• Published 20th Jul 2013
  • 3,815 Views, 81 Comments

The Plushie Replacement - HeavyStripes



a workaholic of a pegasister recieves a wonderful gift for her birthday but problems become blindingly apparent when she wakes up the next morning.

  • ...
4
 81
 3,815

Bad Day, Better Night.

"I hate you door. You're a total jerk you know that?" The shadow wrapped woman rammed a shoulder onto the door and it opened with a loud protest before she had to slam it behind her to close it properly. There was a snort nearby, followed by some falling cans and she turned to see her mother passed out on the couch with a few empty beer cans. She was barely visible in the many rays of moon light let in by blinds that seriously needed to be replaced. But all her money was always sunk into the bills she needed to pay and other necessary utilities like gas and food.

Her mother was not a great parent by any means. Years of neglect and alcoholic fueled lethargy had killed whatever true love was between the two but still she stuck around to take care of the one who had birthed her.

With a sigh she let her hair out of its ponytail and hung up her Starbucks hat and apron before she trudged to her mother's unconscious and inebriated form. A long day at work dealing with fussy, OCD customers deserved a long day of sleep but first she had to take care of her mother.

She patted her shoulder softly and shook her. "Come on, let's get you to your- oh wonderful, vomit." A whiff that passed by her nose said otherwise fortunately. "Oh thank god just spilled beer." She shook her mother again before she caved and just picked her up. "It is incredible how you maintain such a light weight with your diet of booze and lucky charms followed by near constant sleep."

She nearly tripped transporting her mother to her bed but just managed to save herself at the expense of the other woman slamming into the floor. It didn't even phase the sleeping drunk.

"Screw it, stay here. I have to clean up the house that you undoubtedly dirtied." There was no venom behind her words or even pity, just tired acceptance. She left the inebriated woman on the floor after she pulled a blanket from the bed that wasn't even a foot away to drape it over her.

The house soon came alive with serious reluctance as the barista worked hard at cleaning the many messes that were numerous but thankfully light. However she did not finish until well after four in the morning and in her sleep deprived state nearly threw away something of value.

She looked curiously at it for a moment before her sluggish thoughts connected the child friendly puzzle pieces together.

"Oh.... It’s a present." She face palmed hard and mentally berated herself for forgetting that today was her birthday, before she finally got to opening it in a rustle of ripped paper and rubbing cardboard. She dug inside the small box and pulled out a plushie with a squeal. It was Flufflepuff, her favorite pony! She loved the raspberry blowing pony and all her incredibly odd quirks. Who got this for her? She looked into the box but didn't find any card, just a note written on the actual box.

"I know it’s a little odd to leave this at your place before the actual date but shut up and know that I love you, happy birthday Lenore.

-Kevin"

She scoffed in minor annoyance and reflexively replied. "It’s Lenny."

Despite this she still smiled and threw away the garbage with her newest gift in hand.
Cuddled around her new plush she just managed to fall asleep before the clock hit six.


~Elsewhere~


Nela face pawed hard at the sight of her griffin companion strung upside down from the rope tied tightly around his ankle. They were in the Obsidian Flats, a place not for the light of heart or flat footed. But like any place of mystery and danger, rumors and such were abound with the riches hidden in the tainted and scarred land on the world of Metallos; and she had to be stuck with the assassin who couldn't spot traps.

"What? Are you just gonna look disappointed or are you gonna help?"

The massive black diamond dog shook her head and walked off without sparing him a glance. Such whelps who were danger-blind did not get the honor of words from her.

A refined and slightly obnoxious voice spoke up from behind her, "Now now Judicator, play nice. They are our comrades after all."

Nela had to grit her teeth to keep from growling but could not keep the anger out of her voice. "Alpha, if only Pack had gone on this..." She struggled to find the right words in a tongue she was still learning. "Quest-assignment alone, it would have been resting in tavern with gold tight in paw and large sausage in mouth!" She turned to face the speaker, A strong noble unicorn with a shimmering white coat under steel lorica and golden mane combed stylishly to the side.

The griffin couldn't suppress his snickers as he lightly swung from side to side and hung upside down. "Yeah I always thought you needed such... 'Activities' to stop being such a bi-"

"Za'Kig!" The unicorn glared the griffon into silence before continuing. "Such behavior is unbecoming of any respectable griffon let alone a member of the Lunar Clan! Our guild has worked hard to gain the honorable reputation we have today and I will not allow it to be tarnished through misconduct."

A pink unicorn with a silver bedhead mane revealed herself from an outcropping of rock, most of her form hidden behind her priestly robes that clinked ever so slightly. "Do you always have to think of the guild first?"

"Yes Kaona, someone in our motley crew must and I find it fitting that it should be me, seeing I'm the senior member and leader."

"Self-appointed!"

"Irrelevant!"

Kaona cleared her throat to get their attention. "Wanna be bad boy and lord comb over, I hate to interrupt this little-" she waved a hoof at the quarreling duo, "bonding session but I believe it best if we find who laid this trap. After all it was made to subdue and not kill from the distinct lack of corpses about."


~~~


"Perception rolls will now commence." Luna clopped her hooves in excitement at how well this game was going. It was not her first time as Game Master but she was controlling the first quest of two newcomers instead of just the usual pair of royalty.

"Lord Combover?" Blueblood raised an eyebrow with moderate annoyance.

Cadence giggled. "Sorry, just teasing you Blueblood."

The prince rolled his eyes, a ghost of a smile on his lips. "Yes, yes apology accepted."

"Well I for one am not a wannabe. I'm a bonified bad boy thank you very much." Shining Armor crossed his arms in mock offence.

"Ah yes and that is why you are the captain of the royal guard?" She leaned on the table to give him an 'oh really?' look.

"Yup, it's Captain Bad-boy to you princess." He stuck out his tongue before they both laughed. A quiet throat clearing by Luna got things back on track. "Oh yeah sorry Luna, I just never figured I’d have so much fun with a simple board game."

Luna smiled widely. "Yes we-I was enthralled by this when sister had shown it to me but she has been playing this ever since it was first created. The maker of Forge World is truly a creative brony."

Celestia nodded in agreement not catching the verbal mistake unlike Shining Armor.

"A what now?"

"My apologies, a simple slip of the tongue, pony. Now, let’s see who goes first...?" The princess of the night glanced at the four ponies in front of her before checking their character sheets.

"Wait hold on, can I use my turn to cut myself down since somepony wasn't nice enough to help me out."

"Sorry Shining but Nela listens to those who have strength of mind or body and Za'Kig hasnt impressed her in either aspect. Unlike Lord Swift Sword." Celestia smirked and took a sip of her tea while Blueblood puffed out his chest a little arrogantly.

"Ah yes you may, I had forgotten that you were... indisposed of." She grinned evilly before continuing. "Now sister since you have the highest perception modifier you may go first."

However Celestia made no move to do so, her voilet eyes stared out the open balcony door with her thoughts elsewhere.

"Tia?" The lunar princess waved a hoof in front of her face.

She blinked quickly, snapped out of her revery and grinned. "Oh yes sorry but could we continue this another time? I'm beginning to fear I grow tired and I grow as cranky as any other without sleep." She began to yawn as if to drive the point home.

"Oh of course, we shall reconvene in two nights."
Shining shook his head. "Sorry but that’s no good for us, I'm taking Cadence out for a romantic evening but I'm free after."

"Is that night free for both of you as well?"

Her head turned toward Blueblood and Celestia who nodded in turn but Blueblood spoke up. "I will need to shift a few things around but I'll manage. I bid you both good night." With that Blueblood left without so much as a backward glance.

When the door closed Shining laughed softly. "I never thought I would live to see the day he would actually become tolerable."

Luna gathered the pieces and other accessories to their game with a simple flick of her horn. "We, I mean, I agree. While I would still wish to avoid him outside the realm of Metallos this does give me incentive to do otherwise." In her giddiness from a good game and the meshing of characters she had slipped back into her old ways of speech for a moment. "And we applaud thee Cadance for thy insult, twas most humorous! I mean... Oh you understand." She rolled her eyes with a smile. "I also find it amusing that you choose to be a changeling of all things."

The princess of love shrugged with a sheepish smile. "I may have developed a small fascination of them."

Shining grimaced a little. "Let’s keep them at a distance for a while longer. Still trying to get over the whole-" His eyes swirled as he made a screw motion with his hooves. "Mind control bit."

Celestia tried to suppress another yawn and Cadance caught it. "Oh sorry Celly, we will get out of your mane now. Have a good night's rest!" With a quick hug to both of them which were returned and a nod goodbye from Shining they left the royal sisters alone in Celestia's chambers.

Luna had just finished packing up the game pieces when she spoke to her sister. "Long day at court Tia? Come let me brush your mane." She jumped up onto the bed and patted the spot next to her as a brush levitated toward the lunar Princess.

Celestia took one last sip of her tea before answering both the summons and question. "My mane doesn't need to be brushed like others, you know this. And yes, unfortunately."

"And here I thought you were just getting lazy." Luna laughed softly as her big sister climbed into the bed and laid her head down on the smaller alicorn's lap. She removed their royal adornments with small burst of magic and began to take care of her sister's mane.

She brushed with slow practiced movements and did it by hoof, something Celestia always enjoyed. The personal touch was nice and warm compared to the respectful distance many kept because of their royal status. The guards didnt help either.

They were wrapped in companionable silence broken only by the quiet brush strokes through a celestial mane. Celestia had missed this a greater deal than she had first thought with each stroke almost bringing therapeutic waves of relaxation across her body. When was the last time she had just laid down and take care of her for a change? Well at least without the crown on her head as an unspoken and slightly intimidating incentive. Or the many ponies she had to care of in return because of said crown.

"Tia?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you so much."

"And I you Luna."

Luna kept brushing well after her sister had fallen asleep but had to leave to attend to her own duties as Princess. With a kiss on her ivory horn Luna bade all nightmares elsewhere and left Celestia to her peaceful dreams.


~~~


It was very dark and very warm but she felt incredibly well rested. The combination of all three weren't common when Celestia awoke each morning but it was a nice change of pace. So was the warm draft and pillow. Almost felt like another pony.

"Luna that you?" She yawned softly and raised her head to look around. She saw nothing. "You needn't make it so dark sis....ter?" As she spoke she let her horn flare to life to shed some light but her sight was greeted by something soft and pink. It definitely wasn’t Princess Cadance.

A strong gust of warm breath hit her just before the massive creature's hand got a hold of her and lifted her up. Celestia was too shocked to do anything but stare as its other grasper came up and began to poke and prod her stomach roughly. She was snapped out of her surprise and struggled but its finger elicited giggles out of her, her horn flashing brighter as a result and the creature grumbled.

Finally it stopped its tickle torture and a large honey brown eye opened and met Celestia's violets. "Would you kindly put me down? I prefer flying with only the aid of my wings."


~~~


Lenny slowly set Celestia down onto her hooves, not quite sure what to think. But she did know what to complain about.

"Why did I have to snap and start hallucinating on my day off?"

Author's Note:

The game they are playing is Forge World which is an actually thing and amazing. Its created by zelkova48 go over and check his story out! This all done on colornotes with my phone so please let me know if you see anything wrong grammatically with it and I well do my best to fix it. All comments are welcome.