• Published 19th Jul 2013
  • 906 Views, 48 Comments

Time and Masks - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Dinky Hooves finds she has a unique magic and grows up to become a hero, even if few know it.

  • ...
1
 48
 906

Shattered World

Dinky stood proudly in her uniform as she followed Drill Sergeant Stonehoof. She kept to the right and back of the drill sergeant, keeping up with him. As they approached, she looked over the recruits standing in formation.

For five years she had been going through physical training during the summer. After that much time, she had gotten pretty good at the training. During the first weeks, she could run laps quicker, do more push-ups, perform better at the obstacle course, and fight better in unarmed combat than most of the recruits. The advantage was only temporary since she went through only half the day's training through the summer. By the time they were ready to graduate, most had exceeded her.

This year was going to be a little different. She was less of a recruit and more of an assistant. She still had to undergo the physical training, but now it was more to demonstrate for the troops. It was also a bit bureaucratic for her since part of her duties was now to keep track of schedules and make notes on the trainees for the drill sergeant.

It all seemed pretty easy so far. Troops would fall in and she would take notes while Stonehoof inspected them. After that, she would let him know what the training was supposed to be for that day, even if he had decided it earlier. Then she would demonstrate what was expected, most often she with the obstacle course.

The job seemed pretty easy so far. A little boring at times. Admittedly she did not have the same fascination and obsession with lists and order that Twilight had (at least from what Dinky had seen from around Ponyville), but it was easy to get the information down well enough to be referenced later.

Dinky was making notes as Stonehoof was yelling at the recruits. Soon they would be running with full packs, training to travel with some of the heavy equipment they will be required to wear while out in the field.

The moment was interrupted as a golden white glow filled the area, the sound of magical teleportation reaching the ears of all the ponies. Everyone turned to watch, seeing the flash fade away to reveal the form of Princess Celestia. All but Dinky bowed as the princess approached.

"Pardon the interruption, Sergeant," Celestia said as she reached the crowd, "but an emergency has arisen and I need my student immediately."

"As you wish, Princess," Stonehoof said. "Dinky, you are dismissed."

Before Dinky could say anything, she found herself engulfed in Celestia's magic. Everything around her vanished in a golden light. As the glow faded, the young unicorn found herself standing outside Ponyville's hospital.

"I'm afraid your mother is inside," the princess said. "Hurry on. I'll be there momentarily."

Dinky was off as soon as she heard the word mother. A sense fear filled her stomach as she ran to the hospital. She pushed the door open with her horn, trying to slow down to a more acceptable pace as she went inside. The young unicorn mare headed directly to the front desk.

"Excuse me," she said, "My name is Dinky Hooves. I was told my mother Derpy is here?"

"Dinky," a voice said from one side, getting her attention.

"Carrot Top?" Dinky moved away from the desk, moving toward her friend. "Where's mom? What happened?"

"I'll take you to her." The yellow and orange earth pony turned and started down one of the halls. Dinky followed, keeping close as the walked through the hospital.

"Your..." Carrot Top's voice cracked as she tried to speak. She let out a cough before trying again. "Your mother had an aneurysm. It seems she had a clot developing in her brain for years and it finally ruptured." The mare stopped and looked at the younger one, tears in her eyes. "The doctors can't do anything about it and they don't think she has much longer." Saying nothing else, Carrot Top led Dinky to the door to one room, and motioned inside.

A grey furred pony laid on the bed, the sheets pulled up to the middle of her chest with her forelegs resting on top. The long blond mane was spread out on the pillow and her eyes were closed. An oxygen tube was attached to her nose and a heart rate monitored beep -- if just barely -- from off to one side.

"Mom?" Dinky asked as she moved closer. One of Derpy's ears gave a twitch at the sound. She slowly opened her eyes and looked around. The mare smiled as she caught sight of her daughter. Reaching out, she placed one of her hooves on top of the younger pony's.

"Look at you," Derpy said, "It's always a surprise to see how big you've gotten. My not so little muffin." She let out a small giggle.

"...How do you feel?"

"Tired..." The mare looked away from her daughter then up at her again. "And proud." Reaching out, she took a hold of Dinky and pulled her closer. "I want you to know that. I am proud of all you've done, and will be proud of anything else that you do."

"Mom." Dinky's voice cracked as she spoke. She tried to blink back the tears. "Don't talk like that. You're going to be fine."

"No I'm not. We both know what's happening." Derpy let out a small sniffle. "I'm sorry. I can't protect you from this."

"I can take care of myself. I don't need you to protect me anymore."

"I know, but it's part of being a mom. No matter how old you get, even if you live to be two thousand years old, you will be my little muffin and I will always want to keep you safe." Pulling the younger pony closer, the older one leaned up and kissed her on the cheek. Afterwards, Derpy fell back onto the bed, seeming to have been exhausted from the effort.

"...I still need you though... There's so much I still don't know and... Mom?"

Dinky reached out and pressed a hoof against Derpy's cheek. The young unicorn did not notice when her mother's chest stop rising and falling. The sound of the heart monitor flat-lining never registered. The next thing she did know is that doctors and nurses were rushing to her mother's bed. Dinky was escorted out of the room as the pegasus in the bed was being tended to.

Without realizing it, she walked to the waiting room where Carrot Top and Amethyst Star were. Dinky tried to say something, to tell them what was happening. No matter how much she opened and closed her mouth, nothing came out. Instead, Carrot Top moved over to Dinky and hugged her. This was quickly followed by Amethyst Star. Dinky pressed close to the closest thing she now had to a family, hiding her face against them, and let the tears flow.