• Published 26th Jun 2013
  • 553 Views, 6 Comments

The Pegasus Miracle - Clepto



A tragic event that hospitalizes Rainbow Dash could be just what she needs to find what she really wants.

  • ...
5
 6
 553

Tryouts

Today was the day, the day that Rainbow Dash was finally going to become a Wonderbolt. Her whole life she had dreamt of this. She was most likely the single greatest Wonderbolts fan in history. From posters in her room to action figures on her shelves, she lived her life to become one. Now she finally had her shot.

The tryouts were today, and she had been training all month. Coming up with new techniques, as well as perfecting old ones. She’d mastered things that were once thought to be impossible, and broken records that even some of the current members of the Wonderbolts could only hope to achieve.

Even still, with all of her preparations, she was still nervous. There was always that small chance that she just wouldn’t be good enough. She was never very good with handling denial throughout her life. When her parents didn’t accept her lifestyles, she ran away and started a new life in Ponyville. She hasn’t spoken to her parents since; afraid of what they would say to her. Rejection was just something that Rainbow Dash, the most awesome pegasus in Equestria, couldn’t handle.

Her new tricks and abilities were sure to blow the minds of everypony at the tryouts. They would probably just ask her to be a Wonderbolt right then, without a second thought. She was especially proud of one new trick she called “the Super Swirling Pony”, which involved continuous 360 degree rotations while spiraling towards the ground, and just before she met her impending doom, launching straight back up into the air as a double layered trail of rainbow was left behind her.

Her friends were also very supportive of her and her efforts. They always watched her practice and gave their honest opinions of her tricks. It helped her to know that her friends were there for her through the whole thing. Though it was unlikely that any of them knew how much this really mattered to her.

The time has finally come for her to perform. She kind of zoned out while she was in the waiting line. Thinking of all the ways that her routine could go wrong, and all the harsh words of disappointment Spitfire would say to her. She was sure she wouldn’t succeed in the tryouts and would be denied of her dream.

“Next contestant! Rainbow Dash, it’s your turn to go!” The pony running the tryouts yelled, snapping Rainbow Dash out of her pre-performance trance. She began her walk to the take off area. What was only a short few seconds seemed like an eternity to the cyan pegasus.

She looked out into the great abyss that was the sky, not a single cloud in sight. For a moment she entertained the idea of just walking away from the whole situation, saving herself the embarrassment of a failed routine.

Shaking off any negative thoughts, she slowly flapped her wings and began her ascension into the sky. She was now hundreds of feet above the take off pad; this was the point at which she completely zoned out. This high up, there was no one, nothing but her and the sharp wind blowing in her mane. This is where she felt that she could let everything go, no matter how trivial or monumental it was; she was truly at peace with the world.

Then she caught a glimpse of the Wonderbolts captain, Spitfire, just staring at her, waiting for something to happen. This made something click in her brain, and she suddenly zoomed forward, almost instantly reaching the speed of sound. She had honed her body and moves to be so aerodynamic that she could accelerate faster than any other pegasus alive.

She was starting to feel the vapor cone forming around her body, this was what always happened as she reached this speed. She could feel the pressure getting higher and higher as she her speed continued to rise. There was a sort of wall at the end though, and she could tell it was close. She knew that the time was right, and so she increased again in velocity and ripped through the sound barrier, emitting a sonic boom that echoed almost endlessly.

A marvelous display of every color of the rainbow could be seen trailing her. This, combined with the boom, were the result of her signature move, “the Sonic Rainboom”. However, this was only the beginning of her performance; many people had thought that this was the most impressive thing a pony could do in terms of flying. Unsurprisingly, Rainbow Dash was determined to push the limits and do something even more incredible.

One of the tricks she had been working on was sure to top this. It was a combination trick of sorts. Every trick she had ever done became more impressive at higher speeds... this one was no different. She had devised a plan to take several of her tricks and combine them into one. She had mastered doing this at regular, slower speeds, but still had never tested it while slicing through the air at supersonic speeds. She never really got a chance to, the residents of Ponyville usually weren’t happy when a boom that loud exploded right over their homes with zero warning.

Then again, she was Rainbow Dash, so it was sure to work, even without practice. She began with some simple tricks, doing flips and barrel rolls here and there. It was very impressive at this speed, but she still needed to kick it up a notch. As she was reaching the edge of the flight zone, she snapped a sharp 180 degree turn, hardly losing any speed.

Now flying in the opposite direction, she had a good amount of space between her and the adjacent end of the flight zone. It was the perfect amount of space to do just what she was bound and determined to. She increased her speed even further, to the point where it felt like her wings were simply going to fall off.

When she was about halfway to the end of the area, she suddenly folded her wings in, and fell to the ground. Still moving at supersonic speeds, she began a constant full rotation. Then she added in a constant backflip, and as the icing on the cake, she closed her eyes.

She thought that perhaps if her eyes were closed, it would shock the Wonderbolts that she still managed to pull all of this off. Right as she was about to become a rainbow colored pancake on the ground, she shot back up into the air, quickly gaining any lost speed back.

Heading towards the landing pad, she decided not to lower her speed, and stick a sudden and complete landing. As she used her great speed and momentum to perform several frontflips, she didn’t realize how close she was getting to the ground.

Rainbow Dash suddenly smashed into the ground, even cracking the hard cement. She had, after making herself appear as a perfectionist in the air, botched the landing.

She got up and walked over to the bench for contestants who had finished their routine. She sat down and stared into that great abyss once again, with a look of absolute fear in her eyes. She was convinced that she had failed... now she was just waiting to hear it.