• Published 10th Jun 2013
  • 630 Views, 17 Comments

Everything Shall Burn - ScorpionFire



Jealous of Luna's night, Celestia plans to make everyone love her warm days once again. But it shall come at a great cost. Everything will have to burn.

  • ...
4
 17
 630

Chapter 1

Princess Celestia stared out into the dark night. She couldn’t understand why her subjects loved it more than her beautiful day. Sure, there were the striking meteor showers, constellations, planets to spot, and the great games of hide-and-seek that could be played under the cover of night, but nopony could barely see anything on most nights. It was a struggle just to see their hoof in front of their faces. But Celestia had the sun! It made the food grow! Kept the ponies warm! Let them see the joys of the world! Why did some ponies sleep during the day, and do anything to stop the first rays of sunlight from reaching their eyes?

“Sister? What are you doing up so late? The sun has hours before it is scheduled to rise!”

Celestia turned to see her younger sister, Princess Luna. The Princess everyone seemed to adore. Compared to Celestia herself, she didn’t even look much. She was slightly smaller, with light sapphire hair with many curls, a navy coat, and her rather small crown. Celestia thought her crown was the only feature good about her, with its pearl moon symbol and sleek blue shine. It looked shamefully better than Celestia’s rather tacky-looking golden crown, even though hers had the bejewelled sun insignia embedded upon it.

“Oh… I was simply… erm...”

Celestia stumbled to find a reasonable excuse for being up this late. Normally she would go to bed and wake up early to raise the sun, not stay up to judge the night, and see what it had that her day did not. The sun princess looked quickly to the skies, picking out the first thing that came to her head.

“I was simply… admiring your constellations! They are ever so… pretty!” Celestia finished, forcing out a small smile. Luna was not so convinced by her excuse, though. Celestia normally refused to compliment Luna on what she did with her sky, contrary to the many compliments heaped upon the light-filled sky of the day.

“Really?” She said, a look of disbelief on her face. Although she was the slightly younger of the two, she had a more matured attitude, and took no nonsense.
“You have never seemed to show any signs of interest in them before.”

Princess Celestia looked back at the stars, staring enviously at the bright specks of light. She had to admit, they looked very pretty. But not so pretty they should overshadow her sun and warmth.
“Well, there’s a first time for everything…” Celestia stated blankly, eyes still sweeping across the skies.
Luna’s eyes softened slightly, and she carefully wrapped a soft blue wing around Celestia. The younger princess nuzzled her neck and looked back up to her older sister.

“Sister, there must be something on your mind, or you would have never used such a silly excuse.”
Celestia’s eyes started to cloud up slowly, trying not to show her jealously to her sister. What kind of pony would show such envy and hatred toward their own kin? Not her. She was a co-ruler of Equestria, not some jealous older sister. Besides, she could make her sky much better than Luna’s, with a little motivation and creativity.
“You can tell me anything!” Luna continued, looking hopefully at Celestia. She hated it when she kept secrets from her, and it was so unlike her.

“I-it doesn’t concern you. You shouldn’t bother…” Celestia faltered, knowing Luna would simply keep pressing her for details.
Luna looked sadly at her sister, sensing what the causes of all her troubles were.
“It has something to do with the night, doesn’t it?”
That was it. Celestia turned her head away from Luna, and started to let her tears slowly run down her white cheeks. She couldn’t lie to Luna. It was just impossible.
“Come now, ‘Tia. You know everypony loves your day as they do my night…”
“NO THEY DON’T!” Celestia shouted at her sister, shocking both Luna and herself at the volume her voice was at.
“Half of them refuse to wake up and face my morning sun; many of them hate my wonderful dawns, and the weather! The Pegasi keep blocking my light with desolate clouds, bringing downpours that I would never go out in! And you know what’s worse?!”
Celestia faced Luna with a tear-streaked face, red with pure rage.
“They all enjoy it! Say it’s much better than having the sun blinding their eyes! Then they stay up to gape at your night wonders, the stars and planets, everything!”

Celestia had to take a break to take several big breaths, and Luna tried to calm her sister down.
“What on earth do you mean? There are so many things ponies do in the day! They swim and sunbathe, hold contests, bake, rollerskate, many things! They could never do all that in my gloomy night!”
The night princess gently held her sun sister’s head up, cradling it carefully with her hoof.
“There are many things to do with your beautiful sun to watch over them. Never forget that!”

The only thing Celestia could do was stare regretfully at her younger sister, before slowly moving away. She didn’t want to continue this conversation, especially with all the star-gazers and guards dotted everywhere. Some were already concerned with the commotion, taking valuable seconds to stare at the high balcony. But they turned their attention away quickly, not wanting to miss the wonderful night and all it had for them to see.
Luna gazed at her sister as she slowly walked along the balcony to her quarters, head lowered. She seemed tired and upset, and it was probably best to leave her alone.

“Goodnight, Celestia. Sleep well!” Luna called after, but Celestia was already moving through the doors that connected the inside of the palace to the balcony.

Luna turned her head to her night sky, and gazed at the sun, nearly completely out of sight on the far horizon. It would have been impossible to spot if Luna was on one of the lower balconies, as the faraway hills that surrounded Equestria towered above nearly all the buildings that were built. Just as it was swallowed by the darkness, Luna sighed. Was her night truly what ponies enjoyed more?