• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 668 Views, 5 Comments

Judge and Jury - Tearsintheshadows



When a long forgotten race sends one of their best to judge Equestria, will Equestria pass judgment when no one else has before?

  • ...
2
 5
 668

Chapter 5

Blake’s report with Luna largely contained Luna scolding Blake for accepting Umbra as an ally. Blake, momentarily forgetting who he was talking to, pointed out that Luna’s jealousy was what had attracted Umbra in the first place. Luna glared angrily at Blake, who apologized and kneeled. Luna sighed, “You are right, however.” She lowered her head. Blake smiled and rose to his feet. “So, have you decided what you are going to do about your position as a judge?”

“I should probably get around to that, but I just missed you so much.” Blake replied and Luna blushed. “Do you have time for a walk around the palace grounds?” Luna nodded so fast that Blake was worried about her neck. “Umbra, it is time to prove yourself.” Blake said to his new spirit as Luna walked happily to the door. “Find out who keeps trying to assassinate Celestia, and make sure you take out as many as you can.” Blake could hear the smile in Umbra’s voice. “Night Terror, grab any information you can out of them. Anything that lets me know what the purpose is of the assassination.”

“All I know so far is that Celestia is merely a means to the end.” Night Terror replied, “I have no proof besides that pegasus’ memories.” Blake nodded.

“Hurry up!” Luna whined, “I haven’t had time to talk to you outside of a formal season.”

To Luna, the garden seemed so much more beautiful with someone to share it with. Blake’s mind seemed to be somewhere else and Luna could not help but pout. “So why did you really invite me out here, letting the spirits out to play?”

“They make great scouts. But it is the opposite,” Blake replied, “I sent them on a mission to make sure they don’t interfere. Umbra is hunting for assassins and Night Terror is interrogation. Why, did you want them here?” Blake asked, knowing that Luna did not want them near her. “I am surprised the assassin knew about Celestia’s alternate form. I thought that was supposed to be a secret.” Luna nodded. “And how easy they were to catch…almost like they just wanted to distract not injure. I think I should pair you with one of them.” Luna shook her head. “Fine, then I suggest you get someone who is willing to spend all their time watching you, and no, I will not do it.” Luna shut her mouth and pouted. “In about a week’s time, I am going to receive a package containing my orders and what my teacher believes I need to complete them.”

Blake fell to a knee as a spear lodged itself into his back shoulder. He turned, spear still in his shoulder to where it was supposed to be and barely dodged a second one. “Protect the princess!” Meadowlark yelled from behind the palace as he took a small group to pursue the assassin. The rest surrounded the princess while one with a medic’s cap walked over to Blake, who was trying to pull the spear out. The spear, thankfully, was crudely made and was therefore easy to remove, but the true danger of the spear was the fact that had been dipped in poison. Blake tried to stand but his legs refused to respond to his body’s commands. A few of the night guards near Luna seemed concerned, but a few grabbed weapons and charged Blake. The other night guards stood near Luna and made sure that she was alright, despite her orders to help Blake.

“Get Luna out of here!” Blake yelled. The night guard nodded and began to push Luna away. Only one night guard stayed behind to help the paralyzed Blake, and that was Nocturne, who struck with her hooves, expertly hitting pressure points. Meadowlark and his elite came back and those that attacked Blake scattered. “Well, I guess we know who the main target was, but why me?”

“No idea.” Meadowlark shook his head, “But if you feel like revenge.”

“Not really.” Blake stood and began checking himself for injuries. “That could have ended poorly.” He pat his armor and completely ignored the bleeding wounds. Luna nudged his arm and he winced, “Was there a reason for that?”

“You are bleeding.” Luna replied.

“Am I now?” Blake looked at his claw and flipped it palm up. A holographic image of his body showed multiple areas in a red light. “I am damaged, but I will be fine. Shouldn’t we be trying to figure out why I was targeted to begin with?”

“Probably because of your proximity to the princess.”

“That would be likely.” Nocturne replied, “many ponies are already worried about you just as you are, the fact that the princess seems to talk to you more than anypony else makes a lot of them think you are going to try to marry up.” Blake laughed and then noticed a slightly hurt look from Luna. “You should save those feelings for someone worthy. Don’t forget, I am a soldier first, and besides judges can’t have significant others anyway. Causes bias.”

Luna sighed, even in the beginning, he only cared about his duty. “What next, they are after you, Blake.” Blake sighed, he would have to leave if he wanted to keep the princess safe. He looked at Nocturne.

“If they want me, they know where to find me, unless the guest quarters changed spots.” Blake stood back up, his legs were wobbly, but he seemed able to walk. “I wonder what that poison was…it worked well.” He looked at the spear, “Not enough poison left on it. Tell me Luna, is the Crystal Empire still around?”

“Going there may not be a good idea, they were in stasis for a millennium, so they probably remember you as a demon.” Luna replied.

“What is with Celestia and 1000 year punishments?” Blake shook his head.

“Why do you need to go to the Crystal Empire?”

“It may be a thousand years later, but I know one of my old friends who is still alive.” Blake smiled. “I just need a few supplies. Train ticket, food for the trip, and a big bag of assorted candy.”