open areas and cause infections." Rainbow smiled as the nurse lifted her and flipped her over with her magic.

"Well, its nice to know that I might not die tomorrow." joked Rainbow Dash, but her smile faded. "I just might die today." The nurse stopped scrubbing in between her wings and frowned at Rainbow Dash.

"I know the chances might not be all that great since we go done to the spine, but you have to have faith." She paused as she walked around and started on the other wing. "Think of Twilight during the surgery. Yes, you'll be under but try to think of her in your sleep." The nurse smiled. "It will give you something to hold onto and your chances of surviving might even improve." Rainbow returned the nurse's smile. She knew the nurse was right.

"Alright, all done." said the nurse. "Now, I'm going to cast the spell. I'll get the doctors in first, of course. The spell will put you under, but we will still make a few precautions of our own." She paused. "Are you ready?" Rainbow nodded. She closed her eyes as her back was covered in a tingling sensation. That was the last thing she remembered.

__________________________________________________________________________

Twilight sat in the waiting room. She was told that they were going to start the surgery and she was more than welcome to sit in the painting room and wait for results. She tried to say something to Rainbow when they brought her by but she was already under. All she could do was sit and wait for her to come out.

There were plenty of times that Twilight couldn't sit still because she was so nervous, and this was the worst. Her girlfriend and love her life was now being layed down on a table and was about to have her wings removed from her spine. She wasn't a doctor, but she knew that it was a huge risk. It could go three ways in this situation: She can come out with no wings and be perfectly fine, she could come out with no wings but the spell failed to remove all branching of the cancer, or she couldn't come out at all, except for under the white sheet covering her whole body, signalling her death. She didn't want think about it but it could happen.

The others soon came by and sat there with her, giving her all the support she would need.

"Twilight, dear, I'm sure they've done this procedure plenty times before." said Rarity. She sighed. "But you probably already knew that. I doubt you would have let this happen if weren't satisfied with your research." Rarity looked at Twilight's blank expression as she continued to do nothing but look at the clock.

"I actually didn't do any research." The others stared at her in shock. "I just couldn't stand to look at the records of pegasi before who have come in and had the same done. Some living, some dying. I couldn't stand that." Tears started to form. Applejack put a hoof around her.

"Nopony said ya had to, Two. We all are just as worried about her as you are." Twilight smiled.

"Thanks guys. I know we'll get throu-" The sound of a small alarm cut her off. Nurses got up and looked over at the screen.

"What room is it?" asked Redheart, looking past the unicorn in front of the screen.

"Operation room 8. Current patient: Rainbow Dash." It took all four of the friends to keep Twilight from jumping up and running into the operating room. Nurse Redheads shook her head.

"Get somebody in there now! Do not let here die." The nurse nodded and was followed by two others as she sprinted down the hall to Rainbow's room. Nurse Redheart looked at the emotional trainwreck that was Twilight Sparkle.

The alarm stopped. Redheart loomed at the screen and smiled as she saw Rainbow's monitor back to normal. Nurse Redheart walked over to Twilight.

"She made it. Her heart rate is back to normal." Twilight smiled and the tears rolled down her cheeks. "She made it."

Author's Note:

Alright, one more chapter folks. After the next one, it's done. I may try and do a reading of this story so we'll just have to wait and see.