• Published 14th Feb 2012
  • 532 Views, 15 Comments

The Talking Book - Khroam



When Rainbow Dash returns Twilight's copy of Daring Do someone else finds the book as well...

  • ...
 15
 532

Unexplainable

I read it in six hours, granted I did nothing else. I bolted the door, locked the windows pulled the shutters and drove myself to distraction trying to tell if this was some cruel joke. It wasn’t, I truly had a copy of Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone. Admittedly, the plot was predictable and over the top, but it looked legitimate, right down to the cover. What got me most was that it was actually there, I could touch it, smell it and see it in my own world. What intrigued me however, was that it looked used. Pages folded, some hay, I even found at one point a glistening azure hair. But then I found the best part, because at the back of the book I found some simple notes, some plot holes, some personal opinions, cool in itself, until I realized that these notes were Twilight’s own. She'd written these, she'd done it herself! Now though, it's here with me, and I had to have every single detail and make every connection. That hair had to have been Rainbow Dash's, I knew it! The dog eared pages by hoof not hand, the scorch mark of a wayward lightning cloud. Ordinary wear and tear in Equestria it may be, but to me - to anyone who watched, it was priceless.

It made me feel guilty when I remembered I’d absent-mindedly drawn the main six in a blank page before the book began.. If Twilight knew, she’d be devastated that I’d defaced her book.


“Hey, Rainbow! Are you up there?” called Twilight up to the cloud. She thought she’d seen a tail flick up there, and she had some important questions. “Come on, I know you’re up there! Don’t make me yell!” Twilight yelled. Fantastic, Everypony was staring by now. She snapped round “Don’t worry, I’m not crazy or anything, it’s just my friend is up there! Y’know, Rainbow Dash!?” The odd looks continued, along with a persistent poking… “Will you QUIT poking me?!” She turned to face the pokee, who turned out to be a wide-eyed Rainbow Dash.“Oh. I thought… Never mind you’re here now”
“So, what d’you want? No offence, I have important things to get back to.” Replied Rainbow, who had settled once more, leaning on a tree.
“I’m sure you do…” replied Twilight sceptically “Anyway it’s about the books. For a start I-“
“No, I gave them all back. All sixteen, I counted.”
“It wasn’t that it was just-“
“I swear, I didn’t rip any pages!” Twilight put a hoof over her friend’s mouth.
“I had no idea you were such an artist!”
“Mmph? Myph Mmmnph mmph!” Rainbow Dash removed the hoof from her face. “What? I can’t draw! And what are you talking about?”
Twilight looked the other pony up and down. “Well, I haven’t lent the book to anyone other than you. No-pony has asked for it, everyone has a copy of Daring Do.”
“But what are you actually talking about!” Asked Rainbow Dash, exasperated.
Twilight took the book carefully from her saddle-pack, turning the pages slowly until she reached one. “I-its us! That is AWESOME! They even gave me my shades!” Twilight, however did not share the pegasus’ enthusiasm. If it wasn’t her then it had to be something – something that… Nothing, there was no explanation, RD would never lie to her about something as unimportant as a sketch, regardless of quality. The only thing she could do was erase the picture and think as little as possible of it.