• Published 27th Jul 2013
  • 3,273 Views, 319 Comments

Wonderbolt Down - Rebonack



Sharing a birthday with three of my closest friends? Great! Discovering that we've all acquired the cutie mark of relatively minor Wonderbolts? A little awkward. Actually becoming said Wonderbolts? Now that's just downright creepy.

  • ...
7
 319
 3,273

Wherein There is a Party

I quickly resolve not to watch Surprise setting up for the party for the sake of my sanity and the sake of her actually getting it done. It's almost as if she operates under a cartoonish version of the uncertainty principle. If you aren't watching Surprise her position and velocity of decoration application are both unknown and undefined. But the moment you observe her Surprise's absurd wave-form collapses, usually in a heap of streamers.

Which is why Dust and I are sequestered in my room turning my old jeans into make-shift saddlebags. Turns out my talons can cut through the tough denim without too much trouble which makes sheering off the legs and crotch until there's just a belt of sorts remaining isn't that hard. I finish my second pair and toss them in front of Dust.

The aqua pegasus scrutinizes them. “So how am I supposed to put these things on, anyway?” she asks, prodding at the butchered pants with a hoof.

“How do ponies put on clothing in the show? I'm not the expert here. I'm just along for the ride,” I laugh.

Dust starts pressing her hoof against the pants and lifting it again, scowling each time. In short order she starts stomping on the awful saddlebag that I had put so much effort into and growing increasingly agitated.

“Come on you stupid thing! Stick!” she growls at the poor abused clothing.

“Okay, I'm lost again. I know Surprise somehow managed to tie on a ninja headband using only her hooves, but she's been bending physics over her knee ever since this insanity started,” I point out. “What exactly are you expecting from your hooves?”

“Magnet hooves,” Dust says resolutely before thwacking her hoof into the pants again.

“Magnet hooves?” I echo. It's so awkward being the odd one out when it comes to the show. I really need to watch more episodes so I'll get all these references.

“Magnet hooves,” Dust confirms. “Everypony can pick stuff up with their hooves. Things just kind of stick to them, right? Surprise already figured out how to do it but she won't give me a straight answer when I ask how.”

What a shock.

“So I'm going to figure it out on my own! Flying was a snap, so how hard could this be?” Dust reasons.

“Wait,” I wave a hand for Dust to stop pounding the ever loving crap out of my ruined pants. She pauses with a hoof in mid-air and ready to descend. “If ponies can make their hooves stick to things wouldn't they be able to climb walls Spider Man style?”

“You mean Spider Mane?” Dust replies with a smirk. I level a deadpan expression at her and give my tail an irritated flick. That prompts her to continue. “Nah, it doesn't seem to work like that. Not on the show, anyway. And so far the show hasn't steered us wrong. Ah ha!”

Lightning Dust lifts her hoof aloft, pants dangling from the end of the limb like a ruined flag.

“Neat! So how did you do it?” I ask curiously.

“I have no idea!” Dust admits no less enthusiastically. “But isn't it awesome? Now I'll be able to pick up spoons and stuff!”

The absurdity of this situation is by no means lost on me. I begin casually inspecting my talons. “Yeah, picking stuff up is pretty cool.”

That remark rewards me with a pair of awful saddlebags to the face.

Ever so slowly I reach up and remove the pants dangling off my beak. Ever so smoothly I hold my front leg out to one side and drop the pants on the floor. I wiggle my butt in the air for half a second which happens to be just long enough for Dust to realize what I'm about to do. The look of awful realization that spreads across her face right before I pounce on her is absolutely priceless.

“Oh it's on now!” the pegasus laughs as we begin tussling and rolling and kicking around on the floor. I'm a bit bigger and stronger than Dust is, but the pegasus is freaky flexible and getting any sort of a hold on her proves to be about as easy as nailing jello to a wall. She head-butts me in the chest and the breath woofs out of my lungs. I respond by tackling her over backwards when she starts yucking it up.

Not about to be out-done Dust somehow rolls out from under me and then leaps onto my back, wrapping her hooves around my neck. I stagger around for a few seconds flailing wildly at her when I suddenly remember my uncanny watermelon catching tail. The usually rebelious limb lashes around her back leg and I whip myself around, tossing her onto my bed. I don't give her a chance to react and follow up with a quick pounce.

And of course Surprise comes trotting in right as I pin Dust to the bed.

We both freeze.

Surprise glances between the two of us and remarks brightly. “Oh! Are you two busy right now? I was wondering if you could help me hang some banners! But if you need some alone time I can come back later.”

Fast as I can blink we're both sitting on opposite sides of the bed, faces flushed and eyes focused intently on the floor.

“Great! Well, come on then!” Surprise laughs. “This party won't set itself up after all!”

We both follow Surprise silently. Though Dust still sees fit to cuff me in the back of the head with her wing.

I'm going to pretend that it makes perfect sense that Surprise just happened to have all these baking materials and party supplies from her shop. I'm not going to think about how she got them here or how we didn't notice. If I ask she'll give me an answer that doesn't explain anything. And later it will either turn out to have a reasonable explanation or it will fly in the face of possibility. Just remember Geneva, cartoon physics. Surprise has got it in spades.

Dust and I get to work hanging various banners around my apartment that declare everything from 'Welcome to the Surprise Party!' to 'Equestria Girls: We're Kinda Magical!'. It is no doubt another reference I don't get. All the while Surprise is bouncing around sticking streamers to everything and hanging up confetti filled balloons. All the decorations are in soft pastel colors that would have made me go into overly-girly shock a few days prior.

Ha. Wow. How long has it been now? It was only Friday when the cutie mark appeared on my hips. One long weekend later and I'm helping my magical pony pals set up a Friendship is Magic themed party in my apartment. A party that we're throwing to warm some humans up to the existence of real living breathing cartoon characters so we can use footage of said party to make an announcement video that may or may not decide the future of our species.

But no pressure, right?

A balloon bounces into the side of my head and sticks. With a huff I grab the thing and pull it off only to find strands of my mane clinging to it stubbornly. I finally give the balloon a swat and it sails across the room and adheres to a wall.

Dust is absolutely losing it now and I stare at her as if she's going insane. She begins pointing a hoof at my head. “Your mane looks great Geneva!”

What?

I run a hand through my hair and discover that it's all standing on end from a static charge. I can probably guess the culprit.

“So you've learned to master mysterious arcane forces beyond the understanding of mortal man and what do you do with them?” I ask Dust sardonically.

“Watch this,” Dust proclaims with a grin. The aqua pegasus grabs another balloon between her hooves and begins to rub it vigorously against her fur, causing little golden yellow sparks and arcs of electricity to begin dancing across it. Then she gives it a little bop and it drifts over to Surprise and settles against her dayglow yellow poof of a tail.

Surprise yelps as all of her fur leaps out straight giving her a passing resemblance to some kind of pony sheep llama hybrid.

Dust doubles over in laughter again. “Oh my God, Surprise! You look like a fluffy pony!”

My absurdly poofy friend looks herself over and then in a nasally voice proclaims, “I'm so fluffy! I'm so fluffy I'm gunna die!” And then makes good on that proclamation by flopping over onto her back with her legs sticking straight into the air. When she topples over Surprise somehow manages to make a bleating sound like a goat.

Wait.

Wait just a second.

The realization hits me like a tidal wave. Revelation and illumination finally dawning, shedding light on the darkness I had been living under for so many years. I finally get it. It finally all makes sense.

“I get that get that reference,” I comment with a giggle. “That's Fluttershy's goat-faint from that episode with the dragon.”

Haha! I finally got a pony reference!

Surprise hops back to her feet, her fur snapping back to normal as she reaches across the room and yanks me over to herself for a hug. “Welcome to the herd, Geneva! You're an official brony now!”

“Woohoo?” I reply sheepishly.

Party preparations continue full tilt with the occasional hijinks between myself and my friends. Dust grows more adept with that static electricity trick of hers, though Surprise eventually gets her back for the balloon by dropping some confetti on her. Care to guess what happens when you drop a bunch of colorful paper on an electrically charged magical horse? Dust spends the next half an hour try to figure out how to discharge herself so she can get all the confetti off.

It's shocking just how normal and right this all feels. Almost as if I had done this sort of thing with my pegasus friends countless times before.

Soundwave is under my hooves at all times. He rubs on my legs and makes his 'pet me' meow every time my attention turns elsewhere. I'm pretty sure he's still upset that I didn't come home to feed him last night, but my cat is wide enough that he can survive one evening without his food. I'm actually kind of surprised that he can even recognize me still. I was expecting that he would freak out since I look and smell completely different. And speaking of smell he has gained this weird habit of obsessively sniffing at everywhere I sit. Must be a cat thing.

Once we round up the decorations with another half an hour left before my other friends begin to arrive I decide to settle down on the couch for a while. Soundwave is quick to join me. “You know, I think we're going to have to find someone else to take care of you for a while,” I sigh. He responds by climbing onto my shoulder and sticking his butt in my face.

Some things never change.

“You think one of your human buddies can watch your pets?” Dust asks.

I give a slow nod. That's such a weird way to think about it. Human friends. How easily can friendship extend between species? Given that hippogriffs exist I guess it isn't that hard. But it's still a strange thought. I'm not human anymore. And try as I might it's difficult to focus on my lost humanity. I can't even say my old name anymore. It's like grasping at the wind.

Though... given my special talent grasping at the wind may be a thing I'm quite capable of. I should give that a shot some time when I don't have to worry about blowing out all my windows with a pressure wave. I remember what Twilight's 'oops' with her magic was like and while I'm dead certain I don't have the power level of the show's princess of magic caution is still wise. These aren't forces that should be taken lightly.

As if reading my heavy thoughts about the dangers of misusing arcane power Dust sticks another magically charged balloon to my fur.

“Hey. No spacing out, bird brain,” Dust says with a leer. “The apartment will be crawling with humans soon. Are you ready for this?”

I swat the balloon and send it spiraling away through the air. Soundwave hops off me and goes chasing after it. “Yeah. I think we're ready. Time to make a good inter-species first impression.”

My front door is propped open and plastered with a full sized poster drawn in crayon and featuring Surprise's smiling face. Below the grinning pegasus head big blocky letters declare that yes this is the location of the party and yes the reader should feel free to come inside. Music gently wafts through the door and out into the hall do draw in listeners. It's an up-beat, hopping tune but not nearly energetic enough to scare anyone away. The kitchen table has been supplemented with a few folding tables retrieved from Surprise's inexplicable supply to hold additional platters of sweets, snacks, dips, and punch.

And one bowl of rainbow-colored salsa. Not like oil on water sort of rainbow, either. But a smooth red to violet color gradient from one side of the bowl to the other.

It had taken some effort to make a rainbow and squeeze a few drops of its prismatic color into the extra-spicy salsa, but after sampling it myself I've got to admit the trouble was worth it. I can't help but snicker at the memory of Dust and I arguing over the best way to fashion the thing while Surprise was busy cracking 'taste the rainbow' jokes.

There will probably be more in the near future.

My pony friends and I are all hiding in my room and waiting for the guests to arrive. Soon enough my ears twitch at the sound of two of my friends walking into my apartment. Surprise begins to giggle and I shush her. Now she's making strangled snickering noises instead. That's better, but not by much.

“Haha, what's going on here?” speaks up the first, Julie. She's a year or two younger than me I think and she normally comes to the meetings with her younger brother Jeb.

“Sweet, ponies! I didn't know Lance liked ponies. What's with the theme?” Jeb laughs. The youngest of our group and a die-hard brony fan. If you get him started he'll talk your ear off. I usually tuned his equine ramblings out. “Wow this stuff smells amazing. I wonder if we can just dig in.”

There's a pause.

“Well...” Julie speaks up. “Sounds like it according to this note. 'Feel free to take all you can eat, soon we'll all get to meet. With games and songs and laughter that never ends, I'm sure we'll all make the bestest of friends,'” she reads. “And it's signed by someone named Surprise.”

Jeb mutters something back through a mouthful of snacks.

By this time Surprise is nearly vibrating with excitement and Dust has taken to sitting on her to keep her from escaping.

Another three come in. Man these new ears are sensitive! I swivel them to track the people walking around on the other side of the door.

“Don't worry Lewis,” speaks up another new voice. Guh. I can never remember that guy's name. It's really embarrassing. “I'm sure she'll show up.”

“You don't think she just blew me off?” Lewis asks uncertainly.

Dust elbows me in the ribs. “Ooooh, Geneva's got a coltfriend!”

I flush and glower back at the aqua pegasus. “I do not! Lewis is my friend. And he isn't even a pony.”

The conversation continues beyond the door.

“Are you talking about that weird cosplaying girl from Sunday?” Julie laughs. “She seemed kind of sketchy to me.”

“She wasn't sketchy, she was just..” Lewis trails off.

“Sketchy,” Liz pipes up from near the snack tables. She must be the third person who came in.

The conversation soon turns to Surprise's choice of decorations.

“So what's up with all the pony stuff?” guy-I-can't-remember-the-name-of comments casually. “Ponies are great and all, but it's kind of weird.”

“Who cares?” Jeb laughs. “This food is amazing. Look out for that rainbow salsa stuff, though. It kicks like a horse.”

“So when is everyone else getting here?” Liz asks. “And where's Lance lurking around at?”

“Silas, Tim, and Cassandra gave me a call earlier. Said they can't make it,” that one guy says. “So that means no official teacher tonight. I guess we could just wing it. Or stuff ourselves with cookies until we pass out like Jeb is doing.”

Hmmm... If the other three aren't going to be able to make it then that means everyone who's coming to our little get together is already here. Good. It should be easier to deal with five people instead of eight.

I give a nod to Dust. “Release the Surprise.”

Lightning Dust gives me a little wing salute and lets Surprise up. The white pegasus bounces to her hooves and trots right out into the main room. It's inexplicable the way no one seems to notice her. She just walks right past the whole group of humans clustered around the snack table, closes my front door, and then switches the music over to a rousing rendition of Equestria Girls.

“Welcome to Geneva's Meet the Ponies surprise party!” Surprise announces.

Everyone turns at once to find a pair of bright violet eyes and an absurdly cheerful grin turned up toward them. “Hiya! I'm Surprise! I'm glad you like all the snacks and treats I made!”

Reactions are mixed.

That-one-guy and Jeb look somewhere between shocked and hopeful.

Lewis is confused as hell.

Julie appears to be waiting for the punchline.

And Liz faints on the spot.

“Well nopony thank me all at once,” Surprise hrmphs.

Lewis kneels down to tend to Liz while Jeb and Guy step toward a creature that they had only previously imagined. “Are... are you real?” Jeb asks, reaching out cautiously as if Surprise might suddenly vanish if he moves too quickly. “Ponies are real?”

Surprise looks thoughtful at that question. She glances back at her wings and flexes them. Swishes her tail. Winks both of her eyes in turn several times. Sticks her tongue out and begins waggling her whole head around causing her tongue to flop about in an absurd fashion.

“Yep!” the pegasus concludes. “I'm pretty sure I'm real!”

“Ohmygod I knew it!” Jeb gushes before wrapping his arms around Surprise for a hug. She giggles and returns the gesture. “I knew Equestria was real! How did you get here?”

That's my cue.

“We're still trying to figure that out, actually,” I announce as I trot into the room with Dust.

Guy and Jeb instantly turn their attention toward the increasing pony population in the room. I can nearly hear the silent exclamations of 'there are more of them?' that must be playing through their heads.

“It's Lightning Dust! Holy crap it's Lightning Dust!” Guy finally loses it. “Dear God you're actually here aren't you? You're actually real! The Lightning Blitz Spiral is easily the most amazing stunt in the show!”

Dust casually brushes a hoof against her coat. “Yeah, I don't like to brag. But I am pretty awesome.”

I swear you could smother someone with Dust's ego.

Jeb's grin is stretching nearly as wide as my goofy pegasus friend's at this point. “This is totally amazing! We've got Surprise and Lightning Dust and... uuh... a hippogriff?”

Of course.

Of course no one knows who I am.

“I'm Geneva Pressure Front,” I state with a deadpan sigh. “I was at the service yesterday and Lewis invited me to my own apartment.”

“Wait, you're Geneva?” Julie asks incredulously. Seems she's one of the few humans to keep a level head about all this. Then her eyes narrow slightly. “What do you mean this is your apartment? This is Lance's apartment.”

Oops.

That was a bit blunter than I had been planning to announce this.

“Let me tell you a little story about birthdays and cutie marks,” I begin.

By the time I finish describing what my friends and I have been going through the past few days I'm met with wonder, confusion, trepidation, and more than a little bit of skepticism. Thankfully playing the 'answer questions only I would know' game is about as easy as one might expect. And of course we're asked to prove that we aren't actually demons pretending to be magical pastel colored talking animals. That one is just as easy to resolve. Thankfully the good book has a nice little test regarding exactly that.

The demon part. Not the pony part.

This all inevitably leads to some very important questions.

“So are the cutie pox contagious? What are the chances I might turn into my OC?” Jeb inquires as he reaches a finger toward Dust's flank. She spots the motion and snaps at his hand with her tail.

“Eyes only, kiddo. Keep your hands off,” the aqua pegasus reminds him.

“The only people who have caught whatever this is,” I gesture at myself with a wing. “Are all twenty five years old and share a birthday on the first. Even then I don't know if everyone who was born that day is at risk. Though I'm pretty sure anyone else is safe.”

There's some hint of disappointment in Jeb's eyes. Though everyone else looks relieved.

“We have no idea why this is happening! But it's still super duper fun!” Surprise laughs. Liz had finally woken up again and after plenty of assurances from the others she calmed down. Petting Surprise seems to be putting her at ease. Part of Surprise's talent? Or just the normal human tendency to feel peaceful when petting something? Maybe a bit of both? Regardless of the reason I'm glad she isn't completely flipping out.

“Alright, listen up,” Dust calls out to draw all eyes to herself. “We're going to make a film announcing ourselves to the world in style. And there are probably other ponies out there who might like to know they aren't alone. And to do that we're going to need footage of this party to show ponies and humans can get along. Oh, and don't bother trying to tell anyone about what happened before we do our announcement. Because no one will believe you. Got it?”

Five heads nod with varying levels of enthusiasm.

“Good. That means talk and party and stuff. Geneva will be filming it. So try to act natural,” Dust says as she struts past her human onlookers and starts munching on cupcakes.

It's a little awkward at first, but I suspect that Surprise's unique party-pony presence quickly begins to loosen everyone up until they're enjoying themselves. Including Liz. Surprise's ability to bring cheer to everyone around her is without a doubt put to the test and she's busy passing that exam with flying colors. The white pegasus is busy singing and joking and laughing and suggesting just the right snack at all the right times to keep a smile on everyone's face.

Guy and Jeb are crowding around Lightning Dust and eating up every word she utters about our flight earlier in the day. I really do need to make a point of asking That Guy about his name. Waiting for someone else to use it in conversation is starting to get really embarrassing.

Lewis shuffles over toward my perch on the couch. I've been a little stand offish compared to the others if only because I've busy filming the party. My pony friends are a complete unknown to my human friends. It's a blank slate for them. But me? They know me. Or knew me. Or whatever. And it makes things really awkward. Lewis gestures at the spot next to me and I flip my tail out of the way so he can sit down.

My long time friend takes a deep breath while he fiddles with his fingers, glancing at me out of the corner of his eye every now and again. I've known Lewis longer than Surprise or Dust. I... think. I mean, I met Surprise and Dust in school, right? But I met Lewis when I was even younger. For some reason my brain is nagging at me that I'm wrong there, but I can't think of any reason why that would be the case. Those thoughts get filed away for later analysis.

“So,” he finally says after several false starts. “What should I call you? Lance or Geneva?”

I work my beak open and closed for a few seconds trying to formulate a reply. I have a sinking realizing that even if I wanted to be called by my old name I can't even seem to bring myself to say it. “Geneva.”

“How's the griffin thing going for you, Geneva?”

“Hippogriff,” I correct. “As strange as it sounds I really like it. Being able to fly is incredible. There's absolutely nothing to compare that experience to.”

“Yeah, I think I can see that,” Lewis laughs. “Really though, are you okay with this?”

I take a deep breath and ruffle my feathers. “I'm okay with it. But I'm not sure if I should be. I'm thrilled with being Geneva. It feels like this is who and what I should have always been. It feels right. But I don't know if that's what I think or what this... whatever it is has done to my mind.”

Lewis looks a bit worried when I turn my intense avian gaze on him. “I could be losing myself, Lewis. I could be turning into someone completely different and I don't think I would even notice. I don't think I can notice,” I can feel hairs in my mane beginning to spring free. “How is someone supposed to tell if who they are has changed? What if my human memories are being eroded right now and replaced with new ones? Our memories are who we are, Lewis. And if-”

I give a little squawk when he pulls me into a hug. My wings fidget and I can feel my tail flipping around.

“You're thinking about this too hard, Geneva,” Lewis says after breaking the embrace. I can see that his face has flushed and there's some sort of smell that I can't place. “And you're still acting like the same over-analytical dork that you've always been. You're just a lot pointier than before. Watch those claws.”

Lewis rubs at his arm and I offer a sheepish grin.

“Sorry. And thanks. Having a human friend tell me that means quite a bit,” I admit. “I'm not sure how easy it would be for the people who have been ponified to notice unusual behavior.”

My friend ruffles my mane and it takes all of my self-discipline not to flail at his arm.

“So do you think people will react well? To the video, I mean?” Lewis asks.

I look back out at the party and see exactly what I had hoped for but was fearful to expect. Ponies and humans interacting casually and naturally. Humans and ponies enjoying each others company as if this were a totally normal thing as opposed to the complete impossibility that it was only a few days prior.

And so I answer with a nod. “Yeah. I think it's going to work out. Some people will be worried of course. But that's just humans for you. Your species has been trained by the media for generations to expect aliens to arrive on your doorstep eventually. It's just that no one expected that we would be this colorful. Or... planted here on earth. Somehow.”

Somehow!

“'Your species?' You don't think there's any way to change you back?” Lewis finally breaches the question that's been bothering me.

“After discovering that magic is apparently a thing I can answer your question with a very firm maybe,” I laugh. “If one of the princesses has been thrown to Earth to then we might have a shot at it. Assuming they can figure out how to use their magic again without turning everyone into a cactus.”

Lewis raises an eyebrow at me.

Ha ha! I just made a pony reference that someone else didn't get! And so at last the circle is complete.

“I doubt this can be fixed with human technology, though. Bioengineering on this level is... geeze. I don't even know how many years away. So aside from a pretty purple pony princess getting dumped on our front porch who can magic my problem away then no dice,” I say with a shrug of my wings. “Unless of course this transformation just up and reverses itself as inexplicably as it started.”

That's a distinct possibility too!

“Would you want to?” my friend inquires.

I quirk my head to the side and peer at him with one eye. “Want to what?”

“You know. Get changed back into a human,” he clarifies. “Back into Lance.”

Do I?

I can tell by the face Lewis is making that my beak-clicking is getting on his nerves. It's a good question, though. Would I want to be human again? Would I give up flight? Would I give up the ability to experience the symphony of the sky?

“I... don't know,” I admit. “I would have to think about it.”

Lewis pats me on the back reassuringly. “Well dude, no matter what you do I'll stand by you. If any crazy government types show up to ship you away to a lab somewhere they'll have to go through me first.”

“Heh. They would have to catch me first,” I retort with more than a little smugness in my tone. “I'm a Wonderbolt after all.”

“Are you really, though?” my friend asks curiously. “As in really really? Or do you just look like one of them?”

I reply with a sputtering noise that shouldn't even be possible with a beak. “You're asking a pretty serious existential question there, buddy. I'm not even going to touch that one until I know more about what's going on.”

The tone of the conversation lightens up from there as we shot the breeze about old times and more than a little fun was made at my expense when I admitted that I found myself attracted to pony stallions now. Lewis agrees to take care of my pets while I'm going through this transitional stage of my life and I start hunting around for my extra key card. By the time I find the silly thing (what it was doing in my sock drawer I can't guess) I discover Soundwave busy sniffing at where I had been seated on the couch.

Liz offers some insight about why my cat might find the smell so interesting, “Maybe you smell like another cat to him? You are part lion, right?”

The implications there are more than a little disturbing and more laughter is had at my expense. I try to be as good natured about it as I can.

Perhaps the most amusing part of the evening is the rainbow eating contest that Dust insists on everyone partaking in. The rules are simple of course. Eat as much rainbow salsa as you can without chugging a gallon of milk until your mouth doesn't feel like it's on fire anymore. The salsa tastes amazing despite how hot it is and the faces people make while trying to handle the spiciness are hilarious. The fact that their faces flash through the various colors of the rainbow certainly helps add to the cartoonish appeal of the silly game. Brian (That Guy's name!) ends up winning the contest hands down. Dust sulks over losing, but the promise of a rematch next time they meet lifts her spirits.

Really though, it is for the best. The happier the mood of the party the better off we are. Though over the whole celebration of pony/human friendship a dark shadow is cast by the continued absence of Silver Lining.

For whatever weird reason I can't shake the feeling that regardless of the mess Silver might get himself into he would emerge unscathed. Maybe that's one of those vague cartoon-Geneva memories wheedling around inside my brain. But I have to admit that I'm glad for it. I really do want my friend to be alright even if he's a bit of an ass sometimes.

Some hours later our attention is drawn away from the blindfolded chaos of Surprise's game of Pin the Tail on the Pony by the sound of screeching tires outside. I turn to the nearby window and pull the shades apart only to feel my blood turn to ice inside my veins.

That's Silver's car.

And it looks out of control.

And it just wrapped itself around a tree in my apartment complex' parking lot.

And a pony-shaped object was just hurled through the windshield.

In a flash I pull my window open, rip the mesh screen out of the way, and bail into the open evening air. I'm on the ground at Silver's side just as he rolls to a halt next to the curb. My mind is racing. He can't possibly be dead, can he? Please please please don't let him be dead. Not like this. He doesn't deserve to die like this.

I push the panic down and begin checking for injury. I don't see any obvious signs of gashes or broken bones on the grey pegasus. As a matter of fact, it doesn't look like he's even suffered any abrasions from skidding across the pavement. There's not so much as a drop of blood in his curly silver mane.

Lights are starting to turn on. Doors are opening and I can hear voices. My pressure sense is telling me that there are people moving around.

Gingerly I reach out with a hand and give Silver a shake. “Come on buddy, we need to get out of here.”

“Uuugh...” Silver moans, his breath ripe with the scent of alcohol. “I don't feel good mom. I don't want to go to flight school today.”

Silver begins to groggily sit upright, blinking his bright blue green eyes. Gradually he focuses on me and rubs his face with a hoof. “Geneva...?”

At least he's alive.

My ear twitches as the sound of a car door slamming shut draws my attention. Standing there no more than ten feet away is none other than Mrs McCullough with several plastic bags in her hands. As her eyes settle on me she forgets about her grip and gravity takes over, sending dozens of cans of wet cat food rolling across the parking lot.

“You,” she hisses at me, narrowing her eyes dangerously. “I knew it.”

Silver and I exchange a glance.

“Well buck,” the grey pegasus swears. “Things went straight to hell, didn't they?”