The Writers' Group 9,303 members · 56,546 stories
Comments ( 53 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 53

This is for a little survey I'm also running on some other websites. I have no wish to argue ethics, religion, morality, etc. I just want to know how you react (if you react at all) to seeing foul language in a fic, chat, forum, etc.

Do you get all "fire and brimstone" on the poster, or are you the poster in the first place? Perhaps you just ignore it, don't care either way, or perhaps you even leave the page/fic altogether. (just covering all my bases)

Eh
Eh #2 · Aug 24th, 2013 · · ·

It's the internet, who gives a fuck.

1595635 I honestly give no fucks.

1595635 I'm fine with swearing - it's actually a good way to drive some points home.

With even more foul language, usually.

I use it. Not often, but when I do, I make sure that every trucker and sailor in attendance goes pale!

I dislike it when people overuse swears, since it makes them lose their meaning. However, I've become rather numbed to it. This is the internet after all.

I'm a bloody viking. Swearing is barely a social taboo here as it is, and add in the desensitization you get from Internet Therapy, I barely react in any way at all. Unless, of course, it's properly (or improperly) used from a literary standpoint. :)

1595635 I react with foul language.

Foul language? Bitch-fucking-please. This is the internet. Now, if it's a fic and someone swears all the time, then I'll probably stop reading because you need to use the right amount of language.

I don't react to it. I use it very rarely in writing, and never in my speech. It's just not classy to me. If you swear a lot, I find it hard to take you seriously (stories that have characters swear a lot in general are hard to take seriously, too); excessive use comes off as cheap filler and a way to add cheap impact.

If you ask me, foul language makes people listen to what you're saying. It serves as an attention grabber :3

I find no point in using foul language unless it's part of a story. I don't mind other people using it. If that's what floats their boat, let them sail in it.:twilightsmile:

It depends on the intent. If it's in a fic, and the usage suits the situation, its fine. If it's used in a casual, non-serious context in proper conversation, that's also fine, as long as it fits the situation.

Tedious repitition of swears for no reason is just plain annoying.

It's when people start to use any form of language in order to insult and offend others that I take umbridge with.

Afterall, they are just words, it's the meaning that counts.

Depends.
Sometimes it's more infuriating to others to react politely to an insult.
Sometimes it's needed to drive home a particular point, like how pointless and fucking shitty that piece of disgusting blistering garbage Gone Home is, but most of the time is not as necessary.

There also those times when swearing and acting like idiots is the best type of interaction among particular type of users.

I wouldn't swear with someone like Luminary or Fervidor but I'm more than happy to act like an asshat with Regidar or MusicMan.

Context, brah. Context.

edit: I try to avoid them at all cost on stories. Swearing is just as tasteless as gore.

1595635 Depends. If it's in moderation or relevant, I can handle it. I don't like excessive, unnecessary profanity just because it takes away the power they have. Profanity used to be so taboo and the words conveyed extremes, and now they're just tossed about willy-nilly and have lost their importance.

Well, I really don't mind it. Usually, I try not to swear on chats/forums/fics/etc. because I know that it can be impolite at times and try to censor myself, but in reality I swear a lot. Like, more-than-a-sailor lot. So it doesn't often affect me.
I actually enjoy fics that use foul language like that, like I Blame You. I think it's pretty funny how creative some people can be with their words :rainbowlaugh:

If I'm reading a clopfic, I don't care. Otherwise, I'd prefer the swearing be kept to a minimum. When authors purposefully make a character that's constantly letting the strong words fly, I get annoyed very quickly.

1595638>>1595639>>1595700>>1595694>>1595681>>1595678>>1595676>>1595674>>1595664>>1595659>>1595656>>1595654>>1595648>>1595646>>1595645>>1595644>>1595641

My thanks for your responses.

1595733 The only word I -- and maybe everyone else here, I'm not sure -- can't stand is 'cunt'. It sounds pretty cruel, even by the standards of me -- which is saying something -- and it's pretty rough. It just doesn't sound right.

Joke's on you. I love calling Rainbow Dash a cunt.

Long ago on a thread in here, I remember that I described Dash on the lines of "She likes to go fast and is a cunt".
It's not like I don't like her but she is kind of a cunt.

I curse only when I deem it appropriate. I don't really care when I see cursing on posts and don't really say anything about it unless it devolves into pervasive swearing. When someone is spewing a bunch of racial/prejudice swears which to me just make me assume the user is a moron who thinks they're being witty and give them little concern or notice after, because reactions are clearly what they're going for and the best way to deal with them is to deny them your attention.

1595794 The reason why I don't like it goes along very well with why Louis C.K. doesn't.

I use it all the time depending on context. I almost never write swears (though my newest story has a foul mouthed Babs Seed because I am adapting/ writing a crossover where the main character swears like a sailor.Damn you Stephen King and your foulmouthery!) But other than that- no.

I just find that you don't need to swear all the time. They are just words; its the intent behind them that gets to me. There are certain words that I just don't say almost any circumstance. (Mostly the ones that demean women.) :applecry:

1595635 Me? I see swearing as one of four things. One, an insult. If you use it so, you suck. :rainbowwild: Two, emphasis. If so, then you're like me in reality. :pinkiehappy: Three, a grab for attention. If that's the way you use it, then you need to learn better ways of getting respect, as all you're going to get from me is disdain. (It's the same way I react to shouting) :ajbemused: And four, when you're making a normally serious person swear. Then, it's hilarious! :rainbowlaugh:

1595635 In and out of my fiction, it gets used. I'm not really bothered by it, as I used to and still do swear like a sailor; being in the Navy helps.
It can make an impact when a normally "quiet and nice" character suddenly breaks out swearing, even if it's "only" a damn or hell. Conversely (go look it up), it can be noticed by its absence, such as when the loud, foul-mouthed one suddenly goes soft-spoken, articulate and polite. It lets you know something is going down, and that you might need to duck.

1595635 If the language is kept at a mature level (and by that I mean, not swearing every second word because no one wants to read a story written by a child who's trying to play at being an adult), then I'm fine with it.

In moderation, I don't mind. Often it can even spice up a conversation, and some of the funniest people I've met online swear habitually.

On the other hand, people who use bad words constantly for no real reason other than to sound tough always make me think of a kid who's trying really hard to sound very grown up.

I swear like a sailor, it runs in the family.

I have an extremely foul mouth, so it doesn't bother me.

Writing wise. Curse all you want, it just needs to make sense in the story's context.

What the fuck kind of shit-eating, cunt-licking question is that? :trollestia:

I'm ex-military. Profanity used to be part of my everyday speech, but I've calmed down a bit since I got out. Still, it doesn't really bother me as long as it's not obviously some 8-year-old trying to sound cool (believe me, it shows).

Well, I for one have a tendency to ramble into swearing when I am frustrated.
Heck, you should have seen me play video games when I was a youngster.
Granted, I have been curbing my usage on it, and I would never for one use it in every day conversations, unless it is to make a solid point on something.

Otherwise I just swear in the words that I have jacked from the Russian and German languages.
Considering that it is a dubious prospect that anyone will know what scheisse even means, I use it freely without fear of retaliation.

Otherwise I am tight lipped most of the time.

"Mom, if you were in a German scheisse video, you'd tell me, right?" -- Eric Cartman :rainbowlaugh:

I've known for years and years, since long before South Park. But I approve of your idea anyway, 'cause you're right, most people wouldn't know.

Mostly when writing my fic I try to find MLP equivalents to indecent language which would not register as indecent language in English.
For example, 'service' would be the equivalent of either 's*x', 'intercourse', or 'f**c' as far as a pony should be concerned, depending on context as either an action or a swear word. "Lift my tail for x", would be the filly equivalent of "Allow x to do me."

1595635 My reaction? I don't care. I hate it when people overuse it in fics, but I have no moral qualms about it.

I don't like to curse myself, but it doesn't bother me when others do it provided they're not subjecting me to rancor along with it. Some people get really ugly when they get angry and when they're cursing on top of that, I find it a bit off-putting.

1595794>>1597080>>1596775>>1596733>>1596551>>1596513>>1596420>>1596357>>1596307>>1596150>>1596144>>1596076>>1596052>>1596044>>1595967>>1595860>>1595843>>1595798>>1595794

My thanks to you as well.

1595794 RAINBOW DASH IS BEST PONY AND YOU'RE NOT EVEN A PONY YOU'RE A FUCKING TREE!

Luz

*no fucks were given that day

1595635 I like swearing when it is used effectively. Using expletives without much consideration before hand makes me generally shaking my head at what the person is writing. (Though this happens with more than just swears. I just dislike it when people use inappropriate words)

I don't mind so much in the comments. But when authors include swearing in a story for no good reason... I am quite quickly disengaged from the story itself.

1597405 I agree, but there are times when a long run of swearing lets you know just how torqued-off and frustrated someone really is.

Swearing can be useful, but usually it's not.

For instance, if you want to show that your character is beyond ticked off (side note: pissed is technically a swear as well, and can also be good if used sparingly), it has more impact for them to yell "This is bullshit!" than for them to yell "This is garbage!"

At the same time, if every other word is a swear, that loses all meaning. Ironically, it may become more jarring for them not to swear or curse.

I try to limit my usage of cussing, personally.

1595635 Now that you mention it... I do use a lot of cutaways, and fadeouts to block swearing in my stories, which is weird since in general I don't have any problems with swearing (sort of an extansion of the whole "sticks and stones" thing).

Swearing is awesome and a totally legitimate form of expression.

That said, like any kind of language, use it creatively and not like an idiot.

Deadder
Group Contributor

Ooh, it all depends. Generally, I greet happily with open arms and always try to have a civil conversation. When I swear; either I try to get a point through, emphasis anything I say, or insult. I rarely insult and I'll get to that in a minute.

If I'm infuriated with a subject, I swear like a little white spoiled brat. Or more to a sailor. Hell, I can swear here I want to! But am I trying to get a point through? No, I'll stop my mouth from spewing those words.

Emphasis on a subject gets me fired up like a drill sergeant. I posted those threats a few times to get steam out and feel relaxed afterwards.

Insult? Like I said, I rarely insult. Why? Let me explain.

If someone called me a 'faggot', what do I do? I say 'Thanks' very warm heartily and not strike back. Why is that?

The insulter wants to see you enraged and flame back. If I'm insulted - I don't treat it like an insult. Simple as that.

I've never been truly mad at someone over the internet yet. But if someone does - they'll feel my wrath... :pinkiecrazy:

1601018 ((ok, I told myself I wouldn't reply to anybrony on this particular thread besides a simple thank you but what you said reminded me of one my favorite quotes))

He who takes offense where none is intended, is a fool. But he that takes offense when offense is intended, is a greater fool.

I usually try and find away around using foul language, but I'm not offended by it. If you're swearing like a sailor, however, and making yourself look like an idiot with nothing more intelligent to say, then I might get a little annoyed, but other than that, I don't care!

I try and keep swearing out of my writing as much as possible. Know why? Because when a character does swear, the impact is greater.

Deadder
Group Contributor

Pretty much.:derpytongue2:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 53