• Published 21st May 2013
  • 523 Views, 9 Comments

Getting Spades Home - BronyDan



Pipsqueak, Featherweight and Chowder help a friend with an unintentional last request.

  • ...
 9
 523

Chapter 3

Down in Ponyville General Hospital, Spades was sitting up in his bed. He was a tall light blue Earth pony with a jet black mane and a shovel for a Cutie Mark, however these days his face looked more pale blue than anything else, and he had dark heavy lidded eyes and spent all his time being hooked up to a drip by his bed, and this was all due to a terminal condition that he had been diagnosed with over a month ago called Skagcalon, which slowly damaged the cells around the heart and it hadn’t been seen for centuries. He knew what this all meant, even when his mother constantly assured him it was in his imagination; with the help of Princess Twilight Sparkle and remedies from Zecora in the Everfree Forest, the doctors had managed to create a medicine that slowed down the process, and they had also told him that even thought his condition had steadied, there was still a possibility that the slightest bit of excitement could actually kill him, so he was advised that when he was let out tomorrow he was not to exert himself anymore, and to make regular appointments so that they could see if there was any more progress in his health.

His mother, Cillit Ariel always sat by his bedside, with a pair of knitting needles. She had quite a stern bony face and she wore a pink hat over his brown mane, which she dyed every week to cover up her greys. Spades didn’t mind her visits, his only wish was that when she did come she would actually cheer him up, instead she would just tell him about that week’s business and it would bore him so much, he thought he would die of boredom than his heart. She wouldn’t ask how he was feeling or if he needed anything, she had just sat down and started telling him that his cousin Rumble had come over to ask for his gardening tools.

Spades was only half-listening to her. His head turned to look out the window to see two birds fly past and his eyes fell upon a couple on the other side of the ward. The mare sitting next to the stallion in bed was having an animated chat with him, laughing and patting his hoof. Spades sighed, wishing that Dinky was here as well; he missed her comforts and their special times together.

Just then loud talking could be heard coming up the corridor and the doors to the ward opened. Pipsqueak, Chowder and Featherweight walked in, and waved at Spades. Spades gave a nod, but his face froze in shock as he saw the tin Chowder was balancing on his back; he recognized it as one of Dinky’s ,which meant she had sent him some of her horrible buns. He had been telling his mother that he had been making them, but he wasn’t sure if she believed him.

“Hey Spades!” Chowder shouted down the hall waving madly until Featherweight gave him a slap across the head.

“Would you keep your voice down?” he hissed as they neared the bed.

Cillit looked up at the trio, her eyes narrowed. Of all the friends her son had, she had no patience for these three. Ever since they were colts, they would always be up to something uncouth and dangerous and worst of all, unclean. She was always reluctant to let Spades go out and play with them because he would come back covered in dirt or wet which would get over her clean carpets. When they got close to the bed, Chowder put the tin down on Spades’ stomach. “And who baked them then?” asked Cillit, suspiciously.

“He did.” said all three stallions together; Pipsqueak pointed his hoof at Chowder, Chowder pointed to Featherweight and Featherweight pointed at Pipsqueak. They all quickly lowered their hooves and Chowder quickly said, “It was joint; we all did a bit.” Cillit still didn’t look convinced so Chowder quickly changed the subject, “That’s a very nice hat, Cillit. Don’t we like Cillit’s hat boys?”

Cillit’s nostrils flared a little. Even though they had reached the age where they were entitled to call her in a first name basis, she had always preferred them to call her ‘Mrs Ariel’ like they used to do when they had been in school.

“Ravishing as ever.” smiled Pipsqueak leaning next to Spades, “And that’s only your son."

Chowder looked over Pipsqueak’s shoulder and tutted, “He don’t look well.” he sighed. Pipsqueak looked back at him exasperated and took the seat next to Spades.

“There are only supposed to be two to a bed.” Cillit said darkly, as Chowder pulled up a seat next to Pipsqueak and Featherweight sat down next to her.

“Yeah, but I’ve always wanted to try a threesome.” laughed Chowder until Pipsqueak gave him a quick kick in the side of his hindleg. As Chowder rubbed the sore part, Cillit had picked up the tin and was trying to get it opened, “Careful, that’s my best tin!” Chowder said quickly not realising what he had just said.

“Would you mind if I tried to open it?” said Featherweight, trying anything to get the tin away from Cillit, but she smacked his hoof away.

“So it’s your tin is it, Young Chowder?” she asked, her eyebrow raised suspiciously, “Then what picture is on the lid?”

Chowder looked across the bed at Featherweight, whose eyes were darting down at the tin all the time. He looked over at Pipsqueak who was just as confused as him. Featherweight tried to attract his attention from behind Cillit’s shoulder, mouthing the answer, but Chowder was not good at this sort of thing, “Sugarcube Corner!” he said, but Featherweight quickly shook his head, “… is what they usually put on there, but it’s really…” he looked back at Featherweight who was slowly mouthing ‘Canterlot Labyrinth’ at him, “Canterlot Library and a fish” Chowder said smiling.

“’Labyrinth’ you twat.” Featherweight hissed quietly.

“Labyrinth you twat!” Chowder said loudly and quickly.

“I’ll take him outside, there is only meant to be two to a bed.” said Featherweight standing up from his seat, and he grabbed Chowder by the hood and dragged him out of the ward, leaving Pipsqueak with Spades and his mother.

“You know it’s funny how these buns look and taste almost exactly like yours, Spades.” said Cillit, suspiciously as she picked up one of the buns and taking a bite out of it.

Spades looked over to Pipsqueak for support, “Well… Spades gave us the recipe.” said Pipsqueak quickly, “He gave it to us to see if we can improve them.”

Cillit still didn’t look convinced as she put the bun back in the tin. Spades leaned into Pipsqueak, “Look, can I have your word?” he asked "I want to get rid of a few things before I die, but Mum doesn’t approve of my decisions, but I want my cousin Rumble to have my gardening tools.”

“I’ll pass the word onto him, don’t worry.” said Pipsqueak, looking over at Cillit who sniffed.

“Also, I’m allowing Chowder to have the suit I wore to our graduation ceremony.” Spades continued.

“Chowder?” said Pipsqueak in disbelief, “Why him?”

“Can you think of anypony else who needs some new clothes without paying for them?” sniggered Spades. Pipsqueak had to agree, Chowder rarely ever left his house without that old grey hoodie.

“I keep telling there’s no need, he’s not going to die.” said Cillit.

“I may be ill Mum, but even I can tell I’m not the same anymore.” retorted Spades.

“The Doctors have already done their bit, you’re going to be fine when you get home tomorrow.” Cillit replied back. Spades and Pipsqueak looked at each other with solemn expressions.