• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 2,679 Views, 158 Comments

Smoke & Mirrors - Doctah WAAwee



Ah yes, you give me free food, clean up after me, bathe me, give me free living space, and cater to my every need. Yes, I'M the stupid monkey.

  • ...
16
 158
 2,679

Blind Angel

The sound of laughter, cheering, and screaming filled the cafeteria as the ponies on the caravan partied and 'whooped it up'. Finally after 'two months' of traveling the caravan reached the griffon kingdom, it was one step closer to becoming the richest ponies in all of Equestria. Starlight raised her cup and cheered.

"Everypony! Just a few more weeks until we finally get the coin we deserve! No more working with filthy ugly humans! No more diving in hot nasty forests looking for our next paycheck! Soon, we retire early! And stuff our faces like royalty for THE REST OF OUR LIVES! CHEERS!"

*YEAH!*

...

Ponyvillie was just a days journey away, the sign that signified the proximity of Ponyvillie was past about five hours ago. Amias was getting Rainsugar ready to go ahead of the caravan. He made sure to erase all traces of Rainsugar from the minds of all the worker ponies in the caravan.

"Now...I want you to...to...take this sack, and walk towards the town of Ponyvillie...don't stop until you've made it *cough*...is that...understood?" Amias rasped out with quite a bit of effort.

The mare known as Rainsugar nodded. Amias wiped her entire life, all except her speech and motor skill functions.

"Now go...make a new life for yourself..."

She started walking, the stallions who hauled the caravan were inside for the party celebrating the arrival at the 'griffon kingdom'.

Blood dripped from Amias's eyes as he limped towards his cage...

The last two weeks have been very destructive to his body. Even though he knows the magic and can cast the spells, his body was severely unprepared for the actual strain using the magic applied to his body. Blood occasionally seeped out of his eyes, his entire body was sore to the point of collapse. He would occasionally cough up blood in the middle of sentences, and that's only the inner problems.

His appearance has...morphed into something more fitting a magician who practices the manipulation of the mind. His eyelids have become jet black. Curved, fang-shaped triangles formed above, and below his eyelids, originating from the eyelids themselves. His fingernails have become long, sharp, and black. His hair became near shoulder length and constantly covered his eyes. His weight before he came to this world was a healthy for his height of 6'3 200 pounds, but since he decided to give up his food for the starved humans, who needed it much more than he did, it dropped to an anorexic 150 pounds. He could barely stay conscious and was at his limit.

'I don't even think I'll survive long enough to get to Ponyvillie...'

He coughed some more blood out, his eyes became extremely heavy and his legs gave out.

'I...have to hold on...just until we get to Ponyvillie...'

He watched Rainsugar walk away until she was out of sight.

'I wonder what name she'll give herself when she arrives...I just hope she doesn't mess it up this time...'

He slowly walked back to the caravan, hearing the cheers and cries of the ponies inside, he smiled.

'At least these scumbags will get whats coming to them, and the humans that survived will finally get the care they deserve...'

Thinking of the humans who survived dampened his mood some. Even with his help, 15 humans died, and only 47 remained out of the 300 humans they have stored in the caravan.

'I can't be thinking of that...I did my best...did I?'

He went to the cages and sat in his own cage, getting ready for the final push towards Ponyvillie. The party simmered down some and the caravan began to move...

It started raining, but that didn't deter the stallions from moving towards their 'fame and fortune'. Amias didn't even have to 'motivate' them to push.

...

Amias could barely breath right now, the 24 hours it took to get to Ponyvillie was horribly taxing on him, he was afraid that if he went to sleep he might never wake up again, and his magic would dissipate. Cheers, hollers, and many other things were said as they finally stopped the caravan...

Amias was barely hanging on as it is, it took all that he had left to smile and say one word before he stopped the magic...and pass out.

"Heh, heh...Psych."


The sound of the storm raining down their thunder and lightning was the only sound that was heard in the humble little cottage of a golden yellow pegasus...

Usually the sound of her favorite little bunny would be heard hopping through the house, demanding some nigh impossible dish to sate his gourmet level taste for food...but the house was empty today, as the mare commonly known as Fluttershy was standing next to a pile of rocks. The rain that poured down masked the tears that ran down her face as she, and her other animal friends put down at least something on the rock pile in remembrance of the picky rabbit they all came to love...

"Oh Angel..." Fluttershy said between sadness induced hiccups "You will always be momma's favorite little bunny..."

The bunny died a thankfully peaceful death, surrounded by his many...many...many family members. Angle was just that age now, over the weeks Fluttershy saw the signs...the 'hip' in his hop was slowly fading, he became much more docile when it came to matters of the stomach, he would snuggle up to her before bed...and the final clue was when he 'asked for forgiveness' for all the times he's been a bad little bunny. Fluttershy knew more than anypony that this could not be cured, avoided, or stopped...it was his time.

Angel bunny passed away in Fluttershy's hooves...the same hooves he was held in when he was born and he looked up for the first time to see Fluttershy's almost angelic smile...that was his last sight on this world also.

Fluttershy had many months to emotionally prepare herself for this moment, surrounded by her friends, family, sisters, you name it.

An orange pony by the name of Applejack came to her side and patted her on the back "Hun, ah know what it feels like... before Winona was born, her mother, Sally, and me where inseparable...ah had her for almost mah entire fillyhood before she passed...ah wouldn't leave mah room for three days, not tah eat...not tah work...nothing. Ah finally bucked up and moved on, because like you ah had a mighty long time to see it coming..." a tear ran down the farm ponies face " but that hasn't stopped me from thinking about her every-time ah see Winona..."

Fluttershy looked to her friend. A mare with a rock solid foundation built upon trust, hard work, and friendship crying over the same pain she was feeling...with a surprisingly strong grip, she hugged Applejack and began to express her sadness by crying in her embrace.

"There there hon...we're all here for you." After she said that, four other mares joined in the hug. They all did their best to comfort the grieving mare, they were friends until the end, this same friendship was so strong that it saved the land of Equestria countless times...

But this is easily the hardest thing they had to do.

...

Days after the funeral, Fluttershy finally recovered somewhat. She knew that she couldn't neglect the other animals in her care, so she had to go into town to resupply in animal food.

As she was walking towards town, she noticed a definite lack of ponies.

'Strange...this is suppost to be the busiest time of day...maybe Pinkie is throwing another 'Busiest times of the day' parties.'

As she was walking over to the vendors to purchase a bag of animal feed...she noticed that the vendor wasn't there either.

She heard a giant ruckus somewhere over the center of town, and decided to see whats happening. The crowd was huge.

"Ummm, excuse me...pardon me...uumm." She couldn't be heard over the crowd, she was about to give up until she remembered one tiny little detail.

She was a pegasus...

So, she went into the air to get a birds eye view of what got Ponyvillie so intense.

There were royal guards hauling away ponies, they were kicking and screaming all they way into the transport facility.

Or specifically they were screaming 'THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE! HOW!? HOW ARE WE HERE!?' and...more colorful language.

Fluttershy was shocked to say the least, but she was also confused. To get the royal guards here, this must have been a SERIOUS offense, she looked to the caravan the guards were taking the ponies out...she almost had a heart attack.

One by one, on stretchers, out of the caravan they were carting away...

Humans...so many humans.

Most of them had a white blanket over them, signifying that they were...

Only a handful of the humans carted out of the caravan were actually alive...if you can call being starved almost to death as alive.

At speeds that could make Rainbow Dash jealous, she raced over to the human wing of the veterinarian facility, where most of the humans were being carted to.

When she touched down, she went into the wing to see about 47 humans on beds. They were all being treated for extreme undernourishment. She knew the pony in charge of this wing, so she moved around and finally found her.

"Lyra...how...how are they?" Fluttershy shakily asked, tears spilling from her face as she looked around the room, almost all the humans where unresponsive. They had IV's strapped to them, and other medical equipment.

Lyra looked over to Fluttershy "Ah Fluttershy, just the mare I wanted to see..." Lyra sighed. "These humans have been through Tarterus and back...we can only hope that if they survived however long they were in that caravan...then let's hope they survive a few more days so they can stabilize."

"But...if you don't mind me asking...why did you want to see me, do you want my help? Because I would gladly take some of your hooves."

"Actually...I was going to ask you to take one human off our hooves..."

"Only one?"

Lyra slumped "Yes...but it's the most...duanting case we have. It's being treated at the Ponyvillie hospital...it's 'unique'."

Fluttershy was confused at the reason why a human would be treated at a hospital for ponies, but she didn't argue and flew over to the hospital.

'How...could somepony be so cruel to humans...to animals...why?'

To say that this experience threw her for a loop would be an understatement. She was so caught up in her thoughts that she almost slammed into the Ponyvillie hospital's wall a la Rainbow Dash.

She landed and went in to the receptionists desk. The unicorn manning the desk had a grey coat, a darker grey mane, and her eyes were a crystal blue.

"Umm, excuse me?" Fluttershy asked.

She looked up from the papers "yes, how can I help you?" she asked politely.

"I'm looking for the human that was sent here...If its alright...can you tell me where it is?"

"Third floor, second door to your right."

"Ummm...thank you."

Fluttershy left the receptionist and followed her directions towards the humans room...and when she got there...

She almost fainted, under lighter circumstances she would have, but she steeled herself.

Two doctors were there, and when Fluttershy came into the room they both looked to her.

"Ah, Fluttershy, Lyra said you would come." Said one of the doctors.

Fluttershy looked at the human on the bed...

It was the most expertly bread human she has EVER laid eyes on...it was strapped to an I.V and its eyes were heavily bandaged...blood stained them.

"Your probably wondering what your looking at right now...to tell you the truth, we barely even know."

"What...happened to it?" She said, shakily staring a the human before her.

"In all my years of the study of ponies and humans alike...I have never seen such a perfectly bread human...This human's existence shouldn't even be possible with our technology and limited knowledge of humans DNA..."

The other doctor spoke "This human must have taken YEARS to make...and it's aliment only furthers the impossibility of its existence...It's suffering from EXTREME magic depletion, and contamination..."

Fluttershy just looked at them in a confused manner.

"Magic depletion is self explanatory, your magic is depleted...but magic contamination...is a bit more difficult."

The other doctor continued. "Magic as you know is living energy, the energy found in all being on this world. When a unicorn casts a spell, they're converting their magical energy to the magic they are casting...but when the magic they are casting is stronger than the magic they have within themselves, that magic converts some of the magic inside the pony into itself. It doesn't have any adverse side affects, the magic is still there, but it might lead to some changes in the pony, you understand?"

"I...think so?"

"Good...other than the starving, it's injuries can only be obtained by ponies...we contacted the scientists in Canterlot to see what they want to do with this...occurrence...they said that they want to study the human, but only when it has made a full recovery...the contamination will always be there, but it won't have any physical side affects...this human must have been heavily experimented on illegally by a group of high class scientists, the pain it must have felt..."

The doctor slumped and sighed "That is why we called you in Fluttershy. Physically, it'll make a full recovery...but MENTALLY, it needs something more than a sterile bed and medication to assure its mental health...it needs love, care...it needs kindness."

"Say no more doctor, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I sat by and let this poor human suffer like this, I'll do my absolute best...if that's okay."

The doctors nodded "We'll bring a team here to transport it to your house...good luck, Celestia knows this human deserves it. You will be compensated and funded for all your expenses."

...

The team of doctors carefully transported the human towards her house. The animals looked over in curiosity as the human was gently placed in the room used for slightly larger sick animals...Fluttershy thoroughly cleaned the room before he came in, Mr. Bearington left quite a hairy mess.

After they left, Fluttershy looked over to the human, he ran a hoof over it's hair.

"Don't worry sweetie...I'll take care of you."

She moved to take off the gauze that covered his eyes, they had to be replaced...and she was just the tiniest bit curious, the doctors mentioned something about its eyes.

She was surprised when she saw them, they were closed of course and had a crescent moon like black mark over them, she didn't want to agitate them, so she put new bandages over his eyes and stared at him.

'I don't even want to imagine what horrors those mean ponies put you through, but don't worry...me and my friends will make sure you get better...I've already lost one friend, I don't plan on losing another potential one.'