The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,458 stories
Comments ( 31 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 31

Lots of people read other people's stories and break out the waterworks, but has anypony else ever been in the middle of writing an emotional scene and then *BAM* you just start crying? :fluttercry::raritycry::applecry::pinkiesad2:

I can't decide if I'm writing good shizz or if I'm just a pansy... :facehoof:

Nah, when I was writing one of my one shots I started to tear up. Nothing wrong with feeling down or wanting to cry midway through your work. :twilightsmile:

1926316 Probably both. But I cried once while I was writing shitty Adventure Time fanfiction.

Both? I don't know, I've never actually shed tears over a story...

I can't say I've done that. Don't get me wrong, my eyes turned into waterfalls at reading My Little Dashie and the end of Scarlet Harvest, but writing it? Nah.

However, during one particular RP scene I did with my bf, I did cry from the sweetness of the scene. Dunno if that counts.

1926316 I have. If you as the writer doesn't feel anything, why should the reader?
(that might just be my philosophy because I know a lot of writer's who don't seem to feel anything at all)

1926316 As to that last bit, hopefully it's a good mix of both. (that's how I am)

All I ever do is laugh megalomanically at how well my GLORIOUS PLAN is unfolding.

I'm a narcissistic asshole like that.

Nah, I teared up quite a bit when writing the one I published :pinkiesad2:

Yeah, it happens on occasion. Trying to write something now, but a late-in-the-story scene I wrote out got to me. It's funnier when I get mad at my characters and wander off from the computer for a while to cool down.

I have feels when I read sad stories, but I don't cry cause I know they're not real. If they were real then I'd cry. lol. :twilightsmile:

I got heavy feels when listening to sad music and writing a scene with huge emotional significance in relation to a real-life experience of mine.

The result, the scene was one of my best sad scenes.

But I came so close so drenching my keyboard. I had to force back the tears (and look at the roof, a lot, people can't cry whilst looking upwards).

Many times, if you're able to evoke an emotional response from your own writing, then there is a good chance that you're doing a nice job. I wouldn't just dismiss it as you being a pansy.

1926316 I misted up more than a few times while writing Gallop and Don't Stand Too Close To The Sun, but they're both intensely personal stories.

Oh, and during I'd Like To Be a Tree I very nearly started sobbing.

And during Chicken I cried like a baby, ngl

Yes, all the freaking time. I do alot of stuff to my emotions to help me write in character better.

Yes, and it's a fair sign that I'm on the right emotional track.

I have. There were several points in writing Fallout: Equestria where I couldn't help but shed tears. As an author, you know what you are going to write, you've analyzed the story on a meta-level, and so it's harder for what you write to move you, frighten you or exhilarate you. If your writing is powerful enough evoke emotion even in yourself, there is something that you are doing right.

1926316 1926644

No tears in the author, no tears in the audience.

- Hemingway

That said, I've cried three times over my writings, and one time it was a comedy piece.

1926316 Yeah, I was reading "Adventures In Cake Sitting" for my monthly writer's group, and there are parts I was afraid my voice would crack when I read aloud. If you truly write with heart you should be able to react to your own writing.

1926316 I came close once or twice when I planned out a really sad scene in my head. If you make yourself cry than that's usually a good sign of a really sad scene.

Deadder
Group Contributor

I haven't cried from a fic or writing one because I haven't wallowed in it. I want to shed some tears soon so I can express myself dearly with water in the eyes. And crying doesn't make you unmanly. Remember that. :raritywink:

1927090>>1927069>>1926896>>1926783>>1926644>>1926567>>1926536>>1926449>>1926424>>1926407>>1926378>>1926373>>1926352>>1926342>>1926325>>1926323
Thanks, Everypony, :twilightsmile:
Followup question: What about crying during Moments of Awesome, or as I like to call them, 'Valor-tears'? You're reading (or writing) a scene that isn't sad, but one that focuses on the characters performing a valorous act. Best example I can think of off the top of my head:

I'm pretty sure both of my shirt sleeves were hosed after I saw this scene in the theater for the first time, and parts like it in movies or written works almost always set me off, even if only a little.

1927679 I am no where near skilled enough to write such a tear-jerking scene :rainbowwild:

I'm with 1927685, nowhere even close :rainbowlaugh:

1927679 I never cry tears of valor, instead (after discreetly glancing around) I do a double fist pound and roar defiance at the heavens/demons/orcs/changelings/whatever we/I happen to be fighting.

1927679 worst I get from that sort of thing is goosebumps, really

1926896>>1926316
That explains it. My heart has shrunken over the years. I can sense which emotion I'm supposed to feel, and I have gotten close to crying, but never actually did. The last time was when I was like 8 during Lilo and Stitch, and the closest I got to tears reading here was "Pretty in Pink"

Laughter organ is still fine and dandy, and I occasionally start cackling whenever somebody does something particularly badass. Pretty much whenever Dresden goes into combat. (Ex. Train raid in Death Masks, and Dino Zombie in Dead Beat)

Time doesn't do that. I've grown more inclined to cry as I've gotten older.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rainbowlaugh:
That one guy at the very end

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 31