• Published 9th Jun 2013
  • 579 Views, 6 Comments

The Brass Conspiracy - MadHighlander



Celestia is betrayed by somepony she believed to be dead.

  • ...
0
 6
 579

Intermission 1: Welcome to Old Canterlot

The Everfree Forest
Approximately 2,000 Years Ago

Normally, the Everfree Forest would be strange and terrifying. But not today. Today, the world had gone to Tartarus and the Everfree had stayed much the same. For that reason, the few who had escaped madness or worse had fled into the heart of the forest that they had once hated and feared.

White Rose's dark green coat matched nearby plant life surprisingly well, but it wouldn't help her to hide should any monsters appear - her long, bright yellow mane stood out against the dark forest like a dragon in Manehattan.

Rose didn’t know much about the forest. Only that it operated outside many of the known laws of nature, and was full of many strange and magical beasts not found anywhere else. One of her travelling companions, however, was far more knowledgeable on the matter.

“This region used to be called the Longhorn Plains, a long time ago,” Blue Spark had said. Like Rose and their other two companions, Swift Wind and Cogspin, Blue Spark was an Equulanean noble, descended from one of the seven Royal Families. He was descended from the ancient, if poorly-thought-of, Family Silver-Blood, which was famous for having produced the only king ever to be unseated in a coup. “When King Silvertongue ascended to power, he took the land from the local buffalo and gave it to his right-hoof stallion, Malus Plow-Pusher, and Malus planted an orchard on the land that provided most of Equestria’s income for some fifty years.” Blue Spark, though a unicorn rather than a pegasus, was almost identical to Swift, save that the colors of his mane and coat were reversed.

“So how did it get like this, then?” asked Swift Wind. Cogspin shifted his position on Swift’s back, yawning.

“Well, that’s the thing. Apparently Malus was practicing some unholy magicks or other somewhere in the area, and their effects continue to bleed through to this day. The governors of the Everfree, Lady Celestia and Lady Luna, set up here specifically to impose what control they could over the energies that still permeate the very soil under our hooves. They succeeded well enough that the taint is confined to the shade of the forest, but not so well that the place is truly safe. I mean, it’s better than out there right now, but otherwise I’d never recommend coming this way.”

A head-sized toad exactly the shade and texture of the path croaked loudly and hopped away. In the distance, something howled.

Spark looked around nervously. “And of course the walled town under the citadel is protected from the local wildlife. As I understand it, the Ladies have set up some sort of magical field that repels even winged beasts like a manticore or a dragon.”

“Come on,” scoffed Rose. “If there were dragons in these parts, no one pony could maintain a shield spell powerful enough to keep them out.”

“You’d be surprised. The Ladies actually move the sun and the moon through the air with magic.”

“Now you’re just making things up.”

“Nope. It’s true, they’ve been doing that for more than a thousand years.”

“Hey. You two, ssh!” interjected Swift. “Listen!”

They listened. Beyond the sounds of the forest, there was a new sound; the sound of ponies talking, and of carts rolling down cobblestone streets. Following the sound as it grew louder and louder, they eventually pushed through a final layer of foliage and onto the edge of a tall cliff. Far below them, a river – the River Equus, that originated from underground springs beneath Equulaneum – raged and roared, splitting in two around a tall plateau. Atop the plateau stood a magnificent castle, surrounded by a small village of stone huts. Immediately to the left of the spot where they exited the forest, a large stone bridge crossed the chasm and led through a large, open wooden gate.

The group trotted up to the bridge, where they were stopped by a navy blue mare in Everfree Guard’s armor, one of four guarding the bridge.

“Pardon me, miss. Got to scan your group for illusion magic before you can come in.” The mare held up a small blue crystal in a silver framework, waving it around all four refugees. “Standard security procedure, you understand. And you’re clean. Names?”

“Swift Wind, Blue Spark, White Rose, and Cogspin the Younger. We’re fleeing the fall of Equulaneum.”

The pony’s eyebrows rose. Obviously recognising at least one name, she said, “Equulanean nobility? Celestia wants to speak to you as soon as you arrive. Follow me, I’ll take you to the castle.” As she turned about, Rose noticed that instead of the feathered wings that would be expected of a pegasus, from the mare’s back sprouted a pair of leathery bat wings.

She turned to Spark as they followed the bat-pony and whispered, “How does she have bat wings?”

“The Everfree Guard has lived in the forest for generations. It’s to be expected that it’s changed them.”

“Ah.”

The journey through the town took only a few minutes, enough time for Rose to notice that, indeed, most of the ponies in the area did have the same bat-wings as the guard that they were following. Those that didn’t appeared to be refugees from outside the forest.

As the guard led them up the stairs and into the castle, another pair of bat-ponies pushed open the great wooden doors to allow them entry. Within the castle, a number of bat-ponies were clustered around a table, arguing animatedly about the contents of a large tactical map of Equestria laying on top of it. As they passed the table, Rose noticed a number of small crystals scattered around the map. Those within a radius of several hundred miles of Equulaneum glowed bright pink; the others were a dull blue.

After the foyer, their guide brought the four nobles up four flights of stairs to a small chamber with a fireplace opposite the window. In the chamber’s center stood a large, round wooden table painted with the sigil of the sun and moon. The room bore no further furnishings. Standing at the table conversing animatedly with each other were two exceptionally tall mares, one pale white and the other navy blue.

“My ladies!” said the guard. “What remains of the Equulanean nobility has arrived.” With that, she bowed and left the room as the two mares raised their heads.

“Greetings, young ones,” said the white mare. “I am Lady Celestia. This is my younger sister Luna. We are honored to welcome you to Canterlot.” She inclined her head in their direction. “Come over here.” The four approached the table, Cogspin climbing up onto Swift’s shoulders and watching the two through his mane.

“Tell us, what news from Equulaneum?” asked Luna.

“The queen is…” Rose hesitated, glancing at Cogspin. “Dead, my lady. A foul creature calling itself ‘Discord’ has taken the throne and the crown and twisted the land and all who live there into mockeries of what they once were.”

Celestia’s eyebrows rose. “Discord, you say? The Discord of legend?”

“It wouldn’t surprise me, my lady. From what I saw, much of his effects on the environment and populace are unintentional, a simple side effect of his very presence, though that’s not to say he doesn’t enjoy it.”

“I would prefer it if you would refer to us by our names, rather than our titles, while in the town. Deference can be tiresome, at times. But regarding your news, this changes much. We were aware of the warping of the land, but we had believed it to be the work of a spellcaster or even a group of spellcasters. The idea that it may be a god is almost inconceivable, but it means that soon the Everfree may be the lone safe place for sane ponies.”

“Is there anything at all that can be done, my-” Spark stopped himself. “Celestia? Surely there must. I’ve heard it said that there is no problem without a solution.”

It was Luna who answered this time. “There may be, but we must deliberate on its effectiveness. Certainly they have proven themselves, but not against a god.”

Celestia nodded. “Indeed. And even if they would be effective, they require bearers, something not always easy to find. We may be besieged here some time before the opportunity to strike back presents itself. In that spirit, what are your names?”

“I am White Rose of the family Cruelthorn.”

“So you are. I can see much of your ancestor in you. Were you aware that I knew your ancestor, Queen Cruelthorn the Penitent?”

“I was not, Celestia.” Wow, thought Rose, I thought Spark was exaggerating. To know Queen Cruelthorn, she’d have to be at least a millennium and a half old.

Next, Blue Spark introduced himself. This time it was Luna who replied, “We were also acquainted with your ancestor, King Silverblood the Wrathful. I see very little family resemblance in you, though in your case this ought to be taken as a compliment. King Silvertongue Silverblood was an unsavory sort of pony if ever there was one.”

Finally, Swift Wind introduced himself and Cogspin, who was still trying to hide behind Swift’s mane.

Luna once again replied to Swift, “We never had the pleasure of meeting King Broadwing, unfortunately. However, we look forward to coming to know all of you.” The last part she addressed to all four of the assembled ponies.

Celestia had been observing Cogspin with a curious expression on her face.

“Come forth, young one. There is no need to fear my sister and I,” she said gently to him. He responded by ducking behind Swift’s head.

Rose picked him up off of Swift’s back. “Come on, Cogspin. They’re not going to hurt you any more than we would.” She had only known the two for a few moments, but they seemed to almost radiate an aura of trustworthiness. She trotted around the table and set him on the ground in front of Celestia, keeping one hoof on his back for good measure.

Only once there did she really notice how tall Celestia was; Rose herself only came up to Celestia’s shoulder, while Cogspin barely reached her knee. Even as that thought crossed her mind, Celestia lowered herself to the ground, bending her neck so that she could look Cogspin in the eye.

Cogspin looked at Rose, who nodded at him. Then he looked at Celestia.

She smiled. “You are safe here, my little pony.”

He replied by laughing and smiling. “You’re way nicer than the goat ferret.”

“Goat ferret?” asked Luna quietly.

“Discord had the head of a goat and the body of a ferret, among other things,” replied Rose.

“Hmm.” Luna looked at Cogspin with concern. “He has seen things that one would not wish upon ponies of any age, has he not?”

“Yes.”

Another ‘hmm’. “No harm shall come to him while he lives within this city. This I promise.”

Celestia stood up, leaving Cogspin chewing on a piece of caramel candy she had given him, and announced, “I wish to extend the four of you an invitation to stay here at the Castle, until such a time as you may return to your homes in Equulaneum. If you are amenable, we have a number of vacant rooms just below our own in the west tower.”

“I don’t mind,” said Swift. Blue Spark nodded.

“That’s very generous of you, Celestia,” said Rose. “What do you think, Cogspin?”

“Mmth!” said Cogspin through a mouthful of caramel.

“Well, I think that’s settled. We’d be honored to stay as long as you’ll have us.”

Author's Note:

I'm sorry it took me so long to get the last chapter out, for anyone who may be following this story. It's something I've been working on, as you can see from this chapter/intermission thing. That's how I plan to do this story; Every major time skip during the main storyline, I'll post an intermission chapter going back in time and telling a piece of Cogspin's story.

Anyway, criticism is still appreciated from anyone who has something to say.