• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 6,952 Views, 28 Comments

Twilight & her Foalsitter - Dangerous_Creature



Cadance gets to watch young Twilight Sparkle overnight for the first time. Things do not go well.

  • ...
8
 28
 6,952

Part 1: Fun

Disclaimer: This is a fanfiction; all characters & settings remain property of the copyright owners.
This story involves disciplinary spanking in a non-sexual context. If this is objectionable to you please take responsibility and stop reading now.

Part 1

"I wish I could go."
"It's not that kind of party, Twily" explained Night Light for what felt like the hundredth time "it's just going to be boring grown ups standing around and talking about our jobs at the University."
"If they're so boring why don't grown ups play games and dance at their parties?" asked Twilight Sparkle.
He chuckled and reached over to tussle his daughter's mane. "I don't know, sweetie, sometimes I wish it was like that. So how do I look?" Night Light took a step back from the bathroom mirror to let her see him in his formal black tie dinner jacket.
"Resplendent!" she answered with perfect pronunciation.
Her father raised his eyebrows and replied "That's a very grown up word...maybe you should go to the party."
"Can I?" the young filly exclaimed, hopping up on a stool.

"Don't tease her dear" Twilight Velvet lightly scolded as she walked up and planted a kiss on her husband's cheek.
The sight of her mother in a fancy evening gown took little Twily's breath away. "Mommy you look splendiforous!"
"Now that is not a real word" laughed Night Light.
Turning her nose up in an exaggerated pout, Twilight Sparkle argued "Well it should be. Don't you think mommy looks wonderful in her gown?"
"I sure do" he answered, "in fact I wonder what such a beautiful mare is doing with a mule like me." The couple rubbed noses, eliciting a squeal of dismay from their daughter.
"Ewwwwww...are you two gonna start kissing?"
"And what if we do?" asked Velvet.
Sparkle sighed and plopped her rump down on the stool. "I guess it's okay."
"I'm glad you approve" chuckled her father before locking his wife in a long romantic kiss. Twilight Sparkle didn't really think it was gross...in fact seeing her parents turned out in their finest for a fancy party at the Royal Ballroom seemed like a fairy tale. Princess Celestia was even going to make an appearance!
Hopping down off her stool the filly complained "I still wish I could go."
"It's not a party for foals" her mother replied firmly, "and I think I remember hearing your father tell you that at least a dozen times. Besides, wouldn't you rather spend the night with Cadance?"
"Cadance is coming?" exclaimed Twily, whipping around in excitement, "But you always have Mrs. Tea Rose watch me when I need a night time foal-sitter."
"Yes, this is the first time we've trusted Cadance to look after you at night...but Mrs. Rose will be right next door in case there are any problems" explained Velvet. "I expect you to be on your best behavior and not give Cadance any grief, understood?"
"Yes yes yes yes!" cheered the purple filly, hopping around both of her parents.

____________________________________________

Cadance showed up exactly ten minutes early, and as soon as Twily could be pried off her Velvet reviewed the rules; "She's had her dinner already, and there's an evening snack for both of you in the ice-box. If there are any problems our neighbor Tea Rose is just a few paces away next door. She knows the situation, she knows we'll be out past midnight at the Canterlot University Gala, she knows this is your first time foal-sitting at night and she's happy to help. Go to her if you have any issues...or even if you feel sleepy before Twily has been put to bed. Got it?"
"Yes ma'am" answered the teenager, "will Shining Armor be here tonight?"
"He's out with some of his school friends tonight" Night Light informed her, "he won't be getting back until pretty late I should think."
"Oh," said Cadance, blushing a little, worried that her question could be interpreted the wrong way "but I'm sure we'll be fine & have absolutely no problems."
"Of course" Velvet replied with a nod "you're always very reliable, Cadance. I'm sure you can handle the job." She bent down to kiss Twilight Sparkle on the cheek. "Be good...be in bed by nine."
"Moooooom!" whined the young filly, "It's not even a school night!"
Her more easy going Dad came to the rescue, conceding and extra half hour. "I guess nine-thirty is alright." His wife gave a disapproving snort but did not object. Cadance leaned down to whisper in Twily's ear "That means ten" and the two shared a conspiratorial giggle.

Once her parents were gone for the evening Twilight watched them from the window, getting into the cab and going off to their fancy party with Princess Celestia. "Didn't they look wonderful?"
"That's a beautiful gown your mother is wearing" agreed Cadance, "and your father is very handsome in his dinner jacket."
"Wish we could go to the party" Twilight sighed, "I hear Princess Celestia herself is going to be there."
"The Princess might make a short appearance at the reception" Cadance corrected, deflating some of Twily's fairy tale fantasies. "But mostly it's going to be a bunch of adults standing around listening to a string quartet, drinking wine and talking about the University and their dusty old books."
"But I LOVE books!" Twilight Sparkle exclaimed.
Cadance laughed out loud in spite of herself. "Now that's the understatement of the year! But trust me...you'd be bored stiff in less than an hour. My parents have dragged me along to a bunch of these stuffy formal parties and it's really not much fun."
"At least you get to go see for yourself" Twilight sighed, "it must be so exciting being a Princess."
Cadance rolled her eyes. She'd had this conversation with her young charge dozens of times. Twilight had her head full of storybook ideas about what royalty, fancy balls and grand galas were all about. "Come on Twily, we've talked about this so many times already. My family might hold a royal title but that doesn't make us any different from other ponies. Our family lands were absorbed into Princess Celestia's realm centuries ago...all that's left is the archaic title."
"But you get to do special stuff because you're a princess!" Twily objected. "You get to go to fancy balls and attend the best school in Canterlot!"
The older filly struck down Twilight's grandiose illusions one by one; "Those balls are totally boring, and Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns is really demanding. On top of all that my parents are super strict with me. As a princess I have to be on my best behavior all the time...I get in trouble for using the incorrect fork for salad or telling the wrong joke at a party. I'd much rather hang out with you than be at some stodgy University party."

"Betcha if we went together it would be fun" muttered Twilight, still depressed over her inability to be a grown up and sophisticated unicorn right now.

With a big grin, Cadance realized what would get her little friend out of her funk. "Hey Twily...I think I know one song they won't be hearing at the Canterlot University Gala." Twilight Sparkle perked up and showed her first smile of the night. In perfect unison the two began their favorite rhyme; "Sunshine, sunshine, lady bugs awake! Clap your hooves and..."

___________________________________________________

Over the next few hours Cadance & Twilight had lots of fun together, playing games, working on a jigsaw puzzle, eating their dessert and doing Twilight's favorite thing in the whole world, reading books. It was already past nine o'clock but the purple filly showed no signs of tiring out. The same could not be said of Cadance, who'd had a demanding day at school before she even came over to foal-sit. She loved Twilight Sparkle dearly, but sometimes she wished the little filly had an off-switch.
"Look what this book says! Lightning can come from two sources...magic and static electricity. I wonder if electricity is actually some sort of magic that we ponies could harness someday!"
"We have, Twily" yawned Cadance, "that's what powers light-bulbs, remember."
"But that comes from big hydro...hydro...electro..." Twilight struggled with the daunting word.
"Hydroelectric" said Cadance, "hydroelectric dams. Equestria has a lot of them, but we still don't have electricity run to every town in the realm."
"Well maybe if we learned to control static lightning we could use it to give electricity to ponies in distant towns!"
"Sounds pretty dangerous" opined the teenaged filly, "but maybe if you figured out a way to make it safe you'd get your cutie mark for electrical engineering." She yawned again and suggested "You know, it's getting pretty late. Maybe it's time to hit the hay and hope brilliant ideas come to you in your dreams."
That plan did not meet with the little filly's approval at all. "But Cadance! You said I could stay up until ten o'clock!" Then she noticed how tired her foal-sitter was getting and offered her own suggestion. "Cadance, if you want to take a quick nap you can. I'll just keep studying and wake you up at ten. Then I'll go straight to bed with no arguments, I promise!"

Every instinct told Cadance that was a bad idea. Even the sweetest, most polite, intelligent foal could get out of hand in the blink of an eye if you weren't careful...every good foal-sitter knew that. But this was Twilight Sparkle; the most trouble she could possibly get into was forgetting to return a library book on time. And besides, Cadance was so tired she could barely keep her eyes open. I really should go knock on Mrs. Tea Rose's door...but I hate to bother her at this hour. Cadance thought, and she would probably make Twily go straight to bed, which wouldn't be fair since I promised she could stay up until ten. How much trouble can she get into just reading? She looked at Twilight, grinning hopefully with her electricity book open on the coffee table in front of her. "Okay Twily...but I'm not going to sleep, I'm just going to rest my eyes."
"I'll be as quiet as a mouse!" promised the purple filly.

It did not take long before Cadance was in a deep sleep on the living room sofa. Twilight Sparkle kept her promise, even turning the pages quietly. What concerned her more was the building rain & thunder outside...she did not want it to disturb Cadance's nap. The filly went to the window and watched as bright bolts of lightning streaked across the sky. Static electricity...every bolt reaches temperatures of over three thousand degrees Kelvin...lightning seeks the highest conductor. She lightly galloped back to the coffee table to check her book again. There was an experiment in there that fascinated her. A pony could fly a kite into a lightning cloud, tie a metal key to the string and actually feel the static charge run down the wet string! That sounded so amazing that Twilight wanted to try it that very instant. The perfect thunderclouds were outside...and her big brother had just recently taught her how to fly a kite!

Leaving Cadance sleeping on the sofa downstairs, Twilight Sparkle galloped up to her bedroom to find her kite. "It's got to be in here somewhere!" the excited filly exclaimed as she ransacked her toy-box & closet. Twilight knew her mother would get upset and yell at her for messing up her room again, but there would be plenty of time to clean up after the experiment. At last she located the kite...now to find a metal key. "Oh! Daddy has one of those in his desk!" She was normally not allowed in her father's study but in her blind excitement Twilight rationalized this. "This is important...this is for science! I'm sure he won't mind." She located exactly what she was looking for in the top drawer of his desk; a heavy skeleton key. It was hidden under a bunch of magazines with mares doing weird stuff. Twily was curious, but she'd have to investigate these magazines later...there was an experiment to do now!
Back to the book; Twilight Sparkle checked again the correct arrangement of her parts. It was critical to get this right. Her kite would soar up into the thunderclouds...the string would get wet...and static electricity would be conducted down to Daddy's key, hanging down by the bottom of her string. If all went well she would be able to feel the tingle of static electricity coming from the key.

The top floor of Twilight's house provided the perfect spot to conduct the experiment. There were many balconies, her own room even had one, even though the door was locked and she wasn't allowed to go out there unless Mommy, Daddy or Shiny was with her. But it was the top-most balcony that obsessed the purple filly's mind. Mom called it a "widow's watch" but Twilight really didn't understand why. What do widows watch for, way up there, practically on the roof?
None of that mattered right now. The purple filly dashed up the stairs, clutching her kite & father's key in her mouth. It was awkward...Twily wished she was better at levitation so she would not have to carry everything. The high balcony was at the end of a hallway, one that Twilight did not come up to often. Luckily, its door was not locked. She reached up and opened the latch, only to be pushed back by a fierce gust of rain & wind. It knocked the kite out of her mouth, but a quick inspection showed no tears. Outside, the storm was more violent than Twilight Sparkle had expected...a little scary even. But she was a pony committed to learning, and the book said that big storms generated big static charges, which is exactly what Twily wanted. Since it was blowing so hard outside the filly tied her key to the kite string before stepping out onto the balcony. With everything in place she took a deep breath and stepped outside into the swirling maelstrom.

Twilight had been out in rainstorms before, but up so high the clouds and wind seemed even scarier. A sharp crack of thunder almost scared her out of her purple fur, but now was not the time to chicken out. You've come this far, Twilight, now get this kite up in the air the way Shining Armor showed you. It was even easier than that. Twily raised the kite, expecting to take a short running start to launch it, but the wind practically ripped it out of her hoof. She watched in awe as it raced off into the thunderclouds...remembering at the last second to grab her string before she lost the whole experiment.

How hard the kite-line pulled astonished Twily...but then the wind was much stronger than on that afternoon she and Shiny had flown it at Canterlot Park. Worried that it would slip out of her teeth Twilight wrapped the string around her hoof a few times and stood on it for good measure. That worked well...the key danced just a few inches in from of her face. Okay...now do something quick! I don't wanna be out here longer than I have to!
She got her wish. Amazing blue sparks danced up and down the wet kite string, and when she held out her free hoof they tickled her. "Wow!" the filly gasped. It was just like it said in the book.
Another crack of thunder went off behind her, closer this time. That was enough. The experiment had been a success so there was no reason to stay outside in this cold, scary storm. Twily would reel the kite in, get dried off and go tell Cadance all about what she'd learned. But it was harder to recover the kite than she'd expected. So fierce were the storm that it took all her meager strength to pull a few inches back. She had to wait until the wind went slack to gather in a few inches, then hold on for dear life when a gust came up.

Then all her efforts turned into disaster. To Twilight's dismay the wind direction changed, blowing her kite string straight into her home's weather vane, tangling it hopelessly. "Aw shoot!" she cursed, stomping her little hoof. She tugged on it fruitlessly, there was no way to get it down. But that kite had been a special gift from her big brother...he'd made it himself especially for her. Twily was heartbroken at the thought of leaving it up there. What if the string breaks? I might never see it again! She knew there was only one way to untangle that string, but the thought of climbing that slippery roof terrified her.