• Published 16th Jun 2013
  • 1,066 Views, 9 Comments

Changeling 409 - Phobiac01



It was a typical day in Equestria, the sun was shining, the birds were chirping and the changelings were invading canterlot. Yup, it couldn't get any more normal than this.

  • ...
2
 9
 1,066

Chapter 1 The Beginning

Chapter 1 The Beginning

My name is Blu, Blu Softstone. All I ever wanted was to be accepted as who I am not what I am. Yes, I am a changeling, but I am not like the others. Most changelings are bound to take their Queen's orders, but I have my own will, I have a choice. For most of my life I have been living in rebellion, I have been ridiculed, attacked, cast away, thrown out ... all because of what I am. It only got worse after Queen Chrysalis's failed invasion. Once I got word of it I fled to a small nearby town and hid until the whole thing was over. Little did I know, in this small town of Ponyville, was a spark of hope, and redemption.

It all began... in a small settlement far off to the west, with the birth of a foal.

The couple had not been surprised when their foal had come out looking like a pony, but with a black coat, wings, a horn, and a pair of fangs, all complete with holes in the mane, hoofs, tail, horn, and wings. He did not have bug-like wings, he had pegasus wings and a unicorn horn. As far as the records go, Blu is the first changeling-pony hybrid of his kind. The young colt took over his changeling heritage from his fathers side, and his pony origins from his mother. The father had confessed that he was in fact a changeling several years prior. He and his wife still continued to love each other, as it is very rare that a changeling will purposely reveal their origins and for the pony to still love them.

They had happily raised their child as a regular pony. He had friends, he played outside, and he even went to school. While he was still a baby, his father had used his knowledge of changeling magic to disguise him as a sky blue pegasus with a light fire-orange mane. Nobody but the boy's parents knew his origins, what he truly was, not even the child himself knew.

His passion was to fly. On his spare time he would go outside, spread his wings, and take off into the crisp, clear sky. Most of his foalhood had been spent up in the clouds preforming tricks, dodging obstacles, and racing through the air at top speed. Some days he would try and break a record speed of his, and other days he would just lay on a cloud and stare up at the sky. To Blu, flight just felt like it came naturally. Like it was his purpose,like the sky was calling for him.

Over time he discovered his special talent. But the knowledge of what it was comes with a heavy price. One moment that would change his whole life.
So, here is where my story starts...


It was a peaceful Sunday morning, the birds were chirping, the sun was up, fillies were playing hoofball out in the grass. There were only several clouds in the sky. Perched up on top of one of them was a light blue pegasus. He just continued to stare into the sky, thinking to himself, taking a peaceful moment away from the ever changing world. He always enjoyed these rests, it gave him time to think to himself. The air had a stiff feeling to it and the light breeze messed with his mane and tail, but he didn't realy care much. The long silence was only interrupted when a light blue Pegasus wearing a party hat, came out of the back door of a nearby house.
"Hey Blu, you don't want to miss out on your own birthday party, come on down. Oh, and I have something I would like to show you after the guests leave."
"Ok, I'll be there in just a minute."
"Don't take too long." He made his way back inside, closed the door behind him and walked down to the basement to retrieve some chairs for the party. "There are so many things I have been keeping, I think it's about time I told him." There were six chairs, he picked two off the ground with his left wing and did the same with his right, lifting the last two in his mouth. "There is so much I need to tell him and it might be hard for him to understand, this is going to be a long day." he let out a long sigh as he put down the chairs and set them into place.


Meanwhile, high up on a Cloud, was the young blue Pegasus colt, lost deep in vivid thought and imagination, dreaming of his future, dreaming of what he was going to be when he grew up. Maybe he will be a wonderbolt, heck, he would probably be the leader when he blows them away with his new signature move. Joining the wonderbolts is just about every Pegasus's dream, but only the lucky few can make it into the academy. ~I remember when my dad first took me to Canterlot to see them preform, I was stuck with my jaw hanging for the whole rest of the day. ~

His thoughts were again interrupted when a small midnight blue unicorn filly with a sunset red mane just appeared out of nowhere with a flash of light and a small *pop*.

"Hey Blu, what are you doing?"

"Oh, hi Flare, I was just thinking 'bout stuff" he said in a casual tone that sounded a little bit forced.

The young unicorn brightened as an idea hit her. "Oh... would it be alright if I joined you?"
Blu looked back down at her slightly confused and nodded his head slowly. But how is a unicorn going to be able to stay afloat on a cloud? Only Pegasi and Alicorns can walk amongst the skies. If one thing was to know though, it was to never underestimate his little blue friend.

"Great, I'll be up in just a second." with that, the small filly charged up her horn as it began to glow a light turquoise color, soon after, her hooves began to glow the same shade of turquoise before fading away.

Silent Flare was a childhood prodigy, she was like the Star Swirl of her age, some of the roomers at school even say that she once took on a timber wolf with nothing but her magic, and came out victorious, without even a single scratch. Blu was lucky to have her as his friend.

After finishing her first spell she began to build up magic in her horn for a second time, but this time with more power. Her face scrunched up in concentration earning a small blush from Blu, she looks kind of cute when she does that. A sphere of magic began to glow and churn around her and soon she disappeared with another soft *pop* sound. Moments later she reappeared inches away from him and landed on the soft cloud.

Blu looked at his friend with a face full of astonishment and awe "Wow, I swear, you seem to get better at that spell every time I see you."

"Uh, thanks I've been working really hard on it lately" a light crimson tint started spreading its way across her face. "I'm glad you noticed" Something about him made her feel like she had just swallowed a pail full of parasprites.

Call it a childhood crush if you must, they spent a lot of time together. Whenever they're not studying some ancient form of Pegasus or unicorn magic or on one of their legendary adventures to find their cutie marks, they would be found eating lunch together, taking a walk through the park or just napping under a tree. They would always be there by each others side, through thick and through thin. They were an inseparable pair with a friendship as strong as steel.

Several minutes passed by before flare finally broke the silence "Hey, I'll bet you'll never guess what I got you for your birthday" she teased. Her horn began to glow turquoise as a small rift opened up to her right and a small box floated out. The box was wrapped in a dark blue paper with 'happy birthday' plastered all over it.

"Go ahead, open it." Flare said with an impossibly wide smile. That smile only grew bigger when Blu started to rip the paper off. Once rid of all the paper, there was a small blue box. The Pegasus then used his right wing to slowly lift the top off to reveal a raggedy, hand stitched, stuffed animal dragon. It was a small baby dragon with purple scales and a green spine. There looked like there were a billion patches on it and it was lightly under-stuffed.

Flare looked up with slight concern and worry. "Do you like it? It took me a week to make and I did it all by myself." The Pegasus didn't Move his gaze up from the small stuffed dragon in his lap.

He lifted his head after what felt like hours and jumped forward, latching his arms around his unicorn friend. "I love it! Don't you dare think otherwise."

The embrace continued for a little while longer, neither friend dare break it.

"Hey, Blu?"

"Yeah."

"I just wanted you to know that no matter what happens, I'll always be there for you." she broke the hug and gave the blushing Pegasus a quick peck on the cheek.

As Blu tried to get his rapidly intensifying blush under control, Flare lit up her horn and put the box and paper back into the rift. A zipper appeared at one side and zipped it shut.

"Hey Flare? Isn't that a dimensional rift? I've never really seen one but I have read about it in books." he asked, just now noticing the little rift in the space time continuum. Just because he is a Pegasus doesn't mean that he can't learn about unicorn magic. It's always been an interesting subject for him, and over time he got to wondering what it would be like to have a horn instead of wings. Although he would never give up his wings for anything in the world, it often drew his curiosity.

The young unicorn took her concentration off of the rift once she was finished and looked in Blu's direction. "Yeah, only some of the higher level unicorn sorcerers can cast it. It took me about a month to learn."

An awkward science filled the air once again as the two of them stared off into the distance, lost in their thoughts. After about ten minutes a blue colt came out the back door of a nearby house once again. "Blu, your first guest has arrived, I want you to come down here and greet him. Oh, hi Flare, how are your parents doing."

"Hi Mr. Softstone, my parents are doing fine." their attention was now aimed at a certain box that Blu's father was holding behind his back.

"Is that a present?" the young colt observed the box from a distance and took in it's lime green color and party hat design. It was a fairly big box and it looked like he was having trouble holding it up.

"Sure is. This one is from your friend Rolling Suds. He looks like he has been smiling since three in the morning." he took a small glance before turning back towards the house, using his wings to balance the heavy box. "Your other friends should be here soon so don't take too long." with that, he disappeared into the house.

"Ok, so I guess I better get going, don't want to leave my friends waiting. You coming?" he looked down to the roof of his house and gestured to it with a hoof. Once he got a small nod from his unicorn friend and she started charging up her horn, he began his descent. "Race you down!"

Flare lifted her head up and a ghost of a smile spread across her face. To give her friend a fair chance, she descended not straight down, but teleported from cloud to cloud, each one lower than the last. Once she reached the lowest cloud she could find, she held on tight to the fluffy cumulus and used her magic to propel her downwards, giggling madly the whole time.

"It seems I have beat you once again." Blu said with an evil laugh at the end that sounded more like a wicked chuckle coming from his young voice. He snapped open his tiny wings and held his head high as he started to trot towards the house only to trip over a rock and roll down a nearby hill into the small stream that awaited at the bottom. "Dumb rock." he grumbled, gaining a small giggle from his friend as she made her way to the bottom of the hill.

Once she reached the bottom, her friend shook off all the water soaking her and the surroundings. "I'll get you for that!" Flare grumbled lunging forward and starting a game of chase with her blue friend. The two ran all around the large open fields chasing each other and laughing all the while. Eventually they ended up lying under a tree by the stream, out of breath, they called a truce after finding that neither one could outrun the other.

"Alright Blu, that was a lot of fun but I think that your Dad is waiting for you." she looked at her friend and motioned at the house with her hoof. She stood up and started leading the way to the back porch of his home. "Are you coming?" she asked with a bit of hesitation audible in her voice.

"Yeah, I'll meet up with you in a minute. I just need to catch my breath first." he waved her on and begun to fan himself off with one of his wings. With a moment more of hesitation, his friend continued on towards the house.

Author's Note:

Sorry this chapter took so long to write, it's my first story and I am doing it all solo. I'll try and make the next chapters longer and I do really appreciate any constructive criticism. Thank you for taking the time to read this chapter and I hope you liked it.

Oh and if anyone is interested in becoming a proofreader for my stories I would gladly accept, just shoot me an email.


Just finished going over my mistakes and I decided to add a bit more to the ending for the heck of it.