The Writers' Group 9,324 members · 56,773 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

I realise I am not in the right space to diplomatically handle this question in front of me, courtesy of events IRL (not saying what, 'cuz there's no reason to pile my troubles on you guys, as you've plenty of your own). On m' latest, a reader has asked me if a specific character is gonna show up somewhere down the line. I see no reason to provide spoilers, but don't want to come across as a jerk, and with where I'm at emotionally, I fear I will be said jerk or worse.

How do you guys handle such questions in an admirable way?

You'll just have to wait and find out!:twilightsmile:

5572118 Just politely say 'I'd rather not answer that, given that the answer may or may not influence how certain chapters are perceived.' It gives you the benefit of also pointing out that, if you were to answer, it'd definitely color their perception of how certain chapters are read.

Just say no spoilers, put your foot down, be firm. They have to wait to read it like everybody else.

Obviously be polite about it, but don't be afraid to get serious if need be. It's your story and it's up to you how to present it. Don't cave.

5572118 I would say tantalise the reader make a mystery of it, make it ambiguous. Don't commit to a single path and make it seem like anything could happen.

Once again, we get to the benefits of writing the *whole* story first and publishing it one chapter at a time.
Reader: Spoiler! Plz!
Me: Wait three days.

Or there's always the trolling answer:

Lord Morgraine Thissledown certainly filled up the casket, with all of the weight he had put on in the last weeks of his life. It had taken six stout ponies to lift it, and that was with a few nearby onlookers quietly adding a little bit of magical boost to their strength, and even then it made a ground-shaking thud when dropped next to the open grave for the final words.

"I thought I was going to break my back," whispered Thudmore to his brother Smirk. "What did he make that out of, lead?"

Smirk shrugged. "He was a little loopy in his last days. Made a lot of orders. Something about if you can't take it with you..."

Both earth ponies suddenly took a long, long look at the casket before Thudmore reached out one hoof and drew it along the side, revealing a long, golden line beneath the paint.

"I guess you can take it with you," said Smirk.

I usually try to include some light teasing without giving anything away. I had a reader in shock at something I did in a story, and when they asked about it, declaring that I must be trying to fool them, I replied by telling them that I had taken note that they had predicted such and such would happen. I went on to tell them that if they were right, they get a cookie. If they are wrong, they have to give me a cookie. Then I made a wicked grin, and they began begging me not to cheat just to get a cookie. :P

Good luck!

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

Sometimes not replying at all might just be the most apt course to take in regards of whether or not to reveal spoilers.

"Only time will tell. Be patient, young grasshopper."

5572118 River Song usually helps to assuage people.

5572118 When this happens to me, I PM them an answer which is a red herring.

Same.

I'd love to answer but, um.

Answer that you haven`t planned this far ahead and que sera sera.

wlam #14 · Oct 18th, 2016 · · 1 ·

Is this seriously such a big deal that it merits making a thread over it? Can the simple information "you've seen the last of him/you haven't seen the last of him" seriously "ruin" someone's perception of your story? Is there an actual reason for you to feel that strongly about it, or is this just irrational pride about a minor thing that most people wouldn't really consider all that important one way or the other?

Honestly, think about that.

River Song is best spoiler.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15