• Published 23rd Feb 2012
  • 2,397 Views, 87 Comments

Artemis Fowl and the land of Equestria - William Van Auger



self explaining title Artemis Fowl with ponies

  • ...
8
 87
 2,397

the chase

Butler was at a loss this time. In the past, he had helped kidnap magical creatures, beaten a rampaging troll in a fistfight, fought against the Russian Mob, been killed and then bought back to life, and seen a whole other side to the world. Yet nothing he had seen is his life prepared him for this.
Whatever Holly had done to the tower had torn the sky open. It was not as if Butler feared death, he had been dead before after all. As a bodyguard, Butler knew his life came second. As he was dragged into the air, his only thoughts were of Artemis’ safety.

Artemis felt the all too familiar surge of adrenaline that accompanied all of his adventures. The last time he felt like this was falling into the fire pit in the Extinctionists compound. It was the feeling that could only mean he was about to die. He tried to make a dive for the podium where the laptop had rested upon but the force of the wind was too strong. Time slowed as his feet left the ground, he felt like a ragdoll in the face of such power. No regrets, was the only thought on his mind.

Holly was the first through the breach. She had been closer to the tower than Artemis had been and was considerably lighter than Butler was. She immediately noticed that she was no longer being dragged around by the vortex. The wind had died down and she seemed to be in free fall. She kicked her wings in gear and brought herself into a hover, a decision she quickly regretted. Pieces of the lightning tower fell from the sky with enough force to turn her bones to dust. She was nearly hit in the face by a laptop that had once bore Foaly’s face followed by a disgruntled looking Butler.
Instinctively she flew toward him attempting to slow his decent, her wings straining to lift his weight.
Below them, a latticework of lights illuminated the ground. A city she thought no, more of a small town. Holly decided it was better if they landed outside of the town. She did not want to explain to the residents how a giant and fairy fell from the sky.
They were only about a few hundred meters from the ground now. Holly was now close enough to make out a dense forest and moved to land but before she could find a safe place Butler began to struggle in her grip.
“Artemis? No!”
Holly saw Artemis drop from the sky like a brick.
Even in the air he is totally graceless
“I’m sorry Butler. I can’t carry both of you”
She slipped something round into Butler’s hand.
“Concussive charge” she said “set it detonate on impact, it should help break your fall.”
“Take care of him Holly” said Butler. It was a non-optional statement. “Or you will have to answer to me”
She let go.

Artemis fell through the air, struggling to keep stable. He would never say so aloud but he had absolutely no idea what was happening. His brain was subconsciously working on a hundred unlikely solutions but his conscious mind had other things to deal with. If he wasn’t crushed by falling debris, he would hit the ground with enough force to leave a genius shaped hole. His suit was smouldering slightly and tearing due to friction, his tie was trailing behind threatening to choke him.
He felt something grab hold of his arm and found himself face to face with captain Short.
“Nice catching up with you” she laughed. Artemis couldn’t see her face through her visor but he knew that voice well enough to tell she found something extremely amusing.
“What about Butler?” he choked
“He told me to get you.” She explained about the concussive charge.
“Good thinking. What’s the plan then?”
“That’s your department. I just keep you alive.”
They heard a detonation below them indicating Butler had landed.
Holly glided over the trees searching for a place to land.

Butler remembered the last time he experienced free fall like this, a few years ago when he jumped out of the penthouse suite of a Munich hotel. Then he had been three floors up, atop a mattress that slowed him down and broke his fall. This time he was nearly a hundred meters up with only a small grenade to stop him breaking his neck. There was no chance that he would be alright. An impact like this would be enough to force his legs into his chest if he landed badly. His only hope was to try to stay alive long enough for Holly to give him a shot of blue sparks.
When he was ten meters from the ground, he threw the charge with all his strength.
A second later a wall of energy struck Butler full in the chest he immediately slowed his decent, the branches of nearby trees slowing him even farther. Just before impact, he rolled making sure to land on his back, covering his head and neck with his arms.
He hit the ground with a gut wrenching crack. He was fairly certain he had broken his spine. He was positive he had broken some ribs and he could see the bones in his calf poking through the skin. “It’s up to you now Holly” he muttered before blacking out on the forest floor.

Celestia was searching the forest from the air with Rainbow Dash and her bodyguard while Luna led the ground team. They had found the site of the explosion but found no body, just a puddle of blood and some broken branches. She beckoned one of her guards closer. “Find the ground team. Its Luna’s night, we have need of her power.”
The guard nodded before disappearing into the night.

“There’s something in the sky,” said Artemis. “I can’t make it out.”
Holly and Artemis had landed a short distance away from where Butler had landed but by the time they got there, Butler was gone. There was no way he had walked away so they could only assume the local town’s people had found him and wanted answers.
“You should go Holly, if they find you-“
“I’m not going anywhere, “said Holly “I told Butler I would keep you safe and that’s what I intend to do”
“You should at least shield,” continued Artemis
“I don’t know how much magic it will take to fix Butler. Until I do I’m not wasting a drop.”
Artemis let out a sigh of frustration. They kept moving through the dense forest. It felt more like a jungle thick vines covered every branch and strange noises came from all sides. Holly’s gut told her hungry eyes were watching her as they pushed through the thick underbrush.
Suddenly a bright light scorched the sky blinding nearly blinding them.
Holly didn’t think. There was no time. She just grabbed Artemis by the collar and dragged him deeper into the forest.

Luna had seen many strange creatures in the forest before but what she saw before her confused her to no end. They walked on two legs like an ape but she had never seen an ape in a suit before. The other was even stranger. It was wearing some kind of armour but it was completely unlike the suits of gold and onyx the guards of Canterlot wore, neither could she see any kind of insignia. It stood shorter than the other was but the most troubling feature was that it did not seem to have a face. Where the tall one had noticeable eyes and mouth, the other had only a blank slate of black.
At that point, it didn’t matter. She summoned all the power her moon offed her and used it to light up the night sky, the agreed upon signal if something had been found.
The faceless one turned her way grabbed the one in the suit and dove deeper into the Everfree Forest.
She followed above them making sure they didn’t escape.

The only way for Holly to go was forward. Behind the searchlight blinded her every time she glanced over her shoulder. Fortunately, it lit the path ahead making traversing the forest somewhat easier.
She could hear shouting behind them and picked up the pace. Artemis still protesting behind her making her grin despite the circumstances. She had to admit that causing Artemis Fowl discomfort was one of the perks of the job.



The sun was starting to rise, a few minutes ahead of schedule but it couldn’t be helped. Celestia would have to find some way to make it up to Luna for cutting her night short. Soon Celestia would be at her most powerful. If the creatures continued to flee through the forest they were bound to find some kind of trouble, the only reason the group hadn’t found any creatures that lived in the Everfree Forest was likely due to her presence. She caught a glance of her targets through the trees.
Applejack ran at her side and Rainbow Dash flew next to Luna above. She felt her sun’s rays burn through her blood and bought it to bear. Her body burned with a fire than made the light Luna provided pathetic by comparison.
“DO NOT HARM THEM!” she called in the royal Canterlot voice.
“Don’t ya worry none Princess, I’m on it” Applejack pulled ahead of the herd, breaking through into a clearing by a river.

The light intensified tenfold. Even polarised Holly’s helmet could not filter the light. She could hear running water but had no idea where it was coming from. She could just make out colour and shapes but other than that, she was helpless. Something cyan slammed into her from behind, she twisted to face her attacker, drew her Neutrino and fired three quick bursts. The whatever it was fell limp at her feet, while she fired twice more at two more figures wearing shining gold armour. She turned again to check on Artemis before something orange struck her full in the face. Her visor shattered under the blow and she was sure her nose was broken. She felt her body get heavy and began to pass out.
“Run Artemis” was about all she could manage before falling on the damp ground.

Artemis himself was in worse shape. The light burned his retinas till her could hardly move
He heard Holly shout for him to run. He managed to travel three steps before falling face first into a river. He rolled over onto his back and found himself being pinned to the ground. He threw a blind punch at his attacker that would have made Butler groan. To his credit, it worked sending the attacker staggering. Before he could stand, he felt a new presence. This was not physical. It felt much like Fairy magic but in his experience fairy magic had never hurt so much. It compressed his chest crushing his ribcage and pinned him to the riverbed. Water filled his mouth and lungs while magic crushed the life from him. He felt blood well in his mouth and found he had no air left to cough it up. He struggled feebly before darkness took him.