• Published 10th Nov 2013
  • 1,353 Views, 23 Comments

Fear from the Heart - Dragon Heart



Basically, another generic, and probably cliched, story about Fluttershy overcoming her Dracophobia, kind of. Plain and simple as that. Sue me. I dare ya, I triple-dog-dare ya mother f@#$%&! (An error has occurred, please try again whenever)

  • ...
5
 23
 1,353

Lending a Helping Hoof

Everyone was waiting at the Library for Twilight's and Fluttershy's return. Pinkie had a small bag of cocoa beans, Rarity held a spool of fine spider silk with her magic, Rainbow Dash had a large chunk of actual dry ice on her back, and Applejack had a small log of petrified wood on hers.

Rainbow Dash groaned from impatience. "What's taking them so long? This block of ice is starting to hurt my back and wings."

"Then just set it down, Rainbow." Applejack deadpanned.

Rainbow Dash just rolled her eyes and let the ice block slide off her right wing onto the floor.

"Hmm, I don't ever recall the last time I even used spider silk for any of my designs and outfits." Rarity said as she examined the spool of silk. "I'm almost having second thoughts about this. But I don't want to be rude. I just hope Twilight doesn't use too much of it."

"Whatever Twilight's making, if it uses cocoa beans, I hope its as chocolatey as chocolate cake!" Pinkie said, excited about the experiment.

The mares were clearly bored out of their minds, but the sound of a door opening perked them back to their focus. Twilight and Fluttershy had entered the library with a chunk of marble in hoof.

"Sorry we're late, girls, had a bit of a delay during our search." said Twilight.

"Well it's a darn good thang ya made it, Twi." said Applejack, who then looked at Rainbow Dash with a raised eyebrow. "Rainbow was gittin' a little on edge, agein."

"Whatever." said Rainbow Dash, "Daylight's burning. Let's do this."

"Alright." said Twilight, "Place the items on the large metal tray, please."

On the table in the center of the library was the experimentation zone, consisting of a plethora of glass tubes that swirled and curved like a roller coaster. A large tray waited for the items to be placed upon it. They all set the five items onto the tray and backed away.

"Okay, let's hope this works." Twilight closed her eyes, folded her ears down, and placed all focus upon the experiment. The items began to liquify and fuse into an unknown fluid that was sucked into the glass tubes. They rushed through them like blood in veins. They began to change and shift through multiple colors as they looped and swirled and spun in their network of glass. It was a rather mesmerizing sight to look at. So much, Fluttershy was developing a slight headache from just watching. Soon the liquid fused one final time before pouring into a flask.

It was done.

"Finished." Twilight said, clapping her hooves. She levitated the flask closer and inspected it, completely in the dark as to what this concoction does.

"So..." Rainbow Dash drawled, "what does it do?"

Twilight blinked and looked at the mares, who looked at her with curiosity on their minds.

"I'm not sure, yet." said Twilight. "I'll need a few days or so to figure out this potion's purpose."

Rainbow Dash facehoofed and groaned. She just wanted answers, but they were not coming.

"Don't fret, Rainbow." said Applejack, "Try ta be patient, fer once, and just let Twilight do her thang."

"Alright, fine." said Rainbow Dash.

"Alright, let us all be on our way, then." said Rarity. "You take care, Twilight."

"See ya around." said Rainbow Dash.

"Git 'er done, Twi." Applejack said as she tipped her hat.

"Bye bye, for now!" said Pinkie.

The four that said their farewells left the library, but Fluttershy was standing still. Twilight noticed this and approached the Pegasus.

"Fluttershy?" She tapped her shoulder. Fluttershy snapped out of it and looked at Twilight.

"What? What is it?" She asked.

"I was just checking to see if you were okay." said Twilight.

"Oh, I'm fine. I was just distracted by the experiment thing." Fluttershy said sheepishly.

"Well, you just head home and get some rest. It's been a long day." Twilight insisted.

"Oh, of course." Fluttershy giggled as she exited the library. "I'll see you tomorrow, maybe?"

"Maybe. Goodbye." Twilight waved her hoof.

"Bye." Fluttershy returned the gesture, and closed the door behind her, leaving Twilight with her studies.


It was late afternoon, about five o' clock to be exact. Fluttershy had just made it back to her home near the forest. She was still pondering, not about the potion, but the Dragon trapped in the pit. She felt there had to be something she could do. But judging from the look it gave her, it did not trust her. She would have to earn its trust somehow. Food could probably work. She will bring it something tasty to snack on. Course, it might take more than just a luscious morsel to win a Dragon's trust.

Something like a giant hammer mentally smashed her upside the head and her eyes grew wide with horrific remembrance. How could she had forgotten? She is afraid of Dragons. Dracophobia! How could she bring herself to confront such a beast if she runs or flies off scared for her life? No, she could do this. Like her friends always tell her, "be assertive". If she was going to help that Dragon, and win its trust, she will have to prepare herself for the confrontation.

She entered her house and was greeted by a horde of animals expecting to be fed.

"Okay, first feed animals, then search for the Dragon." She thought.

She got to work feeding and watering. Once again, her little white rabbit began to demand for a grande meal. Nothing Fluttershy could not handle.

Once everything around the house was taken care of, Fluttershy packed a saddlebag with fish, took a deep breath, and headed for the door. As she was about to exit, she felt something pull on her hind leg. She turned and looked down to see the rabbit pressing both paws around her leg with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh, don't worry Angel, I'll be back before dark." said Fluttershy. Angel released his grip, and Fluttershy closed the door. She definitely had to be back before dark, though. The Everfree is no place to be lollygagging during the night.

She trotted into the forest and had to find the carved path. Or if not, find another way. She could fly up and find the pit, but the saddlebag of fish really weighed her down. As she hurried along the beaten path, she walked through a creek. She looked down at her hooves and saw that they were red. She looked back at the creek and saw that there was a trail of blood going with the natural flow of the creek. Fluttershy became nervous from the bloody water, but when she remembered the Dragon's current state, she decided to follow the creek upwards in hopes of maybe finding an alternate route to the pit. Ten minutes later, sure enough, Fluttershy came to the moss covered rock wall of the pit. The creek flowed from a cave that was small enough for a full grown pony to fit through, and nothing bigger. She entered the cave, and it just so happened to be another hole in the wall.

When she entered the pit, nothing prepared her for what she saw next.

There was wreckage scattered all over the place. Weapons laid on the ground, and blood was on the walls and dirt. She did not know where it all came from, but she then remembered the hunters that were in town a long time ago. But the real question was, where is the Dragon? As she slowly walked further into dangerous territory, she kept having mental images of how the confrontation might go. Some were strange, others were bad. She heard a low growl coming from behind. Fluttershy slowly turned around to see the Dragon's head sticking out of the pond. She gasped and tried not to panic. The Dragon kept its right side facing her, but she noticed it was limping. When it turned its body directly towards her and growled, that was when she saw the spear stuck in his leg.

She brought her hoof to her mouth and nearly cried from both fear and sadness of seeing this beast in such a painful predicament. But she remembered she had a Dragon's trust to win.

"Uh, hello." Fluttershy said, timidly as ever. The Dragon kept giving her its mean look from before: lips curled, fangs bared, and furrowed its eyes. She reached into her left bag with her right hoof and pulled out a sockeye salmon. The Dragon stopped growling and ceased his mean look. It raised an eye at the pony's offering. It slowly approached and was going to eat, but then it started gagging harshly. Fluttershy flinched and took back the salmon. The Dragon continued to gag until he finally coughed up a bone. He spat it into the pond and returned his attention to Fluttershy.

"Oh, my..." Fluttershy was starting to get anxious. That bone the Dragon had just coughed up looked horrifyingly familiar. "Did that Dragon eat the hunters?" She thought. "No, he couldn't have." She slightly shook her head and tried to give the Dragon the fish again. The Dragon got closer, and closer, and closer. It was almost too close for comfort on Fluttershy's part. The Dragon sniffed the salmon. He reared his head back. Fluttershy thought he was going to shoot forward and try to take the fish right out of her hooves, but instead, the Dragon opened its mouth and shot out its tongue. The tongue impaled the fish, wrapped around it, and brought it back to the mouth. Fluttershy was startled by the sudden move, but did not run away. She had to hold her ground.

She then took off her saddlebag, opened both sacs, and presented the fish to the Dragon. "Here you go, big guy. Eat up." She said. The Dragon gave a leer that implied suspicion, and limped in to feast. Fluttershy brought her attention to the spear on its hind leg. Maybe if she pulled it out, she could gain a step in earning the Dragon's trust. With the Dragon preoccupied with eating, Fluttershy flew up and grabbed a hold of the spear. "Okay, I just... have to..." She pulled on it with what little might she had in her. Her action did not seem to catch the Dragon's attention, so at least she was in the clear, for now. She realized she needed something to push against while she was pulling. She then boldly pressed her back hooves on the Dragon's hip and continued to pull on the spear.

The Dragon was nearly finished eating, but with one final pull, the spear came out. The Dragon immediately pulled his head out of the bag and roared in pain. Fluttershy dropped the spear and fell to the ground. The Dragon turned and looked at the bloody spear, then at Fluttershy, who was getting up to get her saddlebag. The Dragon swiftly pinned her beneath his talons and stared fiercely into her eyes with pain-induced anger. Fluttershy was absolutely terrified, pinned under a foot and at the mercy of an enraged Dragon. The Dragon kept staring at her with pure anger. Fluttershy was on the verge of tears, about ready to scream for help, even though her cries would fall on deaf ears. The Dragon reared its head back and opened its mouth. Fluttershy thought this would be the end. But instead, the Dragon roared at her, saliva spraying on her face and in her hair. He then released his grip and swiftly limped off towards the other side of the pit. Fluttershy's heart throbbed with fear and she was just trying to catch her breath. She donned her saddlebag and tried to head back home.

She walked completely fine, but she still had a look of sheer terror on her face. It was nine o' clock in the afternoon when she made it back home, thankfully before dark. She opened the door, entered, closed the door, locked it, and then proceeded to collapse onto the floor.

Author's Note:

It's called delayed reaction. Like when you see something scary, but you don't immediately shriek in horror. Some time later, somewhere different...

EEEEEK!!!!