• Published 6th Jul 2013
  • 2,513 Views, 66 Comments

Blood On the Moon - sentinel28a



Trixie has been humiliated twice by Twilight Sparkle. There will not be a third time. There will be blood.

  • ...
5
 66
 2,513

The Price of a Life

Celestia stood before her throne, her multicolored mane, as usual, flowing around her. Trixie admitted to herself that, being in the royal presence, Celestia actually was quite intimidating. The fact that Celestia’s expression was one of utter disdain did not help. Trixie crossed her forelegs and bowed. It was almost instinctual: Equestria’s ruler radiated that kind of power.
“You wished to see me, Trixie?” Celestia’s voice was low, but it carried through the hall. It was edged in steel.
“I-I did, Your Highness.” Trixie’s voice broke, but with supreme effort she kept it steady.
“Your guard tells me it is in regards to your sentence.” Celestia motioned with her horn to a parchment on the floor next to her throne. “Are you here to ask for mercy?”
Trixie shook her head, and faced Celestia directly. “No, Highness. I accept my fate. What I did was wrong, cruel, and insane. I have no excuse and will make none. I await your judgement.”
Celestia was silent for a few moments. “And if my judgement is death?”
“I understand.”
“Then face justice.” Celestia spread her hooves slightly, lowered her head, and Trixie saw the horn begin to glow. Trixie closed her eyes, hating the fact that she was unable to hide her legs from shaking. She felt the heat increase, and through her closed eyes the outside grew brighter. The heat became almost intolerable, and Trixie swallowed in fear. She hoped it would not hurt too much, that Celestia would make it quick.

Then just as suddenly as it began, the heat faded.

Trixie knew that she was still alive: one, because she could still feel herself breathing, and two, because she needed to go to the bathroom. She slowly opened her eyes. Celestia was no more than two strides away from her, the glow from her horn fading. Trixie suppressed a pang of anger; Celestia had merely moved closer, and the heat in the room had not changed. It had only felt like it. One thing that even Trixie could not meet, however, was the Princess’ eyes.

“Trixie Lullamoon,” Celestia intoned, “I sentence you to life.”

When Celestia said nothing more, Trixie asked, “In the dungeon, exile…?”

“No. Just life.” She turned her flank on Trixie and returned to the throne dais. “You may leave.”

“Wha…what?” Trixie was stunned. She had expected at least some punishment. “But…I was sentenced to death. I accept that.”

“Oh, I know, Trixie,” Celestia replied, taking up her customary position. “I think, however, that it is far more appropriate to let you live with the consequences of your actions.” Celestia’s anger still smoldered. “I will not lie, Trixie. I would very much like to obliterate you where you stand. You attempted to kill not only my favorite student, but also one of my closest friends. To say nothing of what you nearly did to Ponyville! Personal feelings aside, you deserve nothing less than death on account of that alone!”

“Then why spare me?”

“For several reasons. Luna has been telling me that you have made some real progress in reform—and, in doing so, you have helped my sister face some demons of her own. Twilight Sparkle asked Luna, and myself, to spare your life. And you do have potential: your magic is quite exceptional, if it could only be turned to the cause of good and not selfish, petty thoughts of revenge.”

Trixie looked down. “But…where will I go? My life as the Great and Powerful Trixie is over. I’ll never be able to go back on the road as a traveling magic showpony. If I leave Canterlot, I’ll probably be killed. By the sun, your own guards want me dead.” A single tear escaped her eyes. “I want to die, Princess Celestia.”

“Which is why you are going to live, and anypony that kills you will answer to me.” Celestia shrugged. “Perhaps my sentence is more cruel than death. So be it.” Her expression softened, but only a fraction. “You may stay here at the palace as long as you wish. My sister should be able to find some use for you.” Celestia tucked her hooves under herself and levitated the parchment over to her. “Dismissed, Trixie Lullamoon.”

Trixie did not know what else to do, so she slowly walked out, head down. The doors closed behind her. Celestia watched her over the top of the parchment—which was not Trixie’s execution order, but rather a letter from Twilight about the Apple family’s annual reunion. She sighed, let the letter fall, and then stared out the window, once more at the statue of Discord.

When Trixie returned to her room, Luna was waiting—bleary-eyed, wings drooping, but waiting, curled up on her bed. “You are still alive,” she said simply.

“Looks that way.” Trixie walked over to the window. The sky seemed strangely more blue, the clouds more vividly white. The colors of everything seemed to stand out more. She felt her heart beating, and the air tasted rather sweet. It was all unnatural, and yet wonderful. It’s because I accepted death, she thought slowly, and now I’m still alive.

Luna recognized what Trixie was going through and let her stand that way for nearly half an hour. Despite herself, she had dozed off when the other pony spoke. “Where will I go now?”

"Uh?" Luna shook off the cobwebs of sleep. “Wherever you wish.”
“Oh sure,” Trixie snorted. “I’m sure the residents of Ponyville will be so happy to see me.” She raised a hoof. “Yes, Princess Luna, I know I’m under royal protection, but as I know only too well, that doesn’t always ensure somepony’s survival.”

“'Tis a tough spot to be in, certainly.”

Trixie turned to face the princess of the night. “So how did you handle it?”

Luna chewed her bottom lip for a moment. It made her look much younger, almost a filly. “It took me a very long time, but I learned from my mistakes—as a pony should. I knew that I could never fully make recompense to my sister or Ponyville, or Twilight and her friends. But eventually, I became reacquainted with them, and yes, even made a friend or two.”
“I don’t have any friends,” Trixie said quietly.
“You have one.” Luna got up off the bed and half-walked, half-floated over to Trixie’s side. “I want to be your friend, if you’ll let me.”

“Why?”
Luna smiled. “Because I didn’t have any friends either—well, my sister, but blood is different—and yet Twilight Sparkle extended her hoof to me all the same. Allow me to, in some way, repay kindness with kindness."
A surge of the old hate briefly came up inside Trixie’s mind, but it faded surprisingly fast. Trixie found that perhaps she could make peace with her nemesis, after all. “Why does she have to be so damned perfect?”
“You think she’s perfect? Ask her about the want-it-need-it spell sometime. Or rather don’t. I understand it’s a somewhat painful memory for Twilight.” Luna chuckled. “None of us are perfect, Trixie. We must just keep trying every day to be somewhat better than the day before.
“Twilight and her friends, and for that matter all of Equestria, will not forgive you easily. Some of them may never forgive you. That is why my sister spared your life. You have to live with this. You have to find a way to make peace with it. The price of your life is to know that, and yet rise above it. There is good in you, Trixie. I’ve seen that over the past few days.” Luna affixed her with her gaze. “That said, I will warn you that, should you attempt to revenge again, I will end you myself.”
“No…I’m done with revenge.” Trixie used her magic to take off her hat and cape. “I’m done with all of this. The problem is, what do I do now? I’m just Trixie, not the Great and Powerful Trixie.”
Luna put a hoof over her. “I think I shall like ‘just Trixie’ more.” She winked. “We must begin anew, Trixie. Can you do that?”
Trixie turned to the sky. To be honest with herself, she was not sure she could do that. She felt remorse; she hated herself for what she had done, or almost done. Twilight might forgive her someday, but Trixie knew that she never would forgive herself. As Celestia said, she had to live with her actions on her conscience; she was surprised to find that she still possessed one. It was a terrible pain, far worse than any physical wound.
Still, it was possible. Luna was forgiven for Nightmare Moon, though it was clear that Luna had yet to forgive herself, either. There was much to do around Equestria, too: also as the princess had said, Trixie had great magical power, almost the equal of Twilight Sparkle herself, and in time, could surpass her. Looking at things with new eyes, Luna realized that competing with Twilight did not mean that she must necessarily hate her opponent. From what she observed in Ponyville, and heard through rumor, Rainbow Dash and Applejack were rivals, but friendly ones. They might fight and argue, but there was true friendship there--as she knew firsthand, because it was the Element Bearers' friendship that had defeated her, twice. Perhaps even three times, if Twilight drew her inspiration from a desire to protect Ponyville.
There was nothing wrong with ambition, so long as it did not hurt any other pony. She and Twilight could coexist. For that matter, Trixie could harness her magic, and though she would never replace Twilight as an Element of Harmony, she might one day be called on to defend Equestria. What if the Elements were unavailable, or neutralized as Discord had done? Then Equestria might just depend on a pony like Trixie. Then she would once more be the Great and Powerful Trixie, but one who used her magic for the good of all, not just for fireworks or for selfishness.
It would take time, which she had, and patience, which she would need to develop. Yet Trixie, for the first time in a long time, felt hope. The future held unknown possibilities…one which she had nearly deprived herself of, as well as Twilight. It hurt to think of that, but now Trixie knew what she must do.
“Yes,” Trixie finally answered, with a smile. “I can.”

Author's Note:

Not the end just yet! One more chapter I want to write, which will tie everything up with a nice bow. There's a reason why Celestia keeps looking at Discord...and there's still Trixie's "mentor" out there. Dun dun dun.

Please leave a review. It's always nice to hear what people think. (And ponies too.)