• Published 8th May 2013
  • 556 Views, 61 Comments

Hunting the 6 - Starblazer225



Never in all my life have i questioned my very morals and logic. There was... something more to those words they said in their last moments of life that made me think. Was what i was doing right? Or is this all a big mistake?

  • ...
6
 61
 556

Warmth From A Stranger

We walked out into the street, littered with ponies who’ve been enveloped into a beast called the real world and have drowned in substance know as poverty. Amongst their broken faces and worn clothes their minds probably barely held a single thought of what this was and maybe dreamed of what life would have been. Some lay in the street under the bright aurora of light casted down by lamps lit by oil. Many of those who laid there were, only once in a while, covered in a think blanket of rats tearing at the flesh of a horse, mare, or colt locked into an eternal sleep.

I pasted by one, his face casted down to the cobblestone sidewalk as a small cart behind him housed his few belongings. His body torn from hunger and lacerations that covered his sides made him look close to dead. This was a sad sight for anypony who had never found it usual in wherever they were from.

This was the South Oil District of Canterlot, located far South of any actual livable dwelling, yet here they are. They’re penniless, homeless, jobless, every ‘less’ you could probably imagine they had to deal with.

Baritone and I walked down on of these cold-cold sidewalks. He kept his eyes locked onto the ground as he walked. He looked up for a second but then right back to the ground. The air was getting colder as the sky grew dark. A light fog began to roll in and the city’s streetlamps glowed through the dense haze that had sprouted from nowhere.

The entire time Star and I walked down the cobblestone walkway my mind was desperately searching for an answer as to why that mare did what she did. My mind twisted and contorted trying to dig for an answer but alas I found none. She said something about her teacher and not wanting to kill her. On the information about her it said that Princess Celestia taught her magic. Could she have? No, she couldn’t have, if she did though, how did she manage that? How can you kill something immortal? It didn’t add up, how did she do it…

How could she do it?

Traveling up next to the road I started to wonder if my cousin got my letter yet, whether or not she wrote back and it was at the little safety deposit mail box that was at the address I’d left on the letter.

“Starblazer,” I said getting he attention. He sort of glanced over to me.

“Would ya’ mind doin’ me a favor today?” He shifted his gaze back towards the road ahead of us.

“It all depends, what you want me to do?” He asked me.

“Do you remember that address I should ya’?” I asked him. He nodded calmly before taking his hat off and adjusting his mane atop his head.

“Would ya’ mind running down there, seein if my cousin wrote back to me yet.” I slightly begged him. His face contorted a bit as he thought of it for a minute.

“I guess it couldn’t hurt.” He said biting his lip a bit.

“It’s kinda a long walk though.” Star muttered under his breath.

“I’ll grab it and meet you back at the hotel.” He said turning in the other direction and walking away down farther into the haze of the modern world. Now that he was gone I stood here. Alone in a shawl of cold embrace of what had been created. It’s cold and ruthless, this changing of times, I remember when all of us were happy with how simple it was. That’s why I live far away from everypony else, so I can move along at my own pace, so this new world isn’t forced onto me.

Caught by the wind, a newspaper found its way flying through a hot breeze and stuck to my leg. I pulled it off and looked at it. The titles and headlines had filled me with a certain rage towards this-this putrid decade and this advancement.

“Fourteen school children killed in classroom,” I read aloud.

“Two newly-weds massacred in courtroom, four stallions committed suicide yesterday morning, three mares foun’ dead in hotel bathroom.” This was disturbing, I kill ponies and stallions for a living and this was disturbing. So many dying, so many being slaughtered, I had never remembered this happening in such great numbers before.

“It’s sad, isn’t it?” I heard a soft feminine voice from behind me. I didn’t even look back to the figure. The voice though was slow and sweet, like honey to the ears.

“This is what happens with progress,” The voice said, it was familiar sounding voice, like I had heard it somewhere before.

“Three children hung from building in downtown,” I read aloud also.

“Why is this happenin’?” I asked still not acknowledging the mare behind me.

“When the times change, so do others.” She stated softly. With that she walked in front of me. Blue and white bangs had been separated and fixed nicely and sat neatly below a maroon red fedora like hat that was pricked up on one side and fell flat onto the other side of her face only revealing one blue eye. She wore a long brown and burgundy dress draped on her with a black vest over that. Her face was soft and forgiving, her eyes shone brightly as she stared at me with complete bliss. It was the little mare from the station back in Sycamore Valley.

“I remember you,” she said looking into my eyes closely. I peered back into the blue pools in her eyes.

“You’re the one from the station four or so days ago.” I looked away from the deep blue in her eyes and stared at the street beside us.

She stepped back into vision staying within my focus.

“You’ve had a long hard life, stranger.” She said lifting a hoof to my chin and bringing it to face her.

“I can see it in your eyes my friend.” She pointed out taking her hat off showing her short elegant mane.

“In hard times like this, ponies like me, and stallions like you. We need friends.” I stepped away. And walked around her. She didn’t move, I saw the formation of a frown begin to form as I crossed her.

“I don’ want any friends.” I said as I walked away. Then I felt something press up against my side. It felt good but alien, as if somepony was leaning on me.

“You don’t want any,” she said with big beautiful eyes.

“But you need them.” I was ready to knock her into the gutter and walk away leaving her there. I didn’t, there was something about her that was different. She made me feel something deep down, deeper than I had ever felt. That feeling tore deeper, almost like my heart was indecisive as well as my brain. She began to speak again.

“What’s your name stranger?” She asked calmly still against my side.

“Golden,” I said. I’m not sure how to feel about her. I felt almost comfortable around her, as if she had a aura of security and warmth around her I had never felt in anyone before now. She was a light, a fire if you may, among this cold world that had surrounded me. I felt close, I felt happy, and I felt something else. What is that feeling that I’ve never felt before. It was almost as if deep down I felt that this world of progress had innovation had been numbed, softened and was less cruel than it really was.

“My name’s Colgate.” She muttered. I was not sure where to go with this, what should I do? What should I say? I just kept watching my hooves be carried forward and touch the concrete. I looked over and watched her small legs move along with mine but faster. I had no direction as to where I

“You’re not from around here, are you Golden?” She asked me moving a bit closer. I thought of a question but I feared something like that would have been frowned upon.

“Yer lonely, arencha’?” I had to ask, no matter how rude it might have been. Her face withdrew and flared with bright red.

“Quite an unusual question to ask stranger,” She said shyly her face still a little red.

“Not the kind of thing you don’t upright ask.” My wit started to get the better of me.

“Usually one ain’t attracted to a stallion that they just met.” I said looking down to her. A smile crossed her face before she opened her mouth. She thought for a second, her mouth still wide open.

“H-how did you know I am attracted to you?” She asked quietly.

“I can see it… In your eyes.” She looked down as she blushed again and tried to hold back a smile. She looked back up to me, her piercing blue eyes that stared me hard in the face, cutting deep into my soul like a knife through a soft apple. She bit her lip and looked down.

“I’m sorry to bothered you,” She said looking at her hooves that scratched the sidewalk so gently.

“But, next time you’re free,” she added pulling a card out of an inside pocket of her vest.

“Visit me sometime.” She said putting the card in one of the pockets of my duster. I didn’t take my eyes off her. As she walked away I heard her say one thing before being absorbed by the city streets and the fog.

“I’ll see you around,” She stopped and looked back at me, her eyes half closed.

“Golden.” With finishing that she left me there with a warmth, a wanting for something… more. This feeling was different, I wanted to be around her, I wanted to follow her. Now I’m standing here in the middle of a city I am completely lost in, I have five more ponies that have their days numbered, a heart hungry for something that I had just recently found.

“Hey!” I heard from behind me snapping me out of my trance.

“Golden!” I heard someone call out from behind me. I turned to the figure approaching me, Star was galloping towards me at full speed.

“Guess what?” He asked enthusiastically.

“Might I ask what?” I said to him.

“You have to guess!” He said to me with a playful tone. Stuff like this just pisses me off, makes me want to put holes through walls. Something ignited deep down and I snapped. I stood to my hind legs and gripped his collar of his jacket and lifted him up off the ground.

“I ain’t the playing type, ya hear?” He looked at me a little shocked. His mouth hung wide open as he stared at me with shock.

“Now, what is it?” I asked barring and gritting my teeth. He reached into his trench coat and pulled out an envelope with a bright red wax seal holding it shut. I switched gazes between the letter and Starblazer. He said one thing that changed my whole mood.

“It’s from your cousin.”