• Published 20th May 2013
  • 442 Views, 1 Comments

A New Jester - Mr_Rittercorn



The Summer Sun Celebration is coming up, and the Jester can't make it, (Among other problems), so Celestia holds a competition for a new court jester. (Also includes some musical numbers from The Court Jester and How To Succeed) No Humans.

  • ...
 1
 442

Prologue

It was quite a busy day around the Canterlot castle. Every single servant available was running around all over the place setting up decorations. The chefs were all doing overtime to make enough food. Even the guards were no longer able to keep their composure as they tried to control the processes to little avail. In the Royal throne room Celestia and Luna sat in their thrones, side by side, and were busy going over preparations with the royal event planners, tasting every dish the royal chefs brought out, and trying to remain calm while utter chaos broke out all around them.

“Beautiful isn’t it Cellie?” asked a draconic voice from behind Celestia’s throne.

Without even turning her head, celestia replied with, “I’m sure this is like a dream come true for you Discord, but I really need to focus on work right now.”

“Oh come now Celestia,” Said Discord as he moved out from behind the throne to stand next to Celestia, “can’t you just sit back and let the staff handle this one? I’m sure they can do this by themselves.” As if on cue, two cooks tried to squeeze through the same kitchen door and tripped, sending their food flying into one of the event planners. This caused her to shriek and stomp the ground in anger. She accidentally stomped on a guards hoof, causing him to yelp and throw his spear upwards, popping almost every balloon that was being taken outside by a servant.

“Or, maybe not,” he said with a slight grin and a chuckle.

Luna sighed and got up from her throne to go help fix this spill, not before giving Discord the stink eye of course.

“Sheesh, what’s eating her? Is it contagious?” He asked with mock worry.

Celestia also glared at him before returning to her paperwork.

“What is it with you ponies today? You act as if something huge is about to happen.”

“Well Discord,” said Luna, walking back to her throne, “if you paid any attention to what we have been discussing the past few weeks, you might have known that the Summer Sun Celebration is in three days.”

Discords eyes suddenly widened in surprise, “Really? Well, why didn’t anyone bother to tell me this?”

“As Luna said, we have been planning it for weeks Discord,” said Celestia in a sour tone.

Discord looked around the throne room. Not much seemed to have been done to prepare the place for the celebration. There were hardly any decorations up and he didn’t remember seeing any on his way to the throne room either. In fact, it seemed as though everything was being prepared last minute. Discord smiled evilly to himself. He had it all figured out.

“Cellie,” He said, slowly turning to her and still sporting his evil grin, “I never thought you could be so unorganized. Forgetting about the Summer Sun Celebration until three days before it happens? Tsk Tsk.”

Celestia blushed in embarrassment and turned her head away.

“I-It simply slipped my mind is all.”

Discord simply laughed, “Of course it did Celly, anyways, I’ve got some business to attend to, so if you’ll excuse me.”

As Discord turned to leave, his tail collided with one of the workers. This caused them to drop the tray of drinks they were holding, splashing the drinks on the floor next to another worker setting up streamers. That worker stepped backwards, slipped, and dragged the streamers on, ripping down every single ceiling decoration and two large chandeliers. The chandeliers then crashed through the floor, breaking through several floors of the castle, miraculously avoiding causing anyone any harm, and breaking the gas line which led to kitchen. Everyone slowly turned towards Discord with a look of anger and shock. Slowly but surely Discord turned to look at the princesses. If looks could kill, Discord would have been skinned alive, cut into pieces, and charbroiled, only to be thrown into space and have a meteor collide with a crush his already broken and burnt body.

“Ehehehe… Oops?”

“DISCORD!” yelled Luna, “THOU HAST DESTROYED OUR ROYAL THRONE ROOM! THOU SHALT PAY FOR THINE SINS. THY NAME SHALL BE WIPED FROM HISTORY FOR ALL ETERNITY! HOW COULD THOU BE SO FOOLISH, IRRESPONSIBLE, CLUMSY, IDIOTIC-“

Just then, the doors to the throne room burst open, and Celestia’s scribe, Inkwell ran in.

Inkwell was not the tallest pony but not quite that short. His coat was a dark brown and his mane was a forest green. He wore a small pair of spectacles on his nose and his cutie mark was a quill being dipped in an inkwell.

“Princesses,” he cried, “I’ve got some urgent new-” He stopped when he saw the destruction before him.

“Ah, Inkwell.” said Celestia having contained her anger only for the moment, “Please, pay the accident no mind and tell us what his news of yours is.”

“Uh, y-yes your highness.” He pulled out a scroll from his saddle bags and cleared his throat before reading it.

Dear Your Royal Highnesses,

I regret to inform you that the Court Jester you hired, Mr. Gigglesworth, is in critical condition in the Fillydelphia hospital after a terrible lute playing accident. He will not be able to make it in time for the Summer Sun Celebration. He sends his deepest apologies and hopes that you will find a suitable substitute for him before the celebration.

Sincerely,

Dr. Buttersweet

Celestia took the scroll with her magic and skimmed it over once more before sighing and putting it down.

“Oh dear, first the throne room, now the jester. We can always move the celebration or repair the throne room, but a new Jester? Three days before the Celebration? It would be impossible to find someone with enough skill. Tumble Gigglesworth is the best jester within the borders of equestria. Where will I find one that can replace him on such short notice?”

“Why not a contest Cellie?” asked Discord.

Celestia and Luna looked at him in surprise. “That’s… Actually not a bad idea Discord. Inkwell, start making poster for competition of jesters. Place them all over over Equestria.” As everyone began to leave, celestia mumbled to herself, “I just hope we can find someone with some real talent.

Author's Note:

Well, I hope you all liked it. Next chapter we meet our protagonist. My first fic so please give me some feedback.

Comments ( 1 )

GEE i wonder who the jester will be...
Looks to be a good story.

Login or register to comment