• Published 20th May 2013
  • 7,552 Views, 257 Comments

The Road Not Taken - levarien



Twilight has spent her adult life keeping Equestria safe. While her friends found careers, family, and love, she has spent her time searching for ways to defend them all. Resentment now rules her heart, and somepony has to get through to her.

  • ...
29
 257
 7,552

Ch. 11: To the Heights

Scootaloo raced down the road at break neck speed. Her little wings flapped at a hummingbird-like frequency, propelling the pegasus filly towards the hills that overlooked Ponyville. It was Friday, and Friday meant that it was flying lesson day. She had spent the last few hours of the school day with her head in the metaphorical clouds; now she hoped to spend the rest of the day in the literal ones.

She swung the back of her blue scooter around and came skidding to an abrupt stop at the blue mailbox that stood alone on the side of the road. Scootaloo looked into the sky at the underside of the fluffy cloud abode of her idol and mentor. "Rainbow Dash!" she shouted excitedly, "I'm here!"

"Hold on kid," shouted a voice from above, "and step to the side."

Scootaloo rolled herself backwards and out from underneath the cloud home. Two large duffle bags dropped from the sky and landed next to the mailbox. One smashed into the ground with a metallic *clank*. Rainbow Dash herself leapt from her front porch with wings tucked and pulled into a steep nose dive. She hurtled towards the ground at terminal velocity before flaring her wings to their full span and arresting her descent at the last possible second.

Scootaloo zoomed forward and jumped from her scooter in to Rainbow Dash's outstretched forehooves. "Wow Rainbow Dash," exclaimed the filly, "that was some awesome entrance!"

"Well get used to it Scoots," said the pegasus as she wrapped her unofficial little sister in a hug, "I've got to step up my game." She placed the filly back onto her scooter and tossed her the lighter of the two bags. "Carry that for me would ya?" she asked as she used both hooves to heave the heavier sack to her back. "I've got big news kid, and a big surprise for you."

"For me!?" Scootaloo asked eagerly, "Is it a new trick? Ooh ooh, is it my very own magic helicopter thingie like Tank has? No wait, it's the pillow full of your old feathers like I wanted isn't it!"

Rainbow chuckled as she began trotting towards the flat open plain that had become her usual practice spot. "First of all," she said to the filly who rolled along beside her, "don't I always have a new trick for you?" Scootaloo nodded in excitement. "Secondly," continued the cyan pegasus, "the point of all of these lessons is so you don't need any help flying." Rainbow shifted the heavy load so it was higher up on her shoulders. "Lastly, I told you already, the pillow thing is creepy. If you stop asking me for it, you can have the next trailing edge feather I molt."

"Deal!" said Scootaloo, satisfied that her devious plan had run to its inevitable conclusion.

"So the big news first," said Rainbow as the large pasture came into view. "Twilight was able to get me a spot in the Royal Grand Aerial Display at the Canterlot Aerodrome next weekend."

"Whooooa," said Scootaloo with wide eyes, "Does that mean..."

"Yep!" said Rainbow Dash, managing to skip excitedly despite the heavy burden on her back, "I might be a Wonderbolt in a little over a week!"

"Might?" said Scootaloo with dismissive wave of her hoof. "There's no way you won't make the team. You already said you were the top of your class at the Academy. I bet Spitfire herself gives you your uniform as soon as you land after the show."

Rainbow blushed while setting down the large bag. "I don't think it'll be that easy," she said while taking the lighter bag from the filly and unzipping it. "There's a reason why they usually don't let pegasi my age into the display. I know I'm awesome Scoots, but I'll be up against ponies in their prime." She reached into the duffle bag, pulled out a baseball cap, and placed it on the filly's head. "They'll be bigger and stronger than me. Speed is great, and I've got it in spades, but they've got the wings to fly full speed for hours. My skill has to be that much better than their's to get me a spot on the squad."

"Pffft," sputtered the filly, "as if any pegasus has a trick as awesome as the Sonic Rainboom."

"That's the thing kid," said Dash, "Nearly everypony's seen the Rainboom by now. I did perform it at a royal wedding after all, and most of the Wonderbolts were there when I performed it at the best young flier's competition." She slipped a whistle around Scootaloo's neck. "No, I have to come up with something new to prove I'm not a one-trick pony."

"Well you have tons of new tricks," said the filly around the whistle in her mouth, "The Peregrine Pass was pretty radical."

"It needs to be bigger and better than the Rainboom kid," said Rainbow seriously, "which is why I need your help." She threw a hoof around Scootaloo's shoulder and draped a wing around the young filly. "I need a spotter to tell me what I need to fix as I get this new trick figured out. I need somepony to push me; somepony to help dust me off when I crash." She winked at her awestruck student. "Want the job kiddo?"

"Do I ever!" shouted Scootaloo. "How do we start?"

Rainbow Dash smiled and rubbed the top of the filly's head. "Extreme Warm-ups!" she said eagerly as she unzipped the second, heavier, bag and pulled out a large barbell and several lighter dumbbells. "I just feel bad about missing your lessons for the next couple of weeks."

"It's cool," said the filly, "I'm just psyched that you want me to help!"

"I still want to make it up to you," said Rainbow Dash as she began a series of stretches. "Something like, I don't know, bringing you with me to the display so you can sit in my coaches box."

"You mean the seats right behind the Wonderbolts?" asked the wide eyed filly. "The best seats in the whole Aerodrome?"

"That's right Scoots," said Rainbow. "All the girls and my parents are gonna be there to cheer me on, but I need my number one superfan there to show them how it's done."

Scootaloo's brain froze as it tried to process the sheer awesomeness that the universe had thrown her way. She fell backwards into the soft bed of flowers and grass and stared into the clear blue sky.


"Are you sure you won't stay a few more days?" asked Twilight as she levitated one of Trixie's many heavy boxes down the stairs and out the front door. "Just a few more tests to make sure your magic is completely stabilized."

Trixie rolled her eyes as she placed the chest of clothes into the back of her newly repaired and upgraded wagon. "Sparkle, you've spent the last week watching Trixie use her magic nearly nonstop. If Trixie's magic show at the school didn't convince you that her horn is repaired, then nothing will."

"But Trixie," said Twilight as she slid the box to the back of the cart, "even the smallest miscalculation on our part and your magic could be a ticking time bomb."

"Trixie is starting to think you just don't want to see her go," said Trixie with a wry grin. "Trixie's company is truly addictive."

"Ha," said the alicorn, "I just take pride in my work." She bumped her flank against Trixie's playfully. "But honestly, it has been nice to have someone to talk shop with." They walked back into the library and back up the stairs. "I love my friends, but their eyes glass over when I even start talking about serious magical theory." They entered the room the two siblings had shared for a short time. Argent passed them with the last two crates and headed downstairs.

"Oracle's a short trot away," offered Trixie as she donned her cape and hat. "You can visit her any time you like and ask her to help with any experiments you want to perform. Day or night, I'm sure she won't mind."

"That's true," said Twilight as she leaned against the bedroom's door frame, "but I'll still miss having you around."

Trixie smiled, walked over to Twilight, and gave her a hug. "Trixie is thankful for everything, and she'll visit soon, but the road calls: Places to go, ponies to find." She released the alicorn and looked down the stairs to make sure Argent was still busy with the wagon. "Trixie doubts he'd say it, since he's so stuck in his head all the time, but Argent really loves it here," she said conspiratorially. "Trixie is glad he's with a pony like Twilight Sparkle. Trixie knows you'll take care of him."

"I promise he's safe with me," said Twilight with a hoof to her chest. "No more liches if I can help it."

"Good," replied Trixie, "he'll do anything you ask of him. Don't abuse that."

Twilight nodded seriously. "I wouldn't dream of it," said Twilight as she escorted Trixie back outside. "Is everything sorted out here Argent?"

The stallion looked around and saluted crisply. "One wagon outfitted, upgraded, and ready to go!" He trotted up to his sister and squeezed her tightly to his chest. "Be safe, and don't hesitate to send for us if things get dangerous."

"The Great and Powerful Trixie will consider it," she replied with all her usual bluster. "You make sure to take care of Sparkle. The Great and Powerful Trixie has decided that she is a worthy companion for her brother."

"Praise from The Great and Powerful Trixie," said Twilight mockingly, "All I had to do was become a princess and face down a lich for her."

Trixie smiled as she lifted her harness into place. "Imagine what it will take to get Trixie's admiration," she said as she began pulling the heavily laden cart. The new magically enhanced axles offered little resistance and she was soon moving at a slow trot towards the south. "Take care," she shouted over her shoulder, "Let Trixie know when you two figure it out!"

"What does that mean," asked the confused stallion as he waved.

"Who knows," said Twilight. "Come on, let's pack for Canterlot." Neither saw Oracle and Horizon joining Trixie as she crossed the plaza.

"Are you sure you don't want any help?" asked the older stallion. "We owe you a favor."

"Not yet," replied Trixie, "Trixie will let you both know when she's ready, but for now you two should probably work on your own little problem."
.

"Well, I did manage to secure the temporary librarian position," said Twilight smugly, "I'll find out soon enough if there's anything that can tell us how to jump forwards in time."

"Trixie will keep an eye out for anything that may help you," she said as they crossed the small bridge that served as Ponyville's southern border. She stopped on the side of the well paved road and looked at each of the older ponies in turn. "You know, Trixie had her doubts, but she may be able to stomach seeing you two together."

Twilight smirked, strode to Argent and pulled him into a deep kiss with no small amount of tongue involved.

"Trixie was wrong," said the cyan unicorn before engaging in a bout of faux retching. "Just let Trixie know when the wedding is," she said while starting up the wagon again, leaving the two lip locked ponies behind.


"And you remembered your vitamins?" asked the earth pony mare as she held Scootaloo to her chest. "I don't want my baby getting sick all alone so far from home."

Scootaloo wriggled around in her mother's grasp. "Mooooom," whined the filly, "Not in front of Rainbow Dash!"

Rainbow Dash muffled a laugh to keep from further embarrassing her protege. "No need to fear Terra," said Rainbow, "You know Scoots is safe with me."

"I know Rainbow," said Terra Firma, "but a mother worries." Scootaloo continued struggling with her mother's over protective nature as they waited by the train tracks for the mid day Friendship Express to Canterlot. A flurry of activity by the entrance to the station house drew the attention of the ponies on the platform.

"That should be Twilight," said Rainbow as a crowd of chattering ponies made their way across the terminal.

Argent emerged from the crowd, six tickets hovering before him in his golden magical aura. He wore a sleek, deep purple, long sleeved jacket zippered all the way up his neck. Gleaming silver metal plates were sewn into the breast and sides of the coat, offering a modest amount of protection. His shield was latched to a gold plated mechanism sewn to the back of the jacket. A sapphire blue scarf in magenta trim wound around his neck complete with a copy of Twilight's cutie mark embroidered on each end. On his hooves were four silver hoof cups, each embellished with a tapering point rising up along the front of the stallion's fetlock.

"Hmm," said Rainbow Dash, "I guess it looks alright. I still think it needs spikes."

The stallion handed the tickets to the pony at the gate as Twilight finished wishing the crowd of friends and acquaintances a fond farewell. The rest of the elements followed her with saddlebags packed for a short stay in Canterlot, all except Rarity, who was trailed by two porters carting several large suitcases.

Pinkie Pie bounced to Rainbow Dash and wrapped her in a bone crunching hug. "I'm soooooo excited for you Dashie!" said the excitable mare. "It's like the Wonderbolt Academy all over again, but ten times more important."

"She'll probably need her backbone Pinkie," said Applejack as she placed her heavily laden saddlebags on the ground, "in more ways than one."

"Tell me about it," said Rainbow Dash in an uncharacteristic showing of nervousness. "I still don't know how I'll handle performing for the entire Aerodrome crowd; and Princess Celestia; and Princess Luna; and the head Wonderbolts."

"You'll be great," said Twilight who was completely decked out in her princess accouterments, "and remember: This isn't your only shot at this. Some ponies have to perform at several displays before knowing one way or another about their chances with the Wonderbolts."

"And you'll have all of us to cheer you on," said Fluttershy, "I know I can do better than last time."

"Thanks girls," said Rainbow Dash as the Friendship Express's whistle blew a sharp note across the platform. "No time to worry about it now though, lets all climb aboard!"

Terra Firma gave her daughter one last squeeze before Scootaloo managed to wriggle free and ran circles around Rainbow Dash. The friends all stepped onto the recently repaired rear porch of the lavish royal car and settled in for the relatively short trip to the heart of Equestria. Cupcakes and punch miraculously appeared from Pinkie's seemingly bottomless saddlebags and soon the friends were all chatting up a storm.

"Three whole days in Canterlot," said Rarity, the rapture evident in her voice, "I simply adore the city this time of year: The culture; the sophistication; sweet Celestia, the shopping! Fluttershy, you simply must accompany me to my favorite salon. Applejack, I'm going to take you to the best little pâtisserie in all of Canterlot: Their apple tarts are to die for."

"Well shucks Rarity," said Applejack nervously, "I figured I would explore a little on my own, if that's alright with you, but I'll catch up with ya'll later."

"Spoilsport," said Rarity as she pulled seven fluted glasses from one of her carry on bags. "Pinkie Pie, if you'll do the honors?" Pinkie squealed in delight as she pulled a bucket of ice from her seemingly bottomless saddlebags. Rarity levitated a large magnum of champagne from its chilly bath. "Courtesy of Berry and Barley: One bottle of Rainboom Reserve."

She popped the cork and began distributing the bubbly concoction of swirling colorful spirits. "Ladies and Argent," she said while raising her glass, "to Rainbow Dash's big break!" They each clinked their glass against each others before tasting the heady beverage.

"It doesn't taste like rainbow," said Pinkie after swishing the sparkling drink in her mouth, "but that's probably a good thing." The friends took turns toasting the mare of the hour while Scootaloo and Spike sipped on cups of punch. Outside the train, rolling hills and pastures gave way to steep mountains. Soon they were sitting in the cushioned seats as the incline made standing difficult.

"Applejack darling," said Rarity to the farm-mare sitting across from her, "Is there something wrong with your drink?"

Applejack looked at the untouched glass in her hoof and gave an awkward shrug. "I guess it's not my cup of cider," she said while placing it on the table between them. "Ya'll know I don't go in for all that frilly frou frou stuff."

Rarity reached across the table and placed a hoof on Applejack's shoulder. "Is something the matter, Applejack?" asked Rarity in a concerned tone. "You've seemed a bit down the last few weeks."

"I reckon I've just been workin' too hard," said Applejack. "Doing Big Mac's share of the chores has been tough, and now that he's off with Fluttershy every chance he gets, I'm starting to realize how much he does around the farm."

Rarity looked over at the yellow pegasus who was laughing with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo. "'Every chance he gets' you say?" asked Rarity playfully. Applejack, glad to have the notorious gossip's attention focused on somepony else, proceeded to throw Fluttershy under the Rarity Bus.

After another hour of steady climbs through mountain tunnels and over majestic steel span bridges, the Friendship Express approached the gleaming jewel of Equestria. Canterlot sparkled in the setting sun, its golden spires and domes aflame with brilliant orange light. From the windows of the train, the entire city appeared to be surrounded in an aura that gave it an otherworldly visage.

"It's like something out of a fairy tale," said Rarity dreamily, "riding into a golden city in the company of a princess."

"Don't forget about the part where the princess invites you all to stay in her castle," said Twilight with a beatific smile. Spike was there to steady the swooning unicorn before she fell out of her seat.

Argent began lifting Rarity's bags from their places in the luggage racks above the seats as the train came to a stop in the Canterlot Train Depot. He opened the side doors of the royal car in time to see several golden armored guards dropping a gold filigreed set of stairs beneath his feet. Argent levitated the pile of luggage, one bag at a time, next to a waiting cart. He descended the steps and held his hoof out to help each mare and filly as they made their way off the train car. As Twilight descended, the sound of hoofs stomping the stone platform rang out. The guards saluted in unison, the haft of their spears held vertically.

"Twiley" came a shout from behind the line of guards.

"Shining!" responded Twilight as she hopped down the rest of the way. She ran to her brother and threw her forearms around his neck. "What are you doing here?"

"Cadance has a few appointments," said the prince, "and we thought we'd catch the display while we're here. When I saw that Rainbow would be performing, I didn't need to be as smart as you to know that all of you would be here cheering her on." He stepped back from his sister and smiled at the rest of the ponies. "It's great to see you girls again," he said while bowing deeply. He levitated the baby dragon to his side and ruffled his headspines with his hoof. "Hey there Spike the Destroyer!"

"Let me go," protested the dragon, "or you'll get the flames!"

Shining chuckled as he let the dragon float back to the ground. "Nice to see you too little bro." He walked over to the cart of bags and placed the last on the tall pile of luggage. "And what do we have here?" he asked while looking over the mobile mountain of suitcases. "I leave you with Twilight for a few weeks and she's already got you dressed to the nines."

Argent narrowed his eyes and straightened his posture to stand proudly before his mentor. Before he could respond, Twilight smacked her brother in the back of the head. "Leave him alone Shiney," she said sternly, "you don't get to tease my Captain."

"Captain?" asked the puzzled stallion.

"Captain of my Harmony Guard," replied Twilight with a puffed out chest. "Now if you don't mind, we need to be on our way to the castle. Be a dear and help Argent with the bags."

Shining looked to Argent and then back at his sister before grabbing the front of the cart. "I bet you're loving this," he said to Argent who pushed from the rear of the small wagon.

"How many times did you ask me to hold Princess Cadenza's shopping bags?" asked Argent. "I'd say that karma has been successfully meted out this day."

Shining Armor chuckled as he pulled the cart along. The others followed behind the two stallions, chatting as they passed through the busy Canterlot streets. "I guess you've got me there, Captain Defender," he said jovially. "Seriously though; congratulations Argent, I knew you'd be the right stallion for the job."

"You two were right," said Argent as he looked over his shoulder and smiled at the alicorn laughing with her friends, "she really is something special."


"How was that?" asked Rainbow Dash as she landed next to the filly. "I think I got the angle just right that time."

"Still not fast enough," said Scootaloo, "It's starting to come together, but when you get to the top it's already coming apart at the bottom."

Rainbow Dash stomped her hoof. She had worked herself into heavy lather over the course of her two hours of allotted practice time in the Aerodrome. The grand old aerial stadium was built into the side of the same mountaintop on which Canterlot was built. Where the Canterlot Downs Racetrack had its single large grandstand set upon a plateau, the Aerodrome had its spectators perched upon the mountainside in sections of seats cut out of the rock itself. Tunnels wormed their way through the mountain from each section, connecting them to the grand facade of the main gates. An earth pony or unicorn approaching from Canterlot along the winding boulevard would be greeted by the two enormous pegasi reliefs cut into the side of the cliff where the road ended. They faced each other, forelegs raised into the air, wings flared above their backs. The main tunnel into the mountainside was filled with carvings of all of Equestria's greatest fliers. From the original Wonder Bolt, to the bat winged Shooting Star, all the legends greeted the spectators as they made their way to their seats.

"You're really close," said the filly as she handed her idol a towel, "I think the trick looks awesome just the way it is."

Rainbow Dash rubbed herself down with the cotton towel, leaving her coat matted and messy. "I told you kid," said Rainbow, "awesome just isn't going to cut it." She tossed the towel back to Scootaloo and looked at the large clock above the royal box. "I think that's all the time we'll get today," she said while picking up her saddlebags, "let me get a quick shower and we'll go get some grub and see what everypony's up to."

As they turned around and began walking towards the tunnels and the training rooms beyond, the swinging double doors opened revealing a familiar pegasus.

"What are you doing here," asked Rainbow Dash, her lips curling in to a frown.

"Hi Rainbow Dash," said the amber maned, light blue coated, pegasus mare, "I'm performing in the display."

Rainbow's frown turned into puzzled annoyance. "Why would Captain Spitfire let a reckless washout like you perform, Lightning Dust?" she asked while shaking her head.

"I apologized to the captain after the academy ended," explained Lightning Dust. "She said that I had to work on my attitude, but that she wouldn't give up on a promising young flier."

"Whatever," said Rainbow Dash as she pushed past the pegasus, "I guess even Spitfire can make a featherbrained decision now and then."

Scootaloo had looked on in curiosity initially. She had never seen her mentor so bitterly hostile to another pony. "If she's in the display, and she knows Spitfire, why would Rainbow Dash hate her so much?" thought the filly. She stopped mid stride and turned to greet the unfamiliar pegasus. "Hi," she said raising a hoof, "I'm Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash's number one fan and coach!"

Lightning Dust smiled and shook the filly's hoof. "Nice to meet you Scootaloo," said the grateful pegasus, "I'm Lightning Dust. I was Rainbow's wingpony at the academy."

"Rainbow Dash," asked the filly, "Why are you being so mean to your wingpony?"

"That little traitor," thought Dash.

Before she could answer Lightning Dust laid a hoof on the filly's head and ruffled her mane. "I was a horrible wingpony kiddo," she said while looking at the back of the silently fuming mare. "She's right about me. My recklessness almost hurt all of her friends and got me tossed out of the academy." She stepped forward and walked to Rainbow Dash's side. "I never got a chance to apologize," she said, "What I did was wrong and I'm truly sorry."

Rainbow turned her head away from Lightning and looked sullenly at the wall. "I'm not the one you should apologize to," she said.

"Come on Rainbow Dash," said Scootaloo, "you just said it yourself: Anypony can make a bad decision."

Rainbow Dash sighed in resignation. Having her own words used against her was annoying. Having her stubborn streak tested by her ersatz little sister was doubly irritating. She looked over to the dejected looking mare and hung her head in defeat. "I guess I've probably made a few bad calls too," she said, "I wouldn't want to be judged by them." She saw the edges of Lightning's mouth curl up in a grateful smile. "Don't get me wrong, you still need to apologize to the ponies you actually put in danger, but you and I are cool." She held her hoof out in a gesture of goodwill.

Lightning Dust bumped her hoof against Dash's and smiled. "You tell me when and where and I'll make it up to your friends."

"How about dinner at the castle," said Rainbow Dash with a sly grin, "They'll all be staying there tonight."

"The... the castle?" asked Lightning Dust, her voice cracking in surprise.

"Didn't you know?" she asked innocently, "You almost sent Princess Twilight plummeting to her doom."


"This salad is delicious Mrs. Velvet," said Argent, "Thank you so much for lunch."

"I told you to just call me Velvet, dear" said the older unicorn mare as she placed a pitcher of ice water on the picnic table in the backyard of Twilight's fillyhood home. "I would think that not having to answer to my son would have cured you of that."

"Hah," said Night Light as he chomped down on a plate full of roasted beets, "he's twice as scared now, hun." He slapped the back of the silver coated unicorn, sending him into a fit of coughing. "Twilight was always a formal little filly," he said around a mouthful of veggies. "What was that doll you had, Twily? Miss Snootypants?"

"Smartypants," corrected the terminally embarrassed alicorn, "and every foal names their doll, daddy."

"True," said Night Light, "but do they also lecture them when their pretend homework is late?"

"Don't make me banish you, daddy," said Twilight as she blushed profusely. "I'll have you both know I've already told Argent he doesn't have to call me princess. Isn't that right Argent?"

"Yes, Princess," he said without thinking.

The two older ponies fell over laughing as Twilight glared at the confused stallion. She shook her head and attacked her salad with a vengeance. "Why does Shining get to avoid this feast of embarrassment?" she asked while her parents tried to compose themselves.

"Something about Cadance needing him to accompany her to an appointment," said Velvet, "but don't worry dear, we got him good when they first started coming to dinner together." She smiled at Argent and refilled his glass. "It's kind of funny," she said, "our Guard Captain son married a princess, and now our princess daughter has her own Guard Captain."

"You two must be so proud," said Argent, "Captain Armor lucks out with Princess Cadenza, and then Twilight is lucky enough to be assigned yours truly." He tried to channel his sister's legendary ego as he held his head high and placed a hoof to his chest.

Night Light barked a laugh and threw an arm around his daughter's shoulders. "Yeah, I think Velvet must have been snacking on four leaf clovers while carrying both of them." Twilight stared across the table at her mother with an exasperated expression.

Velvet smiled back at her daughter as she placed her elbows on the table and rested her chin in her hooves. "No, Twilight gave me such odd cravings," said the mare, "like figs and sour cream." she stuck her tongue out and wrinkled her nose in disgust. "I haven't been able to look at either since she was born."

Twilight bore the embarrassment of the meal with as much stoicism as she could manage. When the onslaught of fillyhood stories finally came to an end, she was all too happy to leave Argent in the company of her father and help her mother carry the empty plates and bowls back into the kitchen. She smiled as she passed Spike who was passed out at the kitchen table surrounded by the glittering remnants of the trove of jewels her mother had kept squirreled away for whenever her "grand-dragon" came home for a visit. "So I take it you two approve of Argent," she said while dropping the plates in the sink full of soapy water.

Velvet grinned coyly at her daughter. "Sweetheart," began Velvet, "we've known Argent for the better part of a year now. He's a very nice stallion, but what matters is what you think of him."

Twilight remained silent as she began drying the dishes her mother handed her. They quickly finished the chore and had dried their hooves with towels when the two stallions walked inside chuckling over some unheard joke. "Ready to go Argent?" asked Twilight, "Spike's going to stay here for tonight, so we can be on our way."

Argent nodded and zipped up his jacket. "Thanks again Mrs. Velvet, Mr. Light."

Night Light reached his hoof out and shook the younger stallions. "Always a pleasure son," he said, "Keep an eye on her, she's a hoof-full."

Twilight Velvet hugged the young stallion and gave Twilight a peck on the cheek. "Don't be a stranger you two," she said while walking with them to the front door. "We'll send Spike along to the castle when he's done with his nap."

They waved to her parents and began walking towards the castle. "Your turn," said Twilight as they walked over one of the many arching alabaster bridges of the capital city.

"My turn for what?" asked Argent in confusion.

"I thought you'd like to visit your orphanage since we're in town," said Twilight, "You seemed a bit wistful when you mentioned it in Appleoosa." She smiled at him and winked. "I'd like to see the place where they teach young colts to dance as well as you do."

Argent laughed and guided Twilight down a side street and towards the lower sections of Canterlot. The city, of course, was not the sort of place where you'd find anything approaching poverty, but there were certainly areas where ponies didn't live each day in the lap of luxury. Homes closer to the base of the city tended to be smaller and were crowded closely together. The walled in estates of the upper city gave way to rows of weathered townhouses and the occasional schoolhouse. The ponies were still a happy lot, moving about their business with a smile on their muzzles and a spring in their step.

Twilight was recognized as a Princess of Equestria, but where the nobles and well to do ponies of upper Canterlot would insist on fawning over the alicorn and trying to worm their way into her good graces, the ponies of lower Canterlot would greet her with a respectful bow or wave before moving along with their days. She decided she rather preferred it.

Argent led her past several small markets and a worn marble fountain before stopping before a nondescript three storied wooden building near the outer wall of the city. A battered old wooden sign hung under a post next to the double doors at the front of the structure. "The Welcome Home?" asked the curious alicorn, "That's an interesting name."

Argent shrugged as he slapped the sign with his hooves as he had ever since he was old enough to reach it. "The matrons try to make everypony as welcome as possible; it's reassuring to see that when you first arrive." He knocked on the front door and straightened the collar of his jacket.

After a few moments, the doors opened inward revealing an aged earth pony mare. She wore her white mane gathered in a crocheted snood. Her light blue tinted coat, with its trio of smiling young faces for a cutie mark, hung loosely on her aged frame, but she still managed to jump in joy at the sight of the two ponies at her front door.

"Well, Luna bless my stars, if it isn't little Argy," said the mare as she jumped forward and squeezed the stallion's cheeks. "It's been too long since you've visited young stallion."

"I know Matron Cara," said Argent sheepishly, "I've been busy." He stepped to the matron's side and swept his hoof towards Twilight. "Matron Cara, this is Princess Twilight Sparkle. She wanted to come for a visit today if that's alright."

"I should think so," said the elder mare as she lowered a leg and bent as low as her joints would allow. "Welcome to The Welcome Home, Princess."

Twilight rushed to the other side of the mare and helped her back to her feet. "None of that please," said Twilight, "I should be the one bowing."

The older mare smiled at the young alicorn and pulled her inside the doorway. "The children would love a visit," she said while leading them down the wide hallway. "They're always a bit rowdy after lunch." The three ponies entered the large common room that dominated the first floor of the orphanage. Colts and fillies of every age cavorted around the large open space. Shelves full of books and board games dominated the wall nearest the entrance, while cubbyholes with small pillows and blankets lined the eastern wall. A fort of wooden toy blocks had been constructed in the middle of the room, surrounded by several young foals who maneuvered hand crafted toy ponies over the ramparts and parapets. A small raised platform with a couple of well worn rocking chairs sat at the north end of the room, surrounded by curved rows of benches.

A younger, middle aged mare, with a bright cherry red mane, a shining white coat, and a baby bottle cutie mark wandered around the room supervising the playing children. She smiled when the three older ponies entered the play room. "We were just talking about you the other day Argy," said the mare while hugging the stallion. "And who is this pretty young thing," she said before turning her full attention to Twilight. Upon seeing the horn and wings, she squeaked in surprise. "I'm so sorry Princess," she said while falling to her stomach on the ground, "I beg you to forget my hasty words."

"Well, she is pretty," said Cara, "and younger than you."

Twilight laughed and used her magic to lift the prostrated unicorn. "I don't forget such kind words, Miss..." Twilight trailed off as she realized she hadn't been introduced yet.

"Beryl Shine, Princess," said the still flummoxed mare.

"It's wonderful to meet you Beryl," said Twilight warmly. Their introduction was cut short by the young colt pulling at Beryl's hoof.

"Matron Beryl, Tug won't share!" complained the knee high colt as he pointed across the room towards a cluster of playing children.

"I'm so sorry princess," said the mare as she followed the colt to the source of the disturbance.

Twilight smiled and walked around the room with Cara and Argent. She kept a running count of fillies and colts as she watched them at play. By her estimates, around twenty of them ranging in age from four to six scampered about. "Is it just you two with all of these fillies and colts?" she asked breathlessly.

"During the day, yes" replied Cara, "the older children help out immensely, but they're at school right now." She tied a little filly's ribbon back into her hair and sent her on her way. "Matrons Callista and Dione help out when the nursery is particularly quiet and calm."

"Nursery?" asked the confused alicorn. Argent nodded and led her to the far side of the room and into a hallway that ran towards the rear of the building. He held his hoof to his lips as he held open a door for the mares. Twilight peeked in and saw several full bassinets and small cribs. Two middle aged mares were sitting on a small couch: A foal in one hoof and a bottle in the other. Twilight stepped back into the hallway and held a hoof to her mouth. "So young?" she asked sadly.

Cara nodded somberly, "They're usually not here for long," she said. "Not many of the children have long stays here, but thankfully the babies are usually adopted first." She looked at Argent and winced. "Sorry dear one," she said, "I didn't mean..."

"It's alright Matron," he said with a smile, "I glad for them too."

Twilight followed them as they wandered back to the common room. "It's nearly story time," said Cara, "I don't suppose you'd like to read them something?"

Twilight's face lit up in delight. She nodded eagerly and followed the elder mare to the bookshelves. She selected one of her favorite children's stories and rejoined Argent by the miniature amphitheater at the rear of the room. At Matron Cara's invitation, she took a seat on one of the antique rocking chairs while the older mare gathered the children. Twilight laughed along with the colts and fillies as Argent tried fitting into one of the small seats meant for the smaller ponies. He eventually gave up and sat in the aisle.

"Hello my little ponies," said Twilight warmly, "I'm Princess Twilight, and Matron Cara asked me to read to you." She opened the colorfully illustrated book and held it out so the children could see the cover. "This was one of my favorite stories when I was a filly," she said, "It's called Little Big Horn." She began reading the story about an overambitious young unicorn who proves that her small horn doesn't mean she can't do great things. As she showed the colorful pictures, the group of young ponies slowly migrated to the stage and sat around the princess in a tightly packed semicircle. Soon Twilight had pushed the rocking chair aside and laid down with the children, letting them flip the pages as she read.

As she finished the book and closed the back cover, the young colt curled up against her side shifted in his sleep. She looked around at the stage full of slumbering young ponies. Argent carefuly stepped over the sleeping forms and helped Twilight to her hooves. The matrons were busy covering the children with blankets and settling them in for their afternoon nap as the princess and her guard made their way across the room.

"Thank you for bringing me here" said Twilight quietly as she slipped the book back into its place on the shelf. "I hope we can come back every time we're in Canterlot." She reached over and hugged the stallion tightly.

Argent returned the hug and set the mare back on her hooves. "Thank you for wanting to come," said Argent, "it's always good for these kids to be reminded that there are ponies out there who care about them." He looked out the windows into the small park the orphanage sat next to. "Come on," he said while pulling her hoof with his, "let me show you the backyard." They waved to the still working matrons as Argent led the way to the rear exit of the building.

The scattered copses of pine trees were a relic of a time when Canterlot was just a large castle on the mountainside. A thousand years of expansion slowly turned what had been a high altitude forest of pine and spruce into several well tended parks. Thanks to the lower elevation, the trees in this lowest park in Canterlot were much larger and provided much more shade. Beds of alpine flowers bloomed in the cool spring air, dotting the park with purples, yellows, and blues. They walked along the crushed gravel path, towards a stand of pines that grew near the city wall.

"This is even nicer than the park Cadance used to take me to," said Twilight as she took in nature's beauty. "I bet the colts and fillies love it out here."

Argent chuckled as they approached the cluster of old growth pine. "Park time is one of the surest ways the matrons have to keep order," he explained while weaving around the thick trunks. "During the summer all the local kids would come to the park to play as well. Nopony wants to be stuck in the house when all the new ponies show up to play." He stopped in front of the large white wall that circled the outside of the lower city. Large bushes grew along the inside of the wall, forming a thick secondary wall of heavy foliage. Argent walked up to the tangle of brush and pushed his way through, disappearing from Twilight's view in the process. The sound of a large piece of wood being pushed aside was followed with a sudden gust of air from through the thicket.

"What the hay?" asked the confused alicorn.

Argent's hoof appeared from the hedge. "Come on through," he said, "the view's amazing."

Twilight took the proffered hoof and lowered her head as she pushed through the bushes. She passed through a small hole in the wall, opened her eyes and gasped. They stood on a small ledge on the edge of forever. A patchwork of verdant green forests and dark blue lakes stretched out before them, extending to the slightly curved horizon. Twilight's rear legs gave way and she sat on her rear. From where she was standing, it looked as if she were floating motionless above all of Equestria.

"Quite a view isn't it?" asked Argent.

"It's amazing," said Twilight breathlessly as she stared across the breadth of creation, "It just keeps on going..." Argent sat next to her and gazed into the horizon. She tore her eyes from the panorama and looked at her guard. "How did you find this?"

"Trixie found it during a game of hide and seek," he explained. "We must have been six or seven at the time. We made it our own little secret hideaway." He looked over his shoulder and pointed at the base of the wall. Several faded drawings of stick figure unicorns fighting fantastical creatures along with a few copies of Trixie's wand cutie mark decorated the white stonework. A heavy wooden board was pushed to the side, obviously to keep out curious ponies.

Twilight turned to look back out over the expanse. "I don't mean to pry," she said, "and tell me if I'm making you uncomfortable. How long were you two here for?"

Argent turned and laid on his back. He folded his hooves behind his head and looked up the shear face of the wall. "We were about five," he said dispassionately. "When our parents didn't come back when they said they would, the friend that was watching us called the guards. After a few weeks of searching they sent us to The Welcome Home. A few months later and our stay became permanent."

"Nopony ever..." began Twilight before trailing off, the words dying on her tongue.

"Adopted us?" asked Argent as he turned to look at her. She nodded and turned to lay on her back beside him. "No," he said bitterly, "like the matron said, the babies are usually the first to be adopted. The younger you are the better. We wouldn't let them split us up either, I'm sure that's part of it." Twilight remained silent as they watched the clouds drift by. Argent stole a glance at the alicorn and saw the melancholy look on her face.

"The matrons never let us feel sorry for ourselves," he said. "By the time we were in magic kindergarten, we had mostly adapted to life in the orphanage." He rolled onto his side and smiled as he looked into Twilight's eyes. "I don't know what being adopted would have been like," he said, "but life at The Welcome Home was good. We had each other, and the matrons, and plenty of freedom to find out who we wanted to be and what we wanted to do."

"I'm sorry for dragging up painful memories," said Twilight sadly, "but I'm glad to know that a place like this exists. You certainly turned out a fine young stallion. I'm sure your parents are proud wherever they are." An unknown impulse rolled over Twilight as she reached in and gave Argent a kiss on the cheek. "That's for bearing with my insatiable curiosity."

Argent rubbed his cheek absentmindedly. He looked into her eyes and felt lost. "Twilight," he said shakily, "Would you ever... I mean could you..." He trailed off as she smiled at him.

"Could I what?" she asked.

Argent shook his head and looked back into the sky, "Never mind," he said abruptly, "lost my train of thought."

They remained there for several minutes, idly chatting and enjoying the view. The breeze picked up and Twilight stood and flared her wings as far as they would go, luxuriating in the feeling of her feathers being massaged by the wind. Argent watched spellbound from the ground as she gently flapped her wings up and down. His own curiosity got the best of him and he reached out and stroked downy feathers on the underside of one of the appendages. Twilight gasped at the sudden jolt of pleasure that raced through her body. She was still getting used to the feeling of her new wings, and nopony had touched them there yet.

"Sorry," said Argent sheepishly, "They just look so soft, like a kitten's belly."

"That's okay," said Twilight as she breathed heavily.

"What's it like?" he asked while visually inspecting the still extended wings.

"I don't know if I could really answer that," said the puzzled mare. "They feel like another set of legs, but you can't move them like legs." She carefully preened the underside of her left wing like Fluttershy had shown her. "I'm starting get the movements down, and my feathers are in good shape, but I'll need some help to really get flying. I did some gliding after the coronation, but I was spinning out of control pretty quickly."

"Rarity had said something about Rainbow Dash offering to teach you," said Argent helpfully, "maybe you should take her up on that."

"I couldn't ask her now," said Twilight, "not when she's so close to achieving her life's dream."

"I suppose so," he replied. "Well, you'll have plenty of chances to take notes tomorrow."

Twilight smiled and finished her stretching. Argent stood and watched as she passed back through the hole in the wall. He followed and resealed the entrance on the other side. They returned to the orphanage and said their goodbyes to the matrons. Twilight promised to visit soon and Argent hugged the two older mares. By the time they reached the castle, the sun was setting in the west, bathing the city in an intense orange glow. They made it to the dining room in time to join all of their friends for dinner and conversation.

The arrival of Lightning Dust was met with initial confusion, but her profuse apologies for her behavior at the academy, combined with Rainbow's apparent lack of animosity towards the mare led to a textbook case of letting 'bygones be bygones'." With the display set to begin the next day, Lightning Dust excused herself and headed back to her hotel to rest up, while the others retired to their rooms in the castle.


"Fililes and Gentocolts!" shouted the voice from the loudspeaker, "let's hear it for Star Trail!"

The packed crowd whooped and hollered, waving home made cardboard signs and pennants from nearly every major city in Equestria. At the highest point of the stadium, the flags of the royal box fluttered in the steady breeze. Celestia, Luna, Twilight, and Cadance sat in heavy carved wooden chairs placed just before a small retaining wall.

The dark blue pegasus stallion with the inky black mane buzzed the royals, a billowing dark void dotted with pinpoints of light followed in his wake. "HUZZAH!" shouted the princess of the night as she leapt from her seat and stomped her hoofs in applause. "Verily, we hath not seen such masterful flying in an age."

"I don't know Luna," said the solar regent, "Sun Beam's performance was hard to top. Those luminary loop-da-loops were amazing."

"Art thou addled in thine cognitive faculties, dear sister?" asked the scandalized alicorn. "His speed and power far outclassed all the other contestants. Didst thou even watch the myriad examples of superior maneuvering?"

"You sure his maneuvers were all you were watching Lulu?" teased Celestia with an impish grin.

"SLANDER!" shouted the blushing alicorn, "Apologize! Our eyes only appreciate the beauty of his flight."

Princess Cadance shook her head as the two sisters continued bickering. She looked over at the youngest alicorn who had sunk back into her seat as the day had worn on. She recognized the look of stage fright. Being a princess was a life of constant public scrutiny. For a shy pony like Twilight, who had always preferred a hot cup of tea and a good book to a night out on the town, the added attention was a bit disconcerting. Cadance had been a bit more extroverted, so the transition had been much simpler for her.

"Come on Twilight," she said, "at least pretend like you're enjoying the show."

Twilight crossed her forehooves in front of her chest and pouted. "I still don't see why my friends can't sit with us," she said, "or at least Shining and Argent."

Cadance reached over and patted Twilight's shoulder. "You're preaching to the choir," she said sympathetically, "but loathe as I am to admit it, Captain Brightblade is right, there's only so much room in the royal box, and this is a state function."

Twilight sighed and nodded. The burly pegasus guard captain had been quite clear on the protocol for these events. The protection of princess Celestia had fallen to him since Shining's move to the Crystal Empire, and the seriousness with which he took that duty was evident by the dozens of guards posted at checkpoints throughout the tunnels leading to the royal seating area. The two stallions had protested, but even they had to admit that the royal box had little more room for anypony other than the four alicorns who were sitting inside.

"So I assume you're getting along with Argent," said Cadance, "I knew you two would hit it off."

"He's fun to be around," said Twilight, "when he's not acting like a guard."

"I do believe I said the same thing about your brother," said Cadance with a wink at the younger mare. Before the flustered alicorn could respond, the loudspeaker came back to life.

"We have two more participants before the finale folks, but these aren't your usual fliers. These two are the youngest pegasi to ever fly in the Grand Aerial Display!" The crowd cheered loudly as the disembodied voice echoed against the side of the mountain. "First up, is one of the fastest young mares in the skies! From Los Pegasus, heeeeere's Lightning Dust!"

The amber maned pegasus flew out to the small flat cloud that was parked a considerable distance from the side of the mountain. She waved at the crowd before stepping to the edge of the cloud and rocketing into the air, aiming herself directly at the side of the cliff face. The crowd gasped as the mare banked up sharply. A contrail of sparkling amber electricity grounded itself against the rock wall. Dust streaked up the side of the mountain, gradually slowing her ascent until she stopped flapping her wings altogether. Her momentum carried her until she was level with the royal box. She performed the aerial equivalent of a formal bow before holding both forearms out to her sides and falling backwards, head first, back down the mountainside.

A cascade of flashbulbs followed the plummeting pegasus as she passed section after section of cheering ponies. She folded her forelegs back into her body and began a tight spin as she picked up even more speed. She pitched up and leveled herself before she crashed through the thick layer of clouds that perpetually surrounded the peak of Mount Canter and acted as the "bottom" of the Aerodrome. She slowed and began a series of tight corkscrew loops and inverted flips.

Several Pegasi wearing the orange jumpsuits of the Aerodrome staff emerged from beneath the cloud cover towing three donut shaped clouds behind them. While Lightning Dust continued to wow the crowd with her feats of aerial acrobatics, the air crew positioned the clouds into a column above the flat central platform. Satisfied they weren't going to float away, the orange suited pegasi flew back down.

Lightning Dust finished one last loop and once again flew directly for the cliff. Before impact, she flared her wings and held all four legs in front of her. She landed against the sheer rock face between two sections, pushed back with her legs and gave her wings a mighty flap, sending her back towards the center of the aerodrome at a tilt. She approached the lowest ringed cloud and began circling it. The static charge from her contrail began to merge with the fluffy white cloud, and it was soon spitting the amber sparks as it spun on its vertical axis. Dust repeated the process with the two other rings, successively spaced a hundred feet above the other.

She flew to the highest point of her performance and hovered above the spinning tunnel of crackling amber lightning. The crowd sensed that the finale was at hand and worked itself into a crescendo. Lighting Dust dove towards the sparkling circles, the trail of lighting behind her growing in intensity the closer she got. She tucked her wings to her side and held her forelegs straight out in front of her as she passed the first ring. The now pony sized trail of lightning behind her seemed to suck the energy out of the rotating cloud, creating what looked like an electric funnel, with Lightning Dust at the narrowest point. She continued her dive past the second sparking cloud, the bolts of energy once again seemingly anchoring themselves to her tail. She felt the bow shock forming around her outstretched hooves and pushed against it as she passed through the final ring, gathering the last bolts of lightning from it.

She pressed as hard as she could against the speed barrier that had frustrated all pegasi since time immemorial. Lightning Dust, however, had found a way around that frustrating natural phenomenon. Just as the force of the barrier threatened to fling her back up and through the highly charged maelstrom of electricity, she turned and whipped her supercharged tail against the invisible wall. With a sizzling crack, she felt the energy discharge into the barrier and free fell towards the central platform. She righted herself and landed on the flat cloud. She looked above her in satisfaction as the three clouds had been pulled to within ten feet of each other. Within them, the amber lightning bolts ricocheted wildly between the clouds and the unseen barrier. The crowd watched silently as the still fluffy white clouds seemed to trap the tempest of light inside them.

After several seconds, the final shafts of electricity dissipated into the clouds. Lightning Dust stood still where she landed, her chest heaving. The stunned crowd seemed at a loss for words.

"BUCK YEAH!" shouted a rainbow maned pegasus from the flier's paddocks. The outburst echoed up the cliffs and ignited one of the loudest cheers of the day. Lightning Dust basked in the ovation, waving and bowing as the ponies of the Aerodrome yelled their approval. She flew back towards the tunnels to the locker rooms and bumped hooves with Rainbow Dash. "That's my wingpony!" said Dash excitedly. Dust didn't have to say anything back. The wink she sent to her regained friend said all she needed to: "Beat that!"

"That was Lightning Dust! Everypony give her a big round of applause." The sound of ruffling papers echoed through the loudspeakers. "I'm told that she calls that trick, 'Lightning in a Bottle'! While we wait for the crew to reset the airspace, remember that the Wonderbolts will be signing autographs in the Hall of Heroes after their grand finale."

Rainbow Dash tuned out the announcer and focused her mind on the task before her. This moment had played out in her mind since she had fledged and her father had shown her a picture book of the Wonderbolts. She turned and looked at her coaches box where her parents, Chromatic Flash and Firefly, sat with Scootaloo. Her dad flashed her a smile and nodded his head, as if to say, "this is it kid!" Scootaloo had somehow found a red Cloudsdale pennant and was waving it wildly while standing on Dash's father's back. Her mother stood silently, willing her own determination into her daughter.

Behind them, in the seats Twilight had procured, her friends waved and cheered with abandon. Fluttershy, in particular, seemed to have absorbed the festive mood and was jumping wildly from hoof to hoof, chanting "Rainbow Dash; Rainbow Dash; Rainbow Dash!" Applejack had a wide, goofy, smile on her face, but seemed to be staring at the Wonderbolts' box below them. Rarity, in an elegant sunhat wrapped with rainbow colored strip of fabric, clapped and managed that high pitched whistle that Dash had never been able to do by holding a hoof to her lips. Pinkie Pie... well Pinkie Pie seemed to have died and gone to heaven. Three cones of cotton candy were held in her two free hooves, and a pegasus shaped balloon animal was tied to her waist as she bounced up and down in excitement. Argent sat at the seat near the tunnel, his eyes aimed at the higher sections.

Rainbow Dash refocused on the paddock door. The minutes stretched out like hours. The announcer would come on the loudspeaker, increasing her anxiety, only to say something about a deal on cupcakes at the concession stand. "I swear," muttered Dash, "I'm going to find that stallion and shove that microphone so far up his-"

"Our last flier needs little introduction!" blared the speakers, "She's a national hero many times over. She's the Element of Loyalty. She's the mistress of the Sonic Rainboom. Straight out of Cloudsdale: It's Rainbow Dash!"

The door to the small waiting area sprung open and Rainbow Dash darted out faster than she had intended. Catching herself, she slowed and made her way to the central platform. She stood on the flat cloud and looked at the imposing cliff full of cheering ponies. The nerves she had thought she conquered at the Best Young Fliers competition tried to fight their way into her psyche. A magenta flash from near the top of the Aerodrome wall grabbed her attention. She squinted her eyes and made out the form of Twilight Sparkle jumping up and down in excitement. "Can't let her down, she thought to herself, "can't let any of them down."

Rainbow Dash flared her wings and bent her knees. With a single stroke of her wings and a mighty leap, she launched herself into the blue sky, a rainbow contrail following her vertical ascent. She flapped her wings for all she was worth, building up as much speed as she could before banking, turning the vertical ascent into a gradually widening corkscrew. The ribbon of light behind her traced an inverted cone before fading away.

She pulled an extremely sharp turn, followed by several more, until she had traced her mutli-chromatic cutie mark in the sky for all of Canterlot to see. She pulled up on a dime and put on enough speed to feel the familiar pushing of the invisible barrier. She used its elastic properties to slingshot herself towards the arena floor at top speed. A second bow shock formed and she pushed through it just as she disappeared into the thick layer of clouds. Brilliant rays of rainbow light blasted their way through the floor, looking to all the world as if she had somehow flipped the sky upside down and turned the white rays of light from the sun into multi-chromatic shafts of radiance.

She emerged from the floor and hovered just above it. The crowd marveled at the lightshow and flashed their cameras to try and capture the moment for posterity. Dash breathed deeply and began another series of sharp turns and banks, displaying her agility and control. She zigzagged from section to section, leaving a trail of light for the spectators to grab at before it faded away. With a series of ascending loops she soon stopped to a hover in front of the royal box. Twilight stood at the railing, beaming at her friend. Dash reached over and gave the alicorn a hug. "Remember when we first met?" she asked rhetorically.

She winked at the confused mare, slipped her flight goggles over her eyes, and flew towards the center of the arena. She angled back into a dive to put on as much speed as she could before reaching the floor at the direct center of the arena. She somehow managed to turn into a radius so tight, she appeared to be spinning in place. Dash slowly ascended and widened the radius of her constant turn, forming a slowly growing spout of whirling rainbows. She fought with her old friend, the barrier, and pushed it as far she could to increase her speed. Each increase in altitude meant an increase in the size of the circuit she flew, which necessitated an increase of speed to keep the whirlwind stable. It was the Rainblow Dry, done on a colossal scale.

The platform disappeared from view as the cone of colorful wind grew taller and taller engulfing the flat cloud in its vortex. Rainbow Dash reached as high as she dared, for fear of losing control of the artificial tornado. She angled her circuit, causing the whole structure to bend and dance. The constant roar of wind kept her from hearing the near deafening jubilation from the audience. She maintained the dervish for several more seconds before accelerating upwards. She abruptly flared her wings and dove back down towards the still spinning whirlwind. Timing the dive had proven to be the most troublesome part of the trick. She had been thrown into a tailspin on several practice attempts when the tornado collapsed on her before she could finish the trick.

Dash flapped her wings frantically as she coaxed every bit of speed out of her body. The crowd gasped as the cyan pegasus disappeared into the top of the funnel cloud. A resounding thunderclap preceded the explosion of multi-hued light that tore apart the tornado from the inside and splashed against the side of the mountain with a chromatic blast of wind.

Rainbow Dash hovered in place above in the center of the arena, pulled the goggles off of her eyes and let them hang around her neck. The Aerodrome began chanting the mare's name, their voice ringing louder and louder as she slowly approached the paddocks. She waved and blew kisses to the crowd before flapping her way to her coaches box. Her parents rushed in and embraced their daughter from both sides. Scootaloo wrapped the mare's leg in a hug of her own. Rainbow Reached down, picked up the filly, and sat her on her shoulder. She jumped up into her friends' section and fell into a large group embrace. The flash of magenta magic signaled the arrival of the final Element of Harmony. Twilight tossed her crown to Argent and dove into the pile of giggling mares.

"Rainbow Dash, fillies and gentlecolts!" shouted the voice behind the loudspeaker. "It's a good thing she was the last performer: There's not much of an arena left!" The crowd laughed as the Aerodrome crew sealed the fissures the first rainboom had made in the cloud floor. "The 453rd Annual Royal Grand Aerial Display has come to an end, said the voice wistfully, "but here to close out the show are those most daring of pegasi; the fastest things on wings; The Wonderbolts!"

The crowd erupted in celebration as six blue and gold clad figures launched from the lower seats. They cut through the air in a perfect flying V formation, buzzing the stands on several successive passes. Rainbow Dash let herself relax in the embrace of her friends and watched the seasoned pegasi pull of impossible turns and loops she herself would labor to perform. She didn't worry herself with doubts, or wonder if she had done well enough to impress Spitfire. The looks on the faces of her friends and the rest of the crowd was what she had been unconsciously looking for: That one perfect moment of flight that transcended ambition and prestige.

Author's Note:

I missed my target date by a few days this week. Not bad after 10 straight chapters. I should be back on schedule for a thursday/friday release next week.

That's also the 100,000 word mark. Go me!