The Writers' Group 9,298 members · 56,449 stories
Comments ( 35 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 35

I know goodies, flowers, apples, and bread... what else? :twilightsmile:

What would they order at a restaurant?

eggs, humans, grass, leafy things

923737 they dont eat, they drink :rainbowwild:

*sighs*

If you watched the series closely, you'd have seen and heard a number of kinds of foods they have to eat in their universe.

Horses are known to be able to digest meat, but it won't be able to absorb all the protein that it provides. The meat might simply just pass through its system.
source info

Jerky. It's how Mac and AJ grew up big and STRON.

According to Pinkie Pie, they're vegetarian.

Call me stupid... but I honestly don't remember... :facehoof:

Hibiscus and gravy.

923777 Hay, oats, fruits, veggies, and breads all come to mind immediately, with candies thrown in there as well

But what do they eat at restaurants? :twilightsmile:

A rare delicacy in their world is the fecal matter of chimps raised solely off of the bark of willow trees grown in the Everfree forest

Hay fries, marshmallows, vanilla lemon drops, daffodil & daisy sandwiches, pie, cupcakes, cake & apple related things, salad, peppermint sticks, gingerbread houses, muffins, taffy, jam, toast, eggs, s`mores, various fruit & vegetation, beans, soup, cinnamon rolls, popcorn, cookies, potato chips, soda, eclairs, donuts, chocolate mousse, chocolate, jello and chimicherrychungas. These are the types of food in the show that I`ve seen. Also, the Crystal Empire has a crystal version of most of these.

What do ponies eat?
SOULS.

(But seriously, this might help you.)

Weirdly enough, no potato products have been mentioned. Everything normally spud-related turns into hay-related due to the Rule of Funny, I guess.

No, actually in Applebuck Season, Applejack adds Potato Chips or "Tater Chips" to Pinkie Pie's muffin recipe rather than chocolate chips, adding to the "Baked Bads" effect, so they do have potatoes in Equestria...

For canon? It's herbivores. Now for fan fiction I would say that some would eat meat. Specifically the pegasi. They would IMO be omnivores. Fruits and veggies would simply not be enough as they would burn tons of energy flying. They would need to have a solid diet of meat to maintain the proper muscle mass, and get enough protein to stay healthy and active. I could also see earth ponies like this too, seeing as how they are very active and hard working beings.

923753 <- This, but it is extremely evident from the show that Equestrian ponies are vegetarians. They do not eat meat. Think of Hindus. They don't eat meat. But there might be one or two oddball ones who do, much to the dismay of their peers. This is also a good comparison for ponies that may be living with and around griffons, in India, a lot of Hindus live around meat-eating Muslims.

924311 NOAP. No omnivorous ponies.

I don't get the pegasi-eating-fish thing. That's ridiculous. They're not somehow related to birds! If they were, then by extension all pony races would be. Besides. Not all birds eat fish!

You're basing pony biology on human biology, and their evolution based on ours. Making assumptions about how their metabolism works and how much protein there is in common hay and stuff. What if Equestrian hay has tons of protein in it? You know they eat eggs and stuff too right?

I support this motion.
Also, I blame Xenophilia for putting that image in our heads.

924426 :pinkiehappy:

You know, I still haven't read that...

You're basing pony biology on human biology, and their evolution based on ours.

I agree with you; those assumptions are pretty much useless in a high-magic environment.

924487 Indeed, magic screws with everything.

Things ponies eat:
Nuts
Pulses
Fruit
Vegetables
Leafy salad leaves
Confection
Hay
Haylage (dried compressed hay)
Cilage (dried compressed flak)
Possibly fungi
And at one point Pinkie eats rainbow (it's not perverse, Pinkie goes to the cloud factory and tastes the rainbow pool, it still sounds wrong)

:pinkiegasp:

923737 They are omnivores but they never eat meat because they aren't manly enough.

Hay Bacon Strips :trollestia:

Luminary
Group Contributor

I'm guessing that it's for one of two reasons, most of the time:
For one, the reaction you just showed. Some authors would probably get a kick out of trolling their oh-so-sensitive readers.

People also possibly just think it's a neat idea, in 'it's different' or 'pegasi are just badass' sort of ways.

Sib

What about eggs? In Sisterhooves Social, Rarity makes her and Sweetie Belle two plates of them sunny side up.

928984 I could see the trolling thing. But the problem is, it's most often in serious stories. 'Serious' as in not trollfics. As for 'different' I suppose I can respect that. Doesn't mean I agree.

It's still stupid.

BTW has anyone mentioned grass pancakes? Because I'm 90% sure that is canon.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 35