• Published 28th May 2013
  • 520 Views, 17 Comments

Scratch in the Record - tencentpartycannon



God... how did my life come to this? It used to be everything I wanted... I had friends, connections, a happy relationship with Tavi... now my best friend is a fermented cider bottle.

  • ...
0
 17
 520

Part One: Corrupted Data

Scratch in the Record Part 1: Corrupted Data

Vinyl looked at the clock on her laptop and sighed. She had spent too much time at this club, and it was getting far later than she had told Octavia she would be home. She thought about taking a moment to call her marefriend and explain why she wasn't there at eleven at night, but she soon perished the thought; she was only halfway through her set, and she found no use in getting in touch with Octavia. Whatever Vinyl would say to justify her absense, Octavia had already heard. She could hear the conversation now: Octavia would pick up and ask where she'd been, Vinyl would give some half-assed excuse with a half-assed apology, Octavia would sigh in that sickeningly condescending manner, and Vinyl would simply say she didn't give a shit anymore and hang up.

It seemed like those types of conversations were increasing in frequency over the last couple of months since Vinyl's new label required her to go just about everywhere to spread her name. They payed well, but Vinyl was fully aware that, between herself and Octavia, she wasn't the provider.

So why did she do it? It wasn't like she was immensely popular or anything; she was a local act, and that was the way it had been since she started producing three years ago. No matter where she went, what posters she put up, or who she helped in the industry, she only ever found business in these independent labels.

She hardly took the time to look down at the crowds at her "performances," but she always regretted it the few times she did; either she was disappointed that the crowd was so small, she was frightened at how large the crowd was, or something would glitch on the software and she'd have to frantically return to the computer to fix it. So she simply looked at the bright white software screen and the spinning records on the DJ booth for the rest of her set , bobbing her heard rhythmically to the beat and watching the songs play themselves. She would occasionally do some DJ magic with the records or improvise a synthesizer part, always resulting in applause from the crowd.

Eventually, the set ended, the crowd left, and the dark ambiance of the club at midnight was replaced by an eerily silent and desolate club at one in the morning. She gathered her gear into her backpack, and walked down from the stage. She walked to the club owner's office, far isolated from the once-chaotic dance floor. The owner, obviously wanting to leave as soon as possible, gave her the check for the night as he hurried out the door and into the night. Vinyl followed suit and caught one of the buses back to Canterlot.

"Hey, I saw you today at the club!" She heard as she sat down. She looked to her right to see a young mare who couldn't have been more than about twenty. "Vinyl Scratch, right? "

"That's right." Vinyl said, putting on as convincing a smile as she could, even though what awaited her back at home was still concerning her. "You new in the club scene?"

"Yeah, tonight was my first rave..." the mare said in a slightly embarrassed voice, "I'm Zimmer, by the way. Was that all your music up there? Did you write everything you played tonight?"

"Yeah, actually." Vinyl said, glad to be recognized for her work for a change. "Written with love, care, and a thousand bits worth of software."

Zimmer chuckled. "I know what you mean. I produce music too, I know how expensive it gets."

Vinyl's ears perked up. "You produce, too? Since when?"

"Since I was old enough to play the synth. What program do you use?"

Vinyl genuinely smiled for the first time in a while. She and Zimmer talked for about fifteen minutes on the bus ride home about all things electronica. Turns out, they had a lot in common; they both used the same software, had similar views on modern dance music, liked the same artists, and had the same general approach to music.

"Hey, if you want to talk more about that type of thing..." Zimmer said as the bus reached her stop, looking around the seat until she found a quill and something to write on. "here's my phone number."

Vinyl held a hoof out before Zimmer had the chance to write a single digit. "Sorry, Zimmer, but I'm taken."

"No, it's not like that, Vinyl!" Zimmer responded defensively. "I just had a great time talking with you." She handed Vinyl the phone number before grabbing her belongings and heading for the bus door. "Catch you later, Vinyl!"

"Later..." Vinyl yelled back, finally coming back to reality and realizing that she still had an angry marefriend to talk to. Vinyl looked down at her watch and realized that, more likely than not, Octavia would be asleep by the time the bus got to Canterlot. Thank fuckin' Celestia for that.


The house was empty except for the quiet hum of a still-running computer when Vinyl entered the house, trying to keep the front door as quiet as possible but failing miserably. She looked around the first floor for any signs that Octavia was still awake. Luckily, there were none.

As Vinyl quietly entered the bedroom, she could see the outline of the cello in the corner and the body sleeping quietly in the bed. Vinyl sighed in relief; a sleep-deprived Octavia was far more irritable than a healthy one, so Vinyl quietly walked to the bed, sliding across the floor with the grace and elegance of Octavia's cello playing. Unfortunately, it wasn't graceful or elegant enough.

"...Vinyl..." Octavia said sleepily, not even bothering to open her eyes. Vinyl cringed at the sound of her marefriend's sleep-afflicted voice. "Yeah, Tavi?"

"Don't.... worry.... we'll talk.... morning...." Octavia said before falling asleep again. Vinyl sighed in relief, putting the check for that night's gig on her bedside table and, for good measure, putting Zimmer's number in the deepest crevice of her gear backpack before sliding in bed with Octavia. Even if Vinyl's morning would consist of nothing but merciless scolding from Octavia, she would lay in bed with her marefriend and enjoy, as far as Vinyl could figure, the last happy moment between the two in a while.