• Published 19th Jun 2013
  • 915 Views, 46 Comments

The Chase - Gabriel LaVedier



Sheriff Silverstar and his affair with Cactus Blossom comes to a head.

  • ...
4
 46
 915

The Thunder Rolls

The trains to and from Appleoosa ran on time, thanks to careful land and rail management by the local buffalo, some of whom worked as pullers on the locomotives to supplement the usual earth ponies. All had the sustained long-distance stamina for the job. They kept the lines moving along and ensured a steady flow of citizens and goods into and out of what had once been a minor spot on a map. No matter the weather or time, there was usually something happening at the station.

The late night passenger line pulled into the station for the change of pullers, a quick inspection and the offloading of passengers, despite the powerful rain. It was a real torrent, coming down in punishing sheets that made the work miserable. At least there weren't that many passengers to be annoyed by it. There was just a small collection, including two who lingered on the platform under an awning after passing through a bit of the shower.

“It was very kind of you to take me out again,” Cactus Blossom the cafe au lait buffalo cow said, looking slightly down, “I do love to see so much of Equestria. It is so... vast! So varied and... wonderful.”

“It's a fine thing, darlin'. But ain't half so wonderful as you,” Sheriff Silverstar replied, leaning in to press against Cactus Blossom. They were in familiar territory again, but the mustachioed stallion knew there would be no stragglers in the torrent and the train folk would be on their way out. “This here rain is sure somethin', ain't it? Always seems ta come in heavy now and then.”

Cactus had been blushing heavily at the compliment, looking away from Silverstar before turning to him again at the conversation about the weather. “It is as it always has been. On the prairie it is typical to see such forceful showers, but seldom with such focus and precision. Our shamans could call the clouds reliably but they moved as they would. Now with pegasi we can work in harmony to give life to this land.”

“Yea. We surely can work together,” Silverstar noted, stretching out his drawl while snuggling Cactus against his chest again, while pressing a kiss on her neck. He filled his senses with the scent of her fur. The heavy coats of buffalo caught scents well, and most had become self-conscious about it. Cactus smelled like the powder fragrance made for buffalo, appropriately in the scent of cactus flower. Beneath, however, was the subtle musk of buffalo. He had become very familiar with that scent, and it was as entrancing as the powder fragrance.

Cactus let out a soft laugh, allowing herself to savor the close contact, and even return the snuggling press before firmly pushing Silverstar away. “Please... we are here. Even if none can see... they could. Let us part here.”

Silverstar nodded slowly and quickly leaned in for a soft kiss against Cactus' lips. “Alright, darlin'. We'll have some time together sometime. Tell Morton 'howdy' fer me.”

“I will do so. Please... try to be happy until then. Do not let the circumstances of life crush you,” Cactus said, reluctantly trotting away into the concealing curtain of rain.

Silverstar stood there, watching her vanish into the dark and rainy distance, smiling as long as he could see her. As soon as she was out of sight Silverstar's face fell and he was suddenly just a lonely stallion in the rain. He sullenly adjusted his hat and trudged his way through the dark town. He didn't have to worry. His weary hooves knew the way to his home far too well.

He could pick out the stark and imposing silhouette in the dark. He knew Cordelia would not bother being up for him. She wouldn't ruin her beauty sleep just to complain and demand he do something about the latest 'outrage' by the buffalo. He opened the door and slipped into the darkness, as he ever did, shaking the water from his coat and mane before he did.

He hung his vest, bandana and hat by the door, slowly stretching his limbs. He didn't want to wake Cordelia by just falling into the bed, but after all that travel he wanted a nice bit of relaxation back in his own bed. Train beds and benches only provided so much comfort, even with Cactus there to provide some extra softness. He resolved to just sleep on the couch and deal with the repercussions in the morning.

Before he could manage to sit down on the couch, there came a soft sound, a thumping hoof step in the darkness. A match scraped and threw light across the scene, the fire soon captured in the glass of a lantern. It illuminated the pale blue of Cordelia's face and the greenish tint of her mane under her white bonnet. “You're awfully late, aren't you?”

“Ya catch the train ya catch, Cordelia,” Silverstar said, somewhat surprised but trying not to let it show, “Ah don't control that. Ah'm lucky we got in when we did what with this rain comin' up like that.”

There was a small twitch from her on hearing the word 'we' but she let it pass, the lantern coming down as she moved closer to him. “It's all those buffs again. Why do they have to do their strange rituals and call up this rain. It's as though we were livin' in the savage Everfree. At least the pegasi can somewhat manage this deluge.”

“The way of the land, Cordelia. Gotta soak that grass thanks ta the soil they got. Them pegasi help get it where it's gotta go. They work together, not against each other,” Silverstar said, with a bit of fatigue, lowering his rump onto the couch and pulling himself onto it to get comfortable.

“By all means, defend the buffs and lump about while you have a perfectly good bed,” Cordelia grumped.

“Ah'm tired, darlin'. Ya may find it a surprise but travel ain't easy,” Silverstar retorted, perhaps a bit more sharply than he intended.

“Sittin', standin', sittin' again, yes, so terrible. Perhaps you wandered about in whatever city it was that you visited this time. Honestly, I came out to this distant place from Pericarp for you. I thought it would be just like home, lots of proper country pony folks. Then that Braeburn Apple had to start... I always heard that clan was trouble back home. The old Apple homestead still isn't sold, fine land and housing empty because folks are skittish. And now, now we've got those filthy Diamond Dogs skulking in the mines!” Cordelia shouted, bringing her face closer to Silverstar's.

Silverstar was an old veteran in the art of dealing with his wife's histrionics. He didn't react, he just sighed and settled more comfortably on the couch. “We want the best we can get in them mines, they make good bits when they pump out the salt an' ore. If them Dogs coax out them goods, well dang, ah hope they like it 'round these parts an' keep marryin' up or taking themselves mares and stallions...”

“What?!” Cordelia snapped, getting in Silverstar's face. “Talkin' about those Dogs gettin' themselves mares and stallions? First you were so happy about those lecherous buffs and now this... this isn't the stallion I thought I married.”

“It's me, Cordelia. Always been me...” Silverstar muttered, backed up all the way against the back of the couch. He should never have tried her rage with an editorial truth but it had just come out. Having so recently been with Cactus it was still on his mind.

Cordelia tried to comment but was stopped by a sudden flash of lightning and the rumble of nearby thunder. She growled lightly and shook her head. “All because of those rituals. It's not right. Why not be civilized and import clouds from one of the weather factories?”

“It all costs bits, wastes the time an' effort of folks that could be doin' other things that matter more. This is how they do it here, an' we gotta respect it,” Silverstar said, rising from the couch. “I'm goin' ta bed.”

“We don't gotta respect n-” Cordelia pushed in against Silverstar with the intent of sharply castigating him, as she always did when he got too 'native.' Her nose picked up something as she pressed close to him, right near his neck and face. Something far, far too 'native.' Another flash of lightning highlighted the disgusted rage in her eyes. “You...”

Silverstar stepped back a step, then set himself firmly against the anger he could see. “What's got inta ya, Cordelia, darlin'? Why ya lookin' at me like that?”

“You... are you one of those colt cuddlin' perverts? I smell that buffalo stink on you... I smell it from those buffs when they've been through the river. Wet buff and that deodorant powder they have at the store. Was it one of those bulls? Was it a cow?! What was it?!” Cordelia's hoof almost seemed to move in slow motion as far as Silverstar was concerned, but it hit his face with all the strength of a full speed swing.

Silverstar's head followed the hoof's path, his mustache deforming, a spray of saliva coming from his mouth after the hit. “Cordelia! Calm down. It ain't worth this kinda thing!”

“You tell me, Silverstar! Which hussy was it? Which one of them tempted you away?!” She struck him in the face again, then twisted to bring up a rear leg into the side of his barrel, just below the ribs.

“Ah! C-cordelia, stop!” He was a law enforcer, he was trained to fight, against stallions or mares. But... against his wife he was helpless. Like any Equestrian male he didn't have it in him to hurt her. He could just take it. A little blood sprayed out with the saliva as the kick knocked the breath out of him.

“Was it that Little Strongheart? She can't be faithful! She's just a schemin' buff stealin' stallions! Or that Tender Blade down at the carriage rental place? The cows at the salt mill? That shameless dancer at Morton's? Tell me!” Another flash of lightning created a momentary tableau of a raging Cordelia bringing her hooves down. She struck in the blinded moment after, striking tender belly flesh and Silverstar's face again.

Silverstar grunted out, coughing and gasping, looking up at Cordelia with the slightest hint of anger. “...Name's... name's Cactus Blossom... an' she's a good cow. She ain't shameless... she's a good gal...”

That did it. Cordelia not only landed a few more blows she shoved Silverstar's prone, pained form towards the door. She roughly opened it and gave Silverstar a parting kick, sending his body tumbling out off of the porch and into the muddy streets. Another flash of lightning illuminated the angry mare. “She's so good? Then go see if she'll care about you. I don't. Not now. You shamed me, Silverstar! And I won't have it!” With that the door slammed shut, leaving the fallen stallion all alone. It opened up for a short moment, his attire being tossed out onto him

The rain fell in fat, punishing drops, making every exposed sore spot on Silverstar's body hurt all the more. His bones were fine, but the soft spots on his flesh throbbed in agony. He slowly drew himself up out of the mud, groaning softly and shaking his head to regain some focus. The downpour, while it hurt him, at least cleared the mud out of his vision and off of his coat. He laid his hat on his head and his vest across his back before she slowly made his way down the streets.

It was still dark, misty and miserable along the Appleoosan streets, but if there was one thing he knew better than the path from the train platform to his house it was the way from his house to The Salt Block. His hooves led him along, while his mind was occupied with the sheer disbelief of what had just happened. He had always known Cordelia would have been mad. But to experience it first hoof... with hooves actually involved...

He wasn't subtle when he finally arrived. He slumped down against the doors that were shut behind the swinging doors to keep the place secure at night. After a little wincing he brought one hoof up and thumped it hard against one door. After a short rest he brought the hoof up and hit it hard again. “Morton! Open up! Morton!”

It took a little while but the doors opened up, showing the bleary face of Morton the bartender. “Sheriff? Why are ya..? Oh... Oh Sheriff...”

“Morton... ah don't mean ta put ya in a spot...” Silverstar made his stumbling way through the swinging doors, aiming for the stairs to the second floor, “But ah gotta stay somewheres ah got no right ta be. It's the only place...”

“Don't gotta say anythin', Sheriff,” Morton said with some concern, closing the large doors once more and locking them securely, “Ah ain't gonna keep ya from there. You got every right ta be where yer goin'.”

There were three floors to the place. The bar and entertainment space took up the while ground floor, while just above were various unoccupied rooms used as hotel space when there were many visitors. On the very top were a few larger rooms, one for Morton and one that was normally unoccupied, but which had become Cactus Blossom's home. Even though he had been there before, Silverstar remained a gentlecolt. He knocked at the door, though he leaned slightly against the frame, calling out, “Cactus Blossom darlin'? It's me, Silverstar.”

“Silverstar? What are you doing here? You were supposed to go home to...” Cactus opened the door and gasped as she saw Silverstar's face in the glow of a firefly lantern.

“Cordelia,” Silverstar finished, making his way into the room. “I did. You were right. I never shoulda held ya that close.”

“My dear... please let me tend to you. This is terrible. And all my fault,” Cactus said, taking down a small satchel filled with herbs and ointments.

Silverstar slowly shook his head and then went still as Cactus went to work. “Weren't yer fault. It was me. Ah always knew the time would come. Ah'd have ta have her find out. Ah wanted her ta know so we could get to it. And darlin'...”

“Yes?” Cactus asked, applying poultices to the tenderized areas.

“She knows. She knows...” Silverstar said, voice trailing into silence, the only sounds remaining being the rustle of bandages, the pattering of rain and the occasional crash of violent but retreating thunder.