I Just Want a Comment 3,689 members · 15,794 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5
EElement Substitutes: A Hearth's Warming Tale
Tirek plans to sets up the perfect Hearth's Warming gift for the new Element Bearers.
Spiktaro Kujo · 2.4k words · 405 views

Summary: Tirek had planned to make this the best Hearth's Warming gift that Spike, Angel, Gabby, Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle had ever received. But they aren't the only ones getting a surprise...

Initial thoughts: Hearth's warming story. I am going in excepting to have this warm and fuzzy feeling by the end of things, but when I finished the story I was just left wanting for so much more than what was given. This story felt much too adrupt and seemed to rush through scenes or have interuptions that got in the way of my enjoyment of the warm and fuzzy feelings. It's by no means a bad story, just a story that needs A LOT of rework. 6/10

What I liked: I liked the idea that all characters could be better if simply given a second chance. Granted Tirek isn't an easy one to pull off, but I think it worked decently enough.

What I didn't like: Angel bunny talking. Seems almost pointless. I understand he's a key character here, but there's nothing that explains how he is talking and it just...doesn't vibe with me. If there was some explantation to how he was able to talk I'd be more accepting of this.

Heart of the story: The heart of the story is well Hearth's warming and the happiness the holiday brings, but it also talks about memories and sadness without being sappy or over bearing. However I do feel there should be more emphasis on the feel good feelings more than feeling like it was weighed down by the sadness of missing loved ones. It walks a very fine line. 7/10

Characterization: Everyone here felt in character for the most part. I think Angel wasn't snarky enough, so there is points deducted for that, but other than that, I think the author understood each character's role, and each character had enough time in the story to show their quirks. 6/10.

Story/Concept: The story is about gift giving, warm fuzzy feelings, and the meaning of the holiday. It's been done to death, and there's nothing here that stands out to me. It's just "meh" 5/10.

Originality/Execution: There is a bit of originality here with the unique take on Tirek, but I would've liked more background on how he became good instead of the very short summary we did get. The execution of said idea is lackluster, and needs a lot of fine tuning. 5/10

Overall score and final thoughts: I like to always help other authors. Don't be discouraged by a low score. Sure it is hard to take criticism, but if you are willing to listen,and take advice, you'll become a much better writer.The reason I know this is I was in this boat once upon a time. And I've grown, and learnt from my mistakes. This story, it honestly could use another round of rewriting and making it much longer than what it is. With how it is now, it's "meh". But keep writing, keep up the good work, and I'm sure you'll find the perfect blend that makes for a Masterpiece someday. This just isn't it.

Final score: 6+7+6+5+5=29/50
5.8/10

*headpats*

So you do reviews too. If you would say, what are your criteria for choosing candidates?

I mainly do reviews over at
My Little Reviews
You can find all you need to know here as well as many other reviewers if your story falls into a category I dislike. Like Horror. x-x

Thank you for the review! I had planned on rewriting the story (and am in the middle of the process anyway) so when I post it, I'll be delighted if you decide to review the rewrite as well.

Rewrite info: More detail (fleshing out the dramas more) and explanations. Some ideas that I came up with after publishing this version, and other feedback and suggestions.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5