One-Shots 2,371 members · 19,011 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30

Personally, I do it because I can't focus on anything longer. Seriously, I've tried to write multi-chapter fanfics, and usually the plot bunnies desert me right around chapter 2. (The furthest I ever got was chapter 5.) But enough about me--why do you do it?

3091617 Because they're fun to write while listening to music, and I can just churn one out and get a few favs out of it.

Cause focus. Like you I just can't ficus fer long enough to do a multi. My one multi chap took 3 years

I do it cause it's fun and it helps me try new ideas out. I'm just an odd pony tho. :twilightsmile:

3091617 I write them mainly to help with writer's block or if there's this one idea that's been bugging me for a while. However, I have already converted one of my one-shots into an actual multi-chapter fic, and I may do it again for another one. :twilightsheepish:
The more I think about it, I could probably convert every single one of my one-shots into a longer story, but I guess I'm just too lazy (and the fact that I already have four incomplete stories and a fifth one in the works).

3091617 Because they're what I'm best at writing. I can have an idea I want to explore that I can write in 2,000 words and be pretty satisfied with. Ask me to write 80,000 words around that same subject and I'd often be floundering. Writing one-shots also keeps me feeling fresh: it eliminates the risk of getting 37 chapters into a story and realising it's become a boring slog.

The longest fic I've ever written in my 15 years online was just under 25,000 words, and that was in a fandom (Watership Down) where the main canon novel is over 150,000 words and you can therefore assume that readers have a good deal of staying power.

I have the same problem as some of the other people on this thread.
Not being able to do anything with something I started.

Other times I get good ideas for a story that could be a 25-30 thousand word story, but cannot for the life of me do anything to really start it.:applejackunsure:

They are a very reliable source of entertainment whether reading or writing.

Because people have commitment issues.

So I can be pretentious.

Because they're the easiest to get famous on the site.

Nah, it's just because I don't have the intelligence to make a multi-chapter story.

Because I get ideas for them, pretty much. Writing fanfiction is the only time I can come up with decent short stories.

Also, it's nice to actually have finished stories to show.

Haven't written one yet actually...but of late I'm thinking of doing so...not sure how well that will go for me :rainbowlaugh:

3091617 I don't have time for a long ass story

3091709 Isn't Watership down that movie where all the bunnies brutally kill each other?

3092285 You be careful now. I could easily write over 1,000 words just in answer to that question. :rainbowlaugh:

3092454 Be warned I have only seen shit like this from the movie

But I have a feeling it's about possessed bunnies

3092475 Don't need to. Already did. 11 years ago. :pinkiegasp:

3092528 Holy shit dude ok Imma have sum fun learning about killer bunnehs

Fluttershy would not like that book

I'M TOO LAZY TO FINISH ANTHING.

Mostly for contest or the lulz.

Mostly because I've had more one-shot ideas lately. I do have long fics in the works, but the ones that I've wanted to get out there the most had to come first.

I write them when I get bored with my longer stories.

I don't like the idea of writing a 100,000+ word story that only gets about 800 views.

There are some ideas which some people just can't run with to make an extended story...

Because it fits the idea. Because I feel better about neglecting my long story for a one shot than I do if I were to start another long story. Because with a one shot, it is done, and I don't feel obligated to finish what I've started. Because it is less work. Because why not?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30