• Published 11th Jul 2013
  • 1,224 Views, 17 Comments

Berry Punch's Last Drink - Ranak



When Berry Punch loses her daughter, Berry Pinch, it takes a Pink pony and an adventure into Berry's past to get her daughter back from Filly Services.

  • ...
2
 17
 1,224

A New Beginning

The pink rising sun crisps the cool air of the early morning, the soft light entering Berry’s room from the open window, the chip of nearby birds in perfect harmony, and the smell of a fresh day permeated the usually intoxicating air, bringing not just a new day, but a new life. Berry rises from her bed, her head clearer than it has been for many days. She gazes around her room, the empty feeling of the home replaced with the think invigorating feel of determination. This is it, Berry thought, This is the day I begin to get Pinchy back, this is the day my life begins anew. Her saddlebags waited to be put on at the side of her bed, packed and waiting. Wasting no time Berry gets ready for what is to come, she takes the book The Lost Treasures of Equestria off her nightstand and places it into the remained space of the bag. She gallops down her stairs, anticipated the day with both excitement and dread, when she glances across the kitchen, she stops suddenly, her alcohol cabinet with its mahogany wood as it has been for years, standing there in all its inviting promises and splendor, she gazes at it for a moment, looking it up and down, gathering in all the features, she opens it, the remaining wines, beers, and other alcohol resting in neatly organized lines, she grabs an ale, around 5 bits per case, and dumps it into the sink, tossing the bottles into the trash, Berry moves on without another moment of hesitation. She leaves her home behind, knowing full well that this may be the last time she sees it. The reality of the possibility of death sinks in and tries with all its might to destroy her anticipation and excitement, but it was all for not, she arrives at Sugarcube Corner with a bounce in her step and a smile on her face. Pinkie Pie is already waiting for her, the same goofy smile and bounce in her step, “Hey Berry Punch! Are you super excited to go into the deep dark unknown, ohhh Rainbow Dash would love to come and have a chance to live like Daring Do! I should’ve invited her! Oh and Twilight and Rarity and Fluttershy and Applejack!”

“Pinkie Pie, I think having that many ponies might slow us down... and I don’t have much time until they take my house.”

“Oh right! Sorry Berry I forgot we were on a mission! Serious Pinkie is now Serious! Lets go!”

Pinkie begins to bounce along the path toward the Everfree Forest, the sun rising to their left as Berry follows, the day promises to be warm and clear, but that doesn’t mean that the forest will be the same way, nopony understands that forest, the weather changes on its own and there are dark creatures nopony has ever seen before. Many ponies have gone in and some have never come out, but nothing will prevent Berry from achieving what she set out to do! Nopony matters more to her than her little Pinchy, and nothing could douse her determination, though the forest did try. Within minutes of them entering the forest a chilling wind rushed its way through the forest, a dark cloud hung over as rain and lightning poured all over the forest. The harsh crashes of thunder ringing in the ears of the two pink ponies as they trek ever further into the forest, without a single idea on where they are going , except deeper. As they reach a cave they scurry into its dark embrace, not sure if anypony, or anything has taken residence within it. With no magic between the two of them they have no way to light their surroundings. Pinkie’s hair is still bright and bouncy and... dry? How does she do that? Berry thinks, I always have my hair dry and puffy silly!

WHAT!? That isn’t my thought!

Of course not! Their mine! Pinkie’s voice replied in Berry’s head. Berry can only stare at Pinkie with her mouth agape as to what she is doing. “What? Haven’t you ever had someone else speak in your mind before?” She then smiles as if this is perfectly normal for her. Rather than ponder it further, Berry justs lets it go as the storm rages on outside, setting her saddlebags down on the stone floor she pulls out The Lost Treasures of Equestria and flips to the Golden Dragon, reading and rereading the passage she furrows her brow in frustration,

“UGH! This book doesn’t even tell us where we could possibly find it! All it says is that It is rumored that you must have the determination of a dragon to find the temple. What does that even mean!”

“I should’ve brought Spike! He is a dragon after all and we are looking for the Golden Dragon, maybe he would know something about it! I mean, even though he is just a baby maybe it was some sort of innate knowledge that dragons have! Ohhh! Maybe Spike is the Golden Dragon and…”

The constant drone of Pinkie Pie as she rambles on and one about Spike fades into the background just as much as the steady drum of the pouring rain, and soon to, does the rumbles of thunder. Berry sits and thinks about what this could possibly mean, Does it mean that we have to walk for as long as a dragon could fly? Or maybe it means we must fast? No that can’t be right, ponies have to eat at least once a week, let alone a few years. UHH, what else do dragons endure?

“and of course spike could send letters with his fire, I am surprised he didn’t burn himself! Oh I remember that time when Spike was with really mean dragons… they swam in a pool of lava! Boiling hot lava too! Any other pony would be burnt to a crisp the second they touched it! …”

“Wait!” Berry interrupted with an excited shout, “What was that part with the dragons?”

“They were really mean!”

“No right after that.”

“OH They swam in lava! I guess that is why fire doesn’t really hurt dragons, they seem to like the heat actually.”

“That’s it! Pinkie Pie I know where the temple is!”

“Really? That’s great Berry Punch! Oh now we know where we can go and we can find the dragon and get your house and family back together and you won’t be sad!