• Published 19th Jul 2013
  • 502 Views, 1 Comments

Herbs, Roots, and Berries. - Phoenix Quill



The short story about a pony, and his struggle with an addiction as told through his journal.

  • ...
 1
 502

How it ends.

Canterlot Express
6/19/13
10:34 PM, CST

Magdalena looked out the window of the train and watched as another cloud moved across the moon, and blinked numbly. Next to her sat a simple red bound journal, a toothbrush, a pen, and a rolled up news paper. She picked up the journal and began to read through the last few pages again and shook her head. "How did I not see it?"

Across the aisle from her sat a grey unicorn, he was mumbling something to himself as he stared at the rocky cliff face outside his window. "Mind Matters," she addressed him carefully. "Do you think he'll be alright?"

He continued to stare blankly out the window, unblinking, and not really seeing anything. Finally, after several minutes he responded. "I'm not that kind of doctor." With that said, as if it were the end of it, he went back to sitting like a statue.

Magdalena frowned at the unicorn for a second before turning back to the window. High above the train, but still visible to her, a small, fast moving airship made it's way to Canterlot. She watched carefully as it soared steadily through the air, Flashing blue and red lights to indicate it's precious cargo.

The train hit a sudden curve in the track and slowed down slightly as the zeppelin slid out of sight from the mare's glass. Magdalena panicked slightly, as if everything depended on her being able to keep a line of sight on the ship. After a moment, the track curved again, and she calmed down once the view shifted to let the ship slip back into view.

She watched as it moved ahead towards Canterlot, much faster than the train, and felt a strain in her heart. Finally she turned back to Mind Matters, only to see him still watching the rocks flying past his own window. "How soon do you think that the ambulance ship can get him there?"

"It shouldn't take more than five minutes from now," he replied, still looking out the window. "They'll keep Burnt Oak stable until then."

"But what about his organs? Do you really think that the Canterlot doctors can repair them?"

Mind Matters stayed silent for a few moments after the question was asked. Finally, after nearly a full minute he gave off a heavy sigh. "His organs might be beyond any saving at this point. I don't know too much about medical magic, but from what I understand, they might be able to do enough to save his life," he paused again as the train entered a short tunnel, and waited for the train to exit the echoing chamber before continuing. "The real problem is his mind. Complete organ failure from hemlock overdose might have left his brain without enough oxygen to sustain itself. He might never come out of his coma."

"Oh." It wasn't much of a reply, but that was all she could think to say at the moment. She looked back out the window and saw the airship was nearly at Canterlot and she felt a pang of guilt strike her. "Do you, do you think it's my fault?"

Mind Matters finally turned away from the window at the question and looked her over with his dark purple eyes. "What did you say?"

Magdalena looked down at the floor of the train car suddenly and began tapping her forehooves together. "I was just thinking, maybe if I didn't work so much, and took the time out to see him, he wouldn't have..."

"Wouldn't have what? Collapsed back into his addiction? Wouldn't have fallen back into the only thing that was a constant in his life since the death of his parents?" He looked at her with an intent glare in his eyes, and a frown etched across his muzzle. "No, it isn't your fault. Even if you were there every step of the way for the rest of his life, he would have fallen back into it eventually."

Magdalena began to sob slightly as she continued to nervously tap her hooves together. "But, I should have been there!"

"That's enough of that!" She suddenly stopped, and noticed the tears sliding passed her cheeks. She quickly wiped them away with a hoof as she looked at the unicorn staring intently at her. "This is not your fault! He did this to himself, and he's lucky that you found him at all! If you did not, he probably would have died on the edge of that forest! Now, give yourself some credit, you did all that you can, it's up to the experts now."

She nodded as she choked back another sob, and began to look out the window again. The train was moving as quickly as it could up the mountain, and wouldn't be stopping until they got there. "I think, I think I need to be alone for a moment."

Mind Matters turned back to the window to stare at the moving cliff face. "There's a small washroom at the rear of the car. Use it to clean yourself up a bit. If Burnt Oak is awake, you want to look your best."

She nodded and stood from her seat. "Do you think he will be?"

Mind Matters thought it over for a few moments before giving a faint hint of a smile. "Anything is possible."

She blinked slightly at him and felt a twinge of hope enter her heart. "Yes, anything is." She looked back at Burnt Oak's journal and nodded to herself as she went to go wash up. I think I'll keep a record of his recovery in his journal. After all, if anything's possible, then maybe some day, he'll see that there are ponies that do care, and finally will take down the wall around his heart.

Author's Note:

I changed the last chapter a bit to make some more sense, and changed the ending to have this as a second chapter. There is a sequel in the works, be on the lookout for Burnt Offerings, Oaken Hearts

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment