• Published 16th Sep 2013
  • 8,078 Views, 89 Comments

Shadows of Giants - kaiju and pony fan



Fluttershy, after being sucked into a mysterious portal and transformed, finds herself in a world where humans try to survive in the shadows of giants.

  • ...
13
 89
 8,078

A Frightful Alliance

The chameleon slowly prowled towards its prey, a grasshopper. The lizard's elongated telescope-like eyes were currently locked on its food while its hand-like feet gripped the sides of the branches. The chameleon opened its mouth, and in the blink of an eye, snagged the grasshopper in its sticky long tongue. After reeling in its prize, the lizard's left eye looked upwards to see a giant black shape plummeting out of the setting sun. However, just like the prey it feasted on, the chameleon was too slow to act as a mountain of spikes and chiton slammed into the jungles of Solgell, flinging the lizard far into the air.

The beast rose to its full height while furling its four, blood-red, bat-like wings and examining its surroundings. The Kaiju itself looked like something out of a nightmare. Its body was covered in a red-violet carapace with some bone-white spikes sticking out of its legs and two thick red ones on its shoulders. Its segmented, scorpion-like tail ended in a sharp, earwig-like pincer. Its chest was decorated with a bony floral pattern that gave off the appearance of a secondary, circular mouth. The beast had three sharp talons for fingers. Its head was by far the most frightening thing about it. Two winglike crests as red as blood rested on each side of its dragon-like face with three tusks on each side of its mouth. A yellow sword-like horn protruded from its forehead and glowing, yellow, pupil-less eyes scanned the horizon. The monster had a name too: Destoroyah.

Destoroyah sniffed the air and hissed as though it were searching for something and yet had no idea what he was searching for. The Micro-Oxygen based Precambrian hissed again as he began to lumber across the jungle that used to be the old hunting grounds of the spider Kaiju Kumonga and the mantis Kaiju Kamacuras. Suddenly, Destoroyah caught something off the corner of his compound eye and was greeted with a sight that both angered and surprised him.

A second Kaiju descended from the sky almost like a feather. This Kaiju was slightly taller than Destoroyah. In many ways it looked almost exactly like Godzilla. However, there were... several differences. For starters, while Godzilla was a dark, charcoal gray, this look-alike was a deep purple with a red underbelly. Its head was tipped with an orange, three-pointed crown and four tusks on each side of its mouth. The most defining feature about it was the fact it was covered with crystals. Two giant crystals protruded from its shoulders, an entire cluster of crystals rested on the tip of its tail and its dorsal spikes were merely serrated crystalline protrusions. The creature was named SpaceGodzilla; a name which started out as a joke among the people of G-Force due to his origins which somehow stuck with the space-born Kaiju.

The crystalline twin of the King of the Monsters appeared to ignore the demonic Oxygen Destroyer after-product and looked around at his surroundings, scanning the environment with blood red eyes. Destoroyah hissed at the very sight of this newcomer, both determined to protect the territory he called his own and because of how much this new Kaiju looked like the same monster his catalyst was supposed to have destroyed in 1954.

Destoroyah stomped forward and let out a barking shriek at the newcomer. SpaceGodzilla briefly looked over his shoulder at the demonic Kaiju in an almost uninterested fashion, seemingly judging him with red eyes before turning his back on him as if not even thinking the winged Alpha was worth any of his time.

Big mistake, at least, that's what it seemed for Destoroyah. The bony frill of the mutated Precambrian organism began to spark for a moment before the beast opened his jaws and let loose a purple stream of Micro-Oxygen, striking the crystalline Godzilla lookalike in the back. SpaceGodzilla stumbled for a moment, letting out a shrieking roar. Once he recovered, SpaceGodzilla turned to face Destoroyah, his eyes narrowed into blood-red slits and his lips pulled back into a snarl. Destoroyah spread out his wings and a wild yowl erupted from his throat as if satisfied that he had gotten the space Kaiju's attention. Well, he did... and he was about to regret it.

SpaceGodzilla curled his left paw's talons into a fist, red energy sparking around his fingers and roared his own challenge. Destoroyah charged forward with another yowling roar. With a hiss, SpaceGodzilla slammed his fist into the ground... and a row of crystalline spikes erupted from the ground, slamming into the Alpha. Before Destoroyah could even recover, he felt himself being lifted from the ground. This was very confusing. He wasn't using his wings. Why was he suddenly being lifted off the ground? He got his answer as he spotted SpaceGodzilla slowly lifting his right hand upwards, green energy coming out of his shoulder crystals. All of a sudden, the clone of Godzilla turned his hand down and swiped in one quick motion, slamming Destoroyah into the ground.

Hissing, Destoroyah got back on his feet and fired another Micro-Oxygen Beam at his enemy's red chest. However, unlike last time, what looked like a sheet of crystals shaped like a mirror appeared in front of SpaceGodzilla and caused it to bounce off and slice the ground, destroying layers of soil and uprooting trees. SpaceGodzilla countered by releasing a stream of energy from his mouth that seemed to be alive at Destoroyah, erupting in sparks and burned chiton.

Angered, the demonic Kaiju charged once again, his horn glowing a bright yellow and crackling with energy. He swung his head down, his horn like a sword. Unfortunately for him, SpaceGodzilla had brought back the shield, causing the Laser Horn to strike at nothing but psionically hardened air. In his rage, the winged Kaiju swung his horn on the shield again and again, hoping to shatter it. SpaceGodzilla then raised his hand again and ensnared his opponent in the Gravity Tornado which he once again used to slam him to the ground. However, at the same time, he had dropped his guard allowing Destoroyah to whip out his pincered tail and grab the Godzilla clone by the neck. The tail then arched backwards, vaulting the crystalline Kaiju into the edge of the jungle before he crashed with the force of three M.O.A.B.s.

With another wild yowl, Destoroyah stood up and charged at SpaceGodzilla, his claws extended and horn crackling with energy. SpaceGodzilla stood up and prepared his Corona Beam... until four yellow beams struck the ground in between both Kaiju, stopping Destoroyah in his tracks and causing SpaceGodzilla to look around. Both Kaiju looked upwards and saw a third Kaiju slowly descending from the skies. The Kaiju was vaguely humanoid, with black skin and bony white armor covering its body. A long, whiplike tail ending in a double fork curled around its legs. It had skull-like armor on its shoulders and four red eyes, one on each shoulder pad as if they were heads of its own. Its name was Monster X.

Destoroyah and SpaceGodzilla eyed the skeletal Alpha as if they were waiting for him to make his move only to be greeted with the sight of another Kaiju flying towards them. The Kaiju had a very biomechanical look to it. Its body was as dark as the night sky with three red fins protruding from its back. The avian head of the Kaiju had a single, red eye with a lighter red dot that seemed to act as a pupil. Two metallic mandibles rested on each side of its toothed beak. Instead of hands, the Kaiju had two scythes, each with a pair of grappling hooks resting below the curved blades. The same could also be said about its feet which ended in a single claw for a toe. A long tail tipped with a multi-pronged claw whipped out behind it. Its most defining feature was the buzzsaw in its abdomen. The monster was once a biomechanical weapon used by the humans that went rogue. Its name was Gigan.

Following Gigan in his flying form was Hedorah, the Smog Monster. The saucer shaped creature went into a dive before splattering into a puddle, covering the area of jungle he landed in with acidic ooze that dissolved and ate away at the trees. The puddle of poisonous muck stretched and contorted into a humanoid creature with red eyes that let out a gurgling roar.

All five Alpha class Kaiju turned their heads at the sound of a piercing shriek that sounded almost like cruel laughter. Just then a golden creature shot from out of the sky and hit the ground feet first, sending up trees and other debris into the sky. The monster before the five Kaiju rose to its full height, dwarfing them all in size. The monster was covered in glittering scales. It had sail-like wings each tipped sharp, dagger-like claws. The creature didn't have arms, instead it had two extra heads, each on long snake-like necks. The heads on the beast looked like classic European dragons crossed with Chinese dragons due to the antlers on the middle head. Twin tails whipped behind it.

The monster was in many ways evil in its purest form. While its scales were as golden as the high noon sun, its heart was as black as pitch. The death of the dinosaurs and the fall of civilizations such as Nilal Kunai, Lemuria, Seatopia and Mu were all of its doing. It was an unwanted by-product of the Earth as it formed, only briefly stopped by one Kaiju and imprisoned until human interference unleashed it into the world once more. It was the King of Terror. Ghidrah. The Destroyer. King Ghidorah.

Ghidorah's three heads observed the gathered Kaiju before him before his middle head curled its lips into a grin. Monster X and Gigan took their places to the King of Terror's side as if they were a pair of royal guards. Right there, Ghidorah's snake-like eyes glowed and images began to fill the minds (and whatever passed for a mind for Hedorah). Images of the gathered Kaiju fighting Godzilla... only to lose.

For Hedorah, being thrown into an electrical plant that dried his gelatinous physiology while Godzilla's volcanic blue flame boiled what passed for flesh. Gigan being grabbed by the tail and thrown into a building. SpaceGodzilla's vision consisted of him being slammed into a crystal spire he had created. Destoroyah was greeted with a vision of him being overcome by a snowy avalanche, brought upon him by Godzilla's Atomic Ray. Monster X saw himself having his face being planted into the side of a building while the King of the Monsters repeatedly punched him. Finally there was King Ghidorah. For him, it was the vision of being grabbed by his twin tails by Godzilla and slammed into the ground while his fire scorched his golden scales.

It was there the six gathered Kaiju came across a surprising revelation as their visions faded away: They all had a score to settle with the King of the Monsters. Ghidorah's message was also very clear: Destroy Godzilla together. Ghidorah's three heads flashed savage looking grins before he let out a roar to SpaceGodzilla, Hedorah and Destoroyah in hopes of receiving his alliance, to which they responded in kind. However, Ghidorah also felt something else. Something strange. Something that felt as if it should not have been allowed in this world. It was weak yes, but he could feel it... and he wanted to find out what or who it was, even if he had to burn the whole of human civilization to the ground. He would have it and nothing, not even Godzilla would get in his way. Nothing.

Author's Note:

And here we finally get introduced to our villains. Sorry if I changed the origins of King Ghidorah and Gigan. Next chapter, we take a bit of a break from monsters.