• Published 11th Jul 2013
  • 2,902 Views, 79 Comments

The Dweller's Tale: Of Mutants and Magic - Appy



After a botched experiment involving both chaotic and standard magic, Twilight is stranded in a strange new land, her only help coming from a man who knows just as little about the world as she does. His blue clothing proudly displays the number 13.

  • ...
5
 79
 2,902

Chapter 3 - The Shady Sands Shuffle

Both Nash and Twilight frantically sprinted towards the wall in the distance, disregarding the unnecessary waste of energy running was in return for reaching the bastion of civilization sooner. When they finally arrived at the wall, they saw no visible entrance.

"It must be... on a different side," Twilight panted as Nash leaned on the wall to catch his breath.

"Whyyy?" droned the man as he attempted to catch his breath as well.

"This is... what we get... for running," Twilight huffed, collapsing on the ground.

Nash looked at the prone form of Twilight before saying between rapid intakes of breath, "Good idea." He, too, fell to the ground, his legs refusing to support him any longer.

After several minutes of rest, they rose unsteadily. Looking left and right, they opted to go right, a decision that rewarded them with a visible gap in the walls created by an archway which would allow them to enter the town. When they finally arrived at the arch, they were greeted by a young man holding a rifle, and woman, on the left and right sides of the arch respectively. They stared at Twilight with perplexed looks.

With their breath regained and new people to meet, Nash walked forwards, a stupid grin plastered on his face which he just couldn't seem to lose. His first contact with a surface human, and they didn't even look mutated! He held out his hand to the man, saying, "Hello there, my name's Nash."

"They call me Seth," he replied, taking Nash's outstretched hand.

"And I'm Katrina," the young woman said with a smile almost as beautiful as the sun, Nash thought as she bowed slightly. She was wearing long, loose clothing and a sash across her chest. Looking back at Twilight, Seth asked Nash, "That's a real funny looking brahmin you've got there. Can't say I've ever seen anything like it. So why are you carrying your stuff and not it?"

"I can't rightly answer that question, considering I don't know what a brahmin is," Nash replied.

"Judging by the phrasing of his question, I'd assume it's a beast of burden; a creature used to transport a large amount of supplies a long distance," Twilight said. That threw Seth and Katrina for a loop.

"Can't say I've ever seen a talking brahmin either," Seth said, resting his rifle on his shoulder and scratching his head.

"Oh! You mean her. She's not a brahmin, she's a pony. Her name is Twilight," Nash responded.

"A pleasure to meet you," Twilight said with a smile and nod of her head.

"Same to you," Seth replied, still confused, as he had no knowledge of anything called a 'poe-knee.'

"Interesting place you've got here," Nash noted, surveying the town behind Seth and Katrina. A woman with a jug balanced on her head entered one of the small stone hovels, while several deeply tanned children were running around a tall monument, chasing each other.

"Thank you," Seth replied with a smile. "This is Shady Sands. We're a quiet, peaceful community. Self-sufficient, too. We have our own irrigation system and grow our own food."

"Agriculture must be quite difficult with climate and conditions like this," Twilight added.

Seth nodded, his confusion at Twilight's presence slowly fading. "Quite right, but we make do. Have been for a few years now. We trade any excess food we grow to traders from Junktown or the Hub for supplies we can't make ourselves. Bullets aren't exactly the easiest things to make, and there isn't any place even remotely close that we can scavenge."

"A peaceful town like this? What could you possibly need ammunition for?" Nash asked.

"We aren't entirely problem-free. There's the radscorpions, to start with. They manage to poison someone at least once a week, and they're always after our brahmin. They're difficult to keep out of the pens. Last week they took my brother, Jarvis. Razlo, our doctor, is working on an antidote as quickly as he can."

"Then there's the raiders," Katrina said. "They harass us almost as much as the radscorpions do. There are several different groups, but we get most of the damage from one in particular. The walls help somewhat at keeping them out, but they're far more prepared than we are, and they have experience. We're just a simple community with very little knowledge in combating a threat like them. They take many of our supplies when they come. Sometimes... they even take people," she said sadly.

Twilight gasped. "They take villagers? That's horrible! Why would they do that, for slave labor?"

"They're slaves alright, but of a different kind," Seth spat. "They always take women."

"Humanity is a very depraved race," Katrina said, shaking her head. Twilight's face was one of pure horror and disgust.

"I may have left the Vault to find a new water chip, but I'll be damned if I just stand by and let this continue. I'll help you with your problems, both the raiders and the radscorpions," Nash said with confidence.

"While we'd appreciate any help you can offer, I don't want you getting yourself killed trying to solve our problems," Seth said.

"Nonsense!" Nash shouted. "I've got a gun and damned good aim," he about-faced, quickly drawing his gun and pointing it at the empty desert beyond, as though scanning for any hostile activity. Twirling it on his finger before smoothly holstering it, he turned back to them before continuing, "How bad could a few bugs be for a start? Bang, bang, and they're dead."

"If it were that easy, don't you think we would have been done with them already?" Seth asked, annoyed at the stranger's dismissive attitude towards the creatures that were able to harm his brother and many others so severely.

"You say they're scorpions, and judging by the 'rad' prefix, I'm assuming they are in some way mutated by radiation. Is one of the reasons why they're so dangerous because of their tough, chitinous exoskeletons? I'd also have to assume they've increased in size from the unmutated garden-variety scorpion in order to be a threat." Twilight asked, pushing her feelings about the raider activity to the back of her mind.

"That's right," Seth said, impressed. "They've got these tough plates covering their entire body. Takes a few rounds of a decent caliber weapon to damage them, unless you get a lucky shot in one of their softer parts, not to mention they're damned big buggers. You know, you're pretty knowledgeable about the wasteland for a Vault dweller."

"Oh, no," Twilight said quickly. "I'm not from a Vault. I was actually performing an experiment back home, which backfired on me. When I woke up, I was in the middle of this desert with nothing around me except for Nash. We've been traveling together since then while I recover the energy I need to get home."

Seth nodded, not quite understanding Twilight's definition of "home." "I see. Well, in that case, welcome to the wasteland, where trouble never sleeps."

"I plan on solving as many troubles as I can while I'm here. What sort of able-bodied man would refuse to help a town in need?"

"Well, there's any random wastelander, to start," Seth responded.

"But as you can see," Nash retorted, putting an arm around Twilight's neck, "we are not your average wastelanders. We'll solve your scorpion problem as a start, no sweat."

"Wait, 'we?' Since when did I volunteer to join your pest control squad?" Twilight asked jokingly.

"Since you started eating my food and drinking my water," Nash responded with a smile, ruffling Twilight's mane, much to her chagrin.

"You're either the most generous or idiotic person I've ever met. No offense," Seth said. "Like I said before, we'd greatly appreciate any assistance you can offer, but just note that sometimes generosity can be wasted on those who don't deserve it."

"Generosity is a virtue," Twilight added. "It's a great thing to have no matter who you're dealing with."

"I'm sorry to say that people with views such as yours don't have a tendency to last very long out here," Katrina said. "I'm sure you'll find out soon enough what I mean, if you plan on traveling the wasteland."

"That reminds me," Nash said. "I mentioned before, but I'm looking for a water purifier chip for my Vault. Ours is broken, and the water supply in the Vault is limited. Would either of you happen to know of anywhere I could find one?"

"Well, I actually came from Vault 15," Katrina said. "We all used to live there years ago. But the when Vault was growing overpopulated, people started to leave, taking supplies we needed with them. Eventually, there weren't many of us remaining, and we had little left to survive on. When we were attacked by raiders, the last thing I recall is being shot, then waking up here in what eventually became Shady Sands. I've been living here ever since, helping travelers understand our town and ways of life."

"So, do you think your Vault still has the purifier chip?" Nash asked hopefully.

"It's possible. I doubt anybody who raided the Vault would know of its significance, and the Vault itself has been abandoned now."

"This is great!" Nash exclaimed. "That was actually a lot simpler than I was expecting it to be. Just gotta grab the chip, then head home. Simple."

"I wouldn't be so sure," Twilight cautioned. "What Katrina knows is several years outdated information. Who knows what could have happened since then?"

Nash pouted. "You're spoiling my heroic pride." He pouted, crossing his arms. "But never mind the Vault for now. I still have a few months of leeway before I really need to worry. The more pressing concern is helping you guys out right now," Nash finished, looking to Seth and Katrina.

Seth sighed before saying, "Look, if you're really intent on helping us out, go to the guard barracks," he pointed towards a not too far off building on his right. "Look for Ian. He's got some real wasteland experience. He used to be a caravan guard for the Hub."

"You also mentioned another place besides the Hub, Junktown I believe? These are other other towns in the wasteland?"

"That's correct, though the Hub is probably more of a city than a town. Biggest one I've ever heard of at that, with a population of over a thousand people."

"Wow," Nash said, surprised. "That's even more than the Vault had. Any chance you can direct me to them?" he asked.

"Easily," Seth said as he gave Nash the directions, which Nash marked on his Pip-Boy.

"Thanks a lot for this information. Nice to know that my first contact with surface humans was a friendly one. Come on, Twilight, let's go have a chat with this Ian guy."

"Be careful out there," Seth said. "The wasteland is a dangerous place. Oh, and before I forget: Aradesh, our leader, likes to talk to any travelers who stop by. Be sure to see him when you get the chance, he's in the town hall." Seth then pointed to the building in question.

"Thank you for the warning, and we'll be sure to see him before we leave," Twilight said as she followed Nash to the barracks.

"Overall, not a bad place so far," Nash commented as they were walking.

"I'd have to agree. I'm a little insulted at being considered a pack animal, but I can't fault them for their lack of knowledge. Though I do hope it doesn't become a recurring thing. What he said about those raiders, though... how they take prisoners, slaves, I just..."

"Don't worry, Twilight. We'll give those sons of bitches what's coming to them," Nash said harshly.

"How? You're not going to... kill them, are you?"

Nash stopped walking. "I — I don't know. I really don't know. I hope it doesn't have to come to that, but you heard what they've done. We can't let this continue, and no matter what it takes, we need to stop it."

"Killing rats or crushing bugs is one thing, Nash. Taking the life of a sapient being, especially one of the same species as yourself, is entirely different. Do you really think you'd be able to do it?"

Nash began walking again, with Twilight at his heels. "To be honest? I don't. The worst I've ever had to deal with in the Vault was breaking up a few brawls. Never has anyone in the Vault died of anything but natural causes, barring an extremely rare accident once in a while."

"So, if it comes down to it, and they attack first with the intent to kill, how would you retaliate?"

Pausing outside the curtain-covered entryway to the barracks, Nash looked Twilight dead in the eyes. "With hot lead," he said, gesturing at his pistol. Not waiting for a response, Nash pushed the curtain aside and entered the sandstone building. The interior was surprisingly cool compared to the outside heat of the lowering sun. The floors had woven rugs, and some basic furniture was also present, while thin wooden walls created separate "rooms" with curtains blocking any prying eyes from viewing inside. A woman was stationed at a stone stove in a corner, stirring something in a metal pot, while several men sat at a table idly chatting, some wearing turbans tightly wound around their heads. Finally, sitting on a ratty-looking couch against a wall, was a man in a black leather jacket. The jacket had only one sleeve, and wrapped around his sleeveless arm was a bandage. He picked idly at his fingernails with a knife.

"Hey, get that brahmin out of here!" shouted one of the men at the table. Twilight pouted at the comment while Nash snickered.

"For your information," Twilight said, attempting to mask her irritation, "I am not a brahmin. My name is Twilight Sparkle, an—"

"Holy shit! A talkin' brahmin. Well, I'll be damned," interrupted a different man at the table as he downed a glass of dark liquid. Looking at the bottom of his empty glass, he said, "Or maybe I'm hittin' the booze too much." Shrugging, he poured another shot from a bottle in the middle of the table.

"Didn't you just hear it? Just said itself it wasn't a brahmin," said a third man. "I could have told you that."

"And how would you know?" asked the first man.

"Don't smell like a brahmin. You been near the pens recently? Those things smell nasty this time of year. That thing smells kinda sweet, actually," replied the third.

The first and second speakers sniffed the air. The second said, "I don't smell anythin'," to which the third replied, "That's 'cause I got a nose like a dog." He tapped his nose for emphasis.

The first commented, "No, it's because you got a nose bigger than a deathclaw's dick," eliciting a chorus of laughter from the men at the table.

"And just how many deathclaw dicks have you been looking at recently to be able to make that comparison?" the third asked, earning more laughter from the others.

"Alright guys, settle down. Swearing and hollering isn't the best way to introduce these strangers to the guards of Shady Sands," said the man in the leather jacket. Tucking the knife into a sheath attached to his leg, he rose from the couch. He held out his bandaged right arm, saying, "Hey there. Name's Ian, pleasure to meet you," he shook hands with Nash before offering his hand out to Twilight. She paused a moment before placing her hoof in the outstretched hand and shaking as well.

"Nash," the Vault dweller introduced himself.

"And I'm Twilight," she said.

"You don't look like a local," Nash said to Ian. "What's your story?"

"I was a guard for the merchants of the Hub a while ago. However, I was shot during a bad raid by some bandits. The wound got infected, and at one point it was so bad the Doc thought they'd have to amputate. But as you can see, that wasn't necessary. I've been staying here, since the people have helped me recover. My knowledge of the outside world and my experience make me useful here. Shady Sands is my home now, but occasionally, I even get to visit Junktown or the Hub to do some trading since I'm the only person here who has ever really left town. And yourselves?"

"I'm afraid my story isn't nearly as interesting," Nash said. "Born and raised in a Vault, our water purification chip broke, limiting the supply of water we have. The Overseer sent me out to find a new chip. Found Twilight on the way to Vault 15, where I was told another chip could possibly be found. Then we saw your little village here on the way and decided to stop by."

"As for me," Twilight began, "an experiment of mine sort of exploded. When I woke up, I was in the desert, and Nash was poking me."

"Ah, good times," Nash said with a smile.

"That was less than a week ago," Twilight deadpanned. "I don't think that gives you the ability to reminisce about it."

"I'd recommend you don't go poking everything you find out in the wasteland. But come, sit down," Ian said as he made his way back to the ratty couch. Nash plopped down next to him while Twilight sat on her haunches, facing the two.

"So I doubt you're just barging randomly into buildings to talk to everyone. Something you need from us?" Ian asked.

"From you, actually," Nash said.

"Oh?"

"We were told that the wasteland is a very dangerous place, and—" Twilight said.

"Dangernus dodn't... dooen't... dontn't..." interrupted the man who had forgone the use of a shot glass and was instead drinking straight from the bottle.

"Doesn't," input another at the table.

"Yeah! Doesn't even bergin tuh describes it. And — and lemme tell yous somefin elshe. That — that washeteland's very janederus," he slurred, his voice rising. "And sometin elshe, too!" he shouted, rising from his chair, still clutching the empty bottle. "It'll kills ya, and... and it'sh not very nice either!" he lurched a step forwards before falling flat on his face, the empty bottle rolling out of his grasp and clinking against Twilight's hoof.

"Uh, he gonna be OK?" Nash asked.

"He'll be fine. He's been like this ever since his wife died from a radscorp sting two years back," said a man at the table. "Still, he knows when he needs to sober up, and he's a pretty good shot with a pistol at that."

Twilight attempted to levitate the bottle, strain evident on her face. While everyone else was watching her glowing and sparking horn, both her and Nash were focused on the bottle. It rose shakily a few inches off the floor before falling back down as the glow on her horn died, sparks sputtering out of its tip.

"Still no good then, eh?" Nash asked.

"No, but it's getting better. I was able to hold it for a few seconds, at least. At the current rate, I'd guess my magic should be good enough to levitate light objects normally within a few days. This world doesn't have nearly as much ambient magic as mine, so my magic is recovering at a fraction of its usual speed," Twilight said.

A number of murmurs and concerned voices from the table asked various questions and statements, such as,

"How'd you do that?"

"That was magic?"

"'My world?'"

"Are you an alien?"

"I heard about a crashed alien ship from a caravaner once."

before Nash raised his voice above the din, saying, "Quiet down! Just... be quiet for a minute. I'm not exactly feeling up for this hour-long discussion, so I'll cut to the chase. She is not an alien, she did not arrive in a ship of any kind, and she can perform magic. That's about all you need to know. So please, just—"

A woman's scream echoed throughout the small village, her frantic shouts of "No, let me go! I have to get find my son! James? James?" could be easily heard in any building across town. Ian rose instantly, while Nash, Twilight and the other guards — the sober ones, at least — followed suit. Quickly exiting the barracks, they saw Seth struggling to hold a woman back while Katrina attempted to calm her. Ian and the rest jogged over, with him asking over the woman's screams, "Seth, what the hell's going on?" A small crowd was beginning to form, watching the spectacle with concerned faces.

Before Seth could respond, the woman looked at Ian, tears in her eyes. "My son, James," she said in a much quieter voice. "He said he was tired of the radscorpions always harming the people here. He saw what happened to Jarvis. He — he wanted to help get rid of them. This was hours ago, and I haven't seen him since. His BB gun, the one his father gave him, is missing. He must have taken it and gone to the caves. Oh please, for the love of Dharma, save him!"

"Where are these caves?" Nash asked.

"A few hours' travel north," A voice from the crowd said as the woman broke down in tears. The group of onlookers parted, forming a path as a man with a tanned, wrinkled face wearing a long brown robe walked through. The situation with the frantic woman put the oddity of Twilight's presence aside for the time, though she still recieved numerous bewildered glances.

"What is the trouble?" spoke the robed man, revealing himself as the owner of the previous voice.

"Oh, Aradesh. It's Celine's son, James. Sounds like he went to try and wipe the scorpions out with nothing but his father's BB gun," Seth said, still holding the woman, though she was no longer struggling.

"I've got an idea," Twilight interrupted, earning even more confused looks from the townsfolk. Ignoring them, she continued, "Ian, Nash, and I will go to the caves. Leave the rest of the guards here, but be on watch. If these raiders you mentioned before were to find out about this situation while the town is in panic, they would have a massive tactical advantage. We'll save James and eradicate these radscorpions, once and for all." She stomped her hoof as her wings flared.

Aradesh hummed in thought, looking up at the setting sun before nodding to Twilight and Nash. "Very well, you wanderers two. Ian will lead you to the caves. You do not have much time before dark, by which time it will be most difficult to locate the den of these accursed creatures. May Dharma watch over you."

Ian looked up as well, before saying, "Come on, then. We'd better hurry."

With that, the leather-clad ex-caravan guard, a Vault dweller and an Equestrian princess ran once more into the desert.

Author's Note:

Huzzah, new chapter! I can't tell if I like or hate the way the dialogue played out. I'll probably be going through it and changing a number of things, though the basic premise, themes and topics will remain the same.

In other news, I saw this story in the "Popular" section the day before. That made me smile. Wonder if I'll ever be lucky enough to get a feature?

I also took a chance and sent this to Equestria Daily a day or two ago. No response yet, but I'm hopeful.

I also just realized I have done nothing with the situation of Twilight's absence in Equestria, apart from the first scene where she leaves. I'll cover that next chapter. I've already got ideas in mind.

Anyway, that about wraps it up. Hope you enjoyed! If there's anything you'd love to see now or later, please feel free to mention it!

One last thing. A pre-reader and/or editor would be a great service to both me and you readers. If you've got the time, understanding of the English language, and are able to give honest criticism, please send me a PM so we can discuss it.

Cheers!