• Published 6th May 2013
  • 3,617 Views, 40 Comments

Eternal sorrow of an innocent soul - Flutterfan457



Spike had lost all his closest friends and now had to live with the princesses and the horrid pain of loss

  • ...
1
 40
 3,617

chapter 1

Celestia was sitting on her throne, staring at nothing, lost in her thoughts over the events of the past few days. Days seemed to stretch for longer and longer. Nothing seemed the same anymore. She took a deep breath. So many loved ones taken from her. Twilight and her friends, her nephew-in-law...all taken by the grasp of time. She'd watched them all grow and become amazing people. Saw them laugh, cry, learn and bring immeasurable joy to her life. Then she watched them age, weaken, slow down and finally pass away, leaving behind so many memories that brought both pain and joy. She placed a hoof to her mouth to cover her sob, trying not to alert anyone to her plight. She had been forced to watch so many waste away before her, friends from so many years gone to the flow of time. She could barely remember them, it was so long ago. But these ponies.....she could never forget them. They were family to her. They did more in equestria than anyone could realize. She loved them like her own children, and her heart ached knowing they were gone. But she took comfort in knowing they went in peace, surrounded by the families they built over the years. They were content with accepting their rest.

But......

Celestia shook as she sobbed.

Spike. Sweet innocent little Spike.

He was cursed with immortality as she was. But he could never truly grow and mature properly. Dragons only grew through selfishness and cruelty. He had learned from the ponies too well. He was a good hearted creature. He could never grow to equal dragons, let alone survive among them. He was trapped forever as a baby dragon. Twilight new this in her late years. She had done all she could to make sure he was taken care of, despite her advanced age. Celestia used her magic to open the letter Twilight had sent her and read through it once more.


Dear Princess Celestia,
I write to you what may be my last letter. I know my time is coming. Please do not feel sad for me. I have lived a good life and was blessed with many good friends. I will leave without fear, but relief to know I did well in my life. I write to you to ask that you take in Spike. You know he cannot grow and mature as other dragons. He may never be able to fend for himself. You are the only one I trust with him. Please, see that he is taken care of.
Your faithful student
Twilight Sparkle

Celestia set down the letter and wiped her eyes.


She had decided to set out to speak to Twilight herself. She felt she should bring her and Spike back to Canterlot to be taken care of. She also wanted to help Twilight explain to Spike what was happening, to try and comfort him; no doubt he would be crushed by this. She set out immediately, not bothering with her chariot, wanting to provide any amount of security to them before her student was gone.

Fate was not so kind.

As soon as Celestia approached Twilight's library, she heard Spike sobbing and screaming at Twilight.

"Twilight, please! Please get up!"

Celestia ran inside, slamming the door open. She felt a cold shiver run through her as her student was laying on her desk motionless, on top of a book, her reading glasses perched on her nose. Spike was endlessly pulling her arm, screaming in horror and panic, trying to get her to respond. Spike had seen their other five friends and Shining Armor pass away, he had been devastated to see them go, but this hurt him the most. Spike's bond with Twilight was stronger than anyone could truly understand. They were each a part of one another. Celestia pulled Spike away from Twilight and hugged him as he wailed at her.

"Princess, please! Make her get up! Your magic can save her! Please!"

Celestia could only hold him, weeping herself, wishing she could do that. But she knew, her student was gone, one of the most wonderful ponies she had ever met was gone. She gently caressed Spike, trying to calm him, but he couldn't. He couldn't stop weeping for the loss of the pony he loved the most. Celestia started to hum, a beautiful gentle sound Spike somehow found oddly familiar and comforting. It was the same thing she did for him as she raised him for Twilight during his infant years. As Spike slowly calmed down, she started to sing.

Warm and bright
Fire glow
Ever burn tiny ember
Feel my song
In your heart
You I will love forever

Spike fell asleep in her embrace, completely exhausted from crying out to Twilight. She sent a letter to her sister Luna and to Cadance, telling them what happened and what she needed from them. The Canterlot soldiers arrived soon after, taking Twilight's body with the utmost care and placed into a beautiful golden casket, and carried her off. Celestia followed close behind in her chariot, still cradling Spike.

That night, the three princesses were gathered around the sleeping dragon, wanting to be near by to try and comfort him. Spike slowly awoke and groggily looked around.

"Twilight?"

The princesses felt such empathy for him as they saw him look at them in desperation.

"Where's Twilight? Did you save her? You saved her, right? She's gonna be okay?"

They all looked heartbroken as Celestia answered him.

"Spike, honey.....She's gone. She's resting now-"

"NO! Not Twilight. She lived for so long! She can't die! SHE CANT!"

He tried to pound on Celestia in anger, demanding she save her, but Celestia held his arms until he gave up and wept bitterly.

"I know she lived for so long, but she wasn't immortal like us. She didn't die in fear or pain, she was ready to rest. She only asked that we take care of you."

Spike gritted his teeth in anger as tears continued to flow endlessly.

"WHY?! Why did she have to die?!"

Cadance hugged him and tried to calm him.

"Most creatures have to die. It's how it has to be Spike. We're the only ones who can live forever"

Spike looked at her, his face full of sorrow and confusion.

"Why?"

Luna lifted his gaze to her.

"We don't know Spike, we really wish we did, but we don't. All we know is we will keep living. We have to keep going."

Spike felt more sobs come over him and the princesses held him closely. Celestia spoke to him in the most tender tone she could.

"But we have each other Spike. You have us here, and we aren't going anywhere."

Spike calmed down slightly as the three held him lovingly, staying so close until the four drifted into sleep.

Celestia ended her reminiscing, realizing she had been sobbing hysterically. Her face was soaked with tears and her throat felt hoarse from wailing. She tried to compose herself and clean her face, but she was so miserable.

"Sister?"

Celestia looked to see Luna and Cadance looking at her, both of them with looks of equal parts empathy and sorrow. Celestia left her throne, quickly trotted to them and hugged them tightly as fresh cries escaped her. She calmed herself for a moment as she spoke to them, both with their own tear stained faces.

"How is Spike?"

"Sound asleep. But he's still bitter."

Celestia placed a hoof over her eyes, trying to wipe away her tears. Cadance spoke up.

"He needs time......we could hear you crying a ways away."

"I.....I just.....I can't stand to see my little Spike like this."

Cadance and Luna both hug her.

~

Spike was swiftly sneaking through the palace, easily avoiding the guards. He was determined to do this, he had to see this through. He had been miserable the past week, crying and screaming at the princesses. How could this have happened? Twilight was so powerful with magic, why didn't she find some way to live longer? She studied so many of those worthless books, one of them must have had something that could have stopped this. Spike continued to approach his destination, his mind going toward the past few days events. He tried to block it out, but the painful memory was too fresh to ignore.

Many ponies had gathered around the small cemetary, reserved only for a select six ponies. Some were family from far and wide, others friends who wished to pay respect. Celestia presided over the funeral as they all stepped forward, all of them weeping and saying goodbye to Twilight. But no one was as heartbroken as Spike. Cadance held onto him tightly, hugging him in a vain effort to provide him comfort. Even now, after four days, Spike continued to sob for her. He wanted some explanation, someone to tell him why he had to watch all his friends die. He remembered each one perfectly. But this....this would haunt him forever. He looked on helpless as Celestia began speaking to everyone who stood in reverance, Luna holding a number of urns in honor of Twilight.

"Today, we wish farewell to one of the finest ponies any of us have been blessed to know. Her compassion and skill changed countless lives. She returned Luna, our princess of night to us."

Luna began to weep, but continued her duty.

"She taught us all the value of true friendship. May her lessons never be forgotten and her legacy continue to shine through the ages."

Celestia approached Twilight's casket, Twilight placed into a beautiful gown more exquisite than even the princess' garments. Celestia struggled to compose herself as tears began to fill her eyes.

"Twilight Sparkle. You were a greater blessing to me than you could ever know. Thank you. Thank you so much."

Celestia surprised the crowd as she hugged Twilight's form. Spike started to sob and Cadance gently caressed him. Celestia released Twilight after a few moments and began to shut the casket. Spike pushed out of Cadances' grip and ran to the casket.

"TWILIGHT!!!"

Celestia stopped and Spike leapt into the casket and held onto Twilight sobbing and yelling.

"Don't go Twilight! Don't leave me behind! I'll go wherever you go, anywhere! Please don't leave me."

Celestia pulled Spike away even has he protested and screamed to Twilight. Luna took him, Spike still weeping but never taking his eyes off Twilight. Celestia shut the casket and moved it over the open ground. Spike weakly cried out to her still, his constant wailing taking a toll and wearing him out. Luna held him close and Cadance gently hugged him, needing to hold him for her own sake. Celestia finally lowered the casket into the ground, covering it in soil and erecting an ornate tombstone reading 'Here lies Twilight Sparkle. Student, Friend, Hero, Loving Guardian'. Celestia spoke with a shaky voice.

"From dawn into dusk. A beggining and an end. Rest now weary soul. Find peace from life's toil"

Spike couldn't take it anymore. He loosed a hoarse sob. Celestia ran to him, the princesses held him as close as they could. She was gone. She was truly gone forever. Spike never felt so alone before.

Spike held his claws over his mouth, holding in his sobs as he remembered. He wished he could be like other dragons. They never mourned for others. The only cared for their wealth. They simply stole treasure, hoarded it for themselves and lived selfish lives. They could never experienced heartrenting sadness like this. Spike wished he could be like that. That he could have been born among other dragons. To never have discovered friendship, to never know how wonderful having friends was, to never have to suffer the loss of so many loved ones. Spike took control of himself and continued. He was leaving. Leaving Canterlot, leaving Equestria, leaving friendship. He knew Celestia would try and stop him, but he didn't care. He couldn't take the pain. He wanted to be alone. He wanted to live like a dragon, devoid of sorrow and pain. He exited from the castle and started to run. He stopped in his tracks when he saw the plot of land. He felt his tears return. He walked inside to say goodbye, one last time. He passed all the resting places of his old friends.

First was Rainbow Dash. She had been lost in an accident flying with the wonderbolts. As her body was desperately mended, she clung to life desperately, sharing a final few words with her friends.

"Least I got sent out with a bang."

Spike felt his sobs return as he looked on her grave.

He turned from it only to be assaulted by the sight of Applejack's tombstone, her old hat set atop it. Applejack had lived many years, longer than Granny Smith, bucking apples and running the farm for longer than anyone thought possible. She passed away in her sleep. leaving a note behind to her friends.

"See ya'll later, partners"

Spike held back more sobs, wishing this night would end.

He turned and saw the resting place of Fluttershy.
Fluttershy remained mostly the same throughout her life. Her meekness did subside as she got older, but her kindness only became stronger. She was loved by many, animal and pony, in her elder years, and was blessed with a loving husband and many children. She was surrounded by loved ones as she left. Her last words feeling so painful for something so sweet.

"I love you all so much"

Spike fell to his knees, feeling like he was being ripped to pieces. He had to keep going. He had to finish this before he left.

He came upon Pinkie's tomb.
Pinkie was always a big ball of energy, even in her old age. She was something of the town grandmother, constantly spreading smiles and drawing many children to her. Her death was a blow to the entire town of Ponyville. Everyone gathered to wish her a heartfelt farewell as she sat close to her end. She shared one last bit of joy before leaving.

"Remember to always pack a smile"

Spike wished he could stop feeling, could just throw away all his love to escape the pain. He walked forward only to be stopped dead in his tracks as his body felt completely empty.

Rarity

Even in her old age, she was beautiful beyond compare. Even as her body withered and her mind wizened, Spike still couldn't help but adore her. She was always a gem to him, something he cherished so much. He was right beside her when she passed, his heart filled with anguish. She used her magic to pull something toward her which she presented to him. He broke down into sobs. The fire ruby he had given her. Even though there was never a real romance and she wed to a Canterlot noble, she still held onto it. She still cared enough about him to hold onto his gift of love. She smiled into his eyes as she breathed her last.

"I love you my little Spikey-Wikey"

Spike fell to his hands and knees and pounded the ground and he wailed. This was torture. All he wanted was to leave, but he kept coming back to his friends. He needed to get away. Forget they ever existed and live life away from all this. He stepped forward, and once again, that final straw, that horrible weight of truth hit him as he approached the last friend he lost. That horrible memory came back and refused to let him have relief.

Spike was busy organizing all the books and returning items to their places. Twilight had gotten too weak to do it herself, even with magic. But Spike didn't mind. It kept him busy now that Twilight had taken to simply reading and resting. Spike didn't think this meant anything. He honestly believed Twilight would be the one to survive forever. Like she found some long lost magic and had conquered death and this would be the remainder of his life.

Life was far too cruel sometimes.

Twilight weakly called to Spike who rushed to her side. She held up a scroll.

"Send this to the princess."

Spike took the scroll and ignited it, the ashes magically sent to Celestia.

"Spike, there's something I have to tell you."

"What is it Twilight?"

She sighed and smiled into his young happy face, rubbing his head with her hoof.

"Princess Celestia will be here in a bit. She's going to take us to Canterlot-"

"I'm not sure you're up for the trip, Twilight."

Twilight laughed and pulled him into a hug.

"She's going to be taking care of you from now on Spike."

Spike recoiled.

"Wh-why? You need me here! You can barely get around on your own."

Twilight smiled warmly at him, a tear rolling down her cheek.

"Don't worry about me Spike. I've lived a good life. I'm not afraid of this."

Spike became horrified and grabbed onto her.

"No! NO! Not you Twilight! You can't die! You're too strong for that! You outlived everyone! You-"

She stopped him and kissed his forehead.

"I'm so sorry I have to leave you Spike. You've been such a good assistant. I'm very proud of you."

Spike felt tears well up in his eyes as Twilight lovingly stroked his face.

"But I can't be here forever. So I need you to promise me you'll stay with the princess. She can keep you safe and will make sure you're always taken care of. Promise me."

Spike nodded as he sniffed back tears. Twilight's eyes started to close, making Spike panic.

"Twilight?"

"I love you so much Spike. I'll tell the girls all about the good you've done for me."

With that, Twilight made one last breath,her eyes shutting as she layed in peace at her desk.

"Twilight?! TWILIGHT?! TWILIGHT?!?!"


Spike screamed at her, begging her to wake up. He panicked more and more as he kept trying, Twilight lying completely motionless. He kept pulling at her, begging her to move, barely even noticing Celestia rushing into the library...

Spike fell onto Twilight's grave sobbing hysterically. He wanted her back. All he wanted was to be next to her. He wanted to tell her how much he loved her, how important she is to him, how he'd give anything to be at her side again. No, he would never have that joy again. The one thing that seemed constant to him, taken in an instant. He crawled to her tombstone and hugged it tightly, as if it were her. He couldn't leave, not now. He would stay there. He would be at her side, like he had from the start, when they first came to Ponyville, when they met their friends, as she grew older and weaker, and when she finally passed away. If she was here forever, he would stay forever. He wouldn't leave her. Not for any reason. Spike felt a pony land behind him. He thought it was a guard or sentry, here to take him back inside.

"Spike, please come inside."

Luna. How could she speak so softly? She should be mourning like him. If not for Twilight, she'd still be the monster Nightmare Moon, yet she wanted him to leave her side. He gripped onto the stone with all his strength, nearly digging his claws into it.

"No, I'm not leaving her!

Luna placed a gentle hoof on his back. He only gripped onto the stone, shaking with more sobs.

"Twilight would not want you to live your life like this. She wanted you to have a happy fulfilled life."

"You don't understand. I can't.....I can't leave her. She needs me."

Luna held onto him as he refused to let go.

"She's gone Spike."

Those words still felt like a dagger in an open wound.

She's gone.

He sobbed, a harsh sounding moan that shook his whole body. Luna pulled him off the stone, him still reaching for it, crying out to Twilight. Luna cradled him, and gently hummed to him the same song Celestia did to calm him. It sounded so familiar to him, yet he couldn't tell why. Luna gently flew him to his room, a vast and luxurious room for such a small creature. She layed him in bed, continuing to hum to him. As she tucked him, she sang the same song to him, helping fade into much needed sleep.

Warm and bright
Fire glow
Ever burn tiny ember
Feel my song
In your heart
You I will love forever

End of Part 1