• Published 10th Jun 2013
  • 631 Views, 17 Comments

Everything Shall Burn - ScorpionFire



Jealous of Luna's night, Celestia plans to make everyone love her warm days once again. But it shall come at a great cost. Everything will have to burn.

  • ...
4
 17
 631

Chapter 6

“So you see, the positions of the raindrops should effectively reflect the light, and if the axis of the rain is calculated correctly, they should shine out many colours!”

Celestia turned back to Michael, who was sitting dumbfounded at all the scientific words and nonsense the elder pony was spurting. It seemed difficult, but the pay was good and Celestia had managed to put together some instructions for him and his weather team.

“Well then Your Majesty, I shall see what me and my team can do!” Michael spoke up, gathering the papers and the money that Princess Celestia had placed upon his desk.

“Do you have a specific date for when you wish us to perform such a feat?”

Celestia nodded, staring absent-mindedly out of the window. It illuminated Cloudsdale’s weather office’s gardens perfectly, even in the inky night that had been set forth into the sky. The Princess couldn’t imagine how the tough Pegasi of Cloudsdale could take the time to tend to a garden.

“I would like you to do this tomorrow, at precisely half past one. Do you think you can do it?”

Michael broke a sweat. He knew it would take his team a lot of time to perfect this ‘Rainbow’ the Princess had made, and even though they had about eleven hours to practice, he was sure his team couldn’t correctly drop the water in the right axis in the dark! It was one of the things Michael hated about the night. Less time for he and his Pegasi team to practice extravagant tricks for his customers.

“Of course, Your Majesty!” Michael bowed, edging his way towards the door.

“We shall try our best in the little time we have!”

The orange Pegasus opened the door carefully, and beckoned for Celestia to leave. His business was finished, and he now had to rewrite the instructions to something more easily understandable for his weather team. For some reason, vocabulary wasn’t very well-taught in Cloudsdale, with the Pegasi only learning necessary words they needed to get through in life. Only lucky ponies, like Michael, could afford higher education for important jobs, such as running a business in the Weather Office.

Celestia gracefully exited, and made her way to the creaky, musty smelling elevator that served as her transport to the bottom of the building. She honestly didn’t want to step in the metallic box, and her guards shared the same feelings. But they had to, or Luna would hear about it and nag about it to Celestia. Again.

Michael shut the door, sighed, and began the long task of re-writing the Princess’ instructions. It was going to be a long night, and a very tedious morning.

~

A large crowd of ponies swarmed out of the court where the meeting had taken place. After discussing ways to stop the threat, doubling security around Celestia (Or how the advisors called her, Princess Luna’s elder sister), and monitoring the upcoming Winter Moon celebration, the meeting was called off. Luna had requested the court meet again one day before the celebration to check up on all the plans they had arranged, and since there was really nothing left to do the advisors agreed.

Luna stayed perched on her black throne, flicking through state papers she had neglected for a while. While she had been planning this year’s Winter Moon celebration, Luna had neglected her royal duties, resulting in her grumbly sister taking some of the work for herself, and the rest piling up for Luna to see to. It was going to be a long night, but Luna couldn’t be bothered to heave the papers to her room to finish in privacy. No, it would take far too long for even an Alicorn of her ability to lift the pile of paper that was set before her into her room in the Lunar Tower. So she got to work.

Luna sifted through the papers specifically for her, such as invites to parties, replies from all the chefs she had employed for her celebration, order forms for the decorations she had requested, and a letter inquiring when Luna would visit Ausponyla for the trade meeting. Luna noticed that Celestia hadn’t been invited, but didn’t mind. She just wrote the reply confirming her appearance, and set the envelope aside for the mail-pony to see to.

The next batch of paperwork was logs from her treasury and other profits coming in from Equestria. Luna kept special track of those, since she always wanted money to be available to Equestria if they needed it. It took a while the scan the papers thoroughly, but Luna could see no problems with the income that was being collected from taxes. Those papers were signed and sealed, ready to be delivered to the vault for storing.

The last pile was mainly newsletters and newspapers from different towns across Equestria. Luna had asked for those to be ordered, for she liked to be informed of any small event in towns. Nothing much was happening, a few marriages and a mini-party for the Winter Moon celebration was all that was really happening. The letters were placed aside.

~

Luna looked at the large clock glowing in the corner of the court. It had only taken her two hours to do her paperwork, and it was now time to lower the moon for her ponies to rest.

Yawning loudly and stretching her elegant, cerulean wings, Luna stood up and walked towards the large balcony at the end of the room. If Celestia hadn’t already lowered the sun for her, then Luna would have to do it herself
.
‘’Tia really needs to start taking responsibility for her royal duties…’ Luna thought, staring out into the sunny horizon.

‘This is the eighteenth time I’ve had to lower the sun in her place!’

Luna took one final look to see if Celestia was on another balcony, but she could not see the familiar pink mane of her elder sister. Sighing, Luna slowly started to release her magic.

The Sun lowered very slowly, for it wasn’t comfortable or familiar with Luna’s night magic. Luna struggled to convince the sun to descend, but in the end she won. The ball of orange light reluctantly sunk down into the sky, and a white oval of light soon took its place. It didn’t take long for Luna to firmly lock the moon in place, and soon Luna trotted off to her midnight court. There was often a large crowd of ponies queuing up to propose their requests to her, and Luna never tired of listening to her little ponies’ needs.

Gracefully opening the polished onyx door, Luna stepped into her dark sapphire court. As she predicted, there was an extremely large line of ponies waiting to speak with their princess of the night. But they all seemed frightened, and angry. Luna was confused as to why they would be like that, since normally all ponies wore smiles or at least friendly faces when they came to midnight court.

‘What could have possibly made them so upset?...’

Author's Note:

I'm so sorry about the long delay! I'll try to now keep updates at least once a week!
Thank you~