• Published 19th Jul 2013
  • 904 Views, 48 Comments

Time and Masks - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Dinky Hooves finds she has a unique magic and grows up to become a hero, even if few know it.

  • ...
1
 48
 904

Princess on the Hunt

Dinky used her magic to hold the newspaper up as she ate. Her gold colored eyes flicked quickly as she scanned, looking from article to article as she only read the titles. Not finding what she was looking for, she set it aside and continued to eat in peace.

Five nights.

Five nights had passed since she had met Shadowbolt. It had also been five nights since the last lightning strike attack had occurred. No pony had been attacked -- to say nothing of injured or even killed -- since.

That would be no surprise to anypony who knew why. After all who would dare to go out and cause mischief when an actual princess was actively searching for them?

The afternoon she had returned and informed Princesses Celestia and Luna what had happened, Celestia had made Dinky continue with her afternoon classes. The filly was able to manage being let out early (though she could not remember if it was from doing well, or from dozing off too much), and grab a quick nap.

The filly woke up just in time to catch the last rays of the setting sun's light through the window. Climbing out of bed, she stretched and yawned, shaking out the tiredness from her nap. Quickly she grabbed her costume to stick it back into her saddlebag which she then put onto her back. She then ran for the door, opening it to head out for another night.

And there stood Luna.

The princess was right at the threshold, standing directly in front of Dinky's door. As soon as it opened, the princess of the night looked down at the young unicorn.

"Can I help you?" Dinky asked, shifting her hooves.

"Yes," Luna said as she stepped into the room, "You can do as I request and not go out tonight."

"What?" The filly's eyes went wide. "But... but Shadowbolt is still out there. Somepony needs to stop her."

"Correct," the princess stated, "which is why I shall be taking my guards this night so that way me seek her out."

"You? Are you sure you want to do that? I... I mean you seemed really upset at lunch and Celestia..." She stopped talking when a hoof pressed against her muzzle.

"In honesty," Luna responded, "I do not want to do this. However, it is something that I feel I need to do. As a princess of Equestria, I have responsibilities I must see to regardless of my personal feeling." She stopped and sat down. "With this matter... I feel that I have additional personal responsibility in the matter. After all, it was I who was corrupted and became Nightmare Moon, and as such, it is I who should take care of any consequences of that time. That is why I must take a personal hoof in dealing with this mare going by the name of Shadowbolt."

"...Okay," Dinky said "I won't go out and look for her."

"Thank you." The princess smiled and leaned down. "I am appreciative of your assistance. Now if you will excuse me, I must prepare to raise the moon and then begin our search." With that, she turned and left.

So Luna went out that night, and every night since, looking for Shadowbolt. The princess and her bat ponies had even spotted the criminal that first night and gave chase. It had been by luck that Shadowbolt escaped, and even that was just barely Fortunately, it was before she had been able to attack anyone. The criminal had not been seen since, most likely having gone into hiding.

"Dinky?" a voice asked from the doorway. A blue pegasus colt with a silver mane and tail stood there.

"Hey, Wind," Dinky said with a smile. "What are you up to?"

"Check this out." Wind Tunnel stepped in and turned to his side. on his flank was a copper colored cutie mark of a pair of wings inside a gear wheel.

"Neat."

"Yeah. Hey could you come over later this week? I have an idea and need some help with it."

"Sure. Shouldn't be a problem."

"Great. Now..." He had began to turn toward the door and stopped, bowing at Princess Celestia.

"Hello young colt," the princess said. "I take it you are a friend of my student."

"Oh," Dinky moved from the table. "Princess Celestia, this is my friend Wind Tunnel."

"Ah, yes." Celestia gave a nod. "It is nice to meet you again. I did not recognize you outside of your Wonderbolts costume." The comment caused the colt to blush.

"Like I was saying," he shifted to stand up, "If you'll excuse me, I need to go find Twinkleshine and see if she can help as well."

"See you later," Dinky said, waving as her friend left. She turned to look at the princess. "It must get tiring having every pony bow when they see you."

"It does make social interaction a bit more difficult when you are royalty. Now as for you. Today, you shall begin study on a new skill." With that, the princess's horn began to glow. "To start, you shall begin to read this." She levitated a book into view, handing it to Dinky.

The filly took the book and looked at it. She read the title then looked at the princess.

"Sewing?"