• Published 16th May 2013
  • 5,749 Views, 89 Comments

JUST In Case... - YourNeighborhoodAlicorn



Spike gets wings, Rainbow Dash helps him fly. LET THE CHEESINESS ENSUE!

  • ...
18
 89
 5,749

Looks Like a Flyin' Guy to Me

"Really Twilight? I can go?!!" Spike said ecstatically. Twilight had given him a friendly, confirming nod. How does one even begin to describe how excited he was? That is not truly possible. Why he's excited? Let me fill you in. He had just been invited to one of the Mane 6's famous "Mares Only" picnics. He could never go due to the fact that it's well... Mares only. That and he always had to stay home to clean the library. He loved the fact that he had been trusted enough to be able to go to one though sort of offended because they thought of him as a mare. He didn't give one flying hay bale though.

See, about a few months ago everything had changed for him. He has matured greatly not physically of course but mentally. But of course the one thing that had truly changed Spike for the better, the one thing that no one had expected. I'll keep you in suspense for a bit, let you soak in and guess what it is.





Figured it out yet? Of course you haven't. No one has, but i'll be generous and inform you.

He gave up on going out with Rarity. Though he still has some feelings for her still, he realized his plight was a lost cause. Things turned out for the better and they were closer friends than ever. Weren't expecting that were you? I WOULD go through the immediate process of just describing WHY he suddenly gave up on something he has always desired ever since he got to the fabled Ponyville. Surely we all agree that's gotten a tad bit stale. Let's let actions speak louder than words for once with a flashback.

--------------------------------A Few Months Ago-----------------------------------

"Spike? Have you finished putting those batch of books in yet?" Twilight said while engaging herself in a very immersive book. Golden Oaks Library was as busy as ever. Even after putting away over 1 million books, it seems he's only made a dent into the large pile on the floor. It was Re-shelving Day and while the town was bustling with life as ever, Twilight and Spike were stuck doing chores. Twilight was handling all the books, reading them and making sure of which section and which bookshelf to place them in, all the while Spike was putting them in order where Twilight would command him to place it. They were just about finished re-shelving and Spike was working as fast as he could see he can go see the mare that took his heart and made it shine like all the gems he eats. Either that or his heart is made of gems. It didn't matter to him anyway.

"Got it Twilight. Anymore books?" Spike said, hyperventilating from putting all the volumes of books and scrolls away.

"Just one more pile," She proceeded to levitate a towering castle made of books and documents towards him dropping it in front of him. His jaw had dropped to the floor after seeing so many books. You could literally build a new house out of that many books! No joke! Twilight noticed Spike was moving sluggishly due to the fact he had been sorting books all day.

"Hey Spike, if you want, i'll take care of these books for you." Twilight had assured him. "My number one assistant deserves a break anyway."

"Really?! Thanks Twilight!" Spike had finally been relieved from all that re-shelving. Although something was wrong for the little drake. He hadn't been expecting Twilight to give him a break. He had no plans today and it was still 3:00 P.M. Maybe a stroll through town will give him an adventure to conquer? Or even better he can go help Rarity! Spike had thought that was a great idea. Though something in the back of his mind was tugging at him. What was the point of helping her? Though he didn't mean it as if he didn't WANT to help her, he thought maybe he should do more than just help her. Helping would've just put him more into the friend zone and he didn't want that. He obviously wanted more out of this relationship than a few conversations about a few dresses and a girly nickname. That, my friends, had pushed him over the edge.

He decided today was going to finally be the day. The day when he would actually confess his feelings for Rarity and ask her out. Spike decided it wouldn't be best if he had headed over there all sweaty from working so he had cleaned himself up, put on the same outfit he wore at the Gala, even went the extra mile and asked Twilight if she could cast the moustache spell on him again. She thought it was stupid but then again he put away almost every single book in the library non-stop so she rewarded him. In his mind, he knew he was ready. The little drake zoomed out the door ready for the best evening ever.

Heading out towards the market, Spike had admired the scenery around him. The local shopkeepers and customers going about their day, trading all sorts of goods from different lands. Celestia's sun was as radiant as ever, brightening anything that it's rays could touch. The breeze had been just right, not too sharp and not too weak. It was the middle of spring, all the flowers coming out to bloom under the aforementioned sun. Roseluck's shop was filled to the brim with customers eager to buy all the flowers that come with the marvelous season of spring. Today was just one of 'those' days. Where everything was alright with the world. A day where you forget all about the troubling problems in your life and you could just let yourself go and relax. Spike had never really taken the time to really enjoy nature as its finest (except when he was with Fluttershy, but that was out of kindness and respect).

He had a task at hand and he couldn't even dare forget about it. As time seemed to fly by, he had arrived at Carousel Beautique in an instant. It seemed as if only a few seconds ago Spike was at the library.

"Time fly's when your in love i guess," Spike said. He had shuttered at how mushy it sounded but it was all true.

As Spike arrived at the front door of Rarity's shop, he saw that the shop was still open thankfully. Yet, he couldn't find himself opening the door. When he would try to put his claw on the doorknob, he would find himself recoiling as he reevaluated his situation. He stopped to think. What if she denies his feelings? What if shes dating someone else? What if when he enters, he finds her dead on the floor? OK, that last one was pretty stupid but nonetheless he was preparing himself mentally if he had gotten rejected. Though he hoped he didn't, i mean he could he? As dashing as he was now, he wouldn't suprised if every mare in town wanted to go out with him. He might have even heard some pony's in town compliment him. It was a foolproof plan. Go inside, wow Rarity with his looks, confess his feelings and win her heart. It was that simple right?

Right?

Thus Spike, with his renewed confidence, opened the door and marched in.

While Spike was outside nervously deciding whether he should go in or not, Rarity was as stressed as ever. She had just gotten any order from Princess Celestia and Luna herself! The Princesses! She can NOT be distracted as this will be the finest dresses she had ever made in her entire lifetime. She sent Sweetie Belle over with Fluttershy to ensure NO distractions as she didn't have time for it. Celestia gave her as much time as she needed but Rarity knew that just meant she had to work even faster than Rainbow Dash doing a Sonic Rainboom. She got infamous sewing machine out which she had named 'Sew Me' and got the first piece of fabric.

Right then and there Spike had entered the shop, the bell on the top ringing as it alerted Rarity that she had forgotten to put flip the 'Open' sign to 'Closed' and lock the door. She could dismiss a potential customer but that would mean he or she would get infuriated and go around patronizing her business. She couldn't have that now could she? She had headed over to her door, ready to greet whoever it was.

"Welcome to Carousel Beautique, the finest dres- Spike?" She had saw Spike dressed up almost as fancy as Fancy Pants himself.

"Oh Spikey, your dressed so adorably! Whats the occasion?" Rarity asked. If she had been this oblivious to Spike's feelings then she must have a mental inefficiency.

Spike closed the door dumbfounded to find Rarity already standing in front of him.

"Oh hey Rarity... C-Can we talk?" Spike was as nervous as Fluttershy when she had started modelling.

"Anything for my Spikey-Wikey. Although you must make it quick as i have a very demanding order from the Princess herself and i must attend to it right away." Spike had thought at the sound of that frilly nickname that he might just have a chance. He led himself over to Rarity's drama couch and sat down on it while twiddling his thumbs. Rarity had sat down next to him.

"So what is it you needed to tell me Spike?" She had asked in her 'ladylike' voice she would put on whenever she was around her friends.

Spike inhaled deeply, ready for the emotional train heading his way.

"Rarity, i-i-i-i-i-...." He couldn't spit it out.

Spike was starting to get very nervous. He thought he was prepared to admit his feelings to Rarity, dump all the pent up affection from inside him. Turns out this was gonna be a bit more difficult than he thought. He was doubting himself as he couldn't form the words that could describe his love for Rarity.

But then, he remembered Rarity. He remembered all the times he had with her. When he had turned into a full blown dragon and kidnapped her and yet she had still considered him a friend and hay they even grew closer after that. He especially couldn't forget about the kiss on the cheek she gave him. That moment will probably be engraved in his dragon mind for generations to come. He still could remember it like as if it was two seconds ago. It had been playing back in his mind over and over.

No more waiting. He promised himself he would come out and say it and he always keeps a promise.

"Rarity," he paused for good effect, "I've always had feelings for you. Before i got to Ponyville, i never really loved anyone as much as i have with you. When i heard that we were staying in Ponyville for a short while, i didn't want to come. But when i arrived and i saw you, my heart flew. Your beautiful purple mane flowing through your silky white fur coat entranced me. I was wondering if you could make this little dragon happy and go out with me."

Rarity didn't know what to say. Who wouldn't? She didn't know how to react. She certainly wasn't expecting Spike to come over and admit that he has feelings for her. She always thought all those times of him helping at the beautique was just him being a good friend. She never thought of it more as that. But at the same time, she didn't like Spike 'that way'. Sure, she would've considered it if he was just a bit more mature physically but he was very mature for his age. She couldn't see it happening though.

"Spike..." Rarity had put her head down at the thought of letting her closest friend down. "I'm sorry Spike. I just don't like you that way. Don't get me wrong darling, you are a very handsome young colt and i love the way you complimented me in your story but i don't have the same feelings that you have towards me. I want to be just friends."

Spike stood motionless as his worst fears had been confirmed. He had dreaded that statement 'I want to be just friends.'. He knew it was coming but he wasn't well prepared for it. His mind had been sent into shambles as though Pinkie had shot her Party Cannon in there. Paralyzed from head to tail, He couldn't move one scale on his body.

"Spike? Are you alright darling?" Rarity had said with worry in her voice.

"I... Sorry for wasting your time Rarity..." He said sullenly. He proceeded to get off the couch and walk slowly to the door.

He started to walk to the door as Rarity remained sitting on the couch guilty about what she had said to Spike. She hadn't expected her scaly pal to get into such a depression. Spike opened the door, getting blinded by the sudden blast of sunlight. The sun he had been admiring before had now been just one more thing to cause more discomfort.

As he stepped out, he was still wondering what had just happened. He thought everything would go just right. He would've left with Rarity in his hand heading out to eat at the fanciest restaurant in town. He had headed back to the library, going through the back roads of town to avoid talking to anypony. It felt as if he had been mugged and beat up from the inside of his body. His walking speed kept gaining momentum, soon turning into a speed walk, then sprinting. His tearducts had erupted with an ocean of tears as he was running home.

As he got back to the library, he ran in without even bothering to close the door. He ran up to Twilight and hugged in a huge embrace, still bawling over the sorrowful events. Twilight, dumbfounded to find Spike crying frantically, closed the door with her magic and held him in her hooves.

"Spike, what happened to you? Why are you crying?" Twilight worried as she was worried for her number one assistant.

Spike had calmed down after a few minutes. although tears were still welling in his eyes, he managed to explain to Twilight about the trip to Rarity's shop and about how he had admitted his feelings to her. She had known this was bound to one day happen and she would have to be there for him.

"Spike, just because Rarity doesn't like you, that doesn't mean she isn't your friend. I'm sure you'll find someone else who is special to you. Besides, there's plenty of mares in the sea." Spike didn't know what that meant, and why ponies would be living underwater but that didn't matter to him. His heart was shattered and he would never be able to find someone as special as Rarity.

After a week or so, things had started to look up for Spike. Rarity had came to make amends and get him out of his depression. Spike had come to accept her as just a friend and they continued their lives as usual. Like i said at the beginning, Spike had been maturing mentally. Yet at heart, he was still the good lil Spike was all know and love.

-------------------------------------------Present Time--------------------------------------------

Normally Spike would always spend his free time helping Rarity but ever since they've been 'Just Friends' He hasn't been visiting as often as he did before. Nowadays you see him helping out everypony in town. He was even invited into the CMC club, even though he wasn't a pony, he was a blank flank. He would help Roseluck tend to her flowers, go with Fluttershy and take care of animals with her, help Applejack with chores around the farm. Every day would be something different and he grew closer to his friends with each passing moment.

In the library Spike was still jumping for joy about the picnic.

"Now Spike, you can go but on one condition," Twilight said. "You have to finish all of the chores before we head out."

Spike looked around to see the library in a horrible condition. There were books from Twilight's late night reading lying all over the place and recently Owlicious had started shedding feathers. His cage had gotten so full of them, they started to fall all over the floor. Spike knew it was gonna take a miracle to clean up this library. He wasn't going to get one anytime soon. Taking matters into his own hands, Spike grabbed his little apron and broom and immediately started working his cleaning magic.

Twilight may have magic but when it comes to cleaning, it's no joke for Spike. He had started his usual cleaning route by starting at the dirtiest place which is the kitchen, and working his way from there. When he got to the kitchen, it was about tenfold more dirtier than what it was back in the living room. There lay home to countless unwashed dishes and spoiled leftovers which had not been eaten. The smell was so putrid, Spike had hold his breath to keep himself from gagging as so he doesn't dirty the floor more than it should be.

Almost in no time, Spike had finished cleaning the kitchen, leaving him quite exhausted. Though he knew his work wasn't done there. No, it had just been the beginning of cleaning this massive pigsty. The good thing was he got the dirtiest place of his home cleaned. That's really all that mattered. After about some time later, Spike finished cleaning every room in the library, leaving no inch dirty. Even Twilight was amazed at how fast he could clean up.

Spike had finished with just enough time to spare before the picnic. After taking a quick shower, he hopped on Twilight's back and headed over to the usual picnic spot.

It was around five and soon Luna would be taking over the sky. The familiar breeze had been soaring through the air. The sun was giving up it's fight against the moon as it had been rising to take over the fair land of Equestria. Twilight had arrived with Spike a bit earlier than expected.

"I wonder where everypony is." questioned Twilight.

Almost as if her question had been answered, Applejack had arrived at the picnic site.

"Howdy, Twilight. Heyyah, Spike," Applejack said in her usual southern accent.

"Hey, Applejack." The drake and unicorn said in unison.

"Ya'll are here mighty early." Applejack said while proceeding to sit by the blanket all the while admiring the horizon. "Ya gotta admit, Celestia sure done outdid herself with this here sunset."

Spike and Twilight looked out where Applejack was gazing and proceeded to nod. It was a very nice sunset. Who wouldn't agree? The orange and red rays of light combine in the ocean blue sky to create a masterpiece of colors that can make a pony admire the beauty in nature. Sad that the moon will have to rob them of this musical of colors playing out before them, Twilight, Spike, and Applejack were just glad they could admire it in the peaceful silence. Though that silence hadn't lasted long for Pinkie had appeared out of a tree. She had seemed to have knocked the trio back into reality from the entrancing sight that was the sky. She always had a way of doing that.

"Pinkie?" Twilight said while recovering from Pinkie's sudden surprise. "You scared me..."

"Sorry about that Twilight! I was just so excited about this picnic that i couldn't contain myself! So i hid in a tree and waited for you guys to show up. And then SURPRISE!" Pinkie was jumping up and down like a little schoolfilly. She opened her saddlebag and pulled out a picnic basket which contained baked goods made fresh from Sugar Cube Corner.

I swear, one day i'll know how she works... Spike thought. He proceeded to open the basket and marvel at the delicious creations Mr. and Mrs.Cake had worked up. Most of the food had been made for pony's but they didn't forget about Spike, for they had whipped some gem cupcakes which he dearly loved. He had started drooling at the sight of them and tried reaching for one of them. A purple hoof showed up to stop him.

"Now, now Spike, i know your hungry, but we have to wait for the rest of our friends to show up." Twilight gently giving him a 'just wait' smile. Spike sat back down, occasionally glaring at the picnic basket.

Almost like a blur, a certain cyan pegasus came zooming out from the clouds, quickly coming to a tight stop at the picnic site.

"What up guys?" She said in her usual boastful voice. "Oh yeah that's right. Me!" She proceeded to laugh at her own pun as the rest of the ponies were still dumdfounded at how fast she managed to stop at the velocity she was going in. Fluttershy had flown in the same path Rainbow Dash had came, only a lot more slower and graceful like. She had been humming a small tune to herself.

"Hey Fluttershy, i didn't see you following me." Rainbow Dash had greeted her.

"Oh...Um...Sorry..." She said in her timid tone.

"What are you apologizing for? I don't mind." Rainbow Dash reassured her.

Now the only one not here yet was Rarity. The rest of the gang had been sitting and talking to each other, waiting for Rarity to arrive so they can start scarfing down their lunch. It was expected of Rarity to be fashionably late, but she must have been trying to pull off a fashion statement with how late she was.

"Buck it! I'm eating whether Rarity gets here or not!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed as she went for the picnic basket. Making a rather seemingly vague appearance, Rarity had showed up in a very elegant gown. It had seemed to be made of a very silky material. It flowed elegantly along her side and the very tip of it ended at the length of her tail.

"A bit overdressed dont'cha think Rares?" Rainbow Dash said while gazing at the outfit Rares considered casual.

"Darling, there is no such thing as overdressed." She said while pouting for good effect. "Now that i'm here, we can finally start eating."

Spike couldn't wait to hear those words. He had immediately went into the basket and started serving everypony as fast as he could so he can get to his delicious muffins. After everypony had gotten their fair share of food, he picked up his own platter and started eating.

Although, something was wrong for Spike. He felt that pain in his lower back again. See, Spike had been feeling these random moments of pain coming from his back, but he assumed it was due to a bad night's sleep. The pain had been getting worse with each moment. Spike had managed to hold the pain in and go through his day. This time it was different.

Spike felt extreme pain in his lower back now. Much more stronger than before. The pain had only started to escalate quicker. He couldn't bear it anymore. It felt as if his back was going to explode. Spike had gotten to the point where he started screaming in pain. All the ponies immediately noticed and rushed over to help him.

"Spike, whats wrong?!!" Twilight exclaimed, worried for her dragon assistant.

Spike could only reply with ruthless screams. Now it felt as if something was trying to stick itself out of his back. The pain had been tripled and whatever was trying to get out of his back wasn't helping either. Two large bumps were now growing on the outer layer of his back.

Spike couldn't take the pain anymore. He was on the verge of blacking out. The two engorged bumps had been growing in size, getting larger with every second that passed. Spike was losing his balance as his vision blurred.

Right before Spike was about to collapse, two large wings erupted from his back. Spike had stopped screaming completely due to the fact that he was paralyzed. He was shocked at the pain he just went through. He fell over and blacked out, last thing he remembered was excruciating pain and two wings popping out from his back.

Now with an unconscious Spike on their hands, the ponies had to take action immediately.

"Spike!" Twilight rushed over to her knocked out assistant and grabbed him with her magic.

Twilight had examined the pair of wings that grew out of his back. They were the same color as him and had scales like his.

"We have to take him to the hospital!" Rainbow Dash said. Twilight nodded in agreement and levitated his body on top of Rainbow Dash. She extended her wings and took flight, being extra careful not to let the dragon fall. The rest of the ponies followed stead. It was bad enough he was knocked out, he didn't need a concussion either.

Spike was dazed as he woke up in a hospital bed to a beeping heart monitor and everypony sitting around his bed. All of them had fallen asleep, except for Twilight of course.

"Finally you're awake Spike." Twilight sighed in relief. "I was worried you weren't ever gonna wake up."

"Aw, come on Twilight. I'm tougher than that, y'know." Spike said.

"Well, what exactly happened out there?" Twilight had said, wanting answers.

"Um... Well what happened was..." Spike then continued to explain to Twilight about pain and sorrow he had experienced back at the picnic.

"Why didn't you tell me Spike? I would've immediately dropped everything and got you checked out." Twilight had given him an angry expression.

"I didn't want you to worry..." Spike had given her a 'Don't Hurt Me' look.

"Well, at least you're alive. So what are you gonna do now with these wings? Can you move them at all?" Twilight had began to get an envied look at she knew of all the reports she can send to Celestia about the newfound wings of Spike.

"I haven't really tried yet..." Spike began to move his left wing just a bit but no more than that. "I could move it a little bit but it hurts to move them."

"You probably just need to get adjusted to them." Rainbow Dash had said while yawning from her nap. "That's how it was when i started flying for the first time."

"Man... Think of all the places i can go with these babies..." Spike had begun to daydream of him travelling all over Equestria. Manehattan, Trottingham, Las Pegasus... Twilight was looking at him with the same angry expression as earlier.

"Don't even think about it Spike..." Twilight had yawned.

"Hey Spike, if you want, when we get out of here, i could teach ya how to use those wings like a master. Though, you probably won't be as skilled as me." Rainbow Dash had begun to flex.

"Sure Rainbow." Spike had rolled his eyes at the cyan pegasus's boastfulness.

Author's Note:

Man, that took way longer than it should have. I barely get any free time nowadays. First Romance so go easy on the comments guys. Next chapter planned for this weekend.