• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 1,328 Views, 1 Comments

Time is Forever - MysteryMelt



This is the story of when Tartarus opened, how Twilight Sparkle’s time in Ponyville came to an end and how Equestria was changed... forever.

  • ...
3
 1
 1,328

A World Adventure

A World Adventure

“Winning isn't everything.”
~ Star Swirl the Bearded


“There she is!” Diamond Tiara shouted, both her and Silver Spoon galloped up alongside Apple Bloom, bridging her between them.

“So Apple Bloom, now that you’re no longer a blank flank and the summer holidays have started. We should totally hang around together... like friends.” Silver Spoon looked over her shoulder to see Apple Bloom’s cutie mark, a bright pink apple with two blooming flowers beside it.

“Nah, just because I got mah cutie mark now doesn’t mean I have to change my friends. I’m gonna help them get their cutie marks too.” Apple Bloom replied.

“When are you having your cute-ceañera?” Silver Spoon asked.

“Me, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo decided to have a great big cute-ceañera when we’ve all got our cutie marks together. It’ll be the biggest and bestest cute-ceañera ever!” Apple Bloom answered and jumped with glee as she trotted down the long path home.

“But... but, that’s not fair! Why would you hang around with those... degenerate blank blanks?!” Diamond Tiara shouted and stomped a hoof in disgust, she was used to having her own way. Silver Spoon just shrugged.

“Seeya!” Apple Bloom said and winked at the foals. She raced home to meet her sister at Sweet Apple Acres.

Applejack waited impatiently along with Granny Smith, Big Macintosh and Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash was on the roof of the apple family barn sunbathing with her signature sunglasses.

“Apple Bloom!” Applejack suddenly shouted in the distance as Apple Bloom came up the hill. “There’s you are. Now that Apple Bloom’s ‘ere I can explain. Me and Rainbow are goin’ away for awhile.”

“What?!” Apple Bloom’s face dropped. “Noooo, the summer holidays just started, we were going to do so much together now that I got mah cutie mark!” Apple Bloom groaned.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the protests. Ye’ see, me and Rainbow Dash are going for the world championship race called the Equestrian Five-Hundred. It’s a five-hundred mile race, around the entire world. We’ve been trainin’ for it for a long time.”

“That’s right.” Rainbow Dash suddenly came swooping down with a grin and swagger. Rainbow Dash had been training since the fracture in time fiasco. “I’ve been training ever since that Edge of Forever incident two months ago. Which is why I’m gonna win!” Rainbow Dash laughed snidely.

“I doubt it, unless you forgot that sonic rainboom’s aren't permitted in this type a race?” Applejack and Rainbow Dash lock their foreheads together. As they break the lock Rainbow Dash headed outside and Applejack turned to her family.

“The point being that it’s a very dangerous race, anything could happen, so we’re gonna be gone for a few days.” She explained.

“Take care now, yeese here?” Granny Smith waved a shaky hoof upward.

“Big Macintosh, yer in charge. Keep yer eye on Apple Bloom while I’m gone.” Applejack said and ruffled her sister mane playfully.

“Eeyup!” Big Mac returned as he passed Applejack a satchel filled with food, mainly apples, but bandages and other medical supplies too.

“Good luck,” Apple Bloom mumbled in a strop. still disappointed she couldn’t spend every moment of the summer holiday with her big sister. Especially now she had her cutie mark. Perhaps she would take Diamond Tiara’s offer afterall.

“I’ll be back before you know it.” Applejack winked with a cheeky grin and tipped her hat; she swung open the barn doors.

Rainbow Dash waited outside and stomped her hooves into the ground impatiently. It took Apple Bloom a few moments to realise that she was doing some last minute stretches. A cold shadow then worked it’s way across the ground, Rainbow Dash looked up. A massive pink balloon descended from above, it was attached to a rope from the apple barn so it couldn’t fly away.

“Pretty cool that Twilight let us lend this huh?” Rainbow Dash got excited, “Uhhh... not that I need it. Rainbow Dash glanced from side-to-side.

“You got yer head in the clouds again? There’s both air and land tournaments. You have to race in groups of two, and we’re entering the competition together.” Applejack spelled it out for her.

“I knew that,” Rainbow Dash composed herself and hopped into the balloon. Applejack dived into the basket and tugged on the chain to give the balloon some power. The apple family waved them off and gradually shrunk smaller on the ground below as the balloon sailed high into the clouds...

The heat from the foreboding desert hit both ponies as the clouds parted. Rainbow Dash did press-ups besides some straw baskets also in the balloon, Applejack laid with her hat over her eyes and a piece of straw held loosely in her mouth. The balloons pilot-light purred as the clouds parted.

“There it is Rainbow Dash, the good ol’ town of Appleloosa.” Applejack grunted as she tipped her hat up to take a peek. Appleloosa was situated far to the south near the Macintosh Hills. The town itself was small in stature, with a lane of buildings, each one with a wooden label representing the profession inside. The clock tower was the tallest of the buildings made from red brick. The train tracks twisted through the town and were the main trading route for Appleloosa. The main source of food in this unforgiving landscape were apples; the town was surrounded by famous apple orchids.

The balloon came to a resting halt on the outskirts of the town, a helpful pony wearing a cowboy hat tied up the balloon to a post to stop it flying away. Applejack and Rainbow Dash jumped out of the basket.

“Well howdy cuz! Ye’ need some help there?” The familiar voice called out in the air.

“Braeburn! Applejack said with near delight, “What are you doin’ here?”

“I’m racing too ye know?”

You’re racing?!” Applejack and Rainbow Dash said simultaneously.

“A-a-absoooolutely,” Braeburn lifted up his front hooves in happiness and stomped them back down, dirt showered Applejack and Rainbow Dash. After they cleared their eyes, the three ponies set off to join the others that gathered in the town centre of Appleloosa, the race isn’t for a couple of hours so the three fillies decide to converse with the competition.

A scarlet coloured pony with a small pair of spectacles trotted in their path. Parts of her mane were braided and her cutie mark was covered by a cloak of black. She also wore a large distinct necklace around her neck.

“Ms. Hollow,” Applejack named her, “the mare of many names, nopony knows her first name. She was recently employed at work at the town hall in Ponyville with the mayor. She’s here in the mayors place to oversee the Equestrian Five-Hundred.” She explained.

“Ms.?” Rainbow Dash tilted her head. Applejack pulled Rainbow Dash to one side. Hollow played with the tips of her mane as they whispered in the distance.

“It means she doesn’t like ponies knowing if she’s married or not.” Applejack replied.

“I knew that.” Rainbow Dash pushed away from Applejack flew over to greet the newcomer, “so you’re the infamous Ms. Hollow that I’ve been hearing about for the past few seconds.”

“Pfft,” she blew a raspberry, “‘Hollow’ will do just fine.”

Rainbow Dash did a pose before and introduced herself, “well Hollow. I’m—”

“Rainbow Dash. The Wonderbolt.” Hollow interrupted.

“Whoa, that was totally weird, I knew I was famous but I must be world-wide now.”

Applejack clonked a hoof against her face. She pulled Rainbow Dash to one side and whispered in confidence, “Hollow’s supposed to be ‘psychic’, but I’ve ne’er seen her achieve such a feat. It’s all smoke and mirrors.” Hollow could clearly hear them but chose to ignore it and twiddle with her braided mane. Rainbow Dash broke from their discussion to face Hollow again.

“Whoa, really?!” Rainbow Dash seemed amazed. “Does that mean you know who’s gonna win the race? Is it me? I bet it’s me isn’t it?”

“It doesn’t quite work like that.” Hollow replied coldly.

“Oh c’mon, everypony always says that, it’s too cliché. You don’t believe any of this hullabaloo, do ya, Rainbow Dash?” Applejack said and hoped to gain the support of her friend.

“Well... there is one thing you got wrong, Hollow. I’m not a Wonderbolt.” Rainbow Dash said.

“Not yet.” Hollow replied brazenly and departed. Rainbow Dash was stunned, she was lost in thought thought.

“I’d stay clear of her black bag of voodoo if I was you, Rainbow Dash.” Applejack said and watched Hollow trot away with cold eyes. She didn't trust Hollow and not only because of her strange attire.

Behind the Appleloosa clock tower, and in the shadows of an alleyway, a figure watched with piercing brown eyes. They watched the ponies’ every movement.

“They’re here,” the voice said into the walkie-talkie. Their hoof lifted up and another voice replied through some static: “Excellent, proceed with the plan.”

Spectators from all of the towns over had gathered in the centre of Appleloosa. The clock tower togged to strike the hour. The competitors gathered at the front, among them some familiar faces, Bon-Bon, Hurricane and even Derpy, stood an the other side of the crowd was Zecora who was also racing.

All the ponies could feel the excitement in the air. As the reminding ponies joint at the back of the group the host of the Equestrian Five-hundred, Hollow, approached them on a wooden stage. She cleared her throat for the speech and readjusted the microphone.

“Welcome one and all, my name is Hollow, and I am hosting the Equestria Five-Hundred.” Hollow unravelled a map to Equestria, and places it upon a blackboard. “Now, listen carefully. The first race begins right here in Appleloosa. The earth ponies will start the race here and run towards the San Palomino desert. Their pegasus partners will be waiting at the start of the desert and when tagged will fly over the San Palomino desert and will continue north to Cloudsdale. At Cloudsdale the pegasus will tag back their Earth pony partners who will abseil down the floating city and cross the raging Neighagra Falls. They will tag their partners for the final time to race through the sky all the way to Fillydelphia. We will then stay the night in Fillydelphia to prepare for the final race. For each race: first place attains five points, second place attains four points and so on and so forth.” Ms. Hollow pointed with a stick at all locations on the map of Equestria. “I needn’t remind you all that this endurance race is extremely dangerous, you will be racing for several days and will have to camp out in the wilderness. Be ever aware of your surroundings and keep each other safe. The last time this race took place, a pony named Ace Swift sadly lost his life. Ponies train for years for an event like this which only happens once every four years. Many fail.” Ms. Hollow trotted down the wooden stage, “those of you who are willing and prepared for this mammoth task, please step forward.”

“Well ain’t that a hoot and a holler.” Braeburn spoke up with a smile. “Are ye’ sure you can handle this?”

“What? Pfft. I’m ready for anything.” Rainbow Dash boasted as she and Applejack are handed their matching numbers.

“Who’s yer partner Braeburn?” Applejack asked as she placed the number upon her rump, over her cutie mark.

“Why, I’m with her of course.” Braeburn pointed into the crowd, Rainbow Dash followed the tip of his hoof and looked straight at Hurricane, the notable rival to herself.

Hurricane, why did it have to be her? Rainbow Dash thought.

At the other side of the spectators, the wild buffalo surrounded their chieftain.

“Good luck, bring honor to us.” Chief Thunderhooves said to his daughter with a loving nudge.

“I will father.” Little Strongheart replied. All the buffalo were all here to cheer on the aire to their clan.

“A Wonderbolt from the Fillydelphia division is here!” Somepony shouted out of the crowd.

“One of our opponents is a Wonderbolt?!” RainbowDash squealed. “Which one? Spitfire, Soarin’?”

“Two Wonderbolts actually, Spitfire ‘n Comet,” Braeburn said.

“Who?” She tilted her head in thought.

“Comet, you’ve ne’er heard of him, sugar-apple?”

“Oh... uh oh! Ooohh! Comet!” Rainbow Dash Suddenly remembered all at once. She met Comet at the celebration of harmony after the defeat of the Greymare. The one with the cyan coloured hair, the one who was always nervous. He was the Wonderbolt she ‘apparently’ had a crush on.

“I’ll see you at the edge of the desert.” Rainbow Dash said to Applejack as they shared in a hoof bump. Rainbow Dash flapped her wings and sailed the air for the pegasus starting line.

With the crowd conversing and with the excitement building, everypony taking part gathered to sign their names onto the contract stuck to the blackboard. The race required one earth pony and one pegasus in a team of two. All the Wonderbolts had to be pared with earth ponies. Applejack chuckled to herself, while the Wonderbolt were fast the land racers would surely slow them down. Applejack looked at the teams:

‘Braeburn - Hurricane’
‘Bon-Bon - Derpy’
‘Little Strongheart - Spitfire’
‘Zecora - Comet’
‘Applejack - Rainbow Dash’

Five teams, only one winner.

“Place your bets now!” Sheriff Silverstar held a valet box made from wood, ponies placed their bets within.

Race One: Appleloosa – Cloudsdale

White tape was laid upon the ground, the starting line. The first race, started with the earth ponies in a race through the apple orchard to the edge of the desert where their pegasus pony team mates will be waiting to be tagged. They were no breaks in the race until they all reached Fillydelphia.

Ms. Hollow stepped forward with a chequered flag attached to an oaken pole. It was at this moment Applejack noticed Hollow wore an earpiece, voices could be heard in her ears. Hollow got the sign that the pegasi were ready on the edge of the San Palomino desert.

Lined up and ready to go the five earth ponies bent their knees and composed themselves, inhaling the hot air to take some deep breathes. They could all feel the anticipation in the air, whoever won would surely get international fame and splendour, but each pony had their own reasons for racing.

A lone tumbleweed bounced along the barren landscape.

“On your marks,” Hollow shouted. Everypony felt the soil beneath their hooves, their eye affixed on the horizon.

“Get Set,” everypony bends their hooves, Applejack prepares herself, her hat was tightly wrapped around her skull.

“Go!”

The earth ponies charged from the starting line, first to take the lead was Applejack. Everypony charged around Hollow leaving only a trail of dust in their wake. Through the apple trees they galloped, they weaved in and out of the apple trees; they even knocked some apples from their perches from the shaking of the land. They charged up a hilltop onto the cliffs, a fall now would mean certain doom, Applejack led the race, she looked over her shoulder to see the others trundling behind.

The soaring heat made it difficult even for the athlete, but Applejack charged onwards through the winding cliffs. She paused slightly and smiled down at the apple orchard, there Bloomberg was sat. Bloomberg was growing up into a fine apple tree; it almost brought a tear to her eye.

Vrooom!

Suddenly all the other earth ponies charged past Applejack and left her in a cloud of dust.

The San Palomino desert, a plateau of sand reaching all the way to Saddle Arabia. An endless sea of sand dunes and devil-like twisters, a dangerous desert as glass shards blow in the wind. It was sprawled out infront of the pegasi racers who prepared themselves. The heat is almost unbearable, as the dust clouds which covered the desert made it seem almost impossible.

“Hiya, Comet...” Rainbow Dash brushed up to the pegasus as all the pegasi prepared for their partners arrival. Comet had a cyan mane with lighter streaks like fire; his actual coat is a darker blue.

“H-hey Rainbow Dash,” Comet muttered, he was the youngest Wonderbolt and seemed almost inexperienced. Then again Rainbow Dash had never seen him fly. He lifted up his high-tech goggles upon his forehead to reveal his enchanting pale eyes. Rainbow Dash noticed Comet had two blue letters engraved on the front of his signature goggles, they were worn but readable:


Rainbow Dash thought about what they could mean—

“Here they come!” Spitfire shouted, that broke any thoughts Rainbow Dash had. The earth ponies were here already? The pegasi held their hooves behind themselves ready to be tagged. Comet lowered his goggles back down, he needed them to displace the dust clouds over the desert. Rainbow Dash’s heart raced, her blood pumped with adrenalin.

In the lead was Little Strongheart, she tagged Spitfire as the Wonderbolt took flight without a moments delay over the raging sands. She blasted a wave of dirt in the faces of the competition. Rainbow Dash stood with high hopes, but her hope drained out of a sieve when she watched everypony else tag their partners. Last was Applejack, much to the dismay of Rainbow Dash, who waited alone in last place. Applejack tagged her partners hoof without a word as Dashie blasted off over the desert dunes...

A copious yellow haze of swirling dust and soil spun its way across the rippling dunes of the desert. Trifling and devilish whirlwinds formed across the landscape, anypony could abruptly meet their end in the desert. The unsettling desert had taken countless lives, giving no care as the purpose or value of the souls it claims.

Rainbow Dash shielded her face with a hoof in a futile attempt to block the contestant gusts that rippled through her. Rainbow Dash tried her utmost to navigate the relentless roaring wind, whenever her eyelids parted a fuzzy mess of sand and wind forced them to tighten close.

Entering an emotionless perpetual limbo with all routes surrounding the pony covered in a thick blanket of beige haze, Rainbow Dash wandered aimlessly in an arbitrarily selected direction. Abruptly Rainbow Dash found the others and followed them; she breathed a deep sigh of relief for not getting lost.

But something was wrong; Comet seemed to be itching, as if some sort of bug had gotten into his Wonderbolt suit, the pegasi split up as Rainbow Dash flew next to Comet, just what had gotten into him.

The sand shifted and the ground rumbled. Everypony looked down.

Aaaooowww!

An enormous worm exploded up from the sand with a swirling maw of several layered teeth.

“Watch out!” Comet shouted and crashed into her, knocking out of the way while still itching his suit.

“What the hell is that?!” Hurricane commented from afar.

Another worm ascended out of the sand, it curled midair and used its massive teeth to burrow back into the desert sands.

“Sand Wyrms,” Comet explained as their trek through the desert air had become so much more dangerous. As the dust cleared slightly everypony saw the true extent of the danger. They were several of this worms all twisting and turning through the desert winds. They mouths were wide open, ready to munch upon the unwary and inexperienced. Thankfully the Wyrms were slow, slow enough to outmanoeuvre, but the copious haze of the San Palomino desert made it difficult to see when they were coming.

Hurricane kicked a Wyrm in the eye; they had tiny beady eyes to compensate for their massive gullets. Spitfire landed on one of their backs and continued to run across it before taking flight again. Derpy had no trouble avoiding the Wyrms with her zigzag style of flying.

Comet struggled; he itched his uniforn like a crazy pony. It was the uniform that protected him from lightning among other things. In mid air he tried to slip off his Wonderbolt unicorn.

Aaaooowww!

A Wyrm exploded out of the dust with little warning, it came from under the Wonderbolt. Comet found himself surrounded by the beats layered teeth; he was in the beast's mouth! There was nowhere to clasp open the beasts mouth, the circular mouth closed him in.

“Comet!” Rainbow Dash screamed as she gained a jet stream and punched the beast in its speckled eye. The beast roared in anger, this gave Comet the perfect opportunity to be spit out before it burrowed back into the sand.

During the struggle his suit had been torn off and thrown into the desert. Somepony had put itching powder in his suit.

Rainbow Dash and Comet flew together; their escapade had drawn them both in last place. There was no telling how the other pegasi were getting on in the race. They didn’t care anymore, safety came first.

Rainbow Dash scanned the desert dunes, Applejack was running below. But that was impossible, was it the heat? A mirage? Rainbow Dash pushed against the wind, but her wings just pocketed the air and forced her back.

“Applejack?” Rainbow Dash remarked as the dust blew in her face.

“Applejaaaaaaaccckkk!” Rainbow Dash spun out of control in a devilish tornado; her wing twisted out of shape. Something grabbed her, caught her in mid-air.

“Ahhhh!” Rainbow Dash squirmed as she feared it was a worm.

“Hey, hey! Relax.”

Her eyes opened and gazed skyward. “Comet?! You... saved me.”

“Just r-returning the favour, it’s not over yet, watch out!” The Wonderbolt flew them both under the curvy body of a Wyrm and then they sailed upward, high into the air. They parted each other's grasp and hovered above the canopy of beige haze.

Impossible to tell the time in the claustrophobic desert, the daylight had turned to nightfall during their first race. Sighs of relief come across the other races who reached the end of the desert. Now all that remained was a peaceful flight to Cloudsdale.

Spitfire and Derpy worryingly looked back at the desert; Comet and Rainbow Dash were still inside.

Nightfall had fallen, crickets chirped in the warm Equestrian air. Rainbow Dash and Comet had reached the edge of the desert but now they were both lost and very much behind in the race. Rainbow Dash kissed the ground as they landed on grass.

“What was the matter with you back there, fear of flying or something?” Comet said bluntly and landed beside her. Back in the desert Rainbow Dash had flailed her hooves around like a crazy-pony.

“Uhm no... fear of falling.” Rainbow Dash replied in shame. She hated to admit it, especially to a Wonderbolt.

“I'm sorry... that’s something we have in common.” Comet said with a welcoming smile and unharnessed his saddlebag.

“We have to stay here tonight Rainbow...” Comet parted with the bad news.

“What?! We can’t set up camp now, we have to keep going. We have to win!” Rainbow Dash lowered her legs and was about to set off.

“Noponies going to be out at this hour.” Comet opened his saddlebags and began to unfold a sleeping bag and tent. “Trust me.”

“But—” Rainbow Dash interrupted herself to yawn.

Comet quickly hovered into the air and placed down four pins as a great tent unfolded. Comet invited Rainbow Dash inside and the two pegasi made themselves comfy.

“Oh, but I only packed one bed,” Comet grumbled. Rainbow Dash gave a look of pure terror.

“Baa, only joking! You should see the look on your face.” Comet quickly unfolded a second sleeping bag from his saddlebag.

“Comet, that was terrible.” Rainbow Dash had to laugh.

They laid on their backs beside the tent, in the open air, staring up at the stars that twinkled above.

Rainbow Dash glanced over to him, Comet’s cutie mark was a blue shooting star. She had never seen it before; it had always been covered by his Wonderbolt uniform. Comet’s thoughts were also on the Wonderbolts; somepony had put itching powder in his uniform. Somepony was trying to get him to lose the race or worse, trying to get him killed. Thoughts of the Wonderbolts reminded Comet of a question...

“Hey Rainbow, how come you’ve never tried to join the Wonderbolts?” He rolled to face her.

“I tried once, a long time ago, I went to the Wonderbolt Academy and trained. There was a pony there named Lightning Dust, she trained with me. I never knew what happened to her in the end. But... the Wonderbolts seemed reckless to me and that’s just something I’m just not. I had the skill, but I just couldn’t handle it I guess.” Rainbow Dash turned to face away from Comet. Didn’t Hollow say she was going to become a Wonderbolt? Rainbow Dash thought that was just the mad rants of a pony she doesn’t even know. Perhaps Applejack was right, it is all lies.

“I know that feeling,” Comet replied. “Soarin’ helped me through most of the training at the academy. You know, I almost feel like I beat the system, like I cheated because I got help from the inside. I’ve never thought I was a good flyer and never in a million years did I ever think I’d be a Wonderbolt. But that’s the thing, I’ve never wanted being a Wonderbolt to define me... so if it’s alright with you, don’t see me as a Wonderbolt, just see me... as a friend.”

Comet’s eyes squinted, did she say Lightning Dust?

“What if I told you I was related to Lightning Dust...?”

You’re related to Lightning Dust?!” Rainbow Dash spat. Now she was intrigued.

“Sure am.” Comet sniffled. He thought deeply about how everypony was connected in some way. He stared up at the bright waning-quarter moon.

Rainbow Dash rolled over the face him again. “You seemed so flustered when we first met, but deep down inside, there’s a real you.” She said, Comet didn’t act like the same nervous pony she first met at Canterlot.

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” he returned. They both shared in a hearty laugh. “Goodnight, Rainby.”

Race Two: Cloudsdale – Fillydelphia

In the night hours at Cloudsdale, rather than marvel at the wonders of the floating city at night, everypony was angry and up in arms. Ms. Hollow was surrounded with a discord of angry voices.

“Tain't fair, someponies bein’ cheatin’” Braeburn blurted out in her gruff voice.

The earth ponies had made their journey to Cloudsdale and awaited their partners. But the race had stopped now that everypony knew one team was cheating.

“Cheatin’?!” Applejack repeated as she entered, any doubt was removed when Zecora revealed an empty tin of itching powder. “Yes, it was quite a shock, when I found this behind a rock.” She shook the empty tin in her hoof.

“Comet was itching his suit, someone had put itching powder into his suit. “I saw it with ma own two eyes,” Little Strongheart explained. “and now because of that both he and Rainbow Dash are lost to the desert.”

“Rainbow’s... gone?” Applejack whimpered.

“She’ll be a-o-kay Applejack.” Derpy was filled with hope.

“How do I know your team are the ones cheating?” Braeburn pointed the blame at Little Strongheart.

“This is preposterous, why would anypony want to cheat?” Bon-Bon replied, the earth ponies snorted and began to bicker with great concern.

“The race must continue!” Ms. Hollow’s croaky voice spat out. She stepped out of the shadows. “Once started, it may not be stopped. You will continue.”

“So Ms. Hollow, if you can apparently see into the future, prove it. Tell us who's cheatin’.” Applejack approached the mysterious scarlet pony, and demanded answers. She pointed her heavy hoof into Hollow’s chest.

“Of course not, it doesn’t quite work like that.” Hollow placed a hoof to her ear, the earpiece seemed to be giving her information.

From the shadows of Cloudsdale a filly with violet eyes wearing a pair of reading glasse watched from the darkness. She too lifted up a walkie-talkie. “They discovered the itching powder. What now?” The filly mumbled into the device, a snootier voice replied through the static this time: “Go to plan B.”

“They’re here!” Hollow interrupted everyponies complaints and pointed as the pegasus ponies flew in the proximity of Cloudsdale. They dodged and weaved through the fancy stone pillars of Cloudsdale.

“This ain’t over,” Applejack’s eyes turned to daggers.

The next part of the race involved the earth ponies travelling down zip-wires down from the floating city all the way to ground level, each pony is quickly hooked up to the safe wires, they placed helmets upon their heads. They all stood on the edge of Cloudsdale.

Braeburn gulped. “Nopony said anythin’ ‘bout this. I think I’m actually ‘fraid of heights.” He looked down, the world below danced, his head spun with an innate dizziness. All the way from Cloudsdale, it was a long way down.

The tired pegasus ponies flew into Cloudsdale, most of them were worn out and shattered from flying nearly a full night. Spitfire was in the lead, she tagged Little Strongheart as she sails down the zip wire with cheerful laughter, Little Strongheart had never done such an incredible thing before. Hurricane crashed against the heavy clouds and tagged Braeburn. She was deflated and worn out more than most, she had her heavy build to thank for that.

“I’m not sure about this,” Braeburn mumbled, Hurricane grumbled and shoved the earth pony off the end of the city. “I think I’m gonna head baaaaaaack—”

Derpy came in third place behind the group and tagged Bon-Bon. She sailed down the zip line with a deflated scream.

‘Little Strongheart - Spitfire: 5 Points
‘Braeburn - Hurricane: 4 Points
‘Bon-Bon - Derpy: 3 Points
‘Zecora - Comet: 2 Points
‘Applejack - Rainbow Dash: 1 Point

Comet and Rainbow Dash arrived several hours later, they were refreshed but still in last place.

“Nice to see you finally made it,” Applejack said with a hint of sarcasm. Their hooves bumped with their partners. Applejack and Zecora set off down the zip-lines together.

“Yeehaw!” Applejack shouted in delight as she felt the wind blast on her face. The five ponies descend down through the night sky on the separate wires at breakneck speed. Applejack made her entire body streamlined to gain speed. A scuffle broke out between Braeburn and Zecora as their bodies bashed against each other as they flew down the lines. That slowed them down.

Applejack flew in-line with Braeburn as they chase the leader Little Strongheart, everypony zoomed faster and faster. The lines in Bon-Bon’s face pushed back as her face mangled from the gust of wind pressing against it. Both Little Strongheart and her team partner Spitfire had been infront for awhile now, it was time to mix things up. Applejack held onto her helmet as she zoomed so fast the wire sparked with flairs of fire. She shot down past everypony else and zoomed into the lead.

The ground fast approached. The zip line evened itself out and Applejack came to a nice halt. With the help of the ponies on the ground, Applejack unclipped herself from the zip wire. She was followed close behind is Bon-Bon, the jetstream from the journey down had caused Bon-Bon’s mane to be spiked like a mohawk. But something was wrong, Bon-Bon was glued to the harness, somepony had placed glue all along the harness. Bon-Bon struggled to break free, she needed help. She needed to be pulled free from the harness by the other ponies. Everypony else caught up to her and dashed infront.

“Urg,” Little Strongheart grunted, she had the same problem, glued to the harness she was stuck. The Spitfire-Strongheart team fell into last place. They both finally were torn out of the contraption and charged onwards across the grassland. Bon-Bon and Little Strongheart had left small parts of fur behind on the harnesses.

Neighagra Falls, the greatest and tallest waterfalls in Equestria. The roar and torrent of water was deafeningly, as gallons of water cascaded down the waterfall at breakneck speed. There was a haze of white vapour in which a small rainbow reflects in the vapours that stream up. The next obstacle was the waterfalls. Everypony had run several miles and had become fatigued, their hooves were weak and their speed had slowed to a steady jog. They had only a little further to go until she could rest; Fillydelphia was the last location until the free-for-all race. But before that, everypony had to cross the falls.

Applejack had made up for the lost time Rainbow Dash getting lost in the desert and was the first to come to a rest. Her legs ached, and she took a few minutes to compose herself. The waterfall’s had several layers to them and a plunge into the water would mean certain doom them all. Applejack glanced over to the side to see a familiar pegasus who dabbed her hoof in the water.

“Hurricane? What in Equestria are you doin’ here? Shouldn't you be in Fillydelphia by now.”

“Ah? Aaah!” Hurricane seemed stunned and quickly turned around. “Nothing, I’m doing nothing at all.” She lied.

“Yer not cheatin’ by any chance are ya?” Applejack gave Hurricane a nasty look.

Hurricane sighed, “alright you caught me... I came here to get over my fear of water. It’s a superstitious thing. It’s why I never fly over the lakes or rivers,” she sighed in disappointment of herself. “It’s also why I never turn up for my duty as a whether pegasus either. I mean who likes the rain? Uhrh... you tell anypony, especially Rainbow Dash, and you’re dead!” Hurricane grunted, she hated others to know of her weaknesses and dabbed her hoof into the water again. The cold temperature of the stream made her body shiver.

The only way to cross the fast-flowing stream was a small set a stepping stones which littered the water. Applejack approached slowly, she planned her route across in a cold sweat. A fall would mean she’d be dragged through the water and off the edge, down the waterfall and into the pointed rocks below, a feat nopony could survive.

She jumped across the stepping stones with relative ease, Applejack’s balance was unrivalled. She bounced across the stepping stones above the stream. The waterfalls raged above her, spraying her with water vapour, Applejack welcomed it however as it cooled her down. Applejack wobbled on the last stepping stone but then regained her balance and dived safely to the opposite embankment. That was easy, she thought. Then she turned back.

She watched Hurricane jump onto the first stone. Her wings helped with the jump slightly, but Hurricane was never the best of flyers. All four hooves were clenched together in fear of the water around her.

“C’mon Hurricane, you can make it.” Applejack said and beckoned the pegasus with her hoof.

“Damnit!” Hurricane cursed as she wobbled on the stone. “Shit! Noooo...”

Splash!

Water pressed against her face and lungs. The waves crashed against her body and made it impossible to swim. Like several giant arms the waves dragged her under, they forced her to hold her breath and kept her head down, she couldn’t even shout for help.

“I can’t swim,” Applejack confessed as she galloped across the embankment. She couldn’t jump in, or else she’d be trapped in the water as well. Applejack looked around for a way to help; at the end of the embankment was a tree. Applejack pressed her hooves hard against the ground in a mad dash toward it. She used her teeth to snap one of the hanging vines and began to lasso it around with all her might. Hurricane was coming down the stream fast... she only had one chance.

The vine lassoed around Hurricane, she grabbed the vine, closed her eyes and descended off the edge of the waterfall.

The vine pulled taut and Applejack nearly fell into the water as well when the full brunt of Hurricane’s weight caught on it. Applejack held the vine with all her might, the vine burnt her hooves as it slid through her hooves. Her teeth gritted together tightly, sweat dropped from her brow. Even Hurricane’s burly body couldn’t survive this, to let go would mean she would die.

“Ahhhh! Darn tootin’!” Applejack cursed. She couldn’t hold it.

“Just drop me...” Hurricane grunted, the waters were on her wings now, they made them heavy, her drenched body made it impossible for her to just fly away. Her worst fear would be her downfall. The vine began to tear in the middle, where the strain was the worst. It tore.

Snap!

Hurricane’s gut sank from the sensation of falling. She tumbled backward through the air; the water stopped her from spray of water pushed her down even quicker than she anticipated. She was halfway down when her body disappeared into the torrent of water.

Applejack eyes scanned every inch of enraged waters. Her hopes were that Hurricane could catch the wind, she could just fly away. After several minutes, Applejack’s hope faded...

Strooooom!

Applejack shielded her eyes as a sonic rainboom covered her vision. The explosion ripped through the waterfalls and caused them to cease flowing for just a second. Hurricane in the hooves of Rainbow Dash jetted up into the air.

“You saved me... even after everything I did to you and Derp.” Hurricane said and breathed heavily, death was too near the extreme end for her to handle. Rainbow Dash landed safely on the ground and Hurricane plonked onto the ground, thankful to be alive.

“But there’s one thing you forgot... sonic rainboom’s are illegal in this race.” Applejack reminded her friend. With all this drama she had nearly forgot she was in a race.

“Shouldn’t matter, I’m not the one racing. I won’t count. Shouldn’t you still be racing?” Rainbow Dash replied, she was extremely tired, made clear by the black lines beneath her bloodshot eyes.

“Right! I’d better get goin’.” Applejack said to herself and ran ahead. Due to Applejack’s little escapade Braeburn had steamed ahead. They had raced all night, nearly for a full day. There was only a little farther to go before they could all rest. Applejack and Braeburn charged up a hilltop as ponies from across the world had come to cheer them on; they stood behind picket lines and cheered wildly.

“I’d better get goin’.” Applejack said to herself and ran ahead. Due to Applejack’s little escapade Braeburn had steamed ahead. They had raced all night, nearly for a full day. There was only a little farther to go before they could all rest. Applejack and Braeburn charged up a hilltop as ponies from across the world had come to cheer them on; they stood behind picket lines and cheered wildly.

Applejack was in the lead, then Braeburn, then Applejack; the two relatives crossed the finish-line. It was neck-and-neck; it came down to the nose.

“Yes! Braeburn, nice one!” Hurricane’s voice called out, Rainbow Dash and Hurricane landed together to greet their partners. Hurricane rushed up to her partner and bashed him in the stomach.

“Yay Applejack! Yay Rainbow Dash!” Derpy had also arrived to greet them both. The other earth ponies were not far behind. Little Strongheart was third, Bon-Bon was fourth and Zecora came in last place despite her best effort.

“Phew,” Braeburn breathed a belated sigh of relief.

Ms. Hollow appeared out of the shadows of the night and stood beside Little Strongheart. “Well done everypony, well done indeed, the race will now take a hiatus until tomorrow evening, where the final race will take place.” She held a hoof to her earpiece and got another stream of information.

“Applejack, you came second,” Rainbow Dash offered her hoof to help her friend up.

“Ye sound disappointed,” Applejack replied.

“Nah, as long as we can still win.” Rainbow Dash said and yawned.

“Good going Rainbow Dash, you caught up pretty quickly. They might be a place for you in the Wonderbolts yet. Spitfire said as she nudged Rainbow Dash. Together all the ponies gathered upon the hilltop. Midnight had drawn in and its only a small trek to Fillydelphia.

Little Strongheart was third, Bon-Bon was fourth and Zecora came in last place despite her best effort.

‘Braeburn - Hurricane: 9 Points
‘Little Strongheart - Spitfire: 8 Points
‘Bon-Bon - Derpy: 5 Points
‘Applejack - Rainbow Dash: 5 Points
‘Zecora - Comet: 3 Points

The race was over for now; everypony was allowed a break before the final race back to Appleloosa. Hopefully they could find a place a stay in Fillydelphia. Most of the ponies were out of breath all they decided to march together.

“Somepony really is cheating. I had glue on my harness!” Little Strongheart mumbled in anger.

“Itching powder... and now glue?! What kind of low pony would do such a thing?” Bon-Bon leisurely trotted to join everypony.

“Ye’ really think it’s my partner Hurricane is the one cheatin’?” Braeburn whispered with Little Strongheart, Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

“I saw her at Neighagra Falls, she was doin’ somethin’ to the water. She nearly got herself killed” Applejack replied.

“Hurricane has to be the one cheating; she’s climbed to the top of the leaderboards too quickly. I know she’s with Spitfire an’ all but have you seen Hurricane? She’s not exactly the best of flyers. Besides, she and Braeburn are the only ones not to be affected by the cheating.” Little Strongheart spoke out.

“Not cheating, sabotaging.” Ms. Hollow suddenly appeared from out of the darkness, she overheard their conversation and her eyes gleamed. “We’ll work out all this sabotaging business when the last race has finished.”

Aside from the main group, Rainbow Dash and Comet met on the zenith of the hill. Fillydelphia sparkled in the distance between them.

“We won’t be racing Rainby,” Comet explained, “even if we win the next race and get the maximum five points we can’t win.”

“It’s my fault, if I hadn’t of got caught in the desert, you’d still have a chance of winning.” Rainbow Dash didn’t know what to say.

“It’s fine,” Comet paused to think, “I... actually enjoyed our time together. It was worth it.” He smiled.

“Is this goodbye?” Rainbow Dash grunted.

“Well, I am part of the Fillydelphia division of the Wonderbolts.” Comet reminded Rainbow Dash with a coy grin and turned his neck to the lit-up town on the horizon. “That’s my home.”

Race Three: Fillydelphia – Appleloosa

“Fillydelphia, the city by the sea. With docks housing many merchant ships which sail for uncharted land across the Silver Sea.” Hollow explained to everypony, as they all came to a halt just outside the city.

It was a bright coastal city which glimmers in the moonlight. The city itself had a large river that streamed through it. The city was divided into sections via this river which were all connected with several dozen bridges. They were many wooden docks are, huge brigand and pirate ships sailed through the ocean across from the Silver Coast. The waves of the salt-water ocean crashed on the pointed the rocks. The most striking feature of the city was the large crystal affixed upward on an onyx tower in the centre of the city, the entire city seemed to be based around this onyx tower which had a huge copper bell within it. Lanterns upon lampposts made the city shine, and sparkle against the sea that accommodates it. All the buildings in Fillydelphia were made of White Coral, a substance from the ocean which was pure-white in colour and didn't reflect the sun.

Everypony broke off from the group to explore the city and rest until the evening. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were hit with a sea salty breeze the minute they entered the down. They explored the lower levels of the city together. It was filled with market stalls and eccentric ponies that tried to trade everything from fish to fob watches.

“Markets of fish everywhere, gross!” Rainbow Dash gagged as the beady eyes of the fish watched her from the market stalls.

Two blue eyes scowled in the shadows of the market stalls. Something bright sparkled on the fillies head. A third walkie-talkie in hoof she spoke into it. “Why did I have to be the one to be surrounded with stinky fish?!” The snooty voice complained and stomped a hoof. Another voice giggled from the other end of the walkie-talkie before they replied: “Just continue with the plan, you’ll need salt water.”

The copper bell of Fillydelphia chimed seven in the morning. Rainbow Dash and Applejack headed to a nearby hotel along the coast, fifty stories tall.

Rainbow Dash collapsed on the bed and snuggled down into the aquamarine covers. Applejack hung her hooves over the window. She smiled as she watched a pirate ship sail through the ocean below. They could hear the waves from here, it felt like they were on holiday. I should bring Apple Bloom and her friends here for the summer holidays, Applejack thought. The beach below seemed like a nice place to relax for awhile. The ocean waves enchanted Applejack, she had seen it before once, when she stayed with Aunt and Uncle Orange in Manehattan.

“Well Rainbow Dash, there’s one final race. The free-for-all, a straight race back t' Appleloosa. The team to get both their partners over the line will win the last five points. The only way we can win is by getting all five points. Then we’ll officially be the fastest ponies in Equestria.” Applejack said as she turned from the window.

“Yeah...” Rainbow Dash mumbled under a yawn and snuggled in the hotel bed with aquamarine bedclothes.

“Just as long as there’s no cheating.” Applejack said to herself before using her hoof to shut the window and jumped in the bed opposite her Rainbow Dash’s. Both ponies soundly slept through the morning hours.

Red mist covered her vision. Applejack blinked several times but her vision remained blurry, a haze tainted her eyesight. Vines and tree roots curled along the floor and pulsated like poisoned red arteries. When the mist bated, she saw that she was stood in a graveyard. They were several withering graves, marked by the tears of guilt of everypony who came to mourn. Every time she turned around, a foreboding silence was all that greeted her. Several of the graves had names on them, several names that she knew and several more that she did not. They were graves here with the names of her all best friends, now only the cold stone remembered them.

As she walked down the lofty path of death, Applejack approached two taller gravestones side-by-side, they stood silently, infront of a white chariot. They didn’t have names on them, yet she knew, she felt it inside her very bones... these gravestones belonged to her parents.

A whisper screeched out to her from the red mist:


It took her a few moments to realise that it was the voice of Ms. Hollow that spoke those words. A gate? Could it really be?

She suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of pain, the pain of having to raise Apple Bloom on her own. The sky abandoned her, the moon darkened and the clouds evaporated, the centuries old cemetery seeped into an inky blackness.

Before it all faded away, Applejack turned to look over her shoulder, a fresh chill ran down her spine. Hollow was stood, covered in fresh lines of red blood. Hollow hummed a haunting tune to herself and swayed steadily. Her swaying reminded Applejack of all the times her parents had held in their hooves and swayed her in time to the music. Hollow’s eyes were dilated white and the necklace around her neck shone bright red. Applejack never believed she was psychic, but this felt too real to be just a dream.

“Soon you will rest in this place—”

Applejack jolted out of the aquamarine bedclothes and rolled across the floor until her head met with the wall. She wiped the cold sweat from her brow and mouth. For a minute she had forgotten where she was, where she had fallen asleep. Then the warm rays of the sun greeted her from the window on the wall and she could relax on the floor of the hotel. It was just a dream... it was just a dream...

“Thank goodness,” she cried out in relief.

The coastal town of Fillydelphia was in an harmonious uproar, the streets were filled with crowds that cheered. This was the final and decisive race of the Equestrian Five-Hundred. Everypony, after an uneventful sleep were regenerated and filled with energy. They were several decorations all around the city, the Equestrian Five-Hundred was a more prestigious event then everypony first realised. Derpy hammered a nail into a nearby building and flew down to greet her friend Rainbow Dash.

“Hey Rainbow Dash, look at the sign I helped make!” Derpy giggled, and pointed upward. There was a banner across the Fillydelphia gate which read: ‘Cross-Country Race’.

“Uhm... Derpy,” Rainbow Dash scratched her head. “Country has an O in it.”

Everypony was ready and raring to go, however some were more raring than others... Rainbow Dash slipped away from the noise and bustling of the crowds. She flew across the city to meet Comet who waited beneath the Fillydelphia clock tower.

“Thanks for everything Comet. Is this goodbye?” Rainbow Dash said with a pout. She had to race, she had to continue.

“‘Till the next time, there will be a next time, right Rainby?” Comet replied.

“Yes!” Rainbow Dash said overenthusiastically, “but only on one condition: you stop calling me Rainby.” She joked and the two pegasi shared in a hug. Rainbow Dash took flight toward the starting-line and Comet waved her away shyly.

The racers had all gathered on the starting-line, Applejack with Rainbow Dash, Braeburn with Hurricane, Bon-Bon with Derpy and Little Strongheart with Spitfire. This was a fresh start, everypony started from the same spot again. The first team to get both ponies across would win the final five points and claim the title as the fastest ponies in Equestria. Hollow stepped forward with another chequered flag.

“Go!”

The chequered flag was raised and all ten ponies charged from the starting line. A trail of dust left in their wake. They bounced across the grasslands of Fillydelphia, across hilltops and shallow rivers, through silent camps of bandits and through the might of Equestria.

They arrived at Dodge Junction. It wasn’t a stopping point, but the race had the pass through the small outpost. Many ponies there held out cans of water for the ponies to pour on themselves and cool down. In the lead from Dodge Junction were Applejack and Little Strongheart.

“Don’t think because you helped us that one time, I’m going to go easy on your hide.” Little Strongheart said as she raced alongside Applejack.

“I wouldn’t want it any other way, sugarcube.” Applejack replied, they both had determined looks upon their faces. Behind them Hurricane and Rainbow Dash bash against each other in a hasty rush they roll through the sky alongside each other. Through the clouds of Dodge Junction they tumble through the air. They crashed down the barren landscape and both continued to run on hooves.

It seemed like an eternity since they were last here in the desert. Rainbow Dash blasted forward as fast as her wings could fly, as fast as her heart could take. Spitfire with a trail of smoke behind her blasted through the air. Rainbow Dash with a trail of a rainbow curled around Spitfire. The air exploded around them as all the pagasi shot through the skies.

They continued to race across the yellowish land. Brown brushes waved in the wind, they brush past any fast speed tumbleweeds out of their path.

But this time the race had been sabotaged beyond any doubt. Pools of quicksand puddles had being placed all across the barren landscapes of Appleloosa. The race seemed to come to a halt as Braeburn and Applejack had become trapped. The quicksand dragged them down, the more they seemed to pull and further they sank.

To their surprise, nopony helped them help but continued to race.

“Look’s like this is it cuz,” Braeburn thought those would be his last words. But just as his head sank into the sand a grey hoof grabbed his own. Helped arrived in the form of Derpy, who kindly helped the ponies. She pulled Braeburn out first and used her wings to get the power to push him out of the gaping maw of the sand.

“Thanking ye,” Braeburn said with a smile.

“No problem,” Derpy saluted.

“Applejack, grab the rope!” Braeburn lassoed a rope over to her. She grabbed it and continued to sink, Derpy managed to gain enough power to drag Applejack out. Her entire body was capped in wet sand. Derpy wasn’t bothered about winning the race at all, she was just in it for the adventure, but never had she wandered so far from Ponyville before.

Because they were pulled to safety, they lagged behind all the rest. The race was surely over for them. Nevertheless, they didn’t stop. Alongside Derpy they head to the final finish-line, each of them hoped it wasn’t too late.

In Appleloosa, hundreds of ponies had gathered at the final finish-line.

Sunny Rain the cream-coloured news reporter brushed her light-blue mane out of her eyes. She was remarkably calm for all the excitement of the race going on around her. She wore a large pair of technical headphones on her head.

“This is P & E News reporting from the backwater town of Appleloosa. You join us today at the thrilling climax of the Equestria Five-Hundred. At this moment in time we have no reports that ponies have died, although it is most likely that some may have across the dangerous and unforgiving countryside."

"Whoo!" The camera shot was invaded by an excited bystander. Sunny Rain merely blinked and continued regardless...

"While the winners will receive ultimate fame and glory the losers will face merciless shame for the rest of their known lives. As you can see, the racers are fast approaching the finish line, we'll be sure to capture the winners LIVE. This is Sunny Rain, P & E News.”

Sunny Rain was pushed out of the way by several excited bystanders.

Rainbow Dash and Spitfire charged through the air to the finish, both ponies tired as they crossed the finish-line they are quickly handed reefs to place around their head. But their victory need not matter, as it is their earth pony partners who trail behind which will seal the fate of the fastest ponies in Equestria.

Rainbow Dash was a spectator now and cheered on Applejack from the finish-line as the other ponies’ race to Appleloosa, their hooves tired and blisters had formed on the central sulcus of their hooves. But they pushed through the pain barrier. Hurricane, Little Strongheart and Applejack raced alongside each other.

Hurricane descended through the sky to join Applejack on the ground, she flew alongside the athlete. “Hey Applejack, look over there, psyche!” Applejack looked and Hurricane pushed her over with a laugh, that sent Applejack rolling into a pile of dust. Applejack groaned and got up to continue, but realised it was too late; Little Strongheart had already crossed the line, putting her and Spitfire in first place.

Applejack didn’t stop; she dashed straight past Hurricane and made a nasty face at the pegasus as they crossed the line together.

“Second is Applejack and third place was Hurricane,” Hollow declared. Rainbow Dash and Applejack cheered loudly, they were second, but it wasn’t enough to win. Hurricane collapsed with a belated breathe for air. Bon-Bon came in last place but was welcomed with open-hooves by Derpy. The final results are written on the blackboard at Appleloosa:

‘Little Strongheart - Spitfire: 13 Points
‘Braeburn - Hurricane: 12 Points
‘Applejack - Rainbow Dash: 9 Points
‘Bon-Bon - Derpy: 7 Points

“I declare that the winners of the Equestria Five-Hundred to be none other than Spitfire and Little Strongheart.” Hollow announced on the stage through a microphone. All attention is drawn to Little Strongheart and Spitfire as they are lifted up by the buffaloes to soak up the glory. Sunny Sky rushed towards them with a microphone to try and get an interview. Cameras flash every direction to take pictures of the fastest ponies in Equestria. Everypony seemed relieved it was finally over. But there was outrage at the finish-line, everypony shouted words of hate to each other.

“Tain't fair,” Braeburn stammered for air, “some foal was cheatin’ for the whole race.”

“It wasn’t a fair race; the results don’t reflect the true winners.” Bon-Bon retorted.

“Hurricane is the cheat!” Rainbow Dash accused her rival; she had supposedly worked it all out. Hurricane landed infront of Rainbow Dash with a thud and growled directly in her face.

“It’s Zecora; she was the one who found the itching powder.” Another placed the blame, suddenly all ten racers come to gather infront of the Appleloosa clock tower once more, after racing five-hundred miles they still had the energy to argue.

“You want to know who I think is the cheat...” Hurricane pauses backed into a corner, “You! Ms. Hollow.” Hurricane points as the mysterious Ms. Hollow as she stepped out of the darkness her eye gleamed in the shadows of the tall tower.

“You are the only pony who had access to all the races and all the teams, the host of the race is the cheat! This whole race was a clever trap set by you. You were trying to get us all killed.” Everypony turns to look at the silent Ms. Hollow, the scarlet psychic pony waves a hoof,

“You have the wrong filly,” Hollow replied and laughed pettily.

“Pegasi shit!” Hurricane cursed angrily.

“You’ve been messin’ ‘round with that earpiece of yours for two days now.” Applejack pointed at Hollow’s ear.

Hollow retrieved a nasty laugh. “This thing? This earpiece is it what I wore to know where everypony was. To keep track of you all, so if you were in danger I could say the word and the Wonderbolts would be dispatched to save you. This earpiece is the reason why Rainbow Dash was saved by Comet in the first place.”

“It’s true,” Spitfire confirmed it.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash slipped away from the discord of angry voices. Something reflected the sunlight in Rainbow Dash’s eye; it caused her to look over.

“Hey wait, everypony stop!” Rainbow Dash shouted. That shut them all up. As everypony stopped still for a moment, Rainbow Dash pointed to another empty can of itching powder that reflected the sun. “Over there!” All eight racers looked in her direction; in uproar they chased the real culprit. They followed a trail of itching powder. Applejack kicked over three barrels to find they were three little fillies inside...

“What!?” Everypony shouted together. Apple Bloom, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon all fell out of the three barrels, each of the three fillies held walkie-talkies in their hooves.

“You sabotaged the races?” Even Hollow was surprised.

“Wait just darn a minute...” Applejack marched up to her little sister with a stern face, was it possible her little sister did all this? “Apple Bloom, is this true?”

Apple Bloom itched her nose and sneezed before she answered.

“Yeah... it’s true.” She said and smiled awkwardly up at all eight ponies. “I just, I didn’t want you to go Applejack, I wanted to spend more time with you during the summer holidays. So I asked for their help and we followed you. I was in Appleloosa, Silver Spoon in Cloudsdale and Diamond Tiara was in Fillydelphia. We got the itching powder and the glue from the school, and to make the quicksand we only needed the saltwater of the ocean.”

“Apple Bloom you put us all in danger!” Applejack shouted in anger, she was angrier than ever. “You are so grounded little missy. When we get back to Sweet Apple Acres you’re gonna get punish—

“Ahh! Silver Spoon, you got itching powder in my fur!” Apple Bloom complained and itched her head wildly.

“At least you don’t smell like a fish,” Diamond Tiara retorted and stuck her tongue out in disgust. When Diamond Tiara got up she dragged Silver Spoon with her, the two fillies were to be glued together.

Applejack wanted to scold her little sister who cowered in a corner, but now she couldn’t help but smile.

“Looks like they got their just desserts,” Hurricane said with a nasty chuckle.

"Well don't we all look foolish?" Applejack turned to everypony else.

“You know, we were all too busy placin’ the blame on each other that we forgot to have fun.” Little Strongheart said and looked down to the sand.

They had gotten so hot and flustered over who would win the race, and who was cheating, they hadn't realised just what a world adventure they had all been on. This was an adventure they had enjoyed as one. Braeburn triggered a wave of laughter from all ten ponies, and soon everypony couldn’t help but laugh uncontrollably including Apple Bloom, Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara.

“You travelled the world alone?” Applejack asked Apple Bloom.

“Yeh! Am not a baby anymore.” Apple Bloom said and showed everypony her cutie mark. Apple Bloom was grown up and Applejack had to accept that now.

“Wait, how did youse three get to Appleloosa before us?” Hurricane questioned the three fillies.

“We used the Appleloosa Express, you know, the one the stallions pull? It’s faster than a hot air balloon you know.” Diamond Tiara replied cockily.

Applejack turned to Rainbow Dash.

“Well Rainbow Dash, we didn't win but we gave it our all." Applejack shared in a hoof bump with Rainbow Dash.

“You know... for once I don’t think I’m bothered. I met Comet, he was worth losing for.” Rainbow Dash replied.

“Rainbow Dash is in love, Rainbow Dash is in love!” Apple Bloom and Silver Spoon sang in unison and danced around her.

“Am not!” Rainbow Dash retorted childishly but couldn’t help to blush slightly.

That night the racers all gathered around a campfire, the crickets chirped and the owls hooted. The stars were like diamonds on black velvet and twinkling in the peaceful sky above. As the Equestria Five-Hundred came to a close in Appleloosa, the warmth from the campfire brought them all together. Someponies even roasted marshmallows on sticks. Apple Bloom, free from the itching, cuddled up to her older sister. Rainbow Dash wore a cowgirl hat and sunglasses as she laid beside the fire. Derpy sat and fed herself marshmallows. Little Strongheart was reunited with Chief Thunderhooves. They all shared in their tales of their part in the race. It had been quite the world adventure, they had seen sights they had never seen before and most importantly, they had made friends from all over Equestria. The smoke from the campfire hurled up into the air as the laughter continued into the early hours of the night.

Afterward...

All the others, including Apple Bloom, had made their own way home. Ms. Hollow, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were the only ones to have remained here and were still gathered around the campfire. They enjoyed the cosy fire after the race and rested their hooves after a couple of long days. Each pony was memorized by the fire as the flames dance and crackle while burning through the wooden logs.

Hollow sighed happily and leaned back. She stared up at the waning gibbous moon above them.

“Hmm, it’s a full moon tomorrow.” She said to herself and looked up at the stars. A cold breeze blew through the camp, Hollow’s necklace tinkled in the wind, then it neck illuminated bright red. Hollow’s body stiffened up and her eyes dilated to white.

“You have to leave...” Ms. Hollow whimpered under her breath, she turned to face her new friends.

“What’s that now sugarcube?” Applejack sat up.

“You must leave... you don’t want to be here, tomorrow.” Hollow said, images flashed through her eyes. Her head twitched as she watched the events to what is to come.

“Why? Whut happens tomorrow?” Rainbow Dash did a spin in the air.

“The gate... it is opening. Right now. Can’t you hear it?” Hollow paused to shed a salty tear.

Suddenly the campfire extinguished itself and the air grew eerie. Rainbow Dash took off her cowgirl hat and sunglasses, her mouth gaped open slightly. Applejack suddenly got a cold shiver down her back. Applejack didn’t believe in all this black voodoo... but now she began to second guess herself. Hollow approached them as she gets the vision.

“Rainbow Dash, you have forgotten the letter. Whatever happens, you mustn’t read it.” Both of the ponies listen to psychic pony intently, salty tears stream from the scarlet ponies’ eyes; it seemed painful to receive such a vision.

“In the future I can see the blackest of darkness’s... one born from the moon, one pony-kind has faced before; returning to vanquish all past sins,” she whispered in her vision.

“Darkness... darkness, darkness!” Hollow repeated over and over again, her hooves shook with both fear and from the cold air around them.

“I think that’s our warning. Let’s head home. Ponyville might be in peril.” Applejack said and nodded to Rainbow Dash.

“Right!”

“Thank ya for everything, Hollow.” Applejack tipped her hat. Rainbow Dash took flight and Applejack followed her closely behind. They jump into the basket of the hot air balloon. The engine stirred and fire rages from the pilot light.

The visioness Hollow watched the friends sail back to Ponyville.

“Woe to Ponyville, Woe to all Equestria. Its darkest hour is nigh. Indeed, the oldest adversary of all ponies... is returning."

To...
Be...
Continued...


My Little Pony: Time is Forever™ will return...
Soon...
With the midseason finale...

‘Equestria’s darkest hour is nigh.’

Notes:
Did you follow the clues, do you know what’s behind the gate? This is your last chance to decipher them.
Fillydelphia is only mentioned and not seen in the actual show, I tried to make Fillydelphia look the way Philadelphia does in real life: near the coast with the bell tower and the river running through it. I decided to create my own version of it based on the image from the official world map.
Ms. Hollow does have a first name, but it’s a secret.
A recurring joke with OC's is that there are only there to get into bed with the mane six, hence Comet's joke about packing only one bed.
It should be noted that in the original draft of this episode Hurricane died at Neighagra Falls. This was meant to be her last episode. She becomes too useful as a character in later episodes to kill now.
Ace Swift and the Equestrian Five-Hundred are both inspired from another fimfic named Turnabout Storm.