• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 413 Views, 5 Comments

Pony Stories - GullibleCynic



My entries to various writting competitions

  • ...
 5
 413

New Begining

It was getting late in the evening when Rarity and Rainbow Dash stumbled into their house located in the most upscale neighbourhood of Canterlot. In truth it was actually Rarity’s house and Rainbow had been using the guest room across from the master bedroom for the past four years, but neither had felt the need to bring that up for the past three. They had not spoken much on the trip home, each lost in their own thoughts of their latest adventure with their friends.

As Rainbow started making her way up to her spartan bedroom Rarity spoke up. “Would you like to join me for some tea Rainbow?”

Rainbow turned to look at Rarity and blinked in confusion for a second. “Umm, its late and I’m pretty tire Rares, you probably are too. We’ll talk tomorrow ‘k?” Rainbow forced a smile onto her face.

“Please Rainbow, we need to talk about what happened.”

Rainbow grit her teeth. “We saved the world. Again. Everypony is safe, nopony got hurt. Its a win. Nothing much to talk about.” Rainbow turned back to the stairs, stomping her hoof on the first step, cracking the tile. “Oh, Celestia… I’m sorry Rares, look, I’ll pay for that, but I really dont want to talk right now.” She hung her head and sighed. She knew bed would probably going to have to wait now.

“Rainbow, you know I don’t care about some silly old tile, I was thinking or redecorating anyways. But you really shouldn’t go to bed angry. Please, talk to me.” Rarity said.

Rainbow sighed. Turning back she found that Rarity was sweeping the ground with her front hoof. To the casual observer it was a rare nervous habit. Rainbow knew better, she was upset too. Rainbow turned around “Sure Rares, I’ll even have some tea, don’t think cider will effect me much anymore.”

“Thank you, I’ll join you in the lounge in a moment.”

Rarity normally had normally insisted that tea should be had on her balcony overlooking the Canterlot waterfall. Rainbow made her way to the lounge and made herself comfortable in her favourite chair. Though not quite as welcoming as her bed, it was one of her favourite spots in the house and she was grateful for Rarity’s gesture.

A minute after Rainbow had settled in Rarity entered the room her, levitating a teapot and two teacups. No saucers. “This is really getting to you too, isn’t it?” asked Rainbow.

Rarity set the tea and sat down on the loveseat across from Rainbow. “Oh, you must think I’m just ever so selfish and egotistical and ungrateful and …”

“Vainglorious?” suggested Rainbow

“Twilight’s word-a-day calendar?”

“Its the gift that keeps on giving.” Rainbow said with a smirk.

“Be that as it may, I think that one describes both of us Dear.”

Rainbow snorted, not quite a full laugh, but it was a welcome relief.

“At any rate, I do feel simply awful worrying about my career when yours is so, well … uncertain.”

“No, its pretty certain. Its over. Twilight and Pinkie are thrilled, AJ and Fluttershy dont really care. But for me?” Dash shook her head and let out a breath. “I’ve always wanted to fly with the best. I’ve been a wonderbolt for five years. Been captain for a month. Done ten shows since then, each one better than the last. But now, I cant keep flying with them, its not fair to them, not to mention not safe. So I can be a desk Captain with the occasional solo act or quit.” Rainbow tried to levitated her tea to her. After failing to do much more than rattle the cup she grabbed it with her hooves and took a sip. “When are the coronations?”

“Two months from now. Princess…. er, Celestia has scheduled a single mass coronation for all six of us. Personally I think its to prevent subjecting Canterlot to six Alicorn level Pinkie-parties in a row.” Rarity said a bit more brightly, gossip always help pick her up.

“Its going to change things for you too, isn’t it? Being a princess I mean.” asked Rainbow

“I’m afraid so. Ponies will too easily claim that I'm using my status to promote my works. And truth be told, I’d never be sure if my wears really are standing on their own merits or just riding my coattails. And I was doing so well too! Two shops in Canterlot, two in Manehatten, a new is opening in Baltimare next week!”

Rainbow nodded, she was actually looking forward to the grand opening of that one. “All good things come to an end I suppose.”

Rarity stretched her wings a bit before taking a sip of her tea. “Oh, like you I have options, I could continue to create under an assumed name, in fact I likely will for awhile, but …”

“Its not quite the same?” suggested Rainbow

“Exactly. Whats the point of being the best if we are no longer allowed to compete?” Rainbow raised her tea cup at this a took a swig. Rarity was too focused on her developing rant to notice the faux pas. “And don't even get me started on the effects to my personal life! Finding a worthy Prince has been difficult enough, now, NOW I’m going to have to fend of all sorts of ‘suitors’. I suppose I should just abandon such a notion outright. Celestia seems to do fine on her own. That another dream thats going to end tonight. Seems like the occasion for it, doesn’t it?” Rarity’s eyes had begun to well up by this point.

Rainbow quickly left her favourite chair and joined Rarity on the loveseat. As Rainbow wrapped Rarity in her wings Rarity began to cry. Sofly. Quietly. After a minute Rarity’s breathing deepened and she started ruffling her wings. Rainbow took this as her cue to loosen the hug, but she didn’t completely let go.

“Rares you really need to let me teach you how to preen.” said Rainbow

Rarity snickered at this. “And I should show you the basic of Unicorn magic.” Rarity rested her head on Rainbow’s shoulder for several minutes after this, each enjoying the calm.

After almost ten minutes had past Rarity turned to look Rainbow in the eyes. “Rainbow, what are we?”

“Friends Rares.” Rainbow broke eye contact and shrugged “Two of the best friends that ever were.”

“It seems you and I are going to be around a long time. I for one would like to make that journey with somepony that will never leave me ‘hanging’ as it were.” said Rarity “Come its bed time. End of the day.”

Author's Note:

Well, here it is. Last submission to the last prompt for 30 minute pony stories. I wish I had participated for more of them, but it was fun being part of the last hurrah at least. Guess we can change these type of stories to complete now.