The Writers' Group 9,317 members · 56,728 stories
Comments ( 58 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 58
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Since both parts of "The Ending of The End" and "The Last Problem" air on the same day, both after each other, and I think most people will be watching all three at once, I decided I'd make it all one big discussion thread. Otherwise, discussion of the two episodes will bleed into each other, and both threads would end up covering the same ground anyways.

This really is the ending of an era, too, in that this is probably the last of these discussion threads I post, unless there's another movie, I start doing them for comics, or I do them for G5 somewhere down the line. Of course, technically, nothing before season five got discussion threads. I suppose if a rewatch starts up at some point, I could start posting them for old episodes.:unsuresweetie:

It looks like part one of "The Ending of the End" is by Nicole Dubuc, and part two is by Mike Vogel, which makes sense, as they are used to writing together. "The Last Problem" is by Josh Haber, and he's experienced at all this, too.

What they are going to be about seems pretty obvious. All the villainous plans going through the season come to a head, things seem really bad, then all the villains backstab each other and the heroes win by default. Or something like that. And "The Last Problem" is probably the wrapup episode.

As usual, this will be the place for speculation on the episodes beforehand and talking about them afterwards. It's probably a good time to talk about the series as a whole, and it ending, too.

As for myself, you might be aware that I've been rather behind on mlp, and I mentioned recently that I finished season 8, but skipped some episodes.

Well, I had Friday off, and spent most of it in a mega-marathon. I was skipping any episodes that would snap me out of the flow of things, though. I finished watching "The Big Mac Problem" right before typing this! So, I'm mostly up to date, with the exceptions of these episodes.

Season 6: Newbie Dash
Season 8: The End In Friend & The Washouts
Season 9: Common Ground, Sweet and Smoky, '2, 4, 6, Greaat', A Trivial Pursuit, Daring Doubt

Kinda feel like talking about all those episodes I watched, but maybe not in the first post of this discussion thread. :unsuresweetie:

--Sweetie Belle

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

--Sweetie Belle

Winter_Solstice
Group Admin

I love Winter Wrap Up, but this is the song that made me fall in love with My Little Pony:

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Oh, I love that song, too. I love a lot of songs on the show. Winter Wrap Up is one that I tend to forget about, actually, but then I hear it and remember how much I love it. Right now, of course, it's especially significant as this is the series wrapup.

I'd have trouble pointing to one episode or song that made me fall in love with the show. I think it was good enough to keep going, initially, and kept throwing great episodes and things that made me like everyone often enough that I was hooked by the time I caught up with where the show was at.

While there were plenty of misses, I did have fun watching season 9 today, too. I think "Between Dawn and Dusk" was one of the standouts for me. "She's All Yak", I had the weirdest mixed emotions about. I didn't like the plot, and parts of it, but it was Best Yak being Best Yak in scene after scene, so it had lots of stuff I liked despite the things I didn't.

I do kinda wish I'd actually watched them back when I was doing the discussion threads for them. I just got further and further behind, though...

--Sweetie Belle

Welp, I guess this is it bois. The end of an era in the making.

I'm gonna miss these discussion threads. Although I think it's a good idea to have rewatch threads for the previous seasons.

I watched them all ahead of time, and I actually liked it.

I have to say 2019 has been a big year of endings.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I'm going to miss them, too! I already missed the fact that I'd mostly stopped commenting in the threads past the initial one. That was only because I hadn't watched the episodes yet and didn't want to spoil them too badly.

A rewatch would be interesting. I couldn't guess what the episodes were about, but I could talk about them. I almost feel like if I do post rewatch threads, I should watch "Rescue at Midnight Castle" before rewatching the opening two episodes...

I'm waiting till tomorrow to watch them, but I hope I'll like them!

It might be late tomorrow, really, since there is a renaissance festival going on this weekend, and I might go...

--Sweetie Belle

Man im gonna cry a lot soon :fluttercry: its gonna end :raritycry:

The Ending of the End was disappointing. You have this big build up with Grogar all season long, looking to make him one of the best villain and end the show with a bang, but it ends just up being Discord doing Discord thing. :facehoof:

The Last Problem was ok story wise, but the art for Twilight and Spike looked so bad, like they animators ran out of budget or something.

And now it's over... and I'm not sure how to feel about it. I haven't been the biggest fan of the show over the last few seasons, as I felt many of the things the show did and the over arching plots took away from what the show was, yet there was still episode I liked every season. I guess it's a bittersweet.

Eh, just turn it into a Mobius strip. Next week post a discussion thread for Friendship Is Magic parts one and two.

Honestly; looking at 'The Last Problem' Twilight really has become like Celestia: Forcing her student (against her will) to live in Equestria
My opinion of course. No one else might share that view

I more or less stopped watching the show once Starlight Glimmer became a part of the show. I get other people like her, but I just cant stand her. I've tried to like her but I can't.

And the start of a new one. We still got the season 10 comics and G5 to look forward to. Here's to hoping that they're as good as FiM.

I eventually broke down and watched "The Ending of the End" last night. And my personal feelings on it were...

But that's just me.

Gonna watch "The Last Problem" this morning, if I can.

Indeed. Avengers, Star Wars, MLP...any others that I'm missing?

Some of those eps you missed are pretty worth watching. Unless you just don't like Rainbow Dash in anything?

Anyway, have the eps actually aired yet? And if not, when will they?

They'll air around the time they usually do today, I think.

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

You can check on Equestria Daily, they usually have links for live streams.

I've never watched an episode of pony live in my life.

The Ending Of The End was a total dissapointment imo, and The LastProblem was an ok episode. But yeah, not a really good looking finale for almost a decade old show, at least for me.

Discord really pissed me off on this one and I can't believe they all gave him another chance, yet again.

Let's see if the movie does a bit well, hopefully better then the first...

I know I already made a summary of my thoughts on "The Ending of the End", but I figured I might as well go a bit more in depth so as to get my personal thoughts out there.

I thought "The Ending of the End" was great overall. I know some people have been saying they were disappointed, but to be honest, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I, like probably everyone else, was completely taken aback by the reveal that Discord was Grogar all along. I'm sure there's a million and one ways to unpack that, but I don't feel upset by it at all. Perhaps it has to do, in part, with the simple fact that I never cared for Grogar in the first place. And I think it's fitting that the cast's final battle is against their most dangerous opponents rather than some new ancient evil.

The action was terrific, I thought. The Starlight vs. Chrysalis battle was pretty much exactly the kind of magic-user battle that I've been wanting to see, with the teleporting and the using the environment to their advantage and what-not. And seeing almost every major supporting character and species charging into battle at the end was a sight to behold. I can't possibly be the only one to notice the cameos from Little Strongheart and her father.

I'm also glad to see that Celestia and Luna not only helped a lot more this time around, but actually lived through the finale. It may sound weird, but part of me was legitimately concerned that they would die. Long story, I won't bore you with it. I'm just happy that Best Moon Horse is alive and well.

Also, Alicorn Cozy Glow. Just...just Alicorn Cozy Glow. And Chaos Magic Pinkie. And Tempest Shadow!

Overall, "The Ending of the End" left me exhilarated, happy, and the exact opposite of disappointed. It had problems, to be sure, but in the end, I find it impossible to be mad or upset over it.

As for "The Last Problem"...to be honest, I didn't really have high hopes for this episode. Not that I thought it was bad, I just wasn't as hyped for it as I was for the previous two. But that song at the end...I'm still trying to process the feelings I felt during it. The show ending with closing the very same book that introduced us to the wonderful world of Equestria is exactly how I wanted the show to end.

In summary...I'm happy. I know other people might not be, and some may be quite vocal about it, but I for one am happy.

For the "The Ending of the End" I was disappointed Discord/Grogar didn't assume Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy Glow was working behind his back since that would be kinda obvious. Also the episode telegraphed this alliance of villains was fragile as they each had different ambitions after gaining power yet were defeated before this was really an issue for them. They easily could have gone with them losing by getting divided and taken out due to the villains inability to work as a team in the long run rather then by a friendship laser again.

As for "The Last Problem" we see a future where not much has changed in regard to the kingdom. It seems the school is still the big change Ponyville has had. This is odd given the theme of change and friendship in the episode as they could have easily driven change home by having Ponyville look more built up yet keeping landmarks so we the audience knows its Ponyville. I mean we already had the Pillars deal with Equestria itself changing in their absence yet here we only see changes on the individual level with the backdrop of Equestria mostly the same.

Yeah, they really didn't go either way with the villains - either becoming friends or falling apart -which kind of makes Frenemies a waste, if a fun one. It might have been cool (pun intended) if their empty hearts had seen them frozen by the windigoes, who could then be the target for the big final rainbow.

And I think Ponyville is probably maintaining it's image for heritage and touristic reasons. Might have been nice to see a phone box or something, though.

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Well I am out of my mind so I shall write my thoughts about the end episodes. This isn't something I usually like to do. Spoiler alert, I enjoyed them.

What's there to say actually. Traditionally MLP two-parters honestly never really grabbed me since villains were mostly uninteresting and solution tended to just happen at the end. And usually comedy was toned down because serious business episode! And shame that we end with Twilight focus instead of Mane Six as a whole focus but oh well, she who wears the crown is the main character. Heck, wish the final confrontation wasn't on some random grass field but instead was in Canterlot.

So why do I like finale? Well simply put it is because of villains. Now when they first were shown, Chrysalis and Tirek, they really weren't that interesting to me. Sure, queen of shapeshifters that feeds on love is bursting with potential but I never felt show used her well. And Tirek was just "muahaha, I am evil red centaur that happens to eat magic". But season 9 finally did something that I think show should have done ages ago, give character moments to villains instead creating new ones all the time as disposable tissue. The fact that Chrysalis, Tirek and Cozy had been actually preparing the whole season and spent time together allowed them to form chemistry. They joked, bantered, gloated, snarked and in general acted like characters. They didn't get reformed but hey I can respect that they stuck to their belief to the very end.

But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy good guys! Despite it being final development for Twilight I think whole cast had cool moment or two. Mane Six, Spike, Celestia, Luna, Discord, Starlight and heck at the end everyone participated. Our little ponies earned their happy ending. I do feel the student six part was kinda rushed but oh well, I am sucker anyway for everyone standing united to stop evil once and for all. Made me all warm and fuzzy.

So that's it. Not gonna go into further details. Oh, right epilogue. Um, I appreciate that the true end was a friendship lesson. Feels fitting, show was mostly about friendship and only rarely was about epic battles. Was emotional and hearthwarming. Can't say it is something I want to rewatch again. And that's it for now.

Where do I begin?

All along, Discord’s been posing as Grogar this whole time, just for the sake of “boosting” Twilight’s confidence.

And on top of that, the three villains hanged up on him and used the bell to sap away all of Discord’s powers, Celestia and Luna’s, and we learned that Tirek is nothing but a big whiner who has daddy issues.

But in the end, the three villains got their just desserts, because they’re beyond redemption.

Though, I wonder how Fluffle Puffle will take it? Especially when this is Queen Chrysalis we are talking about.

And then we go into future when Spike is Twilight’s trusted royal advisor/ambassador to all creatures...and surprise he’s big. And the girls have gotten older. Lyra and Bon Bon are married. Derpy is a baker.

If I’m not mistaken, Rainbow Dash and Applejack are confirmed to be lesbians and are married. Not that I have a problem. I just knew it was the inevitable.

Oh yeah. Twilight l’a new student, Luster Dawn is friends with a Kirin whom I believe is Rainshine’s daughter.

If I’m not mistaken, Rainbow Dash and Applejack are confirmed to be lesbians and are married. Not that I have a problem. I just knew it was the inevitable.

There hasn't been any official confirmations on that, has there?

No, it's ambiguous.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

I did generally enjoy the three episodes.

I had quibbles with some things. I wasn't sure of the pacing, and I still kinda feel like it might have been better if they'd stolen some time from the last episode for the other two somehow.

I was pretty sure for a while that things would end up hinging on the student six, but was expecting to actually see more of them. I also felt things were kinda deus ex machina at the end, which I was suspecting would happen when I noticed the runtime.

Admittedly, I was expecting someone to get ahold of the bell, and end things that way. And when Pinkie got ahold of it, I thought we had a new chaos god in the making.

I'm not sure I like Spike's new look, and would have liked Twilight's explained. Think I'm fine where things ended. I wouldn't mind if they started right there for G5 instead of rebooting, though I'd really like it if they didn't make her student the main character! How could she possibly have gotten that far without knowing anything Twilight had to explain to her?

I liked most of the glimpses we see of the future, though.

--Sweetie Belle

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Oh, also, the Pinkie and the Brain reference made my day...

--Sweetie Belle

The students part was the one bit of the finale I enjoyed without reservation. (Well OK, maybe the reservation that couldn't they have got the CMC for Cloudsdale/Canterlot instead of two noponies? But I guess it shows that the Student Six weren't the only ones who learnt anything.)

Twilight's new look was explained in an earlier draft that featured flashbacks from more points.

And I really don't want G5 in the same setting.

The final battle was MLP: Endgame

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Scoots was in the Cloudsdale scene at one point, I'm pretty sure, too. Though, since she can't fly, she'd probably not be able to get away from Cloudadale at that point. I was happy to see them and the actual general populace being a factor, though. Too often, most of the ponies in Equestria don't matter.

Wish they hadn't cut that, then.

I'd kinda like a mini-series starring Celestia and Luna after they left. I enjoyed "Between Dusk and Dawn", and would love more...

--Sweetie Belle

Yeah, but I wanted them to speak up like the students.

Pinkie Pie became a mom. I didn't think she would be the one one to be a mom.

The 4th wall: Pinkie Pie's not going to be around forever. When her time comes, I'll be safe again!

Pinkie Pie: Wanna bet? *bangs Cheese Sandwich and has a foal, which breaks the 4th wall on her birth*

4th wall: FUUUUUUUUUCK!!

So epic... So emotional... So perfect.

Dreadnought

The saga is complete. The book is finally closed.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

7020033 7020374

I was wondering that myself. Also, are Fluttershy and Discord officially a couple? And how did Gummy grow up not into a vicious alligator that ate everypony?

Dreadnought

I'd kinda like a mini-series starring Celestia and Luna after they left. I enjoyed "Between Dusk and Dawn", and would love more...

I would totally be down for that. The Two Sisters are probably my two favorite characters in the whole show, and I'd love to see them go on some adventures of their own.

I sure wouldn't mind that either. Those two are pretty fun together!

I would want a mini-series with Starlight and Trixie more, but I'll be all for more Sunbutt and Moonbutt adventures!

Now for me to finally talk about this finale, because it MESSED ME UP.

I watched finale from the leaks on August 27 and I've been devastated ever since. And that's not an exaggeration. It really does feel like the death of a loved one.

The Ending of the End: I didn't like the Discord twist AT ALL, but it does make sense for Discord to do what he did. Otherwise, great action-packed two-parter. Not much to complain about.

The Last Problem: I love how they ended the show on a friendship problem episode. The flashbacks were very emotional, and I was smiling for Twilight and her coronation as if she was a real person. But that song. That song in the end broke me. And I'm someone who's usually very unaffected by shows ending. And to make it worse for me, they just had to include that final shot of the older Mane 6 on the hill and the book finally closing.

I know we have the season 10 comics, but I have a feeling they'll take place in the 20ish year timeskip, meaning that the shot of the Mane 6 on the hill is the last we'll see of them EVER chronologically.

That's heartbreaking. And "The Magic of Friendship Grows" is still stuck in my head which makes the situation worse. Bravo to the creators of this show. They really know how to play to our emotions and keep us invested in this universe.

Don't forget Discord's "Fly, you fool!' reference to LOTR.

One thing I'm curious about;Where's the real Grogar? Is he dead or did Discord plunk his fuzzy butt in his chaos dimension?

According to leaks the original fate of Grogar was that the bell was used to banish him a thousand years ago. Maybe he'll come back in the season 10 comics but it's a stretch.

I didn't like the Discord twist AT ALL, but it does make sense for Discord to do what he did.

I have no issue with Discord overall plan yet he was hit with the stupid stick. It should not be that easy to trick Discord, he should have had planned this out including that they would betray him as Grogar (especially with Discord's falling out with Tirek). It would be more realistic if Discord's plan unravelled due to Discord's overconfidence and an unforeseen event, that Discord didn't plan them to get so far and failed in being the safety net he described himself as to be.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

That was a good one, too.

--Sweetie Belle

What was it? I feel like it flew over my head.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 58