• Published 10th Nov 2013
  • 1,354 Views, 23 Comments

Fear from the Heart - Dragon Heart



Basically, another generic, and probably cliched, story about Fluttershy overcoming her Dracophobia, kind of. Plain and simple as that. Sue me. I dare ya, I triple-dog-dare ya mother f@#$%&! (An error has occurred, please try again whenever)

  • ...
5
 23
 1,354

Island of Cold Blood

Hammerheart and the gang were led to a large wall made out of wood with sharpened tips. Two Bison Guards stood in front of an interlocking gate also made of sharpened wood. The Bison that led them to the village approached the Guards.

"We brought with us the chosen one and his acquaintances." One of the Bison said. "Let us welcome them in."

The Guards nodded and stepped aside, and the gate began to slide open. Hammerheart and his cohorts walked in, and found tents and more Bison inside. There were bulls who were training for fights, cows who were making traditional attire of cloth and feathers, and calves running around playing with each other. As the mares gazed at the village in awe, Hammerheart's attention was had by one of the warriors.

"Our Leader, Chief Stone Horn, would like to meet you all."

Hammerheart gave a whistle-like screech that caught the mares' attention, and they regrouped and followed them to a tent much bigger than all the others. In front of the entrance sat a large, albino Bison with a feathered bonnet on his head.

"Chief Stone Horn, I presume?" said Hammerheart.

The Chief nodded slowly. "Yes, young Dragon." He said, his voice showing his elder age. "It is an honor to meet the one who will save us from the fallen Dragon God, and oblivion."

Hammerheart sat on his tail base, and the mares all settled around the bonfire burning before them. The Chief cleared his throat before beginning to tell the tales of his ancestors.

"For millennia, we Bison of the Thunderblood Tribe have always believed Dragons to be the creators of the world, and all things upon it. So long as they held the seeds of life, have we shown great respect towards them and their descending ilk, such as you, Hammerheart."

Hammerheart grinned and chuckled. "You all hear that? I'm like an idol to 'em all."

"Don't let this knowledge turn into vaunted pride, young Dragon." Stone Horn chided. "That pathway leads to ruination." He cleared his throat once more before continuing. "Even we were ignorant to the time of Pyrkagias' downfall from praiseworthy glory. To learn of his return and his plans for all of us is simply too horrific to bear."

"We will stop this... Perkogius guy." said Twilight. "We're the only ones, right?"

"Yes, but the bow relies on the arrow just as the arrow relies on the bow." said Stone Horn. "You all must work as one, or failure will be your demise." He looked to Hammerheart. "You must obtain the power of the Dragon Gods, which reside in an ancient realm called Saurosmo. The way to the realm of the Dragon Gods is on an island that drifts, called Ynys Gwaed Oer by your kind. Trying to find it by yourself would be impossible."

"So how do we find the island?" Hammerheart asked.

Stone Horn clapped his hooves, and a cow brought an aquamarine stone to him on a pillow. "This stone has been blessed with water from the floating island it was found on. Touch it, and it shall guide you in your journey."

Hammerheart stood up on and carefully grabbed the aquamarine, which began to shine a brilliant blue, gradually growing brighter by the second. Hammerheart cocked his head back, while everyone else except Stone Horn averted their eyes from the bright light. After several moments worth of blinding light, it finally dimmed down enough for everyone to unshield their eyes.

"It has connected with your heart, young Dragon." The bison chief announced. "Now, let it show you the way to salvation."

Hammerheart tossed the stone into the air and caught it with his hand. "Thanks fer the help, old bull."

Twilight gave a look of disbelief from Hammerheart's rudeness. "Sorry, mister Stone Horn, for his little smart-aleck moment there." She said, glaring daggers at the Wyvern.

Stone Horn chuckled and waved a hoof. "Hammerheart has got a lot to learn." He said. "We must all be patient."

"Well, now that we have a way to find the island, let's go look for it now!" said Rainbow Dash.

"Right away." Rarity added.

The gang got up off their flanks and headed for the exit. Hammerheart stopped and turned to look at the Chief. "Oh, and Stony?"

Stone Horn looked at Hammerheart. "Yes, young Dragon?"

Hammerheart pointed a wing finger to the Bison that led them to the village. "Tell yer boys not to greet us by throwin' rocks at us next time." With that said, Hammerheart headed for the exit.

Stone Horn raised an eyebrow in confusion before looking to the warriors. "My kin, is that true?" He asked.

The Bison looked as confused as the Chief did. "Uh, we never did such a thing. Honest." One said.

"But we did hear some kind of horn bellowing from afar." Another said.

Stone Horn brought a hoof to his chin. "If my warriors did not do it..." A realization came to him, and he slightly jerked up. "Then the enemy is not far behind. This could be disastrous!"


Hammerheart held the glowing aquamarine stone in his hand, which shined a light in the supposed direction of the island they were searching for. The mares followed behind.

"So, what kind of island is this Yinis Gwaid Ower place like?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Hammerheart shrugged, "Ya got me."

"And what does that name mean?" said Twilight. "It sounds so very foreign."

"Ynys Gwaed Oer means 'Island of Cold Blood' in the Dragons' tongue." said Hammerheart.

The mares cocked their heads back and gave disturbed looks. "Why do they call it that?" Fluttershy asked.

"I'm guessing it has ta do wit the fact that it's always moving about." said Hammerheart. "Plus, no one can ever find the bloody place without somethin' like this'ere stone. In other words, it's like a snake trying to find a frog covered in mud. You can't see its heat, ya don't know where it is."

What Hammerheart said slowly made sense to them all. Without the help of the stone, it would be like trying to find a lizard with infrared vision in the dark, you would not be able to see any body heat, thus it is practically invisible.

"So, we just keep walking until we find an ocean, then we search by air, right?" said Rainbow Dash.

"That just about sums it up, aye." said Hammerheart.

The trek continued for nearly a whole hour. A rather salty scent came to Hammerheart's nostrils. He kept sniffing to make sure his senses were not playing tricks on him. The others stopped when they saw him smell the air.

"Now what do ya smell, big guy?" Applejack asked.

Hammerheart took in a deep breath through his nose. "Sea water. We're gittin' close."

They started to pick up the pace and ran towards the direction the stone still pointed. Hammerheart looked off into the distance, and saw very large holes in the ground, peaking his suspicion. Barely shifting his gaze, he spotted another one, and another, and another. He came to a screeching halt, and the others stopped as well.

"Now what?" said Rarity.

Hammerheart scanned the perimeter. "We be in Gaian Wyrm territory."

Everyone raised an eyebrow in confusion. "What's a Gaian Wyrm?" Pinkie asked.

"It's a very big Earth Dragon that burrows through the ground." Hammerheart explained. "Look at all these holes and you'll know what I mean." The mares looked around, and gasped in fear of the huge holes that littered the terrain. "These Dragons are rarely social, even towards other Dragons like meself." Hammerheart continued. "They can sense vibrations through the soil, and if they feel somethin' prancin' about above 'em, they'll come up and try ta make a meal outta them."

"So in other words, we need to move as carefully as we can." said Twilight, trying to suppress her wrecked nerves.

"One other thing." The mares looked to Hammerheart, "Gaian Wyrms live and hunt in packs."

Fluttershy, who was already stricken with fear from the dangerous situation, felt something like a pane of glass shatter. "P-p-p-p-packs?" She stuttered.

Hammerheart nodded. "Packs. Big Packs. Lots. Oodles and oodles."

Now everyone was shaking in their skin, save for Hammerheart, who was acting as stern as he could. Suddenly, flashing images popped in his head. Hammerheart flinched from the sudden phenomena, quickly shaking his head and putting two fingers to his forehead.

"Hammerheart, w-what's wrong?" Fluttershy asked.

Hammerheart felt like he snapped out of a trance, and looked down at the concerned Pegasus. "Nothin'. Just stick close." Learning from what he saw in the visions of the past, Hammerheart knew that stealth and swiftness were important in this situation.

"Hammerheart, couldn't you just fly us over to the ocean?" said Twilight.

"I would if I could," said Hammerheart, "but me spine's still aching from that big hunk o' rock that nailed me back. Just be light on yer legs, and follow my lead."

Hammerheart walked as lightly and quickly as he could, gently placing his steps down carefully in somewhat fast succession. The others tried copying what he was doing, tip-hooving behind him. Every now and then, the mares would look at each and every hole around them, expecting something to come out and attack them, but nothing happened yet. The suspense was getting to some of them.

Hammerheart kept moving. The smell of salt water slowly got stronger as they went deeper through. More images began flashing through his head, and he stopped. He could have sworn he saw what looked like the body of a Wyvern lying dead at the feet of another, but it was too vague for him to make it out fully.

"Hammerheart, what's holdin' ya?" Rainbow Dash whispered loudly.

Hammerheart blinked and looked up to see they had gotten a few steps ahead. He sighed and moved on.

Suddenly, the ground started to feel like it was vibrating. Everyone stopped dead in their tracks. The muffled sound of a growl struck the mares' nerves. The vibrating grew into a tremor. Behind Hammerheart, the ground began to crack, and a hill formed. From the hill, a Gaian Wyrm burst out the ground and gave a screeching roar that pierced the mares' ears. They folded their ears down and covered them. Hammerheart's ears also hurt from the loud roar, though his stubborn pride kept him from reacting.

The Wyrm looked down at the gang. Its pitch black eyes focused on each and every one of them. Its maw was partially open, and saliva drooled out near Hammerheart's feet.

"Back away slowly." Hammerheart whispered.

The mares looked at him, then back at the Wyrm, slowly backing away from the beast. Hammerheart also backed away, and tried to do something that probably would not work.

"Now listen, lad, we don't want any trouble. We're just passin' through to find a-" The Wyrm swung one of its wide arms at Hammerheart, nearly landing a blow, but Hammerheart jumped back and it missed. Now the Wyvern was angry. "Fine! Ya wanna play 'bloody claws', then I'll play 'burn yer hide'!" Hammerheart took in a deep breath and unleashed a blast of fire that burned around the Wyrm's chest. The beast wailed in pain, and slammed itself on the ground to douse the flames, shaking the terrain. Then, more Gaian Wyrms surfaced and roared.

The mares screamed. Their cover had been blown.

"Time ta leg it!" Hammerheart shouted.

Everyone turned and headed towards the direction of the ocean. Hammerheart tossed the stone in his mouth and followed after. The smell of sea water came to the mares, and they knew now where to go. Hammerheart caught up to them as they ran from the Wyrms, who were crawling on their bellies after them. The ocean eventually came into view, but they had to get airborne to get anywhere else.

Hammerheart quickly snatched up Twilight, Rarity, and Fluttershy, and threw them on his back. Ignoring the pain in his spine, Hammerheart flapped his wings, grabbed Applejack and Pinkie, and flew over the ocean. When they were a fair distance from the shore, they looked back to see the Gaian Wyrms stop at the water's edge.

Twilight sighed a breath of relief and wiped some sweat from her forehead. "Good thing they're only Earth Dragons and not Water Dragons."

"Yes, very much so." said Rarity.

As the Unicorns talked to themselves, Fluttershy scooted up to Hammerheart's neck. She noticed the injury on his back was starting to twitch. "Hammerheart?" Hammerheart looked back at her. "Are you gonna be okay?"

Hammerheart chuckled. "I'll be fine. You seem to underestimate me tolerance for pain." He opened his mouth. The stone was held in his tongue and still shined him in the direction of the island. He followed the light.


It took nearly a full hour, but soon Ynys Gwaed Oer was found. It was a fairly large island that had a thick ring of jungle around an inactive volcano. If anyone was to make an estimated guess, the way to Saurosmo was in there.

Hammerheart descended down to the island. He got close to the ground, but flapped his wing to keep himself from crushing the two Ponies in his grasp. He released his grip on Applejack and Pinkie, then finally touched down. Twilight, Rarity, and Fluttershy hopped off. And Rainbow Dash landed with them.

"We're finally here!" said Pinkie, bouncing with joy.

Everyone looked at the jungle. They could see many different types of tropical birds and mammals moving about in the trees. It was pretty on the outside, but what was inside was going to be discovered shortly.

"This place looks beautiful." said Fluttershy.

Hammerheart grunted and dropped to his knees. Everyone turned and came to his side.

"Are you okay there, buddy?" Applejack asked.

Fluttershy flew up to check on his injury. The spot appeared to have grown in size, likely spreading the pain further. "I don't like the looks of this." She thought.

Hammerheart got to his feet. "I'm fine. I don't need ta be babied like this." He said. "You all worry about yer own hide."

They all started heading for the volcano, but a screeching roar made them stop. The sound was all too familiar. They looked out to the ocean, and could see serpentine shapes swimming towards the island, getting closer and closer. They collided into the island, causing it to shake and make Hammerheart and the others lose their balance. Then, a large Dragon bursted from the ground and roared. It was blue with a finned frill around its head, and webbed fingers. Its snout was pointed like a spear, and its eyes were pitch black. But then its blue coloration turned into a more tan and brown color. The frill shrunk away, as well as the webbing between its fingers. It was the Gaian Wyrm from earlier.

The mares were wide eyed and terrified. "Impossible! It's a Sea Dragon, too?!" Twilight said in disbelief.

"Head fer the volcano!" Hammerheart said.

The mares looked at Hammerheart with dropped jaws. "No! You'll be killed!" said Fluttershy.

Hammerheart turned around, breathed in, and blew a blast of flames that formed a wall of fire near them. The mares gasped from the intimidating flames that blocked them. They looked at Hammerheart.

"I SAID GO!!!" He roared.

The girls turned and headed for the volcano. Fluttershy stopped at the edge of the jungle and looked back at Hammerheart, who took a stance against the Gaian Wyrm pack. Rainbow Dash came up to her from behind.

"Come on, let's go!" She said, pulling Fluttershy away from the battle. Fluttershy turned and ran with the others. Tears leaked from her eyes as the new memory of Hammerheart forcing them to run away with deadly means replayed. It scared her, the way Dracophobia always had.

"Hammerheart..." She thought, "Please, don't die. You're the only one who can save us..."


Hammerheart took on a battle stance as he faced off against a pack of Wyrms. He was on all fours. He gritted his fangs. He swung his tail and slammed his hammer on the ground. The Wyrms stared him down, their black eyes began to slowly turn blood red. Hammerheart could feel the nerves in his limbs shaking, and he did not like it.

The biggest of the Wyrms rose up and struck first, but Hammerheart jumped back, and the Wyrm smashed into the ground. Hammerheart knew his only advantage was to fly over the pack, but his back was still in pain. Another Wyrm attacked by swiping its claws, and hit Hammerheart, sending him sliding. When he came to a stop, Hammerheart rolled back onto his feet and shook his head.

"Oh, now yer askin' for it!" He yelled. He flapped his wing and took into the sky. The pain in his back grew intense from the flight, but Hammerheart put death before dishonor. He flew up to a Wyrm and blasted fire right into its face. The Wyrm roared in pain before planting its head into the soil and putting out the flames that threatened to burn its face off.

Hammerheart then flew up to another Wyrm and gave it a good hit upside the head with his hammer tail, leaving the Wyrm disorientated, but with a shake of its head, it regained its senses and roared in anger, hurling itself at Hammerheart, trying to catch him and drag him to the ground, but the young Wyvern was too fast for the beast.

Hammerheart stop and examined the situation. There were about a dozen Gaian Wyrms, all dead set on making him their prey, and he needed to kill them off before the exhaustion from battle brought him to the ground.

One of the Wyrms took a bite out off the ground, held the dirt in its mouth, and spat a huge ball of mud at Hammerheart. The Wyvern dropped to avoid getting hit, but that gave another Wyrm a chance to bite on one of his legs.

Suddenly, time seemed to have slowed down, and more horrific images of a murder flashed in Hammerheart's mind. He gasped when he realized what the images were. They were memories from his past, but the present returned to him as he was slammed on the ground. Hammerheart was not about to become something's food before he could finish what he started. He turned his head and blasted another fireball into the Wyrm's face, making it release its grip on his right leg, rear up, and roar in pain.

Hammerheart's lower leg was nearly crushed by the powerful bite of the Wyrm, but his bones were able to withstand the bite force. Standing on one leg, Hammerheart flapped his wings and took to the skies again. One of the Wyrms tried to catch him in its jaws, but missed by a mere foot. Hammerheart spun around and shot a fireball right into his assailant's face. The Wyrm quick plunged it head into the ground and extinguished the flames.

The battle was getting nowhere, and Hammerheart was running out of time. "These blasted dirt munchers just don't know when to quit!" He shouted in frustration. "How in the bloody world do I end this fight?!"

"By bringing down their leader!" A familiar voice said in Hammerheart's mind. Hammerheart looked towards the sea. Though it was small, he could see something approaching the island. It jumped out of the water and high into the sky.

It was Zaurus.

The Gaian Wyrms turned their attentions to the Knucker. Zaurus swung his mystic spike across the throat of the larger Wyrm, and blood sprayed from its neck. The large Wyrm held its hand on its wound to try and suppress the bleeding, but to no avail The lesser Wyrms became discouraged by their leader's grievous wound, and they all scurried into the ocean, quickly changing into their water forms before swimming away. The bigger Wyrm followed after them, leaving a trail of blood in the water as it swam off.

Zaurus landed on the ground and struck a stoic pose that made his spike shine in the sun. Hammerheart descended towards the Knucker and landed in front of him.

"Zaurus? What are you doing here?" Hammerheart asked.

"I will explain later." Zaurus examined Hammerheart's body, and saw how injured he was. His leg was bleeding from the Wyrm's bite. His side had some gashes from the Wyrm's claws. And the spot on his back had grown in size from the strain of pushing himself. "You're very badly damaged from your battle. I shall tend to your wounds."

Hammerheart held his wing up wide, making a stopping gesture. "I don't need yer help, Shaman." He said. "I'll be fine."

Zaurus grabbed the wing and brought it down. "I was not asking, I'm doing. But we cannot do it here. The chances of another Gaian Wyrm pack attack happening are evened out here. We shall head to the volcano, I will heal you there."

Hammerheart did not want Zaurus to worry about him and waste time curing him, but knowing that Knucker, there was no sense in arguing with him. "Fine. Let's git goin'." He huffed. Zaurus nodded, then grabbed Hammerheart's right wing, placed it over his shoulder, and carried him towards the volcano.

"So, tell me, how did you make the whole pack run away with their tails between their legs with one strike?" Hammerheart asked.

"Gaian Wyrms are pack hunters, Hammerheart, thus they all act under an Alpha Leader." Zaurus explained. "Should that Leader be severely wounded or slain, the pack's morale will diminish, and they will flee. Without proper guidance from a Leader, they are directionless."

Hammerheart sighed. "Now I feel like a dumb drake for not knowin' that sooner than later."

"The saying goes, 'You must know your enemy to defeat them'." said Zaurus. "You know much about the great enemy you face, but not others. Learn their strengths and weaknesses before or in battle, and you can use it against them."

Hammerheart chuckled. "I'll see what I can do, next time."

As Zaurus carried Hammerheart to the volcano, the Wyvern was still baffled by what had happened. He and the others did not do anything that could have riled up the Gaian Wyrms back in the wasteland. Something else must have disturbed them from their slumber, but what?


The mares had managed to get to the inactive volcano, and even found a way inside. There they found what looked like an ancient portal with a frame made of bedrock and obsidian. They sat and waited for Hammerheart's return. That is, if he was going to return.

Twilight sat on her belly and was reading a book she had brought with her, Applejack and Pinkie were playing games on the walls, Rainbow Dash was laying on top of the portal frame resting from a long flight while Rarity paced back and forth, patiently waiting for Hammerheart, and Fluttershy looked up at the hole in the top.

"Do you think he won?" Fluttershy asked. "Do you think he survived the fight?"

Twilight put the book down and sighed. "I really don't know, Fluttershy." She said. "One against a dozen, those are really bad odds."

"Oh, come on, Fluttershy!" Rainbow Dash said, rolling off the portal frame and flapping her wings. "You and I both saw him beat the tar out of a pack of timber wolves! Plus he said he was on the run from other Dragons, so I'm pretty sure he's fought other Dragons before!"

Everyone gasped as they remembered Hammerheart's situation with himself and his own kind.

"That's right, he's being hunted by other Dragons!" said Twilight. "We're no longer in Equestria, so they'll most likely follow him here!"

"But wait!" Rarity interjected, "They can't find him here on this island because, if I remember correctly, this island's always on the move, is it not? So they would just be flying around and might never find this place."

"You're right!" said Pinkie.

"But wait!" said Applejack, "Doesn't the big guy have a real sharp nose? Meanin' the Dragons huntin' him down will sniff him out and eventually find him here?"

"You're right." said Pinkie.

"Is anyone down there?" A voice called. The mares looked up to see two familiar faces. Zaurus and Hammerheart standing near the edge of a drop-off. "I have Hammerheart with me."

"That's wonderful!" said Fluttershy, happy that Hammerheart is still alive.

Zaurus nudged on Hammerheart's chest with his shoulder. "Alright, my friend, we need to be careful on the way down."

"Right..." Hammerheart said. He was feeling very exhausted from his battle. They edged closer to the edge.

"Ready?" said Zaurus, "One, two, three." They both stepped off and slid down the steep wall, causing dirt to fall with them. They reached the bottom, and Zaurus let Hammerheart off his shoulder. The Wyvern dropped to his knees and fell down flat.

"Hammerheart!" The mares called. They rushed up to their fallen friend, concerned for him.

"Please, stand back." said Zaurus. The mares looked at him.

"What are you gonna do?" Fluttershy asked.

"Tend to his injuries." said Zaurus. "It'll take some time, so please be patient."

Rainbow Dash groaned while everyone else stepped back like Zaurus said. The Knucker Shaman lifted his spike up. The tip broke into twelve pieces, forming a hand, and placed it on Hammerheart's back. He breathed in his nose, and out his mouth. Then, a surge of energy began to flow into Hammerheart's body, making the Wyvern grunt and grow tense.

"You truly are a strange one, friend Hammerheart." Zaurus thought. "I have seen you take several beatings from foes just as strong, if not stronger, than those Wyrms. You have endured so much pain over the years you were declared a renegade by your race, yet you still thrived on in hopes of redeeming yourself. Yet, there is something else within you that troubles your very heart. What it is, I know not. But in order for you to save the world, you must not only defeat Pyrkagias, but another enemy you know better than anyone else;"

"Yourself."

The surge of healing energy slowly faded, and all of Hammerheart's wounds were miraculously cured. His leg no longer bore deep bite marks. The gashes on his side were sealed shut. And the spot on his back had disappeared as well.

Hammerheart stood back up on his feet and stretched himself out until his bones popped and cracked. He solemnly examined himself from shoulders to tail, and sighed through his nostrils.

He looked at Zaurus. "Thanks fer the patch up, mate." He said.

Zaurus chuckled. "Helping a friend is worth the time, but there is little time for courtesies."

Applejack stepped up. "Uh, how'd ya find us?" She asked.

"Yeah, did you sniff your way here?" asked Twilight.

"Actually, I used a stone given to me by the Thunderblood Tribe." Zaurus said as he presented a glowing Aquamarine for them to see.

Hammerheart dropped his jaw. "Wait, if you had a stone yerself, why didn't ya give yers to me, save us the trouble?"

"Because it wouldn't work with you." said Zaurus. "When someone touches a fresh stone, their spirit links with its power. If I gave it to you, it would be just a plain stone that would not shine you the way." Zaurus tossed the glowing Aquamarine to Rarity, who caught it with her magic. The stone's light died out, thus proving Zaurus' point. Rarity smiled greatly at the Aquamarine, but tried to contain her excitement.

"I see." said Hammerheart. He looked at the stone he held in his hand. "Then I guess there's no point in holdin' on ta this anymore." Hammerheart tightened his grip on the stone until it crumbled in his hand. Rarity dropped her jaw and gave a gasp of disbelief.

Hammerheart looked back at Zaurus. "So, this is it?"

Zaurus nodded. "The way to Saurosmo." He said. "You have made it this far, but there are creatures within that will not hesitate to make prey out of you."

"So what am I looking for?" said Hammerheart.

"The power of the Duwiau Ddraig rest within eight monstrous predators." Zaurus explained. "The power of Pagos can be found upon the highest mountain, where the cold is nearly unsurvivable. The power of Thalassia can be found in the great ocean that houses many mortal perils, while the power of Keravnon can be found among a vast plain, where thunder and lightning clash endlessly. The power of Geiosi can be found within the tropical jungles that are home to many harmless and dangerous inhabitants. The power of Anemou can be found drifting with the furious winds. The power of Elafry can be found in the harsh deserts, with scorching heat of unimaginable temperatures. The power of Skoura can be found within the darkest caves that bear creatures of nightmares." Zaurus closed his eyes and looked down. "And the power of Pyrkagias himself, you will have to find on your own, friend Hammerheart."

Hammerheart nodded. "Right, then." He looked to the mares. "Let's git goin'."

"Right!" They all said. They all headed for the portal and went into the swirling opening.

Hammerheart was about to follow them in, but stopped and turn to see Zaurus standing still.

"Aren't you comin', too?" Hammerheart asked.

Zaurus shook his head. "I'm afraid I cannot interfere with your quest." He said.

"WHAT?" Hammerheart yelled, "But you know where to find these beasts, plus if I git banged up again, I'll need you ta be stubborn and patch me up."

"Listen, there are just some things you must learn on your own without the help of those with the knowledge to answer your questions." said Zaurus. "I would only get in your way." Zaurus then leaped on top of the portal frame and sat down. Hammerheart backed up to see what he was doing. "I shall remain here and guard the portal to Saurosmo. If it were to be destroyed, you will all be forever trapped, and our world will burn at the touch of Pyrkagias."

Hammerheart did not like leaving Zaurus behind, but any argument he could think up would be countered by Zaurus. In the end, he had no choice but to agree. "Alright. See you when we git back."

Zaurus nodded. "Fare thee well."

Hammerheart stepped through the portal. Static electricity tingled against his skin as he entered. As he emerged on the other side of the portal, he found himself within the confines a cave.

"Hammerheart, there you are." said Fluttershy's voice. Hammerheart looked up to see the others.

"What, were ya waitin' for me?" He scoffed.

"What took you so long?" said Rainbow Dash.

"It's nothin', let's just go." Hammerheart said as he walked past them. They followed behind him. They all headed towards a light, which was the cave entrance. When they exited, they were greeted by a vast forest that seemed to stretch for miles.

"Woah!" Rainbow Dash breathed.

"Well I'll be a crazy bull hyped up on mushrooms." Applejack said in awe.

"Either I'm dreaming, or I drank too much soda pop again." Pinkie said, holding a bottle of root beer.

Long-necked dinosaurs suddenly stuck their heads out of the treetops, feasting on vegetation.

"Wow, I've never seen real dinosaurs before." said Fluttershy.

"Of course you haven't, Fluttershy." said Twilight. "They're supposed to be extinct, but here they are, living and breathing." She leered her eyes as she examine the dinosaurs from a distance. "I think those are brachiosaurs. One of the biggest herbivores ever to walk the earth."

"Save the smart talk for when it's important, lass." said Hammerheart. "We've got beasts ta hunt."

Twilight rubbed the back of her head. "Uh, right."

Having arrived, the party began their search. Eight predatory beasts held the powers of the Dragon Gods, and if Hammerheart was to obtain them, he would have to slay these creatures, no matter what.

Author's Note:

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody do the dinosaur!