The Writers' Group 9,314 members · 56,643 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

In an earlier post, I made an offhand comment saying you shouldn't rely on inspiration, and got a surprising amount of pushback.

Then I realized what I'd done wrong.

I hadn't defined what I meant by "inspiration."

Here's what the dictionary has to say about it:

•the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.
•a sudden brilliant, creative, or timely idea.

These are the most relevant definitions.

The process of being stimulated to do something, and a sudden brilliant idea.

The most common misunderstanding that seemed to crop up was this:

"Inspiration is necessary! Saying you should never use inspiration is bad!"

I never said that you shouldn't use inspiration. If you get a sudden brilliant idea, go for it. That's how I write a lot of my one-shots. I'm saying you should rely on more than just inspiration.

Sometimes you will get a brilliant idea. Sometimes you will just suddenly feel mentally stimulated to do something. When this happens, write. Your writing will be better, clearer, and more awesome in every way.

It is perfectly fine to write only when inspiration strikes. This is fanfiction. Above all else, do what you want. Have fun. The dislike button irks me and I'd like to rant against it because it goes against this, but that's off topic.

Anyway. Yes, it's fine to write only off inspiration.

But if you want to get really good, you can't.

Inspiration is what makes writing fun. But you can't just rely on it all the time if you want to be a dedicated writer, because it comes and goes. And the more you rely on it, the less you'll be able to.

If you're the kind of person that wants to be able to set deadlines, to write consistently, and to write better, you can't just rely on a feeling that comes and goes. You'll have to use techniques.

But which dictionary? Webster? Oxford?

The Google definition.

Still better than Merriam-Webster, in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure no one has ever written a fic solely based on inspiration. Inspiration is simply the first step. Then you go into techniques. Someone who wrote a story with only inspiration would find it hard to do more than think.

Also why

Did you type

This comment

like this? This could have been

all in one paragraph

and been more clear.

Muhahaha. When you say something full of blank lines, the minds of the readers will fill in the blanks. That is inspiration of a sort. Sometimes.

I'd recommend you write more clear and concise. Raw factuals and your conclusions from your feelings. No added bricks.

When you write a statement in it's own paragraph. It's like pushing it forth as a self-standing truth. Without proper set up, this can seem pretentious, arrogant, and a waste of people's time. (screw grammar) Such is my opinion. Please brush up on your presentation skills.

Thanks for the tips.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7