The Writers' Group 9,323 members · 56,752 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

Hey, I recall a long time ago the site decided to not have stories that have their viewers choose a path since it broke the site years ago. I was wondering if that’s still in effect and if so would a straw poll be a better option?

What does that mean?

I believe they're talking about stories driven by comments/votes from the audience

So... it’s not stories that’s connected to MLP but has no theme

Don't think so, but I don't know exactly what OP was referring to. This is just my best guess.

7139648 You mean choose your own adventure stories? I've seen a few that are still around.

As for comment driven stories I know of a few, sadly *cough* I can't really talk about them in this group due to the fact that promoting content isn't necessarily allowed here. :raritywink:

But they do exist and they can be fun to write so long as you can keep the rhythm going. Still I would advise having a loss outline to keep the story at least somewhat organized.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Just as a reminder, here's what the actual rule in question says:

This isn't a place for promoting yourself or your stories, so don't post self-promotion here. There are groups for that.

This doesn't mean you can't post anything about your stories, but it should be relevant to the discussion. Even if you are trying to be subtle, if we think it's a promotion, you may be asked to remove it.

If there’s a thread going on about stories involving cuddly bat pony hugs, and you wrote one, you’re probably okay mentioning your story, though.

For purposes of this rule, to be considered a promotion, there has to be something you can point at that’s being promoted. Someone might be acting like Gilderoy Lockheart, but until they actually bring their story up, it’s not a promotion.

--Sweetie Belle

I think they were talking about a site rule on comment driven stories, not a group rule.

I meant stories that the author lets the viewers decide and vote in the comments for which way should they go without using a straw poll.

I looked at the rules but didn’t see it there anymore, so wasn’t sure where to go ask the question but I do recall at least use a straw poll right?

7139822 I know there are ongoing stories like that. So, even if there is such a rule (and I doubt there is) it's a soft rule that isn't strictly implemented.

7139822 He was mostly talking to me. Let's just say I do have a comment driven story. :rainbowlaugh:

It can be fun so long as you are able to stay semi organized and you have enough people that are interested that are willing to interact.

Personally, I don't suggest just letting the readers tell you what they want to do, at least not without some sort of format as it can make your work difficult. Instead what I do is I give the readers a list of choices and they must vote on the choices on the list.

Meeester

Comment-driven stories are fine. The problem you're thinking of is Choose Your Own Adventure stories, or CYOA. CYOA stories must be complete at the time of submission, meaning all possible paths all written out and done. Comment-driven stories are usually fine depending on execution.

CYOA: Multiple paths for readers to each choose for themselves, but all planned out by the author.
Comment-driven: Single path all readers share, ultimately decided by the readers and only written by the author.

7139872 So no bonus "DLC" chapters. :fluttershysad:

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I was actually directing that to 7139826, but they aren't the only one I've seen saying things like that recently.

There's a reason why more than half of that rule is talking about it being okay to talk about your stories. If there's a thread about how to write artichoke ponies properly, and you want to give advice referring to your experience writing a story about an artichoke pony, feel free, and you can embed a link if you want.

We don't want you saying "Ah ate an artichoke once! That reminds me of my OC, EdgyBladeWind! You should really really read my story, 'In the Thud of Night'!!". We don't want you posting threads to promote your story or hijacking other people's threads with a promotion.

But, you know, this is a group for writers (and readers), and they can talk about what they are writing (and reading). Just don't try to sell it.

--Sweetie Belle

Starscribe has a story going on now that uses a Straw Poll and it’s working out pretty well.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15