• Published 20th May 2013
  • 7,552 Views, 257 Comments

The Road Not Taken - levarien



Twilight has spent her adult life keeping Equestria safe. While her friends found careers, family, and love, she has spent her time searching for ways to defend them all. Resentment now rules her heart, and somepony has to get through to her.

  • ...
29
 257
 7,552

Ch. 6: Accords

Trixie tailed the two cloaked ponies from a discreet distance. The sun had been set, and while a few ponies enjoyed Luna's night, most had retired to their homes. Lights from the windows of cottages illuminated the streets with enough light for her to pick out her quarry from the darkness. The shrouded figures were headed on the northern road out of Ponyville. The concentration of buildings began to dwindle and Trixie found herself struggling to keep the two in sight. Luckily, they slowed to a walk, allowing Trixie to move from hiding spot to hiding spot without losing ground.

The stallion's deep laugh nearly made Trixie trip over her own hooves. "I know that laugh," she thought, "It's so familiar, yet there's something different about it." Her ears twitched as she tried to eavesdrop while sneaking behind the two ponies.

"No no," said the familiar voice in response to an unheard comment, "I'll behave." The two reached a small white fence at the bottom of a hill. The stallion held open the gate and gave the cloaked mare an elegant bow as she started up the hill towards a small cozy cottage at the top. As he turned to close and latch the gate, he overlooked the extra bush that had materialized along the picket fence.

Trixie concentrated every ounce of her willpower to keep her magic from running wild. The stallion, not five meters away muttered an oath as the latch refused to cooperate. Sweat trickled down Trixie's brow. "Can't let him see me," she thought, "I'm not sure yet; not with that stupid cloak in the way." Just as her horn started to flicker, along with the illusory bush, the latch finally slipped into place with a *click*. The stallion turned away and Trixie immediately released her magic.

"I'm waiting!" shouted the mare from the door, "and I'm getting sleeeeeepy."

The stallion turned and charged towards the front door. The mare laughed in surprise and ran into the cottage. Trixie once again wondered why their voices sounded familiar. As soon as the front door slammed shut, she quickly hurdled over the fence and made her way to one of the windows near the entryway. It was closed, and thick drapes kept her from seeing inside. Trixie made her way around to the side of the house until she found what she was seeking: An open window large enough for her to fit through. She grabbed the window-sill and pulled herself up by her forehooves. She carefully pushed the drapes aside and looked into a decent sized living room. Muffled voices echoed from what looked to be a small vestibule by the front door. Trixie quickly pulled herself into the room and looked for a place to spy on the ponies.

"Just forget about it for now," said Argent as he entered the living room. He grunted as he levitated the pair of saddlebags from his back. Carrying the panniers in front of him, he walked past the small shelf next to an open window.

Twilight followed Argent across the room to the kitchen. "I just feel so stupid," she said as she helped him levitate the produce and assorted groceries into their proper places. "Here I am berating you about being careful about what we do here, and I leave all that stuff on the mountain." Twilight's head drooped as she put away the last bunch of carrots into the pantry.

Argent put the empty saddlebags onto his back and raised her chin with his hoof. "You had more important things to worry about," he said, "and I think not bleeding to death trumps dealing with one more little change." He couldn't gauge Twilight's reaction, as her eyes were hidden by her cloak's hood. "Come on," he said grabbing her hoof and pulling her towards the living room, "you need to relax."

Trixie ran back to the window and once again created the illusory shelf. She was proud of how her magic was holding up. "Maybe the cider loosened something up" she thought. The two ponies, still in their cloaks, reentered the living room, the stallion leading the mare by the hoof. Two empty saddlebags lifted from his back in a golden aura and floated out of sight into the entry room. The two reached the couch facing the wall Trixie had camouflaged herself against. The stallion stopped and pushed the mare's hood back. Trixie briefly saw the mare's bespectacled face before the stallion leaned in and kissed her deeply. "That was not mother," Trixie thought as she blushed, "and now this is awkward."

Argent used his magic to unclasp Twilight's cloak and let it slip from her body as he helped her onto the couch. Pushing back his own hood he climbed on the couch and settled himself behind his marefriend. "See," he said as he rubbed her back with his hooves, "isn't that better than worrying about things you can't change." Twilight's sigh was all the answer he needed to hear. She turned her head, reached her hoof around his neck and drew him forward. She planted her lips to his and gasped as he rubbed her flank.

Trixie's horn was starting to flicker, the illusion slowly oscillating at the same frequency. She didn't notice, as the stallion's face and mane had her mind racing. "It has to be him," she thought, "Why is he here, and who is that nag. She looks familiar too."

Twilight winced in pain as Argent's hooves rubbed lower on her flank. "My corset," she said breathlessly.

Argent nodded and used his magic to untie the knots keeping the restrictive garment in place. As he loosened the final loops of twine, Twilight's wings burst from their confinement, throwing the corset across the room and baring her cutie mark. Argent rubbed the base of each wing, eliciting euphoric sighs from the alicorn beneath him.

Trixie's brain froze as the amorous display continued. Without her concentration, the frequency of the flickering of her horn reached a crescendo. "GET OFF OF MY DADDY!" she shouted just as one last brilliant flash burst from her horn. The illusion disappeared in an instant. The resulting implosion and sudden explosion of air slammed Trixie against the wall and blew the couch, coffee table, and assorted furniture over.

Argent and Twilight peeked over the now vertical base of the couch in time to see a charging Trixie jump over the upturned sofa. She whirled around and stalked towards Twilight, her nostrils flaring in anger at every heavy breath. "First you take my brother," she said as she pursued a slowly retreating Twilight, "now you find my father and hide him away from us."

Argent dashed in between the two mares. "Trixie," he said, "I'm not...."

Trixie's horn flared and Argent was enveloped in a pink aura which tossed him gently out of her path. "I'll deal with you in a moment," she said, "But first, this mare-of-the-night pays." Trixie smiled malevolently as the aura around her horn intensified. The occasional flicker sent streaks of pink magic arcing to the floor.

The insult was the straw that broke the camel's back. Twilight stopped retreating and flared her magic until her horn created a nearly blinding radiance. "Lulamoon," she said with an imperious, amplified voice, "How many times must I throw you down before you stop being such an insufferable bitch?" She knew exactly what Trixie would do next. She knew all of the showmare's tricks and spells.

Trixie screamed and fired several round spheres of shimmering blue and purple energy towards the alicorn. They arced across the room in four distinct trajectories. Twilight calmly stood in the same statuesque pose. As the four bolts collapsed on her, she threw up a magical dome around herself, and another around her immediate area. The magical charges detonated against her shield, the resulting fireworks style explosions were contained by the second, larger, dome. The normally translucent shield was quite opaque as the smoke from the explosions was roiling inside. Twilight released her shields and created a conduit of wind to funnel the smoke out of the open window. Her hair came loose and billowed in the artificial breeze.

"I just got this place how I liked it," said Twilight as she strode towards Trixie. She charged a particularly powerful paralysis spell and prepared to loose it upon the growling showmare. Trixie's horn was flickering like a strobe light.

"NOW EVERYPONY JUST CALM DOWN!" shouted Argent as he jumped in between the two mares. "Trixie, I am not our father," he said throwing his cloak to the ground. He turned sideways so she could see his cutie mark. "I'm Argent."

Trixie's jaw dropped and the aura around her horn winked out of existence. She stared at what had to be her brother. She was aware more than most ponies that a cutie mark was impossible to fake. Even her best disguises couldn't replace one cutie mark with another. She had been able to put embellishment around her cutie mark, to make it appear different, but the original design always had to be there. But his cutie mark was Argent's: The silver shield in front of the red heart was far too simple to be an embellished mark.

"No," she said, "You can't be him." She looked past him at Sparkle. "And she can't be her." Trixie's head finally caught up with her instincts. Her rear-legs collapsed and she sat on the floor. "Trixie doesn't understand what is happening."

Argent looked at Twilight with a question in his eyes. She wearily nodded and began levitating the pieces of furniture back to their original positions.

"Come have a seat Trixie," he said as he sat on the now correctly oriented sofa, "It's a long story, and you'll want to be sitting down for it."


"And that's everything we found," said Rainbow Dash. "We got back to Ponyville as soon as we could and left the girls with Fluttershy at her cottage."

"Argent?" asked Twilight, "You seem to know your way around a shield; Anything you can add?"

He looked at the shards and nodded. "It's a heater shield," he said as he flared his magic. The shards floated up and locked into position. "Excellently shaped," he said examining the cover it provided. "Most guards prefer round shields or bucklers: Heater shields went out of style centuries ago." He placed the shards back on the table and released his magic. "I've always wanted one this nice," he said, "it's a shame it's so damaged." He looked at the shield once again. "I'm not sure what actually broke it," he said while using his hoof to prod the point where the shards met. "No dent; no pierce mark; It looks like it just shattered on its own."

"Magic then?" asked Rarity, "When you eliminate everything, the only thing left to consider is magic."

"Probably," said Argent, "Though it would take quite the Unicorn to shatter an inch of solid steel like it was glass."

"That's it!" said Twilight as she rose her front hoof. "The mystery unicorns from last week!" She excitedly hopped around the table until she was next to Argent. "You saw what was left of that altar." she said, "Honey said it was at least three ponylengths across, and the mare lifted it with ease."

"And crushed it just as easily," said Argent, "You may be on to something Princess. Somepony who could do that could easily have done this."

"That's great guys," said Rainbow sarcastically, "Real top notch detective work there." She hovered over the shield and pointed at the center of the shield. "None of this explains why Twilight's cutie mark is on it."

"It's not exactly my mark," said Twilight, "Shining Armor's got the same star, and I'm pretty sure one of our uncles has something similar."

"The captain does't use shields," said Argent proudly, "He might be the best at magic shields, but I'm the best with the real deal." In his ardor, he had removed the shield from his back and was posing in his primary defensive position. The mares around the table suppressed giggles at his outburst. He looked down in embarrassment and replaced the shield on his back. "It isn't Captain Armor's," he said with a blush.

Twilight wrapped the shards in her magic and teleported them back to the library. "Thanks girls," she said to Rainbow and Rarity, "That's one more piece of the puzzle."

"What about these," said Rarity as she levitated the golden hoof cups. "Could I have these Twilight? I could shine them and restore them to their proper glory." She cradled the hoofwear with reverence and turned a pleading gaze at her friend.

"Sure Rarity," said Twilight, "Just don't do anything to change the size. If we find the mystery unicorns, these shoes might just identify them."

"How delightful," said Rarity, "It's like something out of a fairy tale." She slipped the shoes into her saddlebags and gave Twilight a hug. "Thank you Twilight," she said, "Now I must go pick up Sweetie Belle and get her home."

"I'll go with you Rarity," said Rainbow Dash, "I promised Scoots she could stay with me tonight." She landed next to Rarity and they waved goodbye.

"I guess we should head home too," said Twilight, "Trixie?" Twilight looked around the room. Seeing panic from Argent's eyes, she remembered the mare walking outside. "Oh yeah, she went outside for some air a while ago." They exited the bar.

"Trixie!" shouted Argent into the night. "Where did she go off to?"


"So you see Trixie," said Twilight, "no pony can know who we are." She levitated her empty tea cup onto the tray that Argent had brought them in on. "We've already caused minor changes that have altered events as we remember them." She looked Trixie into the eyes as she tried to impress upon the mare the severity of the situation.

Trixie smirked and began laughing in Twilight's face. "Trixie must admit that she was almost fooled," she said, "You are both obviously quite talented at disguising yourselves." She reached across the coffee table and prodded Twilight's wing with her hoof. "These even feel real," she said, "but Trixie doesn't believe you." She stood and started walking towards the door. "Trixie thinks you two are trying to do something to the real Sparkle, and that means you mean to do something with Trixie's brother as well. Trixie suggests you leave, because the real Twilight Sparkle will not like you impersonating her.

Twilight looked to Argent in a panic. He shook his head and let the mare walk towards the door. As she reached the vestibule leading outside he called to her over his shoulder. "She made us banana bread before they left." The mare froze in mid-step. "He read us our favorite story before we went to sleep, kissed us on the forehead, and promised they'd be back soon." The mare remained frozen in stride for a full minute.

Trixie turned back towards sofa, tears streaming down her face. She walked back to the sofa and sat next to the stallion. Argent reached over and wrapped her in his forelegs. The mare struggled to wrap her mind around the fact that this middle aged stallion was also her twin brother. A thought occurred to her. "Do I ever find them?" she asked.

"No," he replied directly.

"Do I ever give up?" she asked.

Argent smiled and squeezed her tight. "Never."

Trixie sat in her brothers arms for a few minutes, waiting for her emotions to settle. She pulled away from Argent and looked up at Twilight. "Trixie will keep your secret Sparkle," she said, "but Trixie wants something in return."

"And what does the Great and Powerful Trixie want?" asked Twilight, her brow arched in curiosity.

"One," she said, "Trixie requests that when Trixie asks, Twilight Sparkle will accompany Trixie on one of her travels."

"As long as nopony finds out who I am, fine, I agree," replied Twilight.

"Two," continued Trixie, "Twilight Sparkle will guarantee that Trixie never has to see her with Trixie's brother again."

"Oh, I don't know if I can do that Trixie," said Twilight with a smirk. She flared her magic and levitated Argent to her side. "I just find that I can't keep my hooves off him." She brushed his lips with a kiss and began walking around the stallion. "I can't promise what you will or won't see," she said, "After all, I don't recall inviting into our home tonight." She saw her chance to tweak Trixie as she walked behind Argent.

The stallion jumped in the air. "Twilight!" he squeaked in a high pitched voice.

She walked around to his side and rubbed her flank against his. "I'll promise not to...utilize...Argent when you are around," she said, "but you can't expect two ponies not to express their love in the privacy of their own home." She began another circuit of the stallion with a second light kiss.

"Trixie agrees," she said averting her eyes, "just make it stop."

"Wonderful!" said Twilight as she clapped her forehooves together. "Now you need to get back to your contemporary Twilight." She left the shaking stallion and escorted Trixie to the front door. "I know her, and you know your brother; they're worriers." She opened the door and gently pushed Trixie through. "Oh, and you'll want to get your magic under control before you plan any expeditions: It causes us both no small amount of heartache."

The door slammed in Trixie's confused face. The muffled sounds of Twilight giggling shocked her back to reality. Trixie galloped back towards the bar, desperate to put some distance between herself and the unspeakable horrors transpiring in the cottage on the hill.


"But why can't ah stay with you?" asked Apple Bloom.

Fluttershy stepped into the early evening air and closed the door to her cottage. "Because it's a school night sweetheart," she said ask she led the filly over the small bridge that crossed the creek in front of her house. "And because I promised Applejack and Big Macintosh that I would bring you home safe and sound." The pair of ponies walked down the country road that led the way towards Sweet Apple Acres.

"So Apple Bloom," said Fluttershy, "How is your brother doing?"

"Big Mac?" she asked, "He's bein' an ornery varmint." The filly jumped onto a rock and then onto the fence that ran along the path. "He keeps sneakin' outta bed," said Apple Bloom as she walked along the fence in an impressive feat of balance. "The other day, AJ found him tryin' ta buck trees in the western fields." The filly leaped down from the fence and continued walking at the pegasus' side. "But since Granny's off visiting Uncle Apple Strudel, there ain't nopony to keep him in his bed."

"Oh my," said Fluttershy in alarm, "He might hurt himself if he's not careful."

"Yeah, and ah can't stop him when he gets up a head of steam," said the filly. "AJ might hafta tie him to the bed to keep him from breakin' his fool leg again."

"Well the doctor said that he had to stay off his leg for two whole weeks, and it's barely been one." Fluttershy said with a worried frown. The pair walked in silence towards the farm as the moon began to rise in the east. The smell of apple blossoms pervaded the air as rows of the fruit trees lined the country lane that led to the Orchard. Apple Bloom grabbed a fallen branch with her mouth and began dragging it along the fence posts as they approached the cozy old farmhouse.

"Applejack!" shouted the filly as they walked in the front door, "I'm home!"

A steady series of *thunks* from above was followed by the limping form of Big Macintosh carefully making his way down the stairs. "AJ ain't home yet Bloom," said the stallion as he approached the front door. "Ya need to go wash up and get ready for bed and..." He paused as he rounded the corner into the entry hallway. "Why hello Miss Fluttershy," he said, "How is your head?" He started walking to join his sister and her pegasus escort by the door.

"Never mind my head," said the annoyed pegasus, "Apple Bloom tells me that you aren't staying in your bed."

"But Miss Fluttershy, there's just too much to do and...," said the stallion before he was interrupted by Fluttershy.

"You promised me," she said angrily, "You said you would stay in bed and get better." She stepped forwards and Stared at Big Mac. "You were hurt because of me, and I won't let you hurt yourself any more just because you can't follow doctor's orders."

"B...b...but Bloom n...n...needs ta," he stuttered.

"I will take care of Apple Bloom, just as soon as we get you back in bed." Fluttershy flapped her wings and hovered to his side. She gently spun him around and herded him back up the stairs. She escorted him into his rather spartan room and helped him into the bed. "Now you wait here and I'll make sure Apple Bloom gets cleaned up and ready for bed."

"Ya'll don't need to do all this," said Mac, "Ah feel right guilty troublin' ya'll like this."

"And I feel guilty for being responsible for you being injured in the first place," replied Fluttershy. "So we'll be guilty together." She smiled warmly at the stallion and left to find Apple Bloom. She found the filly dutifully brushing her teeth and washing her face.

"Ya'll really are the Stare Master Fluttershy," she said as she wiped the moisture off her face with a towel. "Applejack always says that makin' Big Mac do what you want is like ripping a stump outta the ground with yer bare hooves."

"It's for his own good," she said, "and besides, The Stare only works when they know that what they're doing is wrong." Fluttershy hung the filly's towel back on the rack and ushered her towards her room. "I just had to remind your big brother of some promises he made." Fluttershy untied the ribbon from Apple Bloom's mane and placed it on her bedside table. "Now I'm going to wait here until Applejack gets home, so if you need anything, I'll be right downstairs."

"Okay," said the filly, "Goodnight Fluttershy!"

"Goodnight sweetie," replied Fluttershy. She closed the door to the filly's room and walked across the hallway and through the open door of Big Mac's room. The stallion remained obediently in the bed and was trying to read a book. The non-flexible cast on his forehoof was making the task rather awkward. Fluttershy smiled, pulled the rocking chair from the corner to the side of the bed, and took a seat. "Your sister's in bed and it's too dark out to work," she said firmly, "so now all you have to do is stay in bed and get better."

"Yes'm," replied the stallion politely.

"So where is Applejack?" asked Fluttershy as she reached over and examined the book the stallion had been trying to read. "It's not like her to be out so late."

"Ah don't rightly know," replied Big Mac. "She's done this a few times the last few months. She tells me she's out 'blowin' off some steam,' and heads up to her room." He shifted over onto his side and watched in embarrassment as Fluttershy paged through the book. "Ah reckon' that she was feeling extra stressed out on account of my leg bein' busted up and all that extra work she's gotta do. Ya'll remember how she gets when she works too hard."

"Well then she just needs some help then," said Fluttershy. "Now tell me," she asked Mac while raising the book in her hooves, "Do you love 'The Wind in the Willows' as much as I do?"

Big Macintosh smiled enthusiastically and nodded his head furiously. "It's mah most favorite story ever," he said reaching into his beside drawer. He pulled out a set of expertly carved wooden figurines. "My pa made these for me when I was just a little colt." He reached in and pulled out a small carved rowboat, and an odd wheeled contraption.

"Oooh," said Fluttershy reverently, "is that Mr. Toad's motorcar?"

"Eeyup," said the stallion proudly as he nodded. "And Ratty's rowboat too!" He placed the wooden toad into the strange vehicle and rolled it over the small nightstand towards Fluttershy. The pegasus squealed in delight and rolled the toy back and forth with her hooves. She examined each figure, marveling at the detail and craftsmanship.

"Would you like me to read it to you?" asked Fluttershy shyly, as she placed the toys back on the nightstand. "It can't be easy to hold the book or turn the pages with that cast."

"It's gettin' awfully late Fluttershy," said the stallion, "and I reckon' yer critters need ya."

"Oh it's okay," said Fluttershy with a wave of her hoof, "Angel Bunny can take care of the others, and if it's all right with you, I'd like to stay here tonight." She demurely looked down at the floor. "In the guest room, I mean."

"We'd be glad to have ya," said Mac quickly, "It's the least we can after ya took Bloom on her trip today."

"Well you're all welcome," she replied, "Now scoot over so we can both see the pictures." Fluttershy pushed the chair back into the corner and returned to the bed where Macintosh eagerly moved to the opposite side of the bed. The pegasus floated onto the bed and settled herself atop the comforter. She propped a pillow behind her back and sat against the headboard. She grabbed the well worn book and opened the front cover.

"The Mole had been working very hard all the morning, spring-cleaning his little home." she read. Big Macintosh listened in rapt attention, hanging on every word that came out of her mouth. When she reached the end of the first page, she turned the page to show him the illustration of Mole throwing down his broom and digging towards the surface. They continued for an hour, Macintosh eventually scooting towards the mare until his head was next to Fluttershy's shoulder so he could see the pictures without her having to turn the book.

He tried to fight off the exhaustion that crept up on him. Without Granny or Apple Bloom to keep him in check, the injured stallion had spent the day tending to whatever chores he could find. Working on three legs had proved to be harder than he anticipated, and now he desperately fought a losing battle with the fruits of his labor. Fluttershy's sweet lilting voice first lulled him into a half-awake fugue state. From Big Mac's point of view, the lamp on the night stand bathed the pegasus in a nimbus of soft white light. He closed his eyes and let the hypnotic voice drag him off to sleep.

Fluttershy made it a few more pages before the gentle snores from beside her drew her attention. She smiled and slowly moved towards the edge of the bed. The stallion rolled over and wrapped the vacated pillow in his hooves. Fluttershy reached into her wing and pulled out one of her loose feathers and placed it between the current page and closed the cover. She carefully placed the wooden figures and toys back into the drawer and laid the book on top of the nightstand. She turned off the bedside lamp and walked out of the room, closing the door gently behind her. She turned to walk down the stairs and nearly ran right into Applejack.

The farm-mare smiled at her friend and beckoned her down the stairs to the worn but still comfy living room sofa. She took a seat and continued smiling at the pegasus as she sheepishly walked to the couch and sat. Applejack wasn't the sort to tease another pony, but she was in a particularly happy mood. "Ah figured it'd be Apple Bloom who needed the bedtime story," she said with a wry smirk on her muzzle.

"Big Macintosh needed somepony to help him," said Fluttershy softly. She looked up at Applejack with accusing eyes. "And since nopony could be bothered to stay here and watch him, he was up and trying to do chores all around the farm."

"He's a big boy," said Applejack defensively, "Ah can't be expected to buck half the trees in the orchard, take em to market, and babysit that big lug at the same time." Applejack looked away from Fluttershy and continued. "But I'm sorry, I should have come home earlier."

"Where were you so late?" asked Fluttershy.

"Oh, um, just the bar. It's been a long day," said Applejack, her muzzle scrunching up in an odd attempt at being inconspicuous. She was lucky the pegasus was the trusting sort.

"Well you do need a break," said Fluttershy, "So how about I help with everything here while Big Mac gets better?"

"Come again?" asked Applejack.

"I'll watch over Big Mac and Apple Bloom, and you can focus on the farm work," replied the pegasus. "That way he can focus on getting better, and you don't have to worry about anything but apples."

"Well ah guess so," said a still confused Applejack, "Ah won't turn down help; not after the last time Mac was hurt." Applejack eased back on the couch and folded her hooves behind her head. "Oh, you'll never guess what happened in the market today," said Applejack as the two mares began chatting about their busy days.


"Trixie is sorry she worried you," said the showmare to her still pouting brother. "Trixie enjoys her walks. You know this."

"Argent enjoys a little bit of notice; you know this," said the stallion, "but apology accepted." He backed into the front door while levitating several bags full of Trixie's personal effects from her wagon. "It's Twilight you really need to apologize to," he said, "She doesn't really have flying down that well yet and looking for you really took it out of her." They passed the studious princess happily gathering several books on magical afflictions from the health section of the library and placing them in a large stack in the arms of her draconic assistant.

"Yes, Trixie can see that Sparkle is quite exhausted," said Trixie as she rolled her eyes. The siblings continued up the stairs towards Argent's room. Trixie held the door open for Argent as he strained to levitate so many objects at once. He managed to haul the various boxes and sacks to the small guest bed that Twilight had moved in from the basement. It was ostensibly Spike's, but the baby dragon seemed to be perfectly happy in his basket at Twilight's bedside.

Exhausted, Argent turned towards his bed to see that his sister had splayed herself across it. "Trixie," he said with his hoof on his forehead, "Could you at least pretend like you're helping?"

"You heard Twilight," replied Trixie, "Trixie is not to exert herself in any way."

Argent grumbled and started back downstairs to grab another load of boxes. Trixie stood and trotted over to one of the boxes and pulled out her signature cloak and hat. Shaking them out with her hooves, Trixie examined the garments for wear and tear. Satisfied that they were in acceptable condition, she hung the cloak on one of the hooks on the wall next to the door and placed the hat on the bedpost. After placing the empty box in the closet she examined the far heavier box still on the bed. Several large tomes and reams of paper filled it to the brim.

"Wow," said Argent as he set the far lighter final boxes on the floor, "I haven't seen your files in a few years." He reached into the box and pulled out a thick folder held together with a rubber band. "Border Crossings: Mexicolt 989-990 A.C." read the stallion. "When were you in Mexicolt?"

"It was a few years ago," replied the mare, "Trixie had to spend most of her bits bribing those burrocrats for these records." She swiped the folder out of her brother's hand and placed it back in the box. Satisfied that her records were undamaged, she replaced the lid and pushed the box into a corner. "Trixie had to start performing again to make her money back. Trixie was doing well until she got to Ponyville."

"I wanted to help Trixie, really I did," said Argent as he walked to his bed and sat down, "It's just that..."

"Trixie understands," interrupted the mare. She sat next to him on the bed and leaned on his shoulder. "And Trixie is sorry for what she said in Canterlot. Doing what you love isn't selfish." She stood and started pulling him across the room. "Trixie only wishes that doing what you love didn't require Sparkle to sink her claws in you."

Argent felt an odd combination of embarrassment and outrage. Walking out of the bedroom to the 2nd floor landing he leaned into Trixie. "What happened to the Great and Apologetic Trixie?" he asked. "I thought you were a fan of the Princess now."

Twilight appeared from behind a bookshelf at the bottom of the staircase. "Trixie!" she exclaimed, "I've got a few good volumes about magical diseases and disabilities we can start with. Tomorrow we can put you through a battery of tests and cross-reference the results against known maladies and dysfunctions. We'll need to get a full history of your last few months of travel: Everything you've eaten, everywhere you've slept, everypony you've come in contact with must be recorded. Oh that reminds me; Spike, add 'buy extra large scrolls' to the checklist. Argent, since you two are twins, you'll make an excellent control for any experiments we need to run. You've already signed all the standard guard release forms right? What am I saying? Of course you have. We might need to go to the hospital to get blood samples taken...unless I can find my tome on Hemomancy. I haven't seen it since Princess Celestia's last visit."

Trixie listened as Twilight rambled on. She looked towards Argent and gave him a deadpanned stare. "If you ask nicely," she whispered, "Trixie may bring you along when she is cured." She descended the stairs and followed Twilight to one of the reading couches where Spike had deposited the pile of books.

Satisfied that Twilight and Trixie were occupied, Argent made his way to the study. The broken shield was still where Twilight had placed it upon their return from the bar. He approached the desk and picked up one of the pieces of steel. The same feeling of familiarity that he felt in the pub washed over him again as he tossed the shard from hoof to hoof. He levitated the other pieces to his side and fit them all in place with his magic.

"Is that why Rarity wanted to find Twilight?" asked Spike from the door. "Somepony's broken dinner platter?"

Argent turned the shield towards the dragon. "I think it's the pink star that really got her attention," he said. Argent replaced the shield on the desk and walked over to the dragon. Spike had been rather frosty to his new housemate and Argent was starting to pick up on it. "Spike," he said, "I just wanted to say thanks for helping me settle in over the last week."

Spike crossed his arms across his chest and leaned against the door frame. "Twilight said that you were her new assistant, so I guess I have to show you the ropes," he said grumpily.

Argent was prepared for this: Twilight had warned him about the drake's jealousy, and he decided to follow her advice. "I don't think I'm cut out for the librarian's assistant life, Spike," he said. "I'll stick to being the bodyguard and occasional gofer." He patted the Dragon on the back and smiled. "Besides, I think you've got this place running like a well oiled machine. Just consider me to be the assistant's assistant."

"So if I asked you to pick up donuts tomorrow morning?" asked Spike with an arched eyebrow.

"I'd ask how many get gem sprinkles," replied Argent, "and what kind Twilight likes."

"Eclairs," said the dragon as he wiped the drool from his mouth, "and tell Pinkie Pie not to skimp on the cream filling."


"Do you think she'll be different?" asked Argent as he stared at the ceiling. Sweat matted the stallion's coat and caused him to shiver as he rolled onto his side on top of the bed.

Twilight stretched out her limbs and let out a luxurious sigh. "I don't have much experience with this," said Twilight, "but shouldn't thoughts of me be flowing through your head right now?" She draped her legs across Argent's body and moved her muzzle until it was an inch from his. "I'm not doing anything wrong am I?" she asked coyly.

Argent closed the distance and kissed Twilight deeply. After a few moments the mare pulled away breathlessly. "That's my answer to that," he said while stroking her mane. "I'm just wondering if maybe Trixie won't be so..."

"Crazy? Megalomaniacal? Obsessed? Bitchy?" asked Twilight.

"I was going to say 'single minded'," replied Argent, "but your point is taken."

"Sorry," apologized the mare, "but it's hard to say." Twilight turned over and pressed her back into the stallion's chest. "It's classic Nature versus Nurture," she said. "Are we who we are from the day we're born, or are we the sum total of all of our experiences?" She shook her head and answered her own rhetorical question. "I certainly changed when I came to Ponyville and met my friends." She reached behind her and pulled Argent's forehoof over her body. "I think that if your sister were surrounded by friends and family, she very well might turn out to be somepony other than the colossal pain in the flank that we knew."

"Am I a bad brother for wanting her to be different?" he asked sadly.

"No love," she replied tenderly, "You're a wonderful brother for wanting her to be happy." She levitated the comforter over them and snuggled against his body. "I suppose you'll have the chance to watch her change seeing as how we promised to help her: Both versions of us."

"Maybe she can help us too," said Argent. "You've said it yourself: She's a magical prodigy in her own right."

Twilight snorted in laughter. "Neither of you have ever let me forget that," she replied. "I suppose that if I run out of ideas I can always see if she has any thoughts on the matter." She yawned and hugged Argent's foreleg. "I'll just add it to the things I need to worry about."

Author's Note:

I know things seem to be progressing a little slowly, but the next chapter should really liven things up. The next two or three chapters should be quite the adventure.

I think the FlutterMac scene steals this chapter though. She's so easy to write for when she's being kind and tender.